Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This seems like the right thread to ask: What flags have pictures of other, smaller flags on them? Here's the ones I know, which are the sort of compromises that annoy every interested party:

Georgia 2001-2003:

South Africa, 1928–1994

There have to be some other examples. What about a flag depicting a small version of itself being flown or raised, which in turn would have a tiny version of the flag, etc? I was going to call this a Morton Salt flag but I just learned this is called the Droste effect.

There are tonnes of ensign flags that just stick a smaller flag in the upper left (usually union jack), but not counting that I'm not actually sure of much other examples.

I personally don't think a separate flag thread is necessary. There's enough overlap between geography nerds and vexillology nerds that there's no issue combining them in this thread as far as I can tell.

E: Oh, my province's flag isn't really an ensign, but the effect is basically the same:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jehde posted:

There are tonnes of ensign flags that just stick a smaller flag in the upper left (usually union jack), but not counting that I'm not actually sure of much other examples.

I personally don't think a separate flag thread is necessary. There's enough overlap between geography nerds and vexillology nerds that there's no issue combining them in this thread as far as I can tell.

E: Oh, my province's flag isn't really an ensign, but the effect is basically the same:

I am making a separate flag thread tonight after I get home and eat dinner and you can't stop me!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Haiti's flag contains 6 furled Haitian flags.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The PRC uses five vietnamese flags

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The ultimate flags on flag is the Organization of American States flag which is the flag of every single county in North and South America on a solid blue background and is probably what flag nerds see in their nightmares.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I am making a separate flag thread tonight after I get home and eat dinner and you can't stop me!

Link it here if/when you do.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The ultimate flags on flag is the Organization of American States flag which is the flag of every single county in North and South America on a solid blue background and is probably what flag nerds see in their nightmares.

Why not link it?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Why not link it?

Oh yeah that's the stuff. I'm phone-posting and only ever figured out how to rehost on desktop.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was picturing just a blue square with all the flags tiled on it, this isn't nearly as bad.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I was picturing just a blue square with all the flags tiled on it, this isn't nearly as bad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

If I survive long enough to become a warlord in the second half of the 21st century, this image will be my banner

Jehde posted:

The Union Jack represents the UK, namesake and colonizer of British Columbia. The sun represents the gods, the only ones who can afford Vancouver property

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 20, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ATTENTION FLAG NERDS! I posted a Flag Nerd thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928619

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

no falconry tag, no sale

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This seems like the right thread to ask: What flags have pictures of other, smaller flags on them? Here's the ones I know, which are the sort of compromises that annoy every interested party:

Georgia 2001-2003:

There have to be some other examples. What about a flag depicting a small version of itself being flown or raised, which in turn would have a tiny version of the flag, etc? I was going to call this a Morton Salt flag but I just learned this is called the Droste effect.

For some context from someone living in GA at the time of that abysmal flag; Basically the then-governor was elected on promises of defending the rebel flag as part of the state flag. You may remember about the same era there was a hullaballoo about South Carolina flying a naval Confederate flag over their State Capitol which is wtf on several fronts but they've apparently done since the 50s to be bitches about Integration. So this guy gets elected largely on this singular promise of keeping the (ga seal + rebel flag) state flag.

Then he introduces that flag and is all "lol hey the rebel flag is still on there!" thus managing to piss off both the people who cared about keeping it and the ones who wanted to get rid of it.

This craven, opportunist, betrayer of both sides piece of poo poo governor who managed to be hated by literally everyone, racists and anti-racists alike? He was Secretary of Agriculture for most of the Trump presidency. He also, while literally owning a major chicken company, exempted chicken processing from all environmental rules in GA. Nothing to read into there!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Private Speech posted:

Entire Japan being connected to the world via Pyongyang.

Incidentally, this is actually exactly how it was 2000 years ago. Ship technology wasn't advanced enough to make direct trips from Japan -> China until the mid 1st millennium, so trade and travel would go through Korea via the Han Dynasty's Lelang Commandery, which was centered around Pyongyang.

Pyongyang is Chaoxian district on the map there, named for Joseon (now known as Gojoseon), the old kingdom that was there before Han China conquered them.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

chairface posted:

For some context from someone living in GA at the time of that abysmal flag; Basically the then-governor was elected on promises of defending the rebel flag as part of the state flag. You may remember about the same era there was a hullaballoo about South Carolina flying a naval Confederate flag over their State Capitol which is wtf on several fronts but they've apparently done since the 50s to be bitches about Integration. So this guy gets elected largely on this singular promise of keeping the (ga seal + rebel flag) state flag.

Then he introduces that flag and is all "lol hey the rebel flag is still on there!" thus managing to piss off both the people who cared about keeping it and the ones who wanted to get rid of it.

This craven, opportunist, betrayer of both sides piece of poo poo governor who managed to be hated by literally everyone, racists and anti-racists alike? He was Secretary of Agriculture for most of the Trump presidency. He also, while literally owning a major chicken company, exempted chicken processing from all environmental rules in GA. Nothing to read into there!

You have your timeline wrong. Roy Barnes pushed the 2001 flag shown in the picture and lost reelection in 2002 partially as a result (also partially because of the great lurch Republican in the wake of 9/11). Sonny Purdue, who beat Roy Barnes, is the Trump Secretary of Agriculture, and pushed the current Georgia flag (shown below).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Georgia 2001-2003:

South Africa, 1928–1994

I feel like using flags of Oceania countries is cheating a little:

Australia

New Zealand

Cook Islands

Pitcairn Islands

Fiji

Tuvalu

And one more:

Wallis and Futuna

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Well, at least flag chat is better than hypothetical mass transit chat.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

Incidentally, this is actually exactly how it was 2000 years ago. Ship technology wasn't advanced enough to make direct trips from Japan -> China until the mid 1st millennium, so trade and travel would go through Korea via the Han Dynasty's Lelang Commandery, which was centered around Pyongyang.

That's interesting, I didn't know they had direct control over part of Korea. Makes you wonder if Korea could be Chinese territory if history had gone a little differently.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

pik_d posted:

Wallis and Futuna

That flag looks more like a piece of criticism.

Maybe a very weird failure of a jpeg to load.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yet the flag is still far better than the fascist organization it represents.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Phlegmish posted:

That's interesting, I didn't know they had direct control over part of Korea. Makes you wonder if Korea could be Chinese territory if history had gone a little differently.

Korea has always been part of China.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Georgia 2001-2003:

South Africa, 1928–1994

The old South African flag has two levels of flag depiction - the two Boer republic flags in the middle also have the Dutch flag as part of their flags. It almost loops back on itself...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

chestnut santabag posted:

The old South African flag has two levels of flag depiction - the two Boer republic flags in the middle also have the Dutch flag as part of their flags. It almost loops back on itself...

It’s a second level vexclave :dadjoke:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:hmmyes:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I was expecting the same and was similarly relieved. Like sure it breaks rules of complexity, but it's aesthetically pleasing enough and an effective way to cram a bunch of flags on a seal.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Union Jack represents the UK, namesake and colonizer of British Columbia. The sun represents the gods, the only ones who can afford Vancouver property

In google image searching for the original flag, I noticed this reddit redesign as the seventh result. I liked the gist of it enough that I went ahead and mocked up a republican (as in anti-monarchist) version of it, copying elements from the redesign:

The top left green triangle represents Vancouver Island, the top right Haida Gwaii, and the three along the bottom represent the Coastal, Rocky, and Interior mountains. Still with the sun setting over the Pacific. It's not perfect, but it doesn't have a Union Jack or a crown, so it's objectively better. :colbert:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
North Carolina's flag is boring but I've always loved our state seal, there's just so much going on in it.

wikipedia posted:

The Governor shall procure of the State a Seal, which shall be called the great seal of the State of North Carolina, and shall be two and one-quarter inches in diameter, and its design shall be a representation of the figures of Liberty and Plenty, looking toward each other, but not more than half-fronting each other and other-wise disposed as follows: Liberty, the first figure, standing, her pole with a cap on it in her left hand and a scroll with the word "Constitution" inscribed thereon in her right hand. Plenty, the second figure, sitting down, her right arm half extended toward Liberty, three heads of grain in her right hand, and in her left, the small end of her horn, the mouth of which is resting at her feet, and the contents of the horn rolling out." "The background on the seal shall contain a depiction of mountains running from the left to the right to the middle of the seal. A side view of a three-masted ship shall be located on the ocean and to the right of Plenty. The date "May 20, 1775" shall appear within the seal and across the top of the seal and the words "esse quam videri" shall appear at the bottom around the perimeter. No other words, figures or other embellishments shall appear on the seal.

I've also always liked "esse quam videri" as a state motto - "to be, rather than to seem."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
North Carolina wants you to know it is the real poo poo

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

North Carolina wants you to know it is the real poo poo

NC historically also referred to itself as "a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit," those being South Carolina and Virginia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You know, that's not a very humble thing to say

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Phlegmish posted:

You know, that's not a very humble thing to say

I'm a million times as humble as thou art!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Every time I've driven through North Carolina, I've encountered signs telling me I've passed into a new county. Each of these signs has some variation of "XYZ County, the best X in the country!". A truly humble land.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was watching a weird video about the batman version jingle bells, and it used the game "tag" as an example of how the US tends to be much more homogeneous than the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5u9JSnAAU4

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Brits have special snowflake syndrome on all levels

Dobby, lol

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Safe place when playing tag.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Gotto representing :cool:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Do luxemburgers not play tag?

Also, out of curiosity, can germans understand luxemburgish? I think that's what it's called.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, out of curiosity, can germans understand luxemburgish? I think that's what it's called.
Please, it's lëtzebuergesch.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was watching a weird video about the batman version jingle bells, and it used the game "tag" as an example of how the US tends to be much more homogeneous than the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5u9JSnAAU4

at my school they banned tag so we changed the rules to include having to make a fart sound on tagging and changed the name

what im saying is that this erases the proud game of, fart mongers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't know since I'm not German, but I would assume so if they can understand other German dialects from that region. The decision to make and keep it a separate language was a political one. They weren't especially keen on Germany, and the two World Wars didn't help much in that regard.