Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We have a Summer sale coming up in a few days, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zesty posted:

We have a Summer sale coming up in a few days, right?

https://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think I'm too old and slow for Cook Serve Delicious. I bought 3 on glowing recommendations from this thread and I can see how it's good, but as soon as I upgraded to having to try and use difficulty 2 dishes I just couldn't hack it anymore. My brain is too slow to process it or something.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think I'm too old and slow for Cook Serve Delicious. I bought 3 on glowing recommendations from this thread and I can see how it's good, but as soon as I upgraded to having to try and use difficulty 2 dishes I just couldn't hack it anymore. My brain is too slow to process it or something.

Go slow and focus on doing just the recipe. Don't aim for golds until you feel confident with the menu.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Just keep practicing until the muscle memory and the mental flow kick in. :feelsgood:

It becomes infinitely easier once your body goes on autopilot.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 21, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kennel posted:

Just keep practicing until the muscle memory and the mental flow kick in. :feelsgood:

muscles & memory tend to improve most during rest after being tested so you might wake up tomorrow & find yourself god-king of all... waiters? chefs? I've never played a Cook Serve Delicious

anyway the point is sleep on it if you get frustrated

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Finished XCOM Enemy Within, found out I actually like these games. Missing a 90% hit will always be bullshit though.

So I'm looking to buying XCOM 2 from the summer sale. Is XCOM 2 War of the Chosen similar to Enemy Within (it just adds stuff to the base game), or is it entirely separate?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It'd be easy if it was just muscle memory but any recipe that has a variation just slows me down dramatically. Like, even basic cookies gently caress me up since I need to stop and read and parse which button to click is the one that matches the required flavor. I try to fill in my menu with non-variation recipes but that's not always an option. This would maybe be easier if I was playing on keyboard instead of mouse but that would require way more keyboard skill than I have.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Superanos posted:

Finished XCOM Enemy Within, found out I actually like these games. Missing a 90% hit will always be bullshit though.

So I'm looking to buying XCOM 2 from the summer sale. Is XCOM 2 War of the Chosen similar to Enemy Within (it just adds stuff to the base game), or is it entirely separate?

You need the base game to play War of the Chosen. It’s a bit more substantial than Enemy Within- I would say do your first campaign without it to get used to the changes, then when that ends in flames, do your second one with WOTC.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Superanos posted:

Gameplay-wise it adds stuff to the base game, but uses a separate launcher because they changed some things on the back-end for load times and such that made the base game not work. It's a lot of changes though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Superanos posted:

Definitely check the xcom thread because there are some QOL mods you'll want for it just to make it a bit smoother but I put so much time into that game it's really good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You need the base game to play War of the Chosen. It’s a bit more substantial than Enemy Within- I would say do your first campaign without it to get used to the changes, then when that ends in flames, do your second one with WOTC.

I'd argue the other way around, XCOM2 without WotC feels empty and kind of lifeless.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Superanos posted:

Just pm me and I’ll send you a copy I got from the last humble monthly. I already owned it. It’s a fantastic game.

War of the chosen is a really solid add on. I am a broken person and went long war 2 instead but I enjoyed the several hours I spent in wotc.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
They are not entirely similar but since people are talking about squad-based tactics, I'll shill for the Valkyria Chronicles series because they always go for dirt cheap during sales and the sale is coming soon.

I also feel like a lot of people are sleeping on the Rhythm Doctor demo and I'm really disappointed.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Something that helped me a lot in CSD 1 was to change the keybinds so their position mattered more than the actual letters. For example, to prepare a fish you have to clean it's head (left arrow), body (down arrow), and tail (right arrow), but then the seasoning is on L(emon) and S(alt). You can change that to JKL UI, so you only need one hand and everything is close. Same with Lasagna. I have no idea what I'm putting in there, but one recipe for me is ASDF ASDF ASDF and another one is ASJDF ASJDF. K ended up being everything with a downward motion (pouring coffee, dunking fries into the fryer, tenderising meat with a hammer, etc...)

I assume you can do something similar in 3.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So PHOGS! is loving adorable

You are a stretchy legless two-headed wiener dog. One gamepad stick controls each head. You have access to most important dog functions like barking, fetching, and being pet. Puzzles tend to involve one head grabbing or eating an item so the other head can poopbarf an element of some sort. It's a little like Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons but :kimchi: instead of :smith:

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sounds like a good idea. I did the same with the older game: I played a couple of missions of Enemy Unknown until someone told me that I should just do Enemy Within instead, and it was pretty much the same with the extra mechanics added into the original campaign.

Playing the Enemy Unknown missions and then switching to Within and seeing the meld stuff get added into the game helped me get used to how it all works.

Jordan7hm posted:

Just pm me and I’ll send you a copy I got from the last humble monthly. I already owned it. It’s a fantastic game.

War of the chosen is a really solid add on. I am a broken person and went long war 2 instead but I enjoyed the several hours I spent in wotc.
The key works, thanks a lot for the generosity! I'll be looking for the DLC on the sale, will play the vanilla game in the mean time.

Superanos fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 21, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Det_no posted:

I also feel like a lot of people are sleeping on the Rhythm Doctor demo and I'm really disappointed.

OK this owns

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Creeper World 4 demo is really good.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Det_no posted:

Holy gently caress does this game go places, instant wishlist.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I also just downloaded Rhythm Doctor and yep game owns.

Edit: The gameplay reminds me very much of the minigame from Rhythm Heaven with the ghosts behind the fence that you have to hit on the beat as they jump across the gap. The stuff around it.. well, yeah go play this.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 21, 2020

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I can't believe how good the Titanfall 2 single player is. The multiplayer is cool but I've been very pleasantly surprised by the campaign.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Karanas posted:

What are goon opinions on Code Vein?

If you don't like anime you might not like it. The story and character design are very anime. That being said it is a really solid Dark Souls type game. It's a lot more fast paced than Souls game and has skills/special abilities, a poo poo ton of different classes. The variation you get in Dark Souls is from the weapons or if you are a mage but Code Vein is mainly about the class system. The core gameplay of Code Vein is really pleasing and the bosses are really fun, a few of them reach Fromsoft levels of awesomeness. But there is lots of inspiration from DarkSouls 1 in terms of areas visually and 1-2 bosses are very very similar. The character creator is really good, there is good replay value because of all the classes, challenging bosses and gameplay being solid just like a Souls game.

The biggest difference other than the edgy anime aesthetics is that the game can be play entirely with a companion or online co op. I honestly think solo is a much better experience because co op ruins these types of games as the bosses aren't really designed to fight two people at once but it's there for those who want it.

So I think it's a very good game and worth it on a discount. The DLC are super expensive and poo poo so avoid them.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will say that to me Code Vein felt very much like a Lords of the Fallen situation where it was a game made by fans of Dark Souls who don't understand what makes a good Souls game, rather than actual game designers. It's chockablock with bad hitboxes, bad animations, horrid enemy design.

That said I am fairly alone in this opinion AFAIK so most people would probably enjoy it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Chas McGill posted:

I can't believe how good the Titanfall 2 single player is. The multiplayer is cool but I've been very pleasantly surprised by the campaign.

It's great, it has more memorable points than most call of duty games and it doesn't overstay its welcome too keep you from that sweet multiplayer

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Orv posted:

I will say that to me Code Vein felt very much like a Lords of the Fallen situation where it was a game made by fans of Dark Souls who don't understand what makes a good Souls game, rather than actual game designers. It's chockablock with bad hitboxes, bad animations, horrid enemy design.

That said I am fairly alone in this opinion AFAIK so most people would probably enjoy it.

I agree with that, and I'd also add that God Eater is the Code Vein of Monster Hunter. It's just awful. If you absolutely need to play an off-brand Monster Hunter, you're much better off with (the hilariously overpriced) Toukiden 2.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

It seriously has a half-life/portal level of polish and inventiveness. I don't know if it was lightning in a bottle or what but the team that made it is supremely underappreciated.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I started playing The Outer Wilds and I am intimidated as hell by all the stuff that is out there. Also turns out I would suck rear end at being an astronaut.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Hyperawareness of everything that can kill you probably makes you a good astronaut rather than a bad one.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It seriously has a half-life/portal level of polish and inventiveness. I don't know if it was lightning in a bottle or what but the team that made it is supremely underappreciated.

:ssh: Titanfall 2 originally got sent out to die a quiet death between Battlefield and Call of Duty's release dates because EA is gonna EA and then their team got repurposed for Apex Legends in its entirety.

e: And when I say "between" I mean "Battlefield came out one week, Call of Duty the next, and Titanfall 2 was slipped in the middle."

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 22, 2020

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Chas McGill posted:

Infinite Warfare was wayyy worse on most counts, not sure how everyone slept on Titanfall.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tezzeract posted:

Infinite Warfare was wayyy worse on most counts, not sure how everyone slept on Titanfall.

because EA are fuckwits

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Tezzeract posted:

Because EA sent it out to die.

Battlefield 1: 21 October 2016
Titanfall 2: 28 October 2016
Cod: Infinite Warfare: 4 November 2016

Literally sandwiched between two popular shooter franchises, one of which is also scifi. It was basically a new property to most people as no one played Titanfall 1 as it was only on Xbone and Origin on PC

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Decided to just go ahead and buy the Steam version of Streets of Rage 4 because I wanted it for my permanent library. S-Ranked Stage 1 Mania on my first try. Heh, no big deal. :smugdog:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Monathin posted:

:ssh: Titanfall 2 originally got sent out to die a quiet death between Battlefield and Call of Duty's release dates because EA is gonna EA and then their team got repurposed for Apex Legends in its entirety.

e: And when I say "between" I mean "Battlefield came out one week, Call of Duty the next, and Titanfall 2 was slipped in the middle."

They also released BFV's Firestorm mode a month after releasing Apex Legend. I think EA are just fuckwits.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Veotax posted:

Because EA sent it out to die.

Battlefield 1: 21 October 2016
Titanfall 2: 28 October 2016
Cod: Infinite Warfare: 4 November 2016

Literally sandwiched between two popular shooter franchises, one of which is also scifi. It was basically a new property to most people as no one played Titanfall 1 as it was only on Xbone and Origin on PC

Ya Titanfall could have been a massive new IP like Destiny but EA hosed it up for Respawn. Anyway happy Respawn had success with Apex Legends and apparently Fallen Order sold 10m+ copies which is amazing for a singleplayer game even though it's based on one of the strongest media licenses.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Oh EA are absolutely fuckwits, you won't hear a disagreement from me. I was just trying to address the "how" of EA being fuckwits in this particular instance. :v:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So did Respawn get blackmail material on whoever runs EA after they hosed them on Titanfall 2 because it astounds me that they were allowed to release a complete singleplayer Star Wars game with no season pass or microtransaction bullshit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

EA probably realized they can still profit $700mil a year from FIFA cards and get free good press for not including microtransactions in their other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

So did Respawn get blackmail material on whoever runs EA after they hosed them on Titanfall 2 because it astounds me that they were allowed to release a complete singleplayer Star Wars game with no season pass or microtransaction bullshit.

EA may have in fact actually learned from the Battlefront 2 debacle, depending on if they stick to their word with Squadrons. Of course they're still absolutely pulling exactly the same poo poo with FIFA but no one gives a poo poo about FIFA so it doesn't get the same yelling.