Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

fractalairduct posted:

I can see what Midnight is doing, and I think it does it very well, but I just don't find it particularly fun to watch; and that's why I come to Doctor Who.

I agree (except that I do quite like it), but at the same time I don't think I'd watch a show that's all like that.

I'm sure I'd like some episodes from Black Mirror, but the reason I don't watch it is because its pervading tone is 'bleak and miserable'. And I don't have a place in my life for regularly watching bleak and miserable, be it once a week or binge-watching. I've tried that before, I just feel bad afterwards. But I can handle Doctor Who being dark, weird and bleak sometimes, because I know that whenever it is, it'll only be that for like 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

I haven’t watched Midnight in ages, but I think my main problem with it was that it was a one-set character based piece set in the future, but all the actual characters felt like two-dimensional 20th Century stereotypes. “Teen embarrassed of parents”, “old professor”.

Because none of them felt like actual people it kind of broke the whole thing for me. The idea of Midnight is amazing, but I don’t think the execution matches it. But like I said I haven’t actually seen it in years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I like the episode, and the fact RTD did basically the same premise far worse the following year with the godawful Planet of the Dead still blows me away.

The idea of a monster that starts off echoing you, slowly gets closer to talking in tandem and then gets AHEAD of you really is incredibly disturbing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Plus it’s terrifying that it gets the best of the Doctor, and it’s the actions of a member of cabin crew who saves the day.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It also helps that RTD rarely went ultra-cynical and bleak with his work. There's individual scenes and moments that strive for that, but Midnight really works because of how out of step it is with everything around it. It and Turn Left are sandwiched between the mega-event that is the Series 4 finale and what, the time Agatha Cristie got menaced by a bee?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rochallor posted:

It also helps that RTD rarely went ultra-cynical and bleak with his work. There's individual scenes and moments that strive for that, but Midnight really works because of how out of step it is with everything around it. It and Turn Left are sandwiched between the mega-event that is the Series 4 finale and what, the time Agatha Cristie got menaced by a bee?

For as average as The Unicorn and the Wasp is, we did the get the "Harvey Wallbanger" scene, which my wife and I say is the perfect representation of our marriage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I saw a clip from a student theatre production of midnight and I think it works well on stage.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Whether a lore retcon becomes canon, or a blind alley soon forgotten, or a throw-away line, can’t be determined at the time. I didn’t care for the President’s daughter thing because it turns the Doctor from a marginalized, just-scraped-thru-exams nobody who winds up entangled in Time Lord affairs in a major way into someone who really ought to have been a bigger deal in the early Gallifrey stories, and to no good purpose that I can see.

Just like I didn’t much care for the Moffat-era developments of “Hi, I’m the Doctor, I defeat you by referring to my famous name” followed by “I have erased knowledge of myself from history”. But he retconned the first problem and pretty much forgot about the second almost immediately, so it ended up as a bit of a blip.

And other, huge changes like adding an extra Doctor or making Clara part of the Doctor’s past, didn’t bother me a bit.

My point is that it’s too soon to evaluate the Timeless Child thread. Based on past history, it’s reasonable to be concerned about Chibnall’s ability to pull whatever it is off, but there are potentially some very interesting stories to tell now.

Plus we are likely to get Jo Martin Doctor stories out of Big Finish.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

Well, all we need is for another Time Lord to come in and clear things up OH WAIT

If there is one thing I'm really hoping is that they reveal that not all Time Lords died (because come on, how did the Master even kill them all). Make all current Time Lords rogue Time Lords/sort of drifting refugees, and you can keep Gallifrey destroyed, as long as it didn't invalidate the Doctor saving all of those children*

* she barely seemed to give a poo poo about that, lmao, wtf

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm still waiting on an explanation on how a Doctor gets shot and tossed off a cliff, then comes back without a spectacular fireworks show and a new body.

Or how the Doctor grew up from a little kid to become a policeman.

Or any other of a thousand massive gaping plot holes that makes this make no sense.

It just makes so little sense and it's driving! ME! INSANE!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rochallor posted:

Library 2-parter, then Midnight, then Turn Left.

One of the strongest sets of episodes in the revival really.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

It just makes so little sense and it's driving! ME! INSANE!

Chan... then who are you, tho? :ohdear:

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Jerusalem posted:

The Master posted:
- Not-Rassilon found a kid.
- The kid died but then regenerated.
- Not-Rassilon experimented on the kid and figured out how to regenerate as well.
- All Time Lords can now regenerate.
- <SCENE MISSING>
- Therefore YOU, the Doctor, are the Timeless Child.

Hopefully it’ll be less vague when someone comes up with an animation or telesnaps reconstruction of the missing scene.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm still waiting on an explanation on how a Doctor gets shot and tossed off a cliff, then comes back without a spectacular fireworks show and a new body.

Well, obviously the Time Lords added the fireworks when they stole the secrets of regeneration. We know they're ostentatious like that, just from their collars alone.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Eleven to Twelve didn't have fireworks though

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've always held that the later in the cycle it is, the bigger a bang you get.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vinylshadow posted:

“LOVE FROM GALLIFREY BOYS!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AxCoMbiZfk

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Time of the Doctor" is dumb as Hell, but I sure enjoy it a lot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The last 15 minutes or so are still some of my favourite Doctor Who. Something about Clara's stepmother and grandmother arguing about christmas crackers really gets to me ("oh that's nice, crying at Christmas 🙄") and feels like Moffat trying to make a statement about what he feels the show and character should be- Christmas isn't about "more dramatic crackers" it's about jokes and hugging! It was too much to cram into one hour, which is the biggest knock against it. As a two-parter like End Of Time it might have been more successful

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

I know there's the whole bit with the Doctor air-guitaring Daleks out of the sky with regeneration energy and all, but I really dug that 11 had reached a point where he was happy and content with what he had achieved and was ready to move on, and as a result the actual regeneration from 11 to 12 happens in the blink of an eye instead of a big arms thrown wide, energy blasting everywhere explosion that lasts 30 seconds or more.

Plus of course it's followed by 12's immediate reaction to Clara, which was immortalised by some beautiful goon many years ago via:

:staredog:_________ :ohdear:
:staredog:___:ohdear:
:staredog: :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

:staredog:_________ :ohdear:
:staredog:___:ohdear:
:staredog: :ohdear:

That was me and it will be my forums legacy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

That was me and it will be my forums legacy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oofSnsGkops&t=48s

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I know what MY forums legacy is.

The_Doctor posted:

A colour version of the Celestial Toymaker would rock.

I posted:

They'd run out of yellow before episode 3.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Time Lord Victorious comics details

quote:

More Time Lord Victorious stories are revealed today – two comic books will be released by Titan Comics from September 2020!

The first issue, one of two over-sized comic issues, is a ground-breaking new comic adventure for the Tenth Doctor that sees the return of the Doctor’s most iconic enemy, the Daleks.

When the Doctor faces his ancient foes once again, it soon becomes clear that things aren't what they seem – time is all wrong and something is coming that terrifies even the Daleks.

These Time Lord Victorious stories mark the first time that the Daleks, the Doctor’s deadliest enemy, make their Titan Comics debut.

Jake Devine, Editor of Titan’s Doctor Who Comics, says:

“Titan’s comic story is quite unique, as it features the Tenth Doctor as seen in the recent Thirteenth Doctor comic series, so he's not reached his so-called victory over time yet. But what has been fun to explore is the Doctor getting a glimpse of what's to come and foreshadowing his own dark turn.”

Time Lord Victorious #1 is written by Eisner-nominated Jody Houser (Stranger Things, Star Wars, Spider-Man) with art by Roberta Ingranata (Witchblade) and colours by Enrica Eren Angiolini.

oh boy, more Daleks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

More Ainley in the Popbitch mailout! (Although for some reason, I've always assumed Ainley was gay...?)

quote:

It's always been the case that whenever we focus on an actor from the Doctor Who canon for more than a week, it isn't long until a bit of smut rolls in – and we're pleased to say that the tradition has held strong for Anthony Ainley.

A keen amateur photographer and cricket player, Ainley's former team-mates remember that he would usually decline to partake of the traditional cricket teas in the club house on account of his dislike of cheese, choosing instead to eat his own little picnic in his car.

He wouldn't always dine alone though. Sometimes he'd invite a team-mate or member of the opposition to join him and would pass the time by showing them the chunky photo album he kept of polaroids that he'd taken of various fannies over the years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Baker claims that Ainley had a "cock like a skittle".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

More Ainley in the Popbitch mailout! (Although for some reason, I've always assumed Ainley was gay...?)

Not sure about Anthony Ainley, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that his father Henry Ainley had a brief fling with a young Laurence Olivier, so maybe that might be where you got the idea?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He was a lifelong bachelor and keenly private, which is the sort of thing that draws knowing nods and winks; but then, he was also enough of an eccentric that I'd believe he just couldn't be bothered and preferred playing cricket instead.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So Jodie and David were on the James Corden show last night

https://twitter.com/memoriesdw/status/1273938509758443522?s=20

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Thank you for not including tweets with Cordon in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

She has the best facial expressions :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/t0aw1aF.mp4

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Every time I see a recent picture or video of Tennant I can’t shake the feeling that his face has shrunk from the jawline down. It’s eerie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Narsham posted:

Every time I see a recent picture or video of Tennant I can’t shake the feeling that his face has shrunk from the jawline down. It’s eerie.

https://twitter.com/arobertwebb/status/1273927770943488000?s=20

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Webb's a transphobic piece of poo poo, in case you weren't aware

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

She has the best facial expressions :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/t0aw1aF.mp4

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Wow, so Matt Smith really doesn't keep one of his costumes at home?"

"Yep, that's what I heard."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Here, have some cursed knowledge.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
David Tennant filtered like that looks like Karen Gillan (and Paul McGann looks like Gillian Anderson???), and Jodie looks like some chad CW actor, lmao.

But also, hiring actresses without unconvential features and that would not necessarily be considered attractive by the majority of the population would be really cool and it's something I hope they consider doing when casting the next Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

David Tennant filtered like that looks like Karen Gillan (and Paul McGann looks like Gillian Anderson???), and Jodie looks like some chad CW actor, lmao.

But also, hiring actresses without unconvential features and that would not necessarily be considered attractive by the majority of the population would be really cool and it's something I hope they consider doing when casting the next Doctor.

I thought Tennant looked a lot like Jenna Coleman.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Here, have some cursed knowledge.

Sorry, maybe I'm missing the nuance here, but why are those images "cursed"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think the FaceApp gender filter is a bit cursed for a bunch of reasons, and has been criticized by trans people before, although it's also been helpful for some people who had a chance to imagine themselves as the gender they weren't assigned at birth for the first time, so I guess that's at least good?

Have they removed the blackface filters? I uninstalled the app the moment they did that garbage.