Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Moo the cow posted:

When I saw Theron in her role, I had a horrible feeling that they were going to put in a romance subplot between them and I shared that feeling you had when they didn't.

Mind you, I thought the plot itself was pretty poor, but at least they treated the female lead a bit more enlightened than the usual way.

I wish they'd... I don't know... give her more work in that role. Instead we might be getting a prequel where they're casting a younger actress. :nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wish they'd... I don't know... give her more work in that role. Instead we might be getting a prequel where they're casting a younger actress. :nallears:

So when she was a sex slave? I’m confused.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain Monkey posted:

So when she was a sex slave? I’m confused.

:shrug:

quote:

George Miller is planning to expand the “Mad Max” universe with a prequel movie based on Charlize Theron’s Imperator Furiosa from 2015’s “Fury Road.”

In an interview with The New York Times, the director said the film is an origin story and he’s searching for an actress in her 20s to take over the role. He said he had considered using de-aging technology in order to allow Theron — who’s 44 –to play the part again, but has decided against doing so.

“For the longest time, I thought we could just use CG de-aging on Charlize, but I don’t think we’re nearly there yet,” Miller said. “Despite the valiant attempts on ‘The Irishman,’ I think there’s still an uncanny valley.”

In prepping the “Fury Road” script, Miller and co-writer Nick Lathouris developed back stories for every character, but not much was revealed about Furiosa’s past. In the film, she is a war captain under leader Immortan Joe, but turns against him in order to free Joe’s concubines. She then forms an alliance with Max Rockatansky, portrayed by Tom Hardy.

I mean, you wouldn't need to de-age her if you just wrote a sequel. I'd be interested in seeing where she goes next! As played by Theron, who made her a really compelling character! But I'm not a big Hollywood director, what do I know?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

More like oldtasteless

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, you wouldn't need to de-age her if you just wrote a sequel.
Or just use Theron anyways. She hardly ages as-is, and I expect living in a post-apocalypse would gently caress with the aging process anyways.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eh! Frank posted:

Or just use Theron anyways. She hardly ages as-is, and I expect living in a post-apocalypse would gently caress with the aging process anyways.

That's fair. Although I don't particularly like prequels as a rule, anyway.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

bunnyofdoom posted:

The only good American versions of UK shows are the Office and Whose Line is it anwyays

I'd argue Sanford and Son is a good version of Steptoe and Son, (but that could just be Redd Fox's brilliance)

Just like All In The Family took Alf Garnett from Till Death Do Us Part and turned it into an American style show. Even appropriating the Scouse Git.

It is lucky though that America didn't try to do versions of Love Thy Neighbour, or Mind Your Language. Because as horrifyingly racist as the UK shows were, (even for the time), the American ones would have been worse.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thing I found interesting was that Cybill, a CBS vehicle for Cybill Shepherd, was basically an attempt at an American Absolutely Fabulous. You had the middle-aged anxiety-ridden mother (Cybill herself), the hard-drinking hard-living friend (Christine Baranski), and the more button-down daughter (Alicia Witt.)

There was also a more blatant American attempt at AbFab which lasted for like one episode. I forget what it was called but I think Jean Smart was in it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing I found interesting was that Cybill, a CBS vehicle for Cybill Shepherd, was basically an attempt at an American Absolutely Fabulous. You had the middle-aged anxiety-ridden mother (Cybill herself), the hard-drinking hard-living friend (Christine Baranski), and the more button-down daughter (Alicia Witt.)

There was also a more blatant American attempt at AbFab which lasted for like one episode. I forget what it was called but I think Jean Smart was in it?

Suddenly Susan?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Suddenly Susan?

:looks up IMDB: Okay it was called High Society and they had a half season.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maxwell Lord posted:

:looks up IMDB: Okay it was called High Society and they had a half season.

Brothers and sisters, I wanna tell you something
I hear a lot of talk from a lot of honkeys, sitting on a lot of money, saying they're the high society
But if you ask me, this is the high society, this is the high society

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More like oldtasteless

Hold the gently caress on

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the worst attempts at Americanizing a British show was the US version of Red Dwarf.They did the thing where they just kind of reused a script but they completely miscast their version of Lister.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BrigadierSensible posted:

I'd argue Sanford and Son is a good version of Steptoe and Son, (but that could just be Redd Fox's brilliance)

It's actually better than Steptoe. The dad on Steptoe is surprisingly mean spirited and vindictive to his son; he actively crab baskets his son whenever he tries to better himself.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

muscles like this! posted:

One of the worst attempts at Americanizing a British show was the US version of Red Dwarf.They did the thing where they just kind of reused a script but they completely miscast their version of Lister.

The gently caress?

*googles*

The gently caress!?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Most people I talk to who watch U.S. Shameless don't even know it was a British show.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is U.S. Shameless one of those shows that lost their music rights for streaming or is it just supposed to sound that bad?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Might" being the operative word.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

mllaneza posted:

Still, the fact that it was in the discussion at all is amazing for a goddamn Mad Max movie.

What's wrong with the first 2?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eh! Frank posted:

Or just use Theron because Fury Road made explicit what was previously speculation: that these are legends of the wasteland and time has nothing to do with them. If you've met someone and I start telling you a story about what they did ten years before, do you picture them in your mind as being ten years younger, or as you knew them?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Comstar posted:

What's wrong with the first 2?

Not a drat thing. It's just that the Academy didn't really take the first three seriously, while Fury Road was treated as a serious contender for the biggest awards. A mainstream Hollywood de Caprio film beat it out for some of them.

Revenant wasn't relevantthe year after it was released.
Fury Road will be retold around campfires after society really does collapse. By 2050 the younger generation will believe that there really is a Bartertown somewhere out in the wasteland.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Had to google to see what Revenant was even about, and it sounds like a far duller version of Steven Seagal's masterpiece, On Deadly Ground.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

Had to google to see what Revenant was even about, and it sounds like a far duller version of Steven Seagal's masterpiece, On Deadly Ground.

Steven Seagal doesn't get mauled by a bear in On Deadly Ground. Now if he made a version of the Revenant, but after the bear attack he just died then that would be a massive improvement and probably be my favorite movie.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that Fury Road lost to Spotlight for best picture.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mllaneza posted:

Not a drat thing. It's just that the Academy didn't really take the first three seriously, while Fury Road was treated as a serious contender for the biggest awards. A mainstream Hollywood de Caprio film beat it out for some of them.

Revenant wasn't relevantthe year after it was released.
Fury Road will be retold around campfires after society really does collapse. By 2050 the younger generation will believe that there really is a Bartertown somewhere out in the wasteland.

Dude tech companies are actually naming their evil poo poo "Skynet" and "Palantir", if there's not an actual real Bartertown someone will create one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BrigadierSensible posted:

I caught an episode recently where Lamont had gotten a traffic ticket and Fred decides to represent him in court. Fred challenged the white cop about not giving tickets to white people. Surprisingly, the episode was not edited. You can find the exchange on YouTube.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

purple death ray posted:

Dude tech companies are actually naming their evil poo poo "Skynet" and "Palantir", if there's not an actual real Bartertown someone will create one.

There are a lot of businesses called Bartertown.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that Fury Road lost to Spotlight for best picture.

Spotlight was as good as Fury Road imo. Room was another worthy nom. Good movie year.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Sunswipe posted:

The book is rubbish and doesn’t even have a proper ending,the main character is about to get his revenge that the whole book has been hinging on....and then someone tells him he can’t have his revenge and he’s like “ok”.
The end.

poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

There are a lot of businesses called Bartertown.

Yeah, but who runs them?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Is U.S. Shameless one of those shows that lost their music rights for streaming or is it just supposed to sound that bad?

Idk if Shameless has a bunch of music but the US version is good and it's prolly supposed to sound that way? idfk

Shameless, The Office: shows we made better

Also Doctor Who sucks. I've watched most of them. It sucked decades ago, it sucked ten years ago when all my friends were into it, it sucks now.

David Tennant and dude after him were the worst ones.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fury Road was really good, but I do understand why they don't want a sequel. In fact I stridently believe against having a direct one. Because the ending is really hopeful, but a sequel is going to need conflict, And there's a very high likelihood that any kind of conflict would mar the hopeful ending of the last one

A sequel with Max is fine, but I would not do one with furiosa. As far as I'm concerned, that place is now good and will get better over time under her leadership

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

purple death ray posted:

I at one point set a roleplaying campaign within the real-life Australian town of Bordertown, so named because it's on the border of two states and Australians aren't very creative. Not only am I sure there are already things called Bartertown, I'm fairly sure there were already things called Bartertown when Mad Max 3 was made.

Incidentally: a running theme for that campaign was me having to repeatedly convince people, both in and out of character, that Bordertown was a real place and the big mystery wasn't why such a clearly fake town existed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I mean there's plenty of stuff in the ending that you can tell would lead to conflict: Hundreds of people without real homes living at the ground level now need humanitarian treatment, there's limited food stuffs--and the milk production is gross human exploitation since there are no animals--, there's still all the people who worked as support for the military industrial complex that was turning out War Boys and their rides, and newly leaderless communities outside the Citadel. Furiosa may be in taking Immortan's place, but there's the Bullet Farm and Gas Town to consider, and they may have a difference of opinion. Furiosa trying to do right by the suffering groundlings, dismantle or repurpose the War Boy Industrial Complex, and reconcile or dominate her two nearest neighbors could be a movie.

Heck, maybe one of Immortan's rivals hears of his death and comes out of the desert to see who took him out. He decides he's unimpressed and sieges the Citadel to test Furiosa, possibly with his own army or by raising one out of her critics. Could be intense. Could be good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A sequel would have to follow Max to a completely different location with new conflicts to resolve.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

We were specifically talking the planned film that's just Furiousa, no Max.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Henchman of Santa posted:

Spotlight was as good as Fury Road imo. Room was another worthy nom. Good movie year.

I liked spotlight too, but...no. Fury Road was much better than it. And so was Room. And Ex Machina. And Son of Saul. And The Big Short. And Inside Out.

and Ant-Man

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Which one of the 2 US pilots are you complaining about?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MariusLecter posted:

A sequel would have to follow Max to a completely different location with new conflicts to resolve.

Yeah, it's well known that it's just impossible to create a sequel or a spinoff that follows a breakout character from a movie that was ostensibly centered around someone else. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

Which one of the 2 US pilots are you complaining about?

Isn't the second pilot just a series of clips trying to show what the show would be rather than an actual episode? Like they re-shot scenes from the British show with the American cast.

Only time I've ever heard of someone making a clip show as a pilot.