Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Black Griffon posted:

couple of Qs about FE3H:
If the game is relatively easy, which difficulty should I start at?
English or Japanese VA?

Edit: ah whups double post

Normal should be okay, especially if you've played a turn-based RPG before. Also there's a permadeath/no permadeath setting separate from actual difficulty modes, I recommend no permadeath (called casual). Either way, you can rewind time a limited number of times per map.

I have no real opinion on VA quality, but there's a lot of incidental unsubtitled lines for combat results, running around the hub etc, so English might be better for that unless you can understand Japanese or don't care about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

isn't permadeath part of what makes the FE games exciting? only played the mobile one, so I wouldn't know.

Edit: also normal is the easiest; did you mean hard?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Black Griffon posted:

isn't permadeath part of what makes the FE games exciting? only played the mobile one, so I wouldn't know.

Yes, but mostly because it turns losing any character into a fail condition, not because you're actually expected to leave people dead and push on. Casual mode is generally for people who just want the story (and anime dating sim) parts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Permadeath is toothless in Three Houses because you got a million undo buttons by the end of a route. Classic FE games utilized it much better. I still love Three Houses though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Permadeath is toothless in Three Houses because you got a million undo buttons by the end of a route. Classic FE games utilized it much better. I still love Three Houses though.

It was always a bit pointless because people who cared enough would just savescum

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Right, well, if I'm doing casual I should at least go for hard mode, yes?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Black Griffon posted:

I did mean normal, I forgot there's no easy. So far it's been fairly easy but also I've seen about 1/3 of the game, so I'm being careful about my recommendations here, sorry :v:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Black Griffon posted:

Yes. It’s too easy on normal, even for someone like me that only played Awakening before it on normal.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.

Black Griffon posted:

In my experience the main difference between classic normal (with Golden Deer) and classic hard (with Blue Lions) was tedium - I felt that in the endgame, the game tested how many weapon uses I had than any ideas for the maps. I didn't feel meaningfully challenged at all, just annoyed.

Furthermore, as a series veteran, I thought a lot of the new mechanics were a bit confusing, so I appreciated playing on normal to familiarise myself with them. But I am not great at video games :v:

Then again, you have the option to switch from hard to normal (but not the other way around) at any point during the campaign. So feel free to try hard, if it's not fun you can switch, no shame in that.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've been playing much more Divinity 2 than I expected to so I'll chime in and say that if you know you're interested in the genre, you'll enjoy it.

It does have a few rough edges and jank that prevent me from recommending it to the general populace (some of which are exacerbated by joysticks), but just Google as you feel the need and enjoy the ride otherwise.

I've sank enough hours and not hit the point where the encounters become trivial to say that they've done surprisingly well with the pacing or scaling or something.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You really should buy it and play it. There's a reason they got the Baldur's Gate license after the reception it get. It's seriously one of the most open-ended games I've played and the way the systems and skills all play together is unlike any other RPG you'll have encountered. It's as close to to a tabletop RPG in terms of flexible and novel approaches to things as a non-text RPG has come.

Alright youve convinced me, I bought it and as soon as I finish FF7 ima boot it up!

Hows it in handheld? 90% I play in handheld

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Yes, but as someone said most players tend to restart levels so to avoid losing soldiers. I do think it's meant to be played with true perma-death, no restarting, and refilling your ranks as you go. That would let you play the most intelligently, problem is the units often become endearing and you hate to see them go.

Hell, I may look for my DS Lite and try FE7 just like that.

---

FF8 has more or less killed my enthusiasm from 6-7. It's not bad, but it's a strange game with rather unlikeable characters. I finally have what I assume is the airship so I'm hoping this weird trip is wrapping soon. I think I'll take a break with Assassin's Creed Pirates before jumping into 9.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

I asked about this before, quoting some of the replies fwiw:

Lazy_Liberal posted:

yeah three houses is easy unless you purposefully handicap yourself. even using punchy wizard children, it's not too bad imo. new game plus f'get about it. the DLC is good hard and maddening is ugh hard.

lunar detritus posted:

I think that a big part of the difficulty drop (or at least the perception of it) is that you can redo your turns multiple times without having to restart the battle. So, what took multiple resets (if you lost someone) now it's just a slightly longer battle.

Andrast posted:

The a few early maps might be a bit tricky on hard if you have never played a game like this before but the difficulty drops off a cliff soon after (and you can't increase the difficulty later)

I'm doing a Hard Classic run and so far so good, had no previous experience with FE, only tactics game I'd played was Shining Force III.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The point of permadeath in FE is less to Ironman it (although you certainly can play it that way) and more to establish character loss as an actual failure condition. It's a lot less appealing to send someone on a suicide mission for some side objective when you don't get them back at the end of the chapter even if they got a bunch of spears through the chest.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Artix posted:

The point of permadeath in FE is less to Ironman it (although you certainly can play it that way) and more to establish character loss as an actual failure condition. It's a lot less appealing to send someone on a suicide mission for some side objective when you don't get them back at the end of the chapter even if they got a bunch of spears through the chest.

Yeah, even the devs have said that resetting (before the time rewinding existed) is the intended way to play for most players. It's very important for the map design.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

ah jeez, now I feel like I should be playing on classic

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

You can always play on casual but just act as if the game was on classic (rewind time when you lose an unit etc.)

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
What would happen if one let all recruitables die? Would the game fill the roster with Generic Sword Wielder, Generic Mage, etc?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Storm One posted:

What would happen if one let all recruitables die? Would the game fill the roster with Generic Sword Wielder, Generic Mage, etc?

Nope, you'd just have a roster with only the characters whose death is a game over

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Black Griffon posted:

You should. Restart.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

all right gently caress it I'm doing classic hard. I didn't play hundreds of hours of xcom to treat this poo poo like a $1.50 kindle romance novel.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Andrast posted:

You can always play on casual but just act as if the game was on classic (rewind time when you lose an unit etc.)
This is what I do. I'm not entirely sure why I didn't just pick classic in the first place.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Black Griffon posted:

all right gently caress it I'm doing classic hard. I didn't play hundreds of hours of xcom to treat this poo poo like a $1.50 kindle romance novel.

You definitely won’t have any major trouble. Have fun.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Has anyone picked up Burnout? I’m not getting it until it’s under $30 but was wondering how the port is

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

hatty posted:

Has anyone picked up Burnout? I’m not getting it until it’s under $30 but was wondering how the port is
Looks like it runs and plays well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsvXgmlwLUU

I'm not sure what to think about the reviewer complaining about the lack of a proper main objective and suggesting there should be a story. What would a story in Burnout even be like? You're John Burnout and you have to win races and smash billboards to save Paradise City from Wizpig?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not a Children posted:

It was always a bit pointless because people who cared enough would just savescum

It's not pointless at all. It becomes a tactical decision. If you're twenty turns in and your beloved assassin bites it, do you allow them to die, or do you restart the entire map? Permadeath adds weight to every decision you make in classic FE. In Three Houses, it's pretty weightless since you can undo your last few moves.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It seems to play fine, though I'm kind of put off (just a bit) by the weird and amateurish looking contextual controls menu that you pull up with "-" during a mission. It seems very placeholder-ish.

I only bring this up because I don't seem to remember it from the PC version, and also because Invisible Inc is a Klei game, and they polish the hell out of everything.

That super minor gripe aside, it takes a bit to get used to the controls, but it's the same game, which is the most important thing.

If you like it on PC, it's a solid choice.

Thanks! I've had my eye on this ever since Austin Walker rode hard for it in the giant bomb goty podcasts: actually have it on pc but on Switch maybe I'll actually play it

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Hammer Bro. posted:

I've been playing much more Divinity 2 than I expected to so I'll chime in and say that if you know you're interested in the genre, you'll enjoy it.

It does have a few rough edges and jank that prevent me from recommending it to the general populace (some of which are exacerbated by joysticks), but just Google as you feel the need and enjoy the ride otherwise.

I've sank enough hours and not hit the point where the encounters become trivial to say that they've done surprisingly well with the pacing or scaling or something.

I know which game you mean, but this got me thinking & the older ARPG Divinity 2 would go really well with the Switch & now I want it really bad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doc M posted:

Looks like it runs and plays well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsvXgmlwLUU

I'm not sure what to think about the reviewer complaining about the lack of a proper main objective and suggesting there should be a story. What would a story in Burnout even be like? You're John Burnout and you have to win races and smash billboards to save Paradise City from Wizpig?

I don’t want a story but I found Paradise feeling kinda aimless myself. I wish Burnout 3 got a port instead. I don’t think open world works the best for the formula.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t want a story but I found Paradise feeling kinda aimless myself. I wish Burnout 3 got a port instead. I don’t think open world works the best for the formula.
Yeah, honestly I've never been the biggest fan of Paradise although I did 100% it when the remaster came out on Xbox a couple of years back. I like the non-open world games better, especially Burnout 2, 3 and Dominator.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yes, but as someone said most players tend to restart levels so to avoid losing soldiers. I do think it's meant to be played with true perma-death, no restarting, and refilling your ranks as you go. That would let you play the most intelligently, problem is the units often become endearing and you hate to see them go.

Hell, I may look for my DS Lite and try FE7 just like that.

---

FF8 has more or less killed my enthusiasm from 6-7. It's not bad, but it's a strange game with rather unlikeable characters. I finally have what I assume is the airship so I'm hoping this weird trip is wrapping soon. I think I'll take a break with Assassin's Creed Pirates before jumping into 9.

You won't have this issue with 9. Almost all of the characters are fun and interesting and the setting is bright and fun instead of sterile and industrial. 9 is my favorite FF pre-7R

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The worst thing about "open world" racing games is that the tracks suffer hugely because of it.

Burnout 2 did it best with 5-10 wholly unique tracks and then another selection of 10-15 tracks that combine sections of those tracks to make new tracks. The world is big and connected but you can't just drive all over anywhere you want.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

The worst thing about "open world" racing games is that the tracks suffer hugely because of it.

Burnout 2 did it best with 5-10 wholly unique tracks and then another selection of 10-15 tracks that combine sections of those tracks to make new tracks. The world is big and connected but you can't just drive all over anywhere you want.

Yup, exactly. Same reasons I didn’t enjoy the Forza Horizon games as well. The closest thing to “open world” that works for racing games is something like cannonball runs ala OutRun.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I absolutely adore Horizon, but it's because of exploration, car modding and the feeling of driving the open road listening to podcasts and music, not because of the races. The races in 3 and 4, the ones I own, are incredibly weak. I have fun with them, yes, but the only ones I truly enjoy are the set pieces, and those aren't really races in the first place. I guess it's a credit to the rest of the games that I still consider them absolute bangers, even with the races being poo poo tier.

So yes, agreed, open world is anathema to good tracks.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

That's why I love the crew 1. It's literally a next gen cruisn usa.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The thing that makes it work with Paradise imo is that for one there aren't tracks, all the races start from whatever intersection you're at and they all end at one of 8 landmarks. So you're constantly seeing the same things from different angles, unlike something like Forza Horizon where they're carving tracks out of the open world so you still need track specific knowledge its just all the tracks look the same, in Paradise you build up more of a general knowledge about locations and once you know how to navigate one of those eight locations that's something you can apply widely across lots of different races. By the end of Paradise you know Paradise City extremely well

+ the boosting mechanics are built around really being aware of certain areas and having the confidence to drive dangerously and build up more boost, so it works in favor of that also

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The thing I hated the most about burnout paradise was that there wasn't an easy way to restart a race in case you hosed it up as most of the time one big mistake/missed turn would cost you a race unless you were really really good at coming up with routes on the fly

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

The thing I hated the most about burnout paradise was that there wasn't an easy way to restart a race in case you hosed it up as most of the time one big mistake/missed turn would cost you a race unless you were really really good at coming up with routes on the fly
They patched the retry option into the game a month or so after the original launch in 2008, so that at least is not a problem anymore. Hit a direction (left, I think) on the d-pad to access the menu and select Retry from there.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Doc M posted:

They patched the retry option into the game a month or so after the original launch in 2008, so that at least is not a problem anymore. Hit a direction (left, I think) on the d-pad to access the menu and select Retry from there.

hell yeah i didn't know this, so yeah with that patched out I can recommend burnout at like $30 because it's a decently fun arcade racer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

negativeneil posted:

You won't have this issue with 9. Almost all of the characters are fun and interesting and the setting is bright and fun instead of sterile and industrial. 9 is my favorite FF pre-7R

That's what I've heard, but I need a break from JRPG's; shot-gunning 3 one after the other was bit much in the end, even if FF6 and FF7 are among the best ever made.