Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hunt11 posted:

I am pretty sure that is Byleth in their natural habitat hunting down anything that swims.
I feel like Byleth/Flayn seems really weird as a pairing especially considering Flayn is literally the “young girl who is secretly 1000 years old” trope, but never played for anything creepy in-game like it could be but their mutual love of fishing/eating fish is pretty endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DC Murderverse posted:

I feel like Byleth/Flayn seems really weird as a pairing especially considering Flayn is literally the “young girl who is secretly 1000 years old” trope, but never played for anything creepy in-game like it could be but their mutual love of fishing/eating fish is pretty endearing.

Works for Seteth/Leonie. I paired them in my first Golden Deer game, and "Boy we both really love fishing" is 99% of their dialogue with each other.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, who/what class does everyone like to put their +movement equips/items on? Dancer? Flier? Tiny Murder Machine? Byleth?

Putting them on a beefy flier like Claude or your Dancer is probably OP, but I like the meme factor of putting them on a Nuke Mage w/ +range staff or Fortress Knight w/ A ranked bows. :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Xarbala posted:

I unno bruh I just happened to be ruminating on how the dynamics of Sega's internal development studios had changed over the years and was thinking about what each team's been bringing to the table. Well, specifically thinking about RGG Studio who makes the Yakuza games, Sonic Team who are exactly what it says on the tin, and Sega CS3 who made Valkyria Chronicles. Just by coincidence I was lurking the thread while wondering about Valkyria Chronicles, then saw you mentioned killing off the best character, and you didn't necessarily mean Selvaria but it immediately put into stark relief that she is basically going to be VC's mark on broader culture at large. And she was killed off in the first game.
Ohh, i see where that came from. But no I didn't mean Selvaria, she's definitely not the best character and is actually another point on the weird bad treatment of the valkyria powers in the game

I was talking about Isara, who gets fridged to teach Rosie an important lesson about racism.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I love in VC1 when Selvaria willingly blows herself up to kill thousands of soldiers and obliterate the entire surrounding area and every living person in it yet we're supposed to feel bad for her and not anyone she murdered on our side doing it.

Or when after we beat the final boss Faldio runs in to sacrifice himself to killsteal on an enemy we already defeated so he can redeem himself for doing something the protagonist didn't like

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

AlternateNu posted:

So, who/what class does everyone like to put their +movement equips/items on? Dancer? Flier? Tiny Murder Machine? Byleth?

Putting them on a beefy flier like Claude or your Dancer is probably OP, but I like the meme factor of putting them on a Nuke Mage w/ +range staff or Fortress Knight w/ A ranked bows. :v:

Yuri's relic went to my dancer. Canto and +1 move helped them keep up with the rest which was a problem in my first playthrough where I actually used a dancer.

The other +move items I get I've given to my mages so they could keep up with all my mounted units. I'm impatient and hate when it takes forever for the units to cross the map so I use a lot of dark/holy/bow knights which I think goes against what other people tend to recommend. I haven't played maddening yet though so I don't really care that the mounted classes have less speed growth or whatever.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RevolverDivider posted:

I love in VC1 when Selvaria willingly blows herself up to kill thousands of soldiers and obliterate the entire surrounding area and every living person in it yet we're supposed to feel bad for her and not anyone she murdered on our side doing it.

Or when after we beat the final boss Faldio runs in to sacrifice himself to killsteal on an enemy we already defeated so he can redeem himself for doing something the protagonist didn't like

It was more that I felt happy when the rear end in a top hat general died. Regarding the sacrifice stealing important relics and badly wounding a fellow soldier is more then just an opsie.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Epi Lepi posted:

Yuri's relic went to my dancer. Canto and +1 move helped them keep up with the rest which was a problem in my first playthrough where I actually used a dancer.

The other +move items I get I've given to my mages so they could keep up with all my mounted units. I'm impatient and hate when it takes forever for the units to cross the map so I use a lot of dark/holy/bow knights which I think goes against what other people tend to recommend. I haven't played maddening yet though so I don't really care that the mounted classes have less speed growth or whatever.

I gave my Leonie +2 mov so she could Astrathality more things.

It was the right call.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always put them on my lowest movement units. Fortress knight if I'm using one, mages otherwise.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
In all seriousness though, if you've got full DLC you get 4(5?) sets of movement enhancement, +1(x2?) Boots, +2 Boots, March Ring and Yuri's relic.

+Move on a dancer is probably the highest priority and honestly Yuri's relic on Dancer Yuri is probably the most effective way of running a dancer in the game. Broadly his relic should be a lock on whoever you choose as a dancer because Dance->Canto is seriously ridiculous.

Your endgame Gremories, so Lysithea in particular will want either +1 Boots or +2 Boots because their item slot will usually be covered by a +range relic of some sort. Casters are broadly speaking the most effective units in the game hampered by low movement.

Your march ring is a bit of a wild card, but I'd favour it on a Wyvern lord who doesn't have a better equip. It pairs extemely well with canto movement and effectively going in and out with a Bow to pick off units.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm feeling like getting back into FE3H and I remembered that my playthrough in progress was somewhere in part 2 Verdant Wind on Maddening

Jumping right back into Maddening after not playing for a while is a fun experience!

I'm already sorta conflicted about whether I'm going to do future playthroughs on Hard or Maddening. I still wish there was a difficulty in between. NG+ Maddening has been pretty fun for the most part, but cripes they swung a bit too hard on paralogues.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I know characters get a level increase after the timeskip, but do they earn weapon exp as well? I don't remember.

I'm at chap 11 and I have a few characters at A levels, with the option to go up S via renown. I'm going into CF, so there are less tutoring days to grind people onto S+.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Weapon/skill ranks do not increase due to the timeskip. Only levels and stats do.

On a different subject:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm hungover and have no idea what Sylvain is referring to when he says he got hurt protecting me and wanted to kill me at the time. What? This is early in part 2.

Edit: I think I remember. He was jealous I didn't have the same expectations as a commoner and I assume he protected me back when we dealt with his bro.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 20, 2020

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

snoremac posted:

I'm hungover and have no idea what Sylvain is referring to when he says he got hurt protecting me and wanted to kill me at the time. What? This is early in part 2.

A lot of support scenes kick off with one person having protected the other, or bailed them out of trouble in battle, or similar; it's generally implied this happened somewhere in the latest battle.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Wait. Edelgard dumps her whole team (except Hubert, of course) after the Holy Tomb incident?! :psyduck:

That makes no sense. Wouldn't she want all of these prospective leaders on her side? Especially Ferdinand, since he'd be the perfect replacement after removing the elder Aegir. Is she just that bad at making friends with everyone in routes you don't carry her?

Also, does this mean I can still recruit the rest of the Eagles post-timeskip?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. Edelgard dumps her whole team (except Hubert, of course) after the Holy Tomb incident?! :psyduck:

That makes no sense. Wouldn't she want all of these prospective leaders on her side? Especially Ferdinand, since he'd be the perfect replacement after removing the elder Aegir. Is she just that bad at making friends with everyone in routes you don't carry her?

No? You'll still fight them in maps to come.

And no, you can only recruit some characters under very specific circumstances post-timeskip. If you didn't recruit any Black Eagle pre-timeskip, you won't be getting any of them.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

AlternateNu posted:

Directly after the tomb incident, the Eagles still hang out at the monastery, but will join Edelgard evetually during the timeskip, unless you recruited them during the academy phase, or unless you're playing Silver Snow.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Black Eagles remain at the Academy for chapter 12, giving you one last chance to recruit them. Only Hubert was in on the plan from the start. Their dialogue if you explore during the month reflects this; the Eagles are trying to figure out where their loyalties lie, Ferdinand and Petra being particularly explicit. If you recruit them, they'll stick with you through the war phase, but otherwise they'll go to Edelgard.

Edelgard is actually the only character outside of Byleth who can recruit other characters. If you haven't recruited Manuela and Hanneman they'll join up with the Imperial Army, though they only show up on the Blue Lions route.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Interesting. Just got through the next month, and I see how it plays out. It is interesting seeing how the folks you recruited from foreign houses react to basically turning on their own country.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Had to check if Punished Dimitri is an Internet thing. Of course it is. I'm so on board with his heel turn, just casting off any hint of his former chivalry, bluntly telling me to go away, and the way he screams "GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!" with his crits. It's also neat how Felix was right about him from the start.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The DLC alternate hairdo for post-TS Dimitri makes him look even more like Big Boss, it's amazing

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Interesting. Just got through the next month, and I see how it plays out. It is interesting seeing how the folks you recruited from foreign houses react to basically turning on their own country.

You get the best scene of that on Crimson Flower, I think.

Just before the timeskip, you flee the school with everyone in your party, and you get a special pre-mission where everyone lays out why they sided with you.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So I just ended Golden Deer chapter 11 and uh I was NOT expecting that reveal.

You have my attention now. I have about 49 hours into this run. How much longer would you anticipate I have?

Also I am stupidly over leveled. I just did the missions and paralogues. May hold off a bit and just level up professor.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

probably a bit less than double that since part 2 tends to go faster.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, I'm playing on hard and find I'm levels above the suggested level for main missions. I tend to explore once and do battles twice (so four battles total) a month. If madness difficulty (whatever it's called) isn't absurdly hard I'll try that for my second house.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
It is absurdly hard. Especially the first battles.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I did an AM run as my first playthrough and got a bit burned out by the end, but I've just started again with a fresh CF on hard and I'm enjoying it a lot more now I know what I'm doing.

I have a few questions:

- I understand Leonie can't be poached by getting her support with Byleth to rank B. I really kind of want to recruit her; should I invest in lances for her? I wasn't planning on poaching a lot of students but she was one I had set my sights on.
- Which DLC is worth it and how does the DLC work? Do I just buy the season pass or can/should I buy them individually? I don't have any particular interest in the grey wolves but the extra side story interests me and I would like to have some more choices on how to spend my time in the monastery. Don't care for outfits/cosmetics.
- I tire of the fishing, but near the end of my AM playthrough I had so little food to share with the students that I almost had to savescum fishing to get their supports up with one another. Is there a way to just... buy the foodstuff ingredients?
- What are exactly the differences between SS and VM? I'm tempted to do a CF run and an SS run so I don't have to do the first half of the game again with VM if the post-timeskip parts are going to be the same. I understand they're essentially identical, but does SS have things which don't appear in VM (like extra scenes with the monastery staff or the black eagles students?) or is VM literally everything SS has + the Golden Deer people? Depending on how content starved SS is, I might go through GD to just have the full experience instead.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

So I did an AM run as my first playthrough and got a bit burned out by the end, but I've just started again with a fresh CF on hard and I'm enjoying it a lot more now I know what I'm doing.

I have a few questions:

- I understand Leonie can't be poached by getting her support with Byleth to rank B. I really kind of want to recruit her; should I invest in lances for her? I wasn't planning on poaching a lot of students but she was one I had set my sights on.
- Which DLC is worth it and how does the DLC work? Do I just buy the season pass or can/should I buy them individually? I don't have any particular interest in the grey wolves but the extra side story interests me and I would like to have some more choices on how to spend my time in the monastery. Don't care for outfits/cosmetics.
- I tire of the fishing, but near the end of my AM playthrough I had so little food to share with the students that I almost had to savescum fishing to get their supports up with one another. Is there a way to just... buy the foodstuff ingredients?
- What are exactly the differences between SS and VM? I'm tempted to do a CF run and an SS run so I don't have to do the first half of the game again with VM if the post-timeskip parts are going to be the same. I understand they're essentially identical, but does SS have things which don't appear in VM (like extra scenes with the monastery staff or the black eagles students?) or is VM literally everything SS has + the Golden Deer people? Depending on how content starved SS is, I might go through GD to just have the full experience instead.

-You can still get Leonie's B-support in Monastery Phase, it just requires the C support before Chapter 8.
-The fourth DLC is the one with the Ashen Wolves and the side story. The Sauna's useful for training and some of the new quests have good rewards. It's otherwise nothing huge.
-You can buy meat from vendors but fishing is where all the fish is. What I do is save all the bait and do one marathon session on the multiple-catch day since that usually holds me out an entire playthrough.
-VW has one more map than SS and a different endgame fight. SS and VW have different endgame revelations. Multiple cutscenes make more sense on one route than the other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1) If you want Leonie, go ahead and do it - if you're on NG+ you should have more than enough leeway, unless you aren't using the bonuses? But even if you aren't, if you want her, get her. I'd also recommend getting Lysithea just for plot reasons, her support with Edelgard is probably one of Edelgard's best supports.

2) You can buy the DLC individually. The Ashen Wolves sidestory is an independent thing from the main game, it's 10-12ish chapters with preset units that level up as you go through and their classes are locked in. If you've played an older FE, its much closer in style to those. You just progress through the maps with the only breaks inbetween being to buy new weapons and stuff, there's no student managing or anything. The map design is mostly pretty good and the plot is good enough and has some more info on Byleth's family and the extent of the church's control over Fodlan, if those are plot details that interest you, and you unlock 4 new classes for the main game. Plus Yuri is a gay option for Male Byleth. Overall I'd recommend it even if you don't have any real interest in recruiting the students in the main game, it's a fun sidestory.

If you haven't patched the game, I really recommend you do that, also, since there's a character who was added as free DLC.

3) IIRC you can buy food ingredients off the merchants in the bottom left corner of the market, plus you get some from gardening?

4) The church route is basically just the golden deer route in terms of plot content, minus claude and the deer. There's not a ton of content exclusive to it and a lot of what it touches on gets more interesting exploration in the Deer route. The only thing that makes it that unique is playable Rhea.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Deltasquid posted:

I have a few questions:

1. Leonie - Yes, she is unquestionably one of the best students in the game and she has no weaknesses so she can slot in to almost any class.

2. The DLC is worth it imo, the first three waves aren't a lot to write home about, although one wave gives you the sauna building, but Cindered shadows is very good and worth your money and time.

3. Yes, you can buy food from the merchants in the plaza.

4. SS and VW are nearly identical. VW has scenes that are very different in the monastery, mostly revolving around Claude. VW includes two extra maps that aren't in SS. I found that playing SS on hard and VW on maddening was sufficiently different to be enjoyable

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

1) If you want Leonie, go ahead and do it - if you're on NG+ you should have more than enough leeway, unless you aren't using the bonuses? But even if you aren't, if you want her, get her. I'd also recommend getting Lysithea just for plot reasons, her support with Edelgard is probably one of Edelgard's best supports.

2) You can buy the DLC individually. The Ashen Wolves sidestory is an independent thing from the main game, it's 10-12ish chapters with preset units that level up as you go through and their classes are locked in. If you've played an older FE, its much closer in style to those. You just progress through the maps with the only breaks inbetween being to buy new weapons and stuff, there's no student managing or anything. The map design is mostly pretty good and the plot is good enough and has some more info on Byleth's family and the extent of the church's control over Fodlan, if those are plot details that interest you, and you unlock 4 new classes for the main game. Plus Yuri is a gay option for Male Byleth. Overall I'd recommend it even if you don't have any real interest in recruiting the students in the main game, it's a fun sidestory.

If you haven't patched the game, I really recommend you do that, also, since there's a character who was added as free DLC.

3) IIRC you can buy food ingredients off the merchants in the bottom left corner of the market, plus you get some from gardening?

4) The church route is basically just the golden deer route in terms of plot content, minus claude and the deer. There's not a ton of content exclusive to it and a lot of what it touches on gets more interesting exploration in the Deer route. The only thing that makes it that unique is playable Rhea.

there is no playable rhea

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can view all the poaching requirements and how they interact with supports here. If you don't want to get involved with all that, B-support Leonie wants Byleth to have at least 6 strength and D lances.

I don't think you even can buy the DLC separately; pretty sure it's all or nothing. The Sauna from wave 3 is pretty handy, and the feature to feed cats and dogs doesn't add much, gameplay-wise, but it makes me happy. Cindered Shadows is definitely the big draw; you get a new mini-campaign, which gives some pretty good rewards for the main game, four new solid classes, the recruitable characters, and access to the Abyss, which has a couple handy tools for spending renown.

You can buy meat from one of the traveling merchants, and you also get a decent amount of food items from the greenhouse. The greenhouse is extremely byzantine, but you can get by with mostly farming if you just stock up on fish on the "fistfuls of fish" weekends where you get 2-4 fish per attempt.

On your last question: There are three unique maps on Verdant Wind: Claude's paralogue, the Battle of the Eagle and Lion rehash you've already seen from Dimitri's route, and the final map. Silver Snow comes with one, also its final battle. The final battles are totally unique, interesting and worthwhile, but everything leading up to them is pretty much the same across the routes. For intermediate plot stuff, you get some scenes developing Claude and his relationship with House Riegan and Almyra, or Seteth and Flayn and their relationship with Rhea and the church, depending on route. The Golden Deer and Church Faculty/Black Eagles will have some passing comments on events, to about the same extent the Blue Lions did in Azure Moon. There's some lore reveals at the very end that diverge based on whether Claude or Seteth is the one standing next to Byleth and asking questions. I prefer Silver Snow because I like the Eagles more than the Deer, and like Seteth and don't really care about Claude. If you wanna see both, there is an on-site Let's Play that has completed Silver Snow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've made an interesting discovery in my current "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" game: Bernie has alarmingly good spell lists for both reason and faith. Blizzard, thunder, thoron, fimbulwinter, heal, nosferatu, physic, and rescue.

Base 20% MAG growth is tough to work with, but gremory Bernie is putting in work.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I've made an interesting discovery in my current "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" game: Bernie has alarmingly good spell lists for both reason and faith. Blizzard, thunder, thoron, fimbulwinter, heal, nosferatu, physic, and rescue.

Base 20% MAG growth is tough to work with, but gremory Bernie is putting in work.

Persecution Complex will help her punch even with other casters for a while.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

there is no playable rhea
seriously? lol

ive never done the route just looked it up online since i didnt feel like doing a 4th playthrough, but i assumed from her having a support she was playable. my bad then

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Re: the question about buyable ingredients: The Cindered Ashes DLC also includes a way to boost supports between any two units with renown. You should have plenty of that, even without the I think 10k you get for completing the DLC. So if you want less fishing, that's one way.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

You can buy the DLC individually.
You can???

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thanks guys.

Re: the food: I knew you could buy some foodstuffs at the merchants but I got the impression it was just for the food cooking 1:1 that gives your units a buff for a month, not for sharing meals.

I'll check out the DLC then. The story sounds interesting. What does the sauna do and what other activities does it add?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

You can???
im pretty sure???