Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is that a thing? Armored leggings? The only thing I wear under my jeans is thermals in the winter, otherwise it's socks and underwear year round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It is (armored shorts), but usually for off-road.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, I got my dark smoke visor for the RF-1200 today and while I was transferring the pinlock insert I noticed that the fit is a little loosey goosey compared to my clear visor. The bottom didn’t really seal well until I physically adjusted the inserted pinlock up a little, at which point it seemed to seal. Hopefully this was just because the visor wasn’t on the helmet at the time, but I’m a little worried that the insert will slowly creep down. Will have to keep an eye on that.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Hmm, I got my dark smoke visor for the RF-1200 today and while I was transferring the pinlock insert I noticed that the fit is a little loosey goosey compared to my clear visor. The bottom didn’t really seal well until I physically adjusted the inserted pinlock up a little, at which point it seemed to seal. Hopefully this was just because the visor wasn’t on the helmet at the time, but I’m a little worried that the insert will slowly creep down. Will have to keep an eye on that.

Visors prepped for pinlock inserts usually have cammed tabs on the sides that you can rotate to adjust the way the insert fits against the visor - is that not the case with the one you have?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I honestly didn’t look to check but I will now, thanks!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pretty sure that's normal, visors do tend to spring outwards a bit when they're not locked in. Whenever I put mine back on the helmet after cleaning it the pinlock always makes a little "pfff" noise as it gets pressed harder into the visor and the seal firms up.

But yeah do check the cams as well to make sure the insert has enough tension to not unseal while riding.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I think it was just that the visor wasn't locked into the helmet at the time and has a naturally wider profile when relaxed and not constrained. The posts are cammed correctly so I'll just have to remember to check my insert on the rare occasion I take the shield off my bucket.

Another question: Anyone running a Motoradds cam mount on their helmet with the original 3M sticky tape? I bought a second one for my Shoei and just like the first, the 3M tape is incredibly droopy and my Hero7 sags. It's in a metal cage, mind you, but when I was rocking a lovely no-name brand gopro knockoff on my HJC it also sagged with just the plastic case.

I ended up peeling the 3M tape off and replacing it with sugru and it's been rock solid since, but I'm surprised the 3M tape is that wonky. I imagine in any actual heat that tape would get so pliable my camera would just go flying off on the highway.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Not for bikes, but I used the supplied 3m tape to mount a gopro knock-off on my ski helmet this winter. The first time it fell off after about 2 days into deep powder and the second time after a day outside la folie douce into being lost forever. If you have one of those little wires and can anchor it to something additional I recommend that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
That sounds like it might be fake tape. The original stuff on brand name GoPro mounts, 3M 4991, is phenomenally strong. I've literally never had a piece of it release unintentionally, and to remove it intentionally you need a scraper and a hair dryer and several minutes.

You can buy 4991 in rolls on Amazon, if you like. It's about $30 for 10m of half-inch tape.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's what Sena supplies with it's 10c cameras. Still here after 4 years, no sign of moving

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've never had actual honest-to-god 3M VHB tape fail on me. I've had stuff labeled 3M VHB that was included with cheap Chinese knockoff stuff from Amazon/eBay fail so frequently that I bought a roll of the real stuff to replace it on future knockoff purchases.

Sagebrush, swap the hair dryer for a heat gun and pull a piece of dental floss behind the adhesive; might save you some scraping.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok I ordered some replacement tape, and unearthed that thin metal tether. Ran it around my internal boom mic which probably won’t hold up against sustained wackiness but I’m hoping can keep my GoPro dangling long enough in the event of a worst case scenario.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

I've never had actual honest-to-god 3M VHB tape fail on me. I've had stuff labeled 3M VHB that was included with cheap Chinese knockoff stuff from Amazon/eBay fail so frequently that I bought a roll of the real stuff to replace it on future knockoff purchases.

Sagebrush, swap the hair dryer for a heat gun and pull a piece of dental floss behind the adhesive; might save you some scraping.

I'd be nervous about a heat gun because the lacquer on some helmets (and the shell itself if it's polycarb) will start to soften and possibly even melt pretty quickly if you're not careful - a hair dryer gives you a bit more time to hit the sweet zone between the adhesive softening and doing any kind of damage. Obviously if you're in a hurry and have a bit of common sense there's no reason you can't use a heat gun, but speaking as someone with a lifetime experience of stupid mistakes (see: bike history) I always try and make sure I keep the fuckups as unlikely as possible.

I found the easiest/safest way or removing (proper) VHB tape is to pry up one corner with a toothpick between the tape and the helmet, then blow hot air into that corner, angling the dryer parallel with the surface to try and get as much heat into the gap as possible, and then, using a mount arm of even the camera itself in the mount as a handle, use gentle and constant pressure to lift the mount away from that corner (i.e. gently pull the "handle" parallel to the surface, away from the corner you're working on). The idea is to keep the adhesive on the helmet warmer than the adhesive on the mount, so the whole tape should lift away with the mount, which obviously you can then attack a bit more aggressively.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So as I’m replacing my old gear I bought a biltwell lane splitter helmet and icon 1000 Elsinore boots but I need a pair of armored leggings to go under my Kevlar jeans. Anyone have any recommendations?

I've worn these on occasion: https://www.bohnarmor.com/product/cool-air-mesh-armored-riding-pants/

Especially good for when you've got yoga at 3:00 but football practice at 4:30.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Has anybody got experience with both Forma and Alpinestars boots?

I bought some Forma Terra Evo boots based on the recommendation Forma makes boots with wider toe boxes. But they’re still a bit tight around my toes (especially with my thicker socks on)

The other raved nearly-Mx boot is the Toucan which seems to no longer be sold in the UK, but I have found a German site that sells them.

Am I going to be wasting my time with the Toucans? I’ve already tried the Sidi Adv and they were wayyy too tight around my little piggies.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Horse Clocks posted:

I bought some Forma Terra Evo boots based on the recommendation Forma makes boots with wider toe boxes. But they’re still a bit tight around my toes (especially with my thicker socks on)

The other raved nearly-Mx boot is the Toucan which seems to no longer be sold in the UK, but I have found a German site that sells them.

Am I going to be wasting my time with the Toucans? I’ve already tried the Sidi Adv and they were wayyy too tight around my little piggies.

Gaerne is supposedly the widest toe box MX boot.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

Try one or two sizes bigger in Forma.

I have really really wide toes, and the Forma Adventure Low boots fit me perfectly in EU 49 (whereas for other types of shoes, normally I wear EU 47).

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

I've got wider feet to where I usually size up in nikes, and the toucans fit my actual size just fine without having to size up at all

but if you've got really wide feet then yeah the gaernes will likely be your best bet. I used to race motocross in them til I got tech 10s and loved them

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wanted to a new helmet to match my new KLX230 and everyone in the US was completely out of stock in the correct color and size. So I ended up ordering one from a UK eBay seller and somehow the drat thing showed up in like two days.

Icon Variant Doublestack in Kawi green

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Wanted to a new helmet to match my new KLX230 and everyone in the US was completely out of stock in the correct color and size. So I ended up ordering one from a UK eBay seller and somehow the drat thing showed up in like two days.

Icon Variant Doublestack in Kawi green

Very cool helmet. I just got the copper lane splitter from biltwell so you made my choice look subdued.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I wanted some safe mesh gear as the most airy gear i have is a 7 years old local renamer brand(Bullfighter) mesh jacket that is ill fitting, and of unknown mesh quality. I've upgraded it with d3o pads + back, but it's simply not a quality product. My 2010? gen klim dakar pants are a little better, but too big, and lacks some air flow for real hot days. I got my badlands suit for any days when it's a chance for rain, but it's could let in some more air when riding sitting(the pants have good airflow when standing). I'm trying to avoid public transport since they got passenger restrictions on the busses here, leaving people stranded at the bus stops. + the local infection rate is still not zero.

Found a klim apex air jacket in grey/black at a 50% sale since the model is old.
+ got some klim mojave pants that has pockets for armor.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 16, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nice! If it wasn't for mesh I don't think I could bear to be ATGATT in the summer. Watched a 1970s saftey video wherein the only option mentioned was leathers, yeesh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was out in my perforated leathers and heavy denim kevlar pants in 35c the other day and man, mesh is really making a case for some spending in the next month or so.

Alternately, non-AGATT -- wouldn't I be cooler without all this skin keeping the heat in?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I was out in my perforated leathers and heavy denim kevlar pants in 35c the other day and man, mesh is really making a case for some spending in the next month or so.

Alternately, non-AGATT -- wouldn't I be cooler without all this skin keeping the heat in?

I know you’re joking, but one serious problem for burn victims (or people who rip all their skin off) is they lose the sweat glands in that area and thus their ability to regulate their body temperature. Not that you needed another reason to ATGATT

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Mesh is a game changer I recently delved into. It’s worth it.

Also Smartwool socks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know whether an RF-1200 chin strap can be swapped for a ratchet or buckle?

For some reason the secondary safety snap on my d-ring can be super difficult to snap together. I spent like a good sixty seconds trying and failing to do it today without gloves. Sometimes it snaps together really naturally and sometimes it's just a pain, even when I think I have the two parts perfectly aligned.

And honestly if I can change it for a ratchet I can operate with gloves then even better.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
ratchet straps are for people who pull their pants all the way down when they pee

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I sit down, thank you very much.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone know whether an RF-1200 chin strap can be swapped for a ratchet or buckle?

For some reason the secondary safety snap on my d-ring can be super difficult to snap together. I spent like a good sixty seconds trying and failing to do it today without gloves. Sometimes it snaps together really naturally and sometimes it's just a pain, even when I think I have the two parts perfectly aligned.

And honestly if I can change it for a ratchet I can operate with gloves then even better.

Mine was like this for a while but it loosened up, I could never do it in gloves for like six months.

Razzled posted:

ratchet straps are for people who pull their pants all the way down when they pee

I think of it as Velcro instead of shoelaces.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My moto boots have velcro and ratchet straps

I don't know what this means except they're very easy to put on.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Am I supposed to be able to handle the double d-ring RF-1200 strap with gloves on? I just take them off if i need to put on / remove the helmet

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

MomJeans420 posted:

Am I supposed to be able to handle the double d-ring RF-1200 strap with gloves on? I just take them off if i need to put on / remove the helmet

I have two different pairs of gloves, one is thinner than the other, and I can get it done with the gloves on but it takes like 10 seconds to take off a glove, do up the strap, and put the glove back on. I think it takes longer to just do it through the gloves.

I'd rather have thick gloves and not fiddle with cutting my helmet's strap than save a few seconds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I definitely take my gloves off to monkey with any of my helmet straps, just that the snap that holds the extra length of strap is strangely problematic where I have no tactile feel for when it is in the right position to snap together. I’ve managed to snap it together mostly by getting it “close enough” and just pushing together but then there are times where I’ll be fighting it for a minute or so.

If there’s mockery to be had for not being able to do up a chin strap then I deserve it :haw:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My driving instructor told me to use my bike's mirrors when putting on the helmet strap with gloves on and it's a great tip.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My first helmet, a Shark something or other, had a Quick Release ratcheting mechanism that was easy to use with or without gloves.

My current helmet, a HJC IS-17, has a Double D-Ring, which is very difficult to use with gloves on, and I always do it barehanded.

I prefer the quick release mechanism on the Shark, but the HJC is better than the Shark in every other way.

My next helmet will likely be an Arai QV (known as the Quantum X in America), which has a Double D-Ring, which is possibly its only negative (in my eyes).

Now, to go about sourcing an XXL Arai QV in the UK... Huge ballache.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I don't want quick-release anything on any helmet I wear what the hell

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I don't want quick-release anything on any helmet I wear what the hell

Quick-release doesn’t mean it’s going to fly off in a crash. Seat belts are quick release.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So uh all my gear is in storage and I just bought a dual sport unexpectedly. For helmet I'm gonna get a RF1200 cause I know how it will fit, I like shoei, and it's the easy button.

Anyone have a recommendation for a mesh jacket, boots or gloves? Hot/humid American South. Leaning towards rev'it for jacket and A* for boots just because it's what I'm familiar with. I'm willing to spend money, but would prefer a bargain over paying a premium for a bleeding edge/cool product.

Mostly street use with some adv/fire roads. If I really get into dirt riding I'll probably buy more specific gear for that.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Tyro posted:

So uh all my gear is in storage and I just bought a dual sport unexpectedly. For helmet I'm gonna get a RF1200 cause I know how it will fit, I like shoei, and it's the easy button.

Anyone have a recommendation for a mesh jacket, boots or gloves? Hot/humid American South. Leaning towards rev'it for jacket and A* for boots just because it's what I'm familiar with. I'm willing to spend money, but would prefer a bargain over paying a premium for a bleeding edge/cool product.

Mostly street use with some adv/fire roads. If I really get into dirt riding I'll probably buy more specific gear for that.

here's my current outfit for commuting in middle TN:

pants: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-3-pants

mostly because they flow air well, but also because they offer a short version. I am 6' with a hilarious 30" inseam and the short fits me infinitely better than any other riding pants out there

jacket: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-eclipse-jacket

but I only recommend it with the caveat that the armor included with it is perfectly fine, but it is older tech. I ended up replacing the pads in it with these: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-seesmart-shoulder-elbow-knee-protectors-rv31 (you'll need two sets to do shoulders and elbows, elbows bugged me the most), but that's just personal preference. you might be better off buying this: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-3-jacket since I think it may already come with the seesmart protectors

gloves suck. to my knowledge there is not a real mesh glove out there that will protect you at all. if it is horribly hot out I typically pull the plastics off my barkbusters, put on motocross gloves, and hope for the best. that's only in the worst days of august when I have a several hour commute after work though lol. what I normally use for summer though are these: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-sand-3-gloves

they work with touchscreens which rules, aren't horribly bulky, and flow enough air for ~90 degree days here

boots: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-outlander-gtx-boots

I wear those year round when commuting. I have not found a boot to date (just like the gloves) that flows air as well as these do while still offering goretex protection in the rain. the boa closure is cool too. I am sure you could spend less on the boots, but I went from alpinestars smx boots or w/e and feel these offer more protection with better airflow and rain protection at a higher price

I'd say my use case is pretty similar to yours as most of my ADVing is after work. for all day dirt/singletrack I typically substitute the boots for alpinestars toucans and then change my pants / top to mosko gear with armor underneath to fight the heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

right arm posted:

boots: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-outlander-gtx-boots

I wear those year round when commuting. I have not found a boot to date (just like the gloves) that flows air as well as these do while still offering goretex protection in the rain. the boa closure is cool too. I am sure you could spend less on the boots, but I went from alpinestars smx boots or w/e and feel these offer more protection with better airflow and rain protection at a higher price

Why do these provide more protection than an Alpinestars SMX boot? They don't look any more substantial than a hiking boot, but I don't necessarily know anything.

Speaking of! I ordered a pair of Alpinestars SMX boots off Revzilla, and when I went to try it on, this happened:

I'm actually pretty surprised, because I'm not some oafish brute. I am hoping it is some manufacturing defect with that particular piece of plastic and not a bad omen. :ohdear: