Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

And he criticized what bad booking it was.

should have never been a heel wrestler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/roylucier/status/1273692051821826048

Clean out your drat shed, Dave

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

While I'm guessing the claims came because of the more recent shows it sucks that this happened after CMLL stopped letting their footage get freely uploaded to youtube.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bryan deadpan saying "I don't know what poggers are but thank you for getting them in the chat" on Observer Live loving slayed me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

njsykora posted:

It didn't get me until Bryan said he's never been in the same room as Andre the Giant either.

Dave dismissively waving that off and laying out his reasoning for continuing the Marvez stuff was hilarious too :)

"Has anybody ever claimed Andre the Giant wrote Death of WCW?"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

listened to WOL today because it ended up in the b+v feed today, got a kick out of bryan asking someone their name and talking about how he asks for names so he can figure out who’s calling, then immediately getting the next caller’s name wrong

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

It's Friday, and that means a new Rudocast episode! Steve and I talk New Japan, AEW, and we get a cameo from Effy giving some advice for Scotty on how to get more OnlyFans subscribers!

Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiHkbUJg7s4

Audio -

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-rudos-podcast/id1468336480

https://open.spotify.com/show/2SqoJSz5Ans40LZIfwFrIg?si=AyQkpWCoSR6cVEY-ypXvhg

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hardlaser-audio/rudos-podcast?refid=stpr

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9ydWRvc3BvZGNhc3QubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3M

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
in the newest WOL Bryan says 'theres a gigantic spider climbing on the wall' and i thought it was some kind of weird metaphor about the systemic problems in wrestling but no, there was an actual gigantic spider climbing on his wall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Seams posted:

in the newest WOL Bryan says 'theres a gigantic spider climbing on the wall' and i thought it was some kind of weird metaphor about the systemic problems in wrestling but no, there was an actual gigantic spider climbing on his wall.

Bryan's analogies have now gotten so bad that they're literally manifesting into reality inside his studio :ohdear:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Was that plane ride story where (I think) Warrior and Jannetty dosed the college kids with GHB confirmed as true?

Because Chioda talks about a "rib" where college kids - guys and one girl - had their heads shaved on a plane ride after saying wrestling's fake. Including shaving half of the girl's head, which I'm thinking was in that story. :stare:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i wouldn't doubt it. nash tells stories about guys dosing people with GHB. they used to do it to each other so you'd have to sit around with your hand over your drink.

its pretty sick poo poo.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Seams posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that at first!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dango Bango posted:

Was that plane ride story where (I think) Warrior and Jannetty dosed the college kids with GHB confirmed as true?

Because Chioda talks about a "rib" where college kids - guys and one girl - had their heads shaved on a plane ride after saying wrestling's fake. Including shaving half of the girl's head, which I'm thinking was in that story. :stare:

It's a story that Marty himself posted so either it's true or he decided to lie about it.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

"there are women who play the game too for pushes, aggressively if you know what I'm saying, it' not just all guys are pigs and the women are pure, everything is a shade of grey" - Dave Meltzer

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

collocation posted:

"there are women who play the game too for pushes, aggressively if you know what I'm saying, it' not just all guys are pigs and the women are pure, everything is a shade of grey" - Dave Meltzer

Pretty dumb thing to say because wrestling is inherently patriarchal. Almost no women have positions of power in the industry, and most who have had it preyed on other women. Dave has a messed up blind spot for women's issues.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dave loves handwaving away racism and misogyny. He's a boomer through and through

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ah yes, the game. It's an equal give and take you see

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

collocation posted:

There's bad folks on both sides one might say.

Get hosed Dave

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

Pretty dumb thing to say because wrestling is inherently patriarchal. Almost no women have positions of power in the industry, and most who have had it preyed on other women. Dave has a messed up blind spot for women's issues.

Dixie Carter used her position to sleep with half a dozen wrestlers that we know about and we've just seen how the situation with the Cornettes has gone down.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pinche Rudo posted:

Dave loves handwaving away racism and misogyny. He's a boomer through and through
Bryan does too, and he's just a few years past being a Millennial.

Popular culture responded to political correctness in the 90s by portraying anybody who cared about social issues as a shrill harpy or a feckless wimp just trying to cause trouble and being purposely offended by everything.

It's a reputation that continues to this day.

People literally still think of Marcy Darcy when you mention feminism.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't think anyone thinks of Marcy Darcy any time someone mentions anything in 2020

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Alaois posted:

i don't think anyone thinks of Marcy Darcy any time someone mentions anything in 2020
You would be wrong. boomers, gen Xers, and older millennials still walk the earth and many of their views are informed by comedy shows.

Just look at South Park for gently caress's sake.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

there's a difference between a show that is on currently and one that was on in the 90s

Suge D mentioned Al Bundy on Jericho's podcast, and I still haven't thought about Marcy Darcy this millenium

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Dixie Carter used her position to sleep with half a dozen wrestlers that we know about

Wait what

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

There had been rumors for many years that Dixie was sleeping with wrestlers and jokes that it might be some cuck thing with Serg. (It is believed this is the dirt that Nash had on Dixie that got him out of his TNA contract.) Fans would see her holding hands with Raven at shows, but there was never direct confirmation.

A few years later Bruce Mitchell posted this quiz in the Torch as a funny way to confirm it

I believe there was someone else who got a Hernandez like push off of it too but I don't remember who. It's a company with a completely hosed up history of sexual harassment and abuse, much of it against women but some against men too. Just a completely hosed up company in every respect.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 21, 2020

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

People literally still think of Marcy Darcy when you mention feminism.

I literally don't know who the gently caress you are talking about, I'm not going to say that you are entirely wrong, but your point is related to a comedy show character I guess? Like if I divorce the point from the reference, it stands up just fine.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah I want to be clear I'm not saying your point is wrong, because it isn't, what I'm saying is who the gently caress is Marcy Darcy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alaois posted:

yeah I want to be clear I'm not saying your point is wrong, because it isn't, what I'm saying is who the gently caress is Marcy Darcy

She is everyone who agrees with JK Rowling.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Married With Children is one of those shows that was allegedly super popular but I don't know a single person who actually watched it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Benne posted:

Married With Children is one of those shows that was allegedly super popular but I don't know a single person who actually watched it

My uncle is a married with children super fan ama

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I watched syndicated episodes of that show. i watched Northern Exposure as well. that's a good one to watch. YOu may also want to consider trying Murder, She Wrote and seeing if any episodes catch your interest.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Expecting anybody in 2020 to give you an honest answer about whether they watched/enjoyed Married With Children is a bit much. Show aged baaaaaaaaaaaaad

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I enjoyed it when i was watching those re-runs and possibly even a new episode a couple of times in 1995 to 1998 or thereabouts. I was age 9 to 12 during that time and didn't fully understand how lovely the basis for the comedic jokes were. I wouldn't enjoy watching it today. Especially remembering how they went out of their way to hire bigger women to play annoying bags of gas who al bundy could belittle and harass to the raucous delight of the studio audience.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a2wEMeKJ7g

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
*flushes toilet*

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dsriggs posted:

Expecting anybody in 2020 to give you an honest answer about whether they watched/enjoyed Married With Children is a bit much. Show aged baaaaaaaaaaaaad

The show wasn't exactly considered progressive at the time, either. It's not Home Improvement where the show actually thinks the chauvinism is correct. They were definitely courting an audience of people who would think Al was right, but they were also making fun of them.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I watched MWC when I was a kid but quit watching it by age 13 or 14. When the DVD boom started in the early 2000s one of the first ones I bought was season one of the show and I couldn't even finish it. I was still an immature poo poo head in my early 20s but I realized that this show aged terribly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

now this is the married with children content i'm familiar with

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My only real memory of MWC is the episode where Al and his friends are trying to install a satellite dish on the Bundy’s roof and everyone keeps falling off the roof and onto the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Shows like Married with Children and All in the Family are interesting studies in that they fall into this place where the satire isn't obvious enough to the ignorant segment of the audience to realize they're being made fun of, or that something is meant as social commentary, so they instead start to idolize and prop up the show as being something that represents their values.

I can only imagine today the show would fall into the "South Park" situation where the show is either beloved or reviled on a week to week basis as the views of the creators lean more left or right.