Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Anyways in much lighter news, the eu just got its very own enron!

wirecard just frauded the fraudingest fraud

Loooollll

https://twitter.com/DonutShorts/status/1273690362608078848?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
From that tweet thread:

quote:

13/
Losers con’t:

E&Y – One word: cash. If your audit can’t confirm the cash in the bank, you need to find another business. Full stop. E&Y is the auditor of record in two other major suspected frauds. Massive fines that pinch every partner are needed to send a message

Hmmm...

Remember when I said the only reason Deutsche Bank isn't already bankrupt are its large cash reserves?

I'm just going to leave this here:

https://www.db.com/newsroom_news/2018/deutsche-bank-announces-external-auditor-rotation-en-11713.htm posted:

Media Release | October 26, 2018
Deutsche Bank announces external auditor rotation

The Supervisory Board of Deutsche Bank (XETRA: DBKGn.DE/ NYSE: DB) has decided to recommend the appointment of Ernst & Young GmbH Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaft as external auditor. This recommendation will be put to shareholders at the 2019 Annual General Meeting (AGM).

New European and national regulations require a rotation of the external auditor at regular intervals. Therefore it is not possible to extend the mandate of the bank’s current external auditor, KPMG AG Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaft. The tender process for a new external auditor was announced in February 2018. An extensive and rigorous evaluation process held over the last seven months was run independently by the Audit Committee of the Supervisory Board.

Deutsche Bank anticipates that following the appointment, the new external auditor will review the interim financial statements of the first quarter of 2020 and will be recommended at the 2020 AGM as external auditor for the full financial year 2020. The auditor’s mandate will cover both Deutsche Bank AG and the Deutsche Bank Group.

Going forward, as required by EU regulation and German law, the bank plans to undertake a rotation of its external auditor at least every ten years.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I hate auditors so much, gently caress them all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Angry Lobster posted:

Yeah, banks should be allowed to be frauds in peace!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Angry Lobster posted:

Congrats on working at a German financial institution tho

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Libluini posted:

It's not like banksters need external accomplices with fancy names to be absolute cunts, that's for sure.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
So what does this mean? Did all of germany lose their money now?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Libluini posted:

You know, maybe you would benefit from the most recent posts in the doomsday economics thread.

Start here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826121&pagenumber=3044&perpage=40#post505815661

Maybe that will enlighten you about what everyone else is thinking ITT.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Greader posted:

So what does this mean? Did all of germany lose their money now?
Germany has rendered itself unconstitutional, and all the Länder are legally sovereign once more.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Germany has rendered itself unconstitutional, and all the Länder are legally sovereign once more.

I knew this would happen eventually, I've been accumulating Imperial Authority all that time

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Macht Deutschland wieder…groß?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Just in time for Belgium to invoke the spirit of Leopold 2 and grab ourselves some land from the weaker states while nobody is looking.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

All these years a troll will finally pay off when I claim this bridge over the Isar

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimby posted:

Just in time for Belgium to invoke the spirit of Leopold 2 and grab ourselves some land from the weaker states while nobody is looking.

Not sure about the logistics of this but there are some states in the east that are falling out of favor.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

nimby posted:

Just in time for Belgium to invoke the spirit of Leopard 2

FTFY :gifttank:

E: the whole wirecard thing completely went :thejoke: for me. Who's gonna get hosed by it short term? Long term of course the tax payer will hold the bag.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 19, 2020

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

They'll find a way to make the taxpayer (especially lower income brackets) hold the bag in the short term as well. They've gotten very proficient at it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Realizing synergies by streamlining the taxpayer to wealthy fucks' pockets pipeline.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Phlegmish posted:

I knew this would happen eventually, I've been accumulating Imperial Authority all that time

Let's give the Middle Frankish Empire another shot

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Did Wirecard actually lose any money? From what I've heard they haven't lost anyone's money, just created fake revenue. The shares might be worthless because it's a fraud dumpsterfire, but they didn't actually lose any of the money they were administering, right?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lord Stimperor posted:

Did Wirecard actually lose any money? From what I've heard they haven't lost anyone's money, just created fake revenue. The shares might be worthless because it's a fraud dumpsterfire, but they didn't actually lose any of the money they were administering, right?

Well, they were unable to demonstrate that they actually still had 1.9 billion in cash, so that money might actually be "lost" for practical purposes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Randler posted:

Well, they were unable to demonstrate that they actually still had 1.9 billion in cash, so that money might actually be "lost" for practical purposes.
Given how finance works, there's really not much difference between "fake" value and real value. As far as I can tell, this is functionally like they had 2 billion in stock in some extremely hyped company that then lost 95% of its value when people realized it was overhyped. Only difference being that the law sees one way of creating "fake" value as illegal while the other is just being more successful at brand management.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given how finance works, there's really not much difference between "fake" value and real value. As far as I can tell, this is functionally like they had 2 billion in stock in some extremely hyped company that then lost 95% of its value when people realized it was overhyped. Only difference being that the law sees one way of creating "fake" value as illegal while the other is just being more successful at brand management.

Modern Finance debunks the labour theory of value every second of every day.

Also proves discourse theory.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Just to add to the other portuguese posters, I am portuguese and portugal is hyper-racist, just not in same way as Anglo-American racism or French, I am dark but because of the correct last names and family I never had many troubles, but if I didn't have those and my last name was a random portuguese one, it would be different.
Basically, its a really classist society.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wait, finance works? I always just assumed that it doesn't, but everyone is too stupid to realize it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

From a balance sheet perspective it's functionally the same, yes. But not being able to substantiate your cash and cash-likes is way more damning of your business practises and, in a real life context, is much more likely to push you towards bankruptcy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Randler posted:

From a balance sheet perspective it's functionally the same, yes. But not being able to substantiate your cash and cash-likes is way more damning of your business practises and, in a real life context, is much more likely to push you towards bankruptcy.
That makes sense, yeah. So functionally it's actually worse than losing an actual 1.9 billion, because on the balance sheet it's the same but getting defrauded like this is indicative of structural issues within the company itself rather than within the economic system they operate under.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Yeah this is a tricky one.
We are a 90% white country and 100% bougie one at that, i dont think theres critical mass for a anti-racist movement with real heft.
The status quo doesnt help because they certainly dont want to rock the boat, and feed the extreme right.
But because there is still this ingrained deference to status, and wealth, and authority, is also one of the reasons a hard right cant quite get full traction here.
Dont get me wrong, we're a hyper racist country but in a very passive agressive way.ya know, like not wanting to live near "those" people.and peoples body language shifting just a bit near people of colour.
Of course no one will tell you this, and in fact everyone is super not racist, until you bring up the roma and everyone looses their goddamn minds.
On the other hand just last month the far right parliamentary got dunked on hard by our most notorious roma so...

I think class and wealth and nationality are more a signifier and fracture lines than race per se.no one gives a poo poo that our pm isnt white.because he has the right pedigree, went to the right schools, had the righ friends.no one even uses him as a example of "one of the good ones".everyone is super proud of portuguese people , especially if they get international recognition, doesnt matter if they are white or black or asian, because they are portuguese you see, and they've done well and shown those foreigners we are as good as the best of them!
our parochial/nationalist racism is weird.
Our colective brains and soul got broken hard somewhere in 19th century and we just never recovered.
it's hard to talk race in Portugal precisely because of that, we were a poor coloniser so we got the idea we "mixed up" and neglect still today systemic racism, such as crappy schools that funnel kids from low income areas into technical schools like get your professional certificate in catering. Hell, our nazis, scratch that portuguese in general, could pass as roma but they consider themselves white Europeans when even in spain some don't. In a twisted way they get what Whiteness actually is.

I've been coming to terms with just how bougie we actually are and it's kinda funny our idea of bougie is very nouveau rich, and sad too.
But still we preach civility above all else, can't have people speak too loud or too uncivil, even if we have a fascist like Judice on national tv for decades, but he doesn't raise his voice so it's ok.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 20, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Speaking about being european white in a southern european can be definetely a finicky business. I fondly remember what a British gent told me about this a long time ago: "You are not White and you'll never be, your skin color doesn't matter".

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's called received pronunciation for a reason

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Angry Lobster posted:

Speaking about being european white in a southern european can be definetely a finicky business. I fondly remember what a British gent told me about this a long time ago: "You are not White and you'll never be, your skin color doesn't matter".

Benjamin Franklin posted:

... why should the Palatine Boors be suffered to swarm into our Settlements, and by herding together establish their Language and Manners to the Exclusion of ours? Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion.

Which leads me to add one Remark: That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased. And while we are, as I may call it, Scouring our Planet, by clearing America of Woods, and so making this Side of our Globe reflect a brighter Light to the Eyes of Inhabitants in Mars or Venus, why should we in the Sight of Superior Beings, darken its People? why increase the Sons of Africa, by Planting them in America, where we have so fair an Opportunity, by excluding all Blacks and Tawneys, of increasing the lovely White and Red? But perhaps I am partial to the Complexion of my Country, for such Kind of Partiality is natural to Mankind.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I loved watching the central european nazis dunking on Mario Machado like "white power used to be a clean thing now we have these fuckers saying they're neo nazis"

It's the best

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just a funny gem about the wirecard issue:

Spiegel reports that the guy responsible for disappearing 1.9 billion touts himself as an expert on cryptocurrency and immigration law. That's worth a Chef's Kiss from me!

https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/wirecard-bilanzskandal-der-verschwundene-treuhaender-a-132dd2f2-8229-4a78-895d-eb67bb481734

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the money got encrypted too goodly

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The guy is suposedly a expert in family law, imigration law and cryptocurrency.
come the gently caress on.

"Hi im a electrical engineer, a mechanical engineer and a expert in mgtow card sales.please let me run a 9 billion dollar fund.this is completelly normal."

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 21, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Why yes, my LinkedIn does say I am a self-proclaimed cryptocurrency trader. I am not at all unemployed

I also know all the countries where you can buy citizenship that won't extradite

Anyhow let's discuss the billions you need managed

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
"Fraud is such an ugly word, I prefer to call this creative accounting"

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 24, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I think the best bet is wait and see what happens. Because an offsite is only going to work if it's a forum wide thing rather than just one or two subs with their own.

I'm taking the policy of joining a few Discords for subs/threads I read a lot in case the forum does vanish quickish (but I don't really think they will because if they did Lowtax would have to get a loving job) but for the sake of sustainability I think it's best to see if either Lowtax will give up the forum (again, doubt it, he'd lose his main source of income) or some sort of broader site wide migration can happen. Like, there's already a couple of CSPAM offsites.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Sorry I erased my piece. Thought it was stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Junior G-Man needs to talk to their EU connections and set up an EU-based SA alternative. Either through legitimate cultural funding, or by siphoning a little cash from major EU-budget items. A proper modern forum would cost what, a thousand potatoes a month to run? Ten thousand? It's a drop in the ocean for the EU budget.