Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nate RFB posted:

I have not beaten PV yet obviously but I can already tell that the Pantheon of the Knight is way less of an overall pain in the rear end than the one with Zote in it, made it to the end on like my second try.

Pure Vessel is the best fight in the game IMO and Pantheon of the Knight has several fights that we already refights in the base game. It was a tough one but it felt very satisfying to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is weirdly merciful of the game to let you at least get some practice in against PV in Godseeker mode.

E: :cool:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 11, 2020

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I beat Pure Vessel and Radiance! I’ve officially beaten every boss in the game (except Absolute Radiance, but I’ve already decided I’ll never even be able to see it).

Pure Vessel was a LOT harder than Radiance.

What an amazing game. Definitely the most satisfied I’ve ever felt playing a video game.

Looking forward to Silksong.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like by the end I could pretty reliably get to the final stages of Pure Vessel without taking a hit or at least at full health, and every time it was the loving black tendrils that'd put me on tilt. They don't even seem to be that difficult of a move to dodge but my reflexes wind up so wired for his other moves that it always takes me by surprise and I can't quite react in time. NKG by comparison has what felt like to me faster attacks with smaller windows but he uses the same arsenal throughout so once you're in the zone it's like riding a bike.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I did path of pain also for the hell of it and that final screen took me waaaay too long. My palms were sweating, it was not a fun time. I’m going to put this game down now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

at least you got a nice t-shirt

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*t-shirt delivery pending, please check your postal box in dirtmouth for updates on shipping

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This game is so weird in that I've played it and gotten to the final boss but what you're all talking about sounds like a completely different game with different areas.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Reached the Pure Vessel, and yeah that pantheon just feels like it's a lot easier than the third one. Gave up after 2 attempts and decided to practice a bit in that big hall of boss fights. And then decided to go up to Radiant difficulty on sisters of battle, because that fight owns, and then just started from the bottom and started working through other bosses on Radiant difficulty too. It's been pretty fun so far. I had the most difficulty on Hornet since she's a little faster and less predictable than most other bosses. I have old lady reflexes but with practice I've been knocking these out one at a time.

ilmucche posted:

This game is so weird in that I've played it and gotten to the final boss but what you're all talking about sounds like a completely different game with different areas.

Godhome adds some new bosses, and new areas that are easy to miss. Like it's really weird that access to Godhome stuff is located in some corner of the royal waterways, after you open a sarcophagus and dreamnail a big fancy bug; most games would put it in a more obvious place, like literally a new bug would show up in Dirtmouth. I like it better this way I think

I really do like the new bosses in Godhome, they're all excellent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RCarr posted:

I did path of pain also for the hell of it and that final screen took me waaaay too long. My palms were sweating, it was not a fun time. I’m going to put this game down now.
:hfive:

I originally wasn't going to bother when the original White Palace run was harrowing enough but between your own odyssey and that being the last thing I think I can reasonably do outside of Godhome I figured I'd at least give it a try.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ilmucche posted:

it's just some new fun bosses sandwiched by the most tedious bullshit

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like by the end I could pretty reliably get to the final stages of Pure Vessel without taking a hit or at least at full health, and every time it was the loving black tendrils that'd put me on tilt. They don't even seem to be that difficult of a move to dodge but my reflexes wind up so wired for his other moves that it always takes me by surprise and I can't quite react in time. NKG by comparison has what felt like to me faster attacks with smaller windows but he uses the same arsenal throughout so once you're in the zone it's like riding a bike.

for me it's his counter and that empty jump he does sometimes just to gently caress with you if you're pogoing him

and not even if you're pogoing too much, hit him like once and it's suddenly jump o clock

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RCarr posted:

I did path of pain twice, the first time I died at the fight at the end :negative:

though once you reach the end once it's not actually that hard to do again

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yinlock posted:

I did path of pain twice, the first time I died at the fight at the end :negative:

though once you reach the end once it's not actually that hard to do again

I probably would have broken my controller if that happened to me. I died at least 5 times on the last dash to get through the blades which is completely trivial compared to the rest of that screen. My hands were so sweaty and I was just totally on tilt making stupid mistakes like swinging sideways when trying to pogo at the end.

I absolutely adore this game though. I’ve never seen a game so hard in difficulty that was tuned just right to let you suffer but constantly improve in skill, enough to overcome each challenge.

I quit at one point content with never even attempting NKG more than a few times because I thought I knew id never beat it. Then came back and beat him after just willing myself to do so. Same with Pure Vessel and the first 3 pantheons.

I’ve had friends try it and quit because it’s too hard and I just want to urge them to keep at it because there’s so much amazing content, but I understand everyone has their limit.

Edit: Radiance seemed too easy after NKG and PV, and I’d love to be able to try Absolute Radiance, but I’m not putting myself through the gauntlet.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Without further comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjbPMfClZo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

For what it's worth throwing my hat in Absolute Radiance being satisfying.

I wouldn't be against like a single checkpoint being added but I felt pretty good when i did it :shrug:

E: It's not worth it to a lot of people as it is super tough but like, I don't think it's right to say 'it's not worth it' or anything if you like ultra hard challenges in the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having done some runs to unlock Sisters of Battle and Winged Nosk, I think it comes down to frustrations and exhaustion from some of the changes made to the more minor bosses to make them more difficult. Having to fight 40+ bosses in a row with no checkpoints, culminating in NKG/PV/AR, is already bad enough. Suddenly having to play hot potato with the platforms with Xero doesn't make that fight better, just stressful, and that's stress that builds up over the run surprisingly fast. Or Uumuu, that fight was terrible vanilla and now it's terrible with some added bullshit. For every amazing change up like Sisters of Battle you have 3-4 that are either whatever or annoying which normally would have probably been fine in a regular pantheon but in this marathon it just wears you out so much.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 14, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have been working through Radiant difficulty bosses one at a time and haven't encountered any where I disliked the Ascended changes. I like that some fights lose footing, usually they're the ones where dodging is super easy otherwise. Xero only does one kind of attack and it has a long windup so that's a good candidate for the removal of some footing, and I like the change

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wait, I thought Pantheon of Hallownest was all Ascended difficulty bosses? I just tried Pantheon of Hallownest for the first time, and the boss arenas were the Ascended arenas but the damage and health was only at Attuned level.

I made it all the way to NKG on the first try, but since I hadn't practiced on him at all he killed me. There were several times that I made it to a rest room with life blood masks remaining, I think I have a real shot at doing this.

Really enjoyed getting to finally fight Tiso

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

QuarkJets posted:

Wait, I thought Pantheon of Hallownest was all Ascended difficulty bosses? I just tried Pantheon of Hallownest for the first time, and the boss arenas were the Ascended arenas but the damage and health was only at Attuned level.

I made it all the way to NKG on the first try, but since I hadn't practiced on him at all he killed me. There were several times that I made it to a rest room with life blood masks remaining, I think I have a real shot at doing this.

Really enjoyed getting to finally fight Tiso

The Pantheon of Hallowest bosses are Ascended minus the double damage.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Well their health totals felt like they were lower than ascended, but it's not like I'm keeping count :shrug:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
drat, if I hadn't been a year out of practice with NKG I think I could have probably made it to Absolute Radiance. Anyway these are my least favorite fights in the PoH:

Oro & Mato: Always takes longer than it feels it should. At least there's a bench afterwards so you can be a little lax/bold.
Xero: Just isn't fun for me constantly going back and forth between the platforms. It's surprisingly easy to get locked in a rhythm where you can't easily hit him for a loop or two.
Oblobbles: Takes way too long for what feels like should be a minor boss.
Watcher Knights: See above.
Uumuu: It's Uumuu.
Markoth: Probably the first actually difficult one of these, I can easily see a lot of runs failing here.
Zote: Still Zote. At least now he's less scary to me now that I have gotten used to Quick Slash DPSing him.
Failed Champion: I don't think this fight is that hard but the two mask damage is kind of rough and easy to get yourself into a bad situation leading into NKG.

I used to hate the God Tamer but I've gotten pretty used to that fight by now and just kill the beast as quickly as possible to make it end ASAP.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The pantheon sounds like hell, but you guys make me want to boot up and try NKG again. I ground out the permanent strength charm and just got caught up in other games.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/mossbag69/status/1272658611068641280?s=20

Thread with more info. Sort of makes it seem like more info will be coming soon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah Pantheon of Hallownest is surprisingly not that bad, the rest rooms are a lot more frequent than I expected. NKG is still as hard as always and is "the real dark souls starts here" for the pantheon, and that's at the end

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

There's already intense speculation.

https://twitter.com/mossbag69/status/1272659561783181315?s=20

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm adding Sly to the shitlist, a boss I can nearly beat without getting hit whenever I practice against him in the hall yet somehow has wound up ending two consecutive runs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Do you use Mark of Pride? It makes Sly a lot easier. I dropped Hive Blood for it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I tend to favor Quick Slash so that I can DPS bosses as quickly as possible, but that stretch is ill equipped for it (also a longer nail makes Winged Nosk easier anyway) so Mark of Pride probably would serve me better there. It's even probably the only offensive charm worth anything against Uumuu who let's be real is the true pain in the rear end of the section.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

While working on Radiant boss encounters I'm equipping these:
Mark of Pride
Quick Slash
Unbreakable Heart
Unbreakable Strength

"Wait, why are you equipping a charm that boosts health in encounters where 1 hit instantly kills you?" Because I'm treating these fights as practice for the Pantheon of Hallownest, of course!

By this point I'm so used to the range and speed that I don't think I'll be able to drop Mark of Pride or Quick Slash. And if I'm Nail focused then Unbreakable Strength is an obvious upgrade. And then Unbreakable Heart because mistakes get made, I like to have that buffer... but I've been wondering whether Carefree Melody or Shaman Stone would be better for that slot

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I now know it is technically possible to beat all of the bosses in the final pantheon. But I would obviously need a lot of practice against Absolute Radiance to be able to have some measure of confidence beating him there and I just don't have it in me. That boss is incredibly terrible, every bit as bad as NKG/PV are good. Eking out that single win took every ounce of my being and more hours than I probably put into the final pantheon in the first place to unlock him in the hall. At least now I know.

It was not the best note to end this return to HK on but I'm still really glad I did. I had stalled out on the third pantheon last year and it always bugged me a little that I had not even gotten a chance at PV, and that wound up being more than worth the effort in the end.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

It is still wild to me that the main character of Hollow Knight A: isn't the Hollow Knight, and B: isn't a bug.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The main character is at least part bug, I think. I guess it depends on how you define "bug". The siblings at least maintain their bug shape even without a shell so there's something bug-like about them still

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Give me silksong!!!

I couldn’t be more excited for this game. Hollow Knight is arguably my favorite game of all time. If half the heart went into Silksong I will love it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pigbuster posted:

It is still wild to me that the main character of Hollow Knight A: isn't the Hollow Knight, and B: isn't a bug.

I heard somewhere that the story was grafted into HK very late into development; it's entirely possible that prior to plot the hollow knight was the protag, and implied to be a bug also since all enemies are bugs. The game's had a very, very long tail in it's dev cycle.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Similar situation for me. I got to absolute radiance and did my best beating the Pantheon of Hallownest, but had to come to terms with the fact that I’d come up against something that was beyond the level of skill I could reasonably hope to achieve in the game. I could merk any other boss but my peripheral vision was straight up not good enough to detect those orbs. Maybe if I’d grinded it more I would have got it, but meh.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

RCarr posted:

I couldn’t be more excited for this game. Hollow Knight is arguably my favorite game of all time. If half the heart went into Silksong I will love it.

:yeah:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

:siren: Radiant NKG down

Honestly that one was harder than Radiant Pure Vessel. But not nearly as hard as Radiant Zote, who I still have not beaten

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The human brain is such a cool thing. Have been struggling with Radiant Grey Prince for several days and today got him on my first try like it was nothing

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Oh wow, I somehow knew this was going to be a CrankyTemplar video, but i didn't expect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Oh wow, I somehow knew this was going to be a CrankyTemplar video, but i didn't expect that.

jesus, i was like "haha this is some clever editing, it kind of overstays its welcome at 3 minutes though"

then i looked at the video description :catstare: