Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Chev posted:

Or just grapple a big distant thing (shipyard included) and pull yourself towards it.

no i meant grapple the back wall, if you can reach it or the sides, because you're usually facing it. and you and grapple push grapple push ad infinitum yourself out of the red zone faster than you can grapple pull out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I understand what you meant, merely said that pulling is also an option.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
For a time-insensitive gameplay mode, I'd just have people have to buy the ship for 1/3rd of the total value. Take as long as you want to peel it apart!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The missed point of the final splitsaw upgrade is: you don't need cut points any more so you don't need to worry about not being able to cut multiple ones tidily, just section up the entire ship as you see fit from the word go!

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

You'd have thought they could fix the splitsaw issue by giving it different power levels that you can change on the fly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vando posted:

The missed point of the final splitsaw upgrade is: you don't need cut points any more so you don't need to worry about not being able to cut multiple ones tidily, just section up the entire ship as you see fit from the word go!

I'm pretty sure cutting nanocarbon into furnace waste drastically reduces its salvage value, but I'll be honest, I just assume that and haven't checked. If it does retain full value, I guess that's a fair point.

Guess, I'll go check in free-play.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Even if cut up it holds the same value you lose out the organization of it being a monolithic piece. Or have you liked throwing slivers of aluminum into the furnace up to that point?

It wouldn't be bad with this though, hope it gets addressed in EA and it's mostly a matter of the controls being very very EA (like no reassignment of controls):

TescoBag posted:

You'd have thought they could fix the splitsaw issue by giving it different power levels that you can change on the fly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, an ability to change the power levels is the easy and obvious fix.

Also give the stinger a final upgrade that lets it vaporize interior panels faster, since that’s the main thing I use it for. Zapping the floor of the ECU room makes getting it out so much easier.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Also give the stinger a final upgrade that lets it vaporize interior panels faster, since that’s the main thing I use it for. Zapping the floor of the ECU room makes getting it out so much easier.
I would more want a tool to vaporize a long line of the structural bars surrounding the aluminum panels. Being able to detach a whole section that way would be useful.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Skippy McPants posted:

You can vaporize internal floor panels?? :aaa:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know if it makes it strictly faster but if you cut the aluminum panel in half before you vaporize each half in turn you seem to avoid coming close to the overheat mark.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

You can vaporize internal floor panels?? :aaa:

Yep aluminum go bzzzzzzt. Only the smaller square ones and it takes 90% of the stinger's heat gauge, but it's still way faster than cutting out a square with the splitsaw.

It's kinda funny the two tools trade use-cases once you get better with them, the split saw is my go-to for cut-points and the stringer is how I create access points.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Aluminum is worth so little you should never be afraid to trash/vaporize some of it to speed things up.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Okay, so here's what happens to nanocarbon when you cut it with a fully upgraded split saw. Two 2000kg blocks, one into the processor and another sliced in half and sent to the furnace.

Cut nanocarbon is considered "destroyed." It's downgraded to titanium and loses 80% of its value.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
6ish missions in, and I just figured out why the ship makes danger noises and explodes when I go down one side with the splitsaw. I forgot to depressurize the airlock, and I create a breech.

Regarding the time limit, I think I'm ok with it being there since it makes sense in the game fiction, but it seems kinda at odds with the player's motivation. I want to pull the ship apart and harvest it, because to me you want to drag as much money as possible out of it, but maybe its not worth doing that and instead just get the important bits out, toss the rest and move onto the next.

Maybe if there was some ability to improve your personal ship with things you salvage, but don't turn in for credits. Say, you turn some seats in to a 3rd party, and they kick back a minor improvement to your gear outside of Lynx tokens.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tearing out and processing the most valuable, easily obtained materials and discarding anything too troublesome to be worth the effort/cost is basically how real life recycling/scrapping works anyways.

As for improving your Jack/Hab. Weaver does hint at the fact it might eventually be a 3D space we can move around in eventually. Calling our home menu "a little flat" but mentioning that LYNX plans on sprucing it up eventually.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Skippy McPants posted:

Okay, so here's what happens to nanocarbon when you cut it with a fully upgraded split saw. Two 2000kg blocks, one into the processor and another sliced in half and sent to the furnace.

Cut nanocarbon is considered "destroyed." It's downgraded to titanium and loses 80% of its value.
FYI this is only true if you cut willy-nilly and just carve up the panels themselves. If instead you carve up where the panels connect to one another like so:

you can see this triangular panel stays nanocarbon, and can be processed:

Just carving through the panel itself on the other hand:

Oops, now you have to furnace part of it. Interestingly enough the larger piece stayed as nanocarbon until I cut that one up too. so maybe it's like a minimum size chunk or something before it's considered "destroyed" and becomes titanium.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CitizenKain posted:

Regarding the time limit, I think I'm ok with it being there since it makes sense in the game fiction, but it seems kinda at odds with the player's motivation. I want to pull the ship apart and harvest it, because to me you want to drag as much money as possible out of it, but maybe its not worth doing that and instead just get the important bits out, toss the rest and move onto the next.

I think this is the whole point. They don't want you to be bogged down in the tedium of feeling like you have to cut out and process every sheet of aluminum. If you had infinite time, everything you don't process perfectly is wasted money. As it is, you're better off pulling all the high value/work order pieces and then chucking as much of the rest as you can into the processor and moving on to a new ship.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Insert name here posted:

FYI this is only true if you cut willy-nilly and just carve up the panels themselves. If instead you carve up where the panels connect to one another like so:

Yeah, you often don't lose the entire hull section depending on where you make the cut, but going fast at cut-points with the splitsaw is the whole point of using it and I dun wanna have to worry about losing a bunch of credits cause my angle was five degrees off.

Maybe they'll change it later but for now the upgrade def. doesn't feel worth it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think this is the whole point. They don't want you to be bogged down in the tedium of feeling like you have to cut out and process every sheet of aluminum. If you had infinite time, everything you don't process perfectly is wasted money. As it is, you're better off pulling all the high value/work order pieces and then chucking as much of the rest as you can into the processor and moving on to a new ship.

Even with infinite time, there would still be no reason to salvage every last scrap of a ship. Your income will fall over time as you pick out the valuable bits, and sooner or later it'll fall to the point where it's a better use of your time to switch to a fresh ship.

Skippy McPants posted:

Maybe they'll change it later but for now the upgrade def. doesn't feel worth it.

It could be worth it in the long run if the materials on ships keep getting more valuable as you progress, to the point where losing a measly couple hundred grand by destroying some nanocarbon would be an entirely worthwhile sacrifice to get at other parts more quickly or easily.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
just lol if you aren't already slinging structural parts around willy-nilly. I just cut them apart, slap a tether towards the area I want them, and then its in Newton's hands. Sorry nanocarbon, maybe you can get smelted into something I'll give a gently caress about in your next life.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone else get a bit nauseated if they play this too long due to the zero-g movement? I can do 2-3 shifts and then if I don't walk away for a while my inner ear says enough's enough.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The barge is getting annoying. I started a Gecko with orders for furniture, mechanical and electrical. I failed the mechanical because the barge was mostly full and half the door handles I threw down hit something and broke

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oof. I think I might be done until a patch. I ran out of ship keys and have lost half of my last three geckos to the gas can physics glitch.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can't just fill the barge nilly-willy, you've gotta organize, as everything else.

Dunno what that fuel can glitch is supposed to be, but if you've got problems with things being thrown around the moment they detach, only detach them up to like 90-95% of the gauge, stop and resume and they'll stay where they are.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

How/where do you use keys, anyway? I have a couple, but have never figured out how to use them. I've just been manually shutting down the fuel pods, yanking them out, and then ejecting the thruster.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
In the room or on the plate in front of the reactor, there's a terminal with a flush command.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

That's the emergency flush though, isn't it? I thought that using the key is a different thing that doesn't risk explosions.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ShootaBoy posted:

That's the emergency flush though, isn't it? I thought that using the key is a different thing that doesn't risk explosions.

The console is the risk-free option for flushing the thrusters. Using the handle on each thruster to flush them manually is what risks causing fuel pipe breaches.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The thruster console only shows up on hard Mackerels and above I think.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The reactor console, the one that requires an utility key and allows for safe flushing of fuel pipes and releases all thrusters, will show up whenever a pipe is linked to the reactor, which is probably dependent on mackerel difficulty, yes. We're talking about a computer terminal here. The thruster emergency release handle, which has leakage risks, is a different thing.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 21, 2020

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Also note that the console only works if the ship still has power, so leave the power cell/generator for later.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I confirmed the important thing I wanted to yesterday, which is that finishing the manual flush of all the thrusters stops leaks. This means as long as you clean out the aft of fuel tanks, don't panic when you spring a leak. Don't even look. Just calmly pull the rest of the handles.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Really, the reactor terminal and ECU should be the things you disable right after depressurizing, so you're then free to cut up any pipe accidentally. I can understand leaving the emergency thruster releases for later if you don't have though, but that's mostly because I'm not sure whether any fuel tanks would be in range of the leaks.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I've never had the fires from the thruster override actually cause any damage on the Gecko. Lit myself on fire a few times, but c'est la mort

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've had it blow the main reactor more than once.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Welp. After a fairly smooth run until Certification 7, I've finally had my first stupid death. First and second, in fact, courtesy of Sir Isaac Newton and his third law.

First time? Let's save tethers by punting out the panel with the push! Oops there was an inner hull behind me, splat.
Second time? Let's avoid getting squished against the inner hull by punting the panel from outside the ship instead! Oops, there was the furnace.

Screw-ups in this game are great, especially when the time limit encourages you to cut corners

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If they at some point add achievements, there better be one for literally cutting the corners off every square-shaped plate of exterior hull you salvage

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
What does the number of days on the ship selection screen mean? Number of shifts you can do work order missions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Ostensibly it's the number of shifts that the ship will remain available in the menu for, but I could swear that the selection of ships gets reshuffled if you merely leave career mode and enter it again.