Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ulf posted:

Yes it is ridiculous to grease your sidestand.

Yes you will notice the difference.

Absolutely. Greased mine up the other day as it wasn't always retracting fully - silky smooth sidestand action now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I installed this knock-off amazon laminar lip and holy poo poo is it great. The wind buffeting is gone completely and I can see straight on the freeway again!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I installed this knock-off amazon laminar lip and holy poo poo is it great. The wind buffeting is gone completely and I can see straight on the freeway again!

Here it is, the dadest post.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Here it is, the dadest post.

I have become the forums dad. Move over lowtax!!!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

At least you chose the right day to post that

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Got a link?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Y25DJH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CUk8EbFWV26GY

There are a million of these on amazon under different names but all clearly coming from the same factory in China, so I bought what was cheapest, ratings be damned.

After some research, I found that mounting it like I have it, with the shield “down” and the mounting gear essentially behind the laminar lip part is the way to go. Most of the bad reviews are from people who mounted it and then extended it all the way up like so:

This puts the full force of the wind right onto the little adjustment arms, and they snap. Lots of reviews from people complaining of it snapping the first time they got on the highway, accompanied by a picture of the thing way out in the wind, subjected to like 90lbs of wind force. Don’t do that

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Anyone with a quarter ounce of brain should be able to look at that picture and go "Hmm. Giant stays to brace the wind screen. Exposing something with 1/10th the surface area with 1/100th of the support to the same forces probably isn't a good idea." Instead, they set things up that way and learn a lesson when the spoiler snaps off and hits them in the face, the lesson being to go post an all-caps 1 star review on Amazon.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The first thing I do with any product to see if it's quality is check the 1 star reviews, if a decent proportion are people complaining that it doesn't do something it's not supposed to I take that as a sign that the item probably fine.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

The first thing I do with any product to see if it's quality is check the 1 star reviews, if a decent proportion are people complaining that it doesn't do something it's not supposed to I take that as a sign that the item probably fine.

This goes double for anything "technical".

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yo dawg. We heard you liked windshields...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh no what is happening to me

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

You've become a dad!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yo dawg. We heard you liked windshields...

Do not speak to me or my son ever again

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Your bike looks like it was just rescued from a helicopter crash and the nice paramedic put a blanket on it but it's still shook.

Alternatively your bike is a 1960's eastern bloc nurse.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah it's not my bike, it's from their website, but I am finding myself strangely attracted to it.

I also have wanted to paint it sage-green for a long time.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

First thought

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Combat Theory posted:

First thought

This forum just can't stop posting oldwings.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
We still talkin bout DadShields?

I bought a second, taller windscreen for times when I might want to drive incredible distances without wind blowing my helmet around.

And I hate it. I hate it so much. It keeps the wind off my head, but it feels so detached from riding a motorcycle, even if I am driving a couch. I'd rather deal with the minor buffeting I get with my shorter windscreen than try riding looking through this. It's flared up toward the top to help with wind like the shorter one, but it distorts your vision as you're looking through it.

Alas, I have dadded too close to the sun. Which is actually how I feel because I didn't get any wind on me to cool me down during this last ride.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

You've become a dad!

Dad wouldn’t be caught dead with that color though.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New Acerbis X Factory handguards on the KLX230.

In the background: a Duke 390 and a shameful hoard of wheels and tires

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

We still talkin bout DadShields?

I bought a second, taller windscreen for times when I might want to drive incredible distances without wind blowing my helmet around.

And I hate it. I hate it so much. It keeps the wind off my head, but it feels so detached from riding a motorcycle, even if I am driving a couch. I'd rather deal with the minor buffeting I get with my shorter windscreen than try riding looking through this. It's flared up toward the top to help with wind like the shorter one, but it distorts your vision as you're looking through it.

Alas, I have dadded too close to the sun. Which is actually how I feel because I didn't get any wind on me to cool me down during this last ride.

Watching a Harley guy slowly realise middleweight naked bikes are really the only good bikes out there is really heartwarming.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Watching a Harley guy slowly realise middleweight naked bikes are really the only good bikes out there is really heartwarming.

I've come to the conclusion that my Harley is not a motorcycle but rather just that chair from Roundhouse on two wheels.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

I've come to the conclusion that my Harley is not a motorcycle but rather just that chair from Roundhouse on two wheels.

An Electra Glide?? What do you think I am, made of money?

Hmmn, made of money ...

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I think I've got a moto hauler set up

and it rides and accelerates fine enough for me but I was wondering if anyone had any experience using helper springs for the rear? I know it doesn't affect payload capacity but it supposedly helps with body roll as well as ride height.

I test drove it around and took it up to high way speeds and on curvy roads and it felt just dandy. The rear dropped about an inch from empty to loaded down. Tell me I'm dumb af

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

and it rides and accelerates fine enough for me but I was wondering if anyone had any experience using helper springs for the rear? I know it doesn't affect payload capacity but it supposedly helps with body roll as well as ride height.

I test drove it around and took it up to high way speeds and on curvy roads and it felt just dandy. The rear dropped about an inch from empty to loaded down. Tell me I'm dumb af

What’s it rated for? I wouldn’t think you’d need helper springs for a few hundred pounds.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I've never used super springs myself but I've installed tons of them at work and I've never had a customer have a complaint about them.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

they are like $300+ so i think I'll hold off and instead use that money to buy one single 200 superbike rear that will last one track day

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I threw a 1500 lb add a leaf on my Ranger a while back and it added a comical amount of lift, like 8". After we dropped the blocks out and cranked up the front a bit, it was actually pretty sweet for towing and hauling, if a bit stiff as a daily driver. Was probably unnecessary in retrospect, but I was towing a boat a lot at the time.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I know that my 08 4runner is noticeably lighter and looser in the front end at highway speeds with my 300lb of dirt bike/hauler on the hitch due to how far past the rear axle it is. It's still safe and drivable but definitely a noticeable difference.

I've got coil springs vs leafs, so people usually put airbags in there to help with the added weight. I wouldn't personally choose to install new springs to lift and firm up my daily ride for the few times I need to haul my bike. I also wouldn't change anything if you don't notice much of a difference in ride quality.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I think the selling point of the super springs is that they only engage when enough weight is put on them, otherwise you keep the stock vehicle handling characteristics when unladen. I think I'll hold off and spend that money on something else. thanks for the input before this dumb as hell forum dies it's lovely dumb death

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Insured and tagged the 250 again so I can hit the parking lot and practice on a bike I have no second thoughts about dumping training low speed stuff.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Old and Busted vs New Hotness

Wanted a Washougal, but they're backordered right now.

I went from a 100 to a 120 because I'm an idiot who doesn't know what tire sizes mean.

Holy poo poo mounting tires with a No-Pinch and Tubliss is a loving dream.

That Warp9 wheel is loving TRASHED, bearings have at least 10thou slop, and are notchy as gently caress, clay mud poured out of the spacer when I pulled it, I have a rebuild kit, but the Warp9 does NOT use stock sizes, contrary to their website, so the new tire's on the OEM D.I.D. wheel, I'll remount the TKC80 to the Warp9 when I figure out how to rebuild it.

I can finally do a wheelie instead of just shredding the grass in my yard!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Did anybody order, like, four large pizzas?

If I'm gonna have a bike that supports big rear end cargo options, I might as well get them. At minimum I can keep my helmet and jacket on the bike and take my work poo poo to meetings without needing to wear a backpack. Whenever onsite meetings become a thing again.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That's not a bad looking couch.

Just bin the Warcraft decal.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

Just bin the Warcraft decal.

Hah. I put that on there because it's easy to make, and helps me figure out exactly which bike is mine in a parking lot since the road is just flush with HD touring bikes and they all look the same from behind. It also, like the Harley Davidson badge, seems to make people want to argue for no apparent reason.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

Hah. I put that on there because it's easy to make, and helps me figure out exactly which bike is mine in a parking lot since the road is just flush with HD touring bikes and they all look the same from behind. It also, like the Harley Davidson badge, seems to make people want to argue for no apparent reason.

Unrelated to Warcraft, which I know nothing about : do you have a tiny bell somewhere on the bike? If you aren't the first owner be sure to check for it hanging underneath or by the front of the frame.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Unrelated to Warcraft, which I know nothing about : do you have a tiny bell somewhere on the bike? If you aren't the first owner be sure to check for it hanging underneath or by the front of the frame.

My brother bought me one for my last bike, and about six weeks later that bike got totaled. I’m not particularly superstitious but the bell doesn’t seem to help and I’m not inclined to replace it.

Anyway I bought it new. No bells.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

My brother bought me one for my last bike, and about six weeks later that bike got totaled. I’m not particularly superstitious but the bell doesn’t seem to help and I’m not inclined to replace it.

Anyway I bought it new. No bells.

Afaik they do work as advertised in that they prevent breakdowns by making sure you crash before that can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Afaik they do work as advertised in that they prevent breakdowns by making sure you crash before that can happen.

Well in that case the bell is 100% effective.