Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm torn, because this would have prevented the genius of the Clown College episode, but Krusty is mostly a terrible character except for a few classic episodes
I mean that's true of all the supporting characters really-- Moe, Skinner, Wiggum, Willie, Apu, Mr. Burns-- they're all literally stock fodder that only really work because they had such killer jokes channeled through them in the early years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Krusty is gold when he's on point though. I always liked the horse racing bit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

I mean that's true of all the supporting characters really-- Moe, Skinner, Wiggum, Willie, Apu, Mr. Burns-- they're all literally stock fodder that only really work because they had such killer jokes channeled through them in the early years.

Yeah you're right, it's when they started having multiple standalone episodes focused on extremely stock characters that it was clear they were totally out of ideas. I'm sure at some point in the last decade they've had multiple Bumblebee Guy episodes

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The gently caress are you talking about? Krusty is top tier.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? Krusty is top tier.

Even in the Golden Age it was obvious by the end of Season 4 that they only had like three jokes with him-- he's excessive, he's shameless, he's ridiculously self-absorbed. Oh he's also Jewish and ashamed to be Jewish, but that's not really a joke. Sometimes it works like "Bart Gets Famous" but "Bart the Fink" was when they proved that Krusty was tapped out. Then they did the stand-up episode and we all remember what a classic that was.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Going all in against the Harlem Globetrotters.

"I thought the Generals were due!"

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

mind the walrus posted:

Even in the Golden Age it was obvious by the end of Season 4 that they only had like three jokes with him-- he's excessive, he's shameless, he's ridiculously self-absorbed. Oh he's also Jewish and ashamed to be Jewish, but that's not really a joke. Sometimes it works like "Bart Gets Famous" but "Bart the Fink" was when they proved that Krusty was tapped out. Then they did the stand-up episode and we all remember what a classic that was.

You can boil every supporting character (and most of the main) to 3 distinctive characteristics. Bad simpsons is when they "expanded" them with relatives and backstory. Krusty is totally reprehensible and a joke machine. That's all he needs to be.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"Quiet part loud" and "what the hell was that" are perennial

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Duh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

The one with the Canyonero, though?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A Simpsons-adjacent question: we know C. Montgomery Burns is hecka old, partially because his name is C. Montgomery Burns.
I know that weird naming convention was a thing in the 1920's- when did it start? Why did it stop? What was the point of it?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Krusty is like a top 5 character wtf

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I assume it's from the days when the first born son would always get the same forename as their father, so the middle name was used to distinguish them. I have no sources to back me up though so :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

You can boil every supporting character (and most of the main) to 3 distinctive characteristics. Bad simpsons is when they "expanded" them with relatives and backstory. Krusty is totally reprehensible and a joke machine. That's all he needs to be.
Yeah, that's the point though. He's not really a great character. He's a conduit. Swap his palette colors or change up his backstory and all of his best bits still work.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Krusty is like a top 5 character wtf
He's got the air of accidental genius about him, the same way the writers gradually realized their Scrooge parody could be used as license to do whatever they wanted in the story-- same way Roger ended up being used on American Dad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, that's the point though. He's not really a great character. He's a conduit. Swap his palette colors or change up his backstory and all of his best bits still work.

He's got the air of accidental genius about him, the same way the writers gradually realized their Scrooge parody could be used as license to do whatever they wanted in the story-- same way Roger ended up being used on American Dad.

Hell, Scrooge McDuck comes to mind as having the same thing going on, because a ludicrously wealthy morally dubious old guy can do anything.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm torn, because this would have prevented the genius of the Clown College episode, but Krusty is mostly a terrible character except for a few classic episodes

https://youtu.be/zH18T2Jufzk

It also would have ruined this bit. Look at the crowd closely. That's not Krusty, it's Homer disguised as Krusty. He was going to shoot Burns and frame Krusty but Maggie beat him to it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Iol what the hell does this even mean?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Iol what the hell does this even mean?

watching the funny cartoon sitcom and criticizing the characters for not being written like they're in mad men

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Krusty is the one character who is written like he's on Mad Men :thunk:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

A Simpsons-adjacent question: we know C. Montgomery Burns is hecka old, partially because his name is C. Montgomery Burns.
I know that weird naming convention was a thing in the 1920's- when did it start? Why did it stop? What was the point of it?

pretty sure they added the C to make it match Charles Foster Kane for the episode where he runs for governor, so it’s not necessarily an extra touch on how old he is.

...but as to your actual question i have no idea.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

An old tradition with rich families is for all the males to have the same first name and a different middle name (see Arrested Development for a modern example). So the first name gets to be abbreviated, cause everybody knows what it is anyway, and the second name becomes the "real" name.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Benny Harvey posted:

https://youtu.be/zH18T2Jufzk

It also would have ruined this bit. Look at the crowd closely. That's not Krusty, it's Homer disguised as Krusty. He was going to shoot Burns and frame Krusty but Maggie beat him to it.

I think that, in the course of talking about older episodes and posting production notes on twitter in the last few months, the producers said that this was an accident— Krusty was just off-model there, it wasn’t in a script or in animation guides. It’s one of those things where they’re probably like “poo poo we should’ve done that on purpose.”

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This conversation is probably best saved for the other Simpsons thread (unless it becomes a meme) but the Simpsons character tier list top 5 goes

1. Mr. Burns
2. Homer
3. Principal Skinner
4. Krusty the Clown
5. (Tie) Milhouse, Lionel Hutz

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 21, 2020

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

1. Troy McClure
2. Lionel Hutz
3. Mr. Burns
4. Homer
5. Milhouse/Bumblebee Man

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
"What is Mr. Burns' first name?" would be a killer gotcha question for a Simpsons trivia night

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

"What is Mr. Burns' first name?" would be a killer gotcha question for a Simpsons trivia night

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 21, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
1. Lionel Hutz
2. Troy McClure
3. Lyle Langley
4. Jimmy Apollo
5. God

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hank Scorpio

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teddybear posted:

I think that, in the course of talking about older episodes and posting production notes on twitter in the last few months, the producers said that this was an accident— Krusty was just off-model there, it wasn’t in a script or in animation guides. It’s one of those things where they’re probably like “poo poo we should’ve done that on purpose.”

The Who Shot Mr Burns episode was written and animated very deliberately, to the point where it's actually possible to figure out the culprit from the first episode. (albeit it requires rewatching in a way that may not have been as convenient in the 90s, not to mention thinking a little outside the box and some knowledge of the show)

Krusty is always drawn with the round fake nose, while Homer clearly has his painted red.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mind the walrus posted:

Are you saying that jokes about Krusty being a wealthy and immoral children's entertainer would still work if he wasn't a wealthy and immoral children's entertainer? Like if Lou delivered Krusty's lines, it would just as intelligible and funny?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Marge Simpson is the best character, you're not going to be able to change my mind on this.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
What about Ol' Gil? :smith:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Marge Simpson is the best character, you're not going to be able to change my mind on this.

I just think she's neat v:shobon:v

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BigDave posted:

What about Ol' Gil? :smith:

gil's fuckin garbage

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lone Goat posted:

gil's fuckin garbage

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I rewatched a few of the first Gil appearances, and I don’t hate him as much now as I did back then, but I do think of him as the harbinger of the rapid onset of Bad Simpsons

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Only registered members can see post attachments!