Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Yellow Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Yellow-rumped Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Northern Harrier by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Hi thread,

Well I inherited a 50D with its 18-55mm kit lens, and I've spent the last few weeks really learning and exploring it (by "it," I mean the camera and photography in general), chiefly on neighborhood wildlife such as these severely cropped birds that I was really excited to capture. I read the first few pages after the helpful OP, and I've been hard at work trying to learn what telephoto zoom lenses are out there. I want to spend no more than about $500 and I've got no illusions about filling the frame with something like these pictures on that money, but if I can meet it halfway...

Seems like about 300mm is about as far as an average Joe like me can go before the money gets big. And the major price break point seems to be whether there's IS, which at first I was thinking of going without so I can save the money while I force myself to develop better skill with a steady hand. But now I'm thinking more along the lines of that being a fool's errand and IS being essentially mandatory at these focal lengths. What say you? Recently I learned that IS is only good on still subjects, which in retrospect seems kind of obvious because if it's moving, there's nothing to stabilize on. So it wouldn't help me with birds in flight.

But even more recently, I learned that some lenses have a mode 1 and mode 2 IS, where mode 2 only stabilizes in the axis perpendicular to panning, so you can track objects while panning and it fixes the cross wobbles but doesn't mess up your tracking. Is this something that's good for my purpose? Of the lenses in my price range, it looks like the Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM has this, but it's a discontinued lens, while its current follow-on the II doesn't have it. https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/compare?models=11922,40290 Wassapwiddat? Reading Amazon reviews, both of these lenses (the old one being available used only) are generally well-reviewed and it seems would fit the bill. Any comments to my specific questions, or more general advice for the person in my position (i.e., answers to the questions I didn't ask but should have) would be welcome. Thanks.

Also can somone tell me what kind of bird the middle one is?

IMG_3853_2

IMG_5282 (2)

IMG_5067 (2)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 22, 2020

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

vessbot posted:

Also can somone tell me what kind of bird the middle one is?

IMG_5282 (2)

That's a starling! Very pretty(and noisy) birds. They're an invasive species in North America unfortunately.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
IS is less necessary a) when you're on a tripod b) when your shutter speed is really fast because you have lots of light. So if you're taking photos mid-day in the sun, you can maybe get away without it. But you're probably not going to be happy with that solution eventually, since bird activity is often better and lighting is more attractive in the morning/evening. And using tripods/monopods a lot is pretty constraining unless you are going somewhere like a short boardwalk through a wetland where you don't have to move much and the birds come to you...

I haven't explored all the lens options, but you are actually getting pretty close to used Tamron 150-600 G1 territory. I think I got started on that older Canon 70-300 EF lens you mentioned and it was pretty good although I ended up upgrading. I'm not sure how it compares to whatever the recent Tamron or Sigma 70-300's. Those might be pretty much as good and possibly save you a little money (although I'm not sure exactly how a used Canon vs. new Tammy/Sig would stack up).

I don't have experience with any of the older Sigma zooms but they had some models that were, e.g. 50-500 or 150-500. I'm not sure what the used market is like for them but that's probably the best option for something longer than 300 that's more or less a walk-around lens.

With the 50D and Canon EF 70-300, you'd have basically the setup I started with 10 years ago. This means it's perfectly capable, but there are real improvements in both lenses and bodies that have happened in the meantime that you'd need a little more cash to move to.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

BetterLekNextTime posted:

IS is less necessary ...

Yeah, I should specify that I'm interested in handheld only. And even in keeping to beginner to mid level gear, I don't want to hamstring my ability to shoot closer to dusk, which points me toward IS.

If your old EF 70-300 is the one I'm looking at, do you remember anything about the mode 2 IS? If it does what it seems to do from my surface level of understanding, it's weird that they took it off the newer version, because it would be a shoe-in for helping stabilize moving animals. Maybe it turned out to be a useless gimmick, but OTOH maybe it was so good that they took it off the mid level gear to leave it only on the pro stuff?

I looked at the Tamron 150-600, and after I got past the woozy fantasies of having something like that to shoot with, I think that it's at a level beyond where I'm looking to be, in terms of walking around ability. It says it's so heavy that you shouldn't have it unsupported from the body, so now if need to temporarily let go for some reason I need a tripod (or I let go without needing to, like we've become aware wrt. subconscious face touching in the last few months...)

What about the buying process? I'm thinking about used for the obvious reason (after getting over my hangup over it not being "perfect") but I've been told for that that you definitely want to try the lens out at a store. But then I'm so excited about this that once I've made a decision, I don't wanna wait weeks or even months for stores to open up! :ohdear: (edited to add, this is actually in good in forcing me to do some more thorough research instead of shooting my load too early because I want to have one in the mail tonight! I'm loving the filtering tool on dpreviews, any other must-use resources in this journey?)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 22, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

vessbot posted:

Yeah, I should specify that I'm interested in handheld only. And even in keeping to beginner to mid level gear, I don't want to hamstring my ability to shoot closer to dusk, which points me toward IS.

If your old EF 70-300 is the one I'm looking at, do you remember anything about the mode 2 IS? If it does what it seems to do from my surface level of understanding, it's weird that they took it off the newer version, because it would be a shoe-in for helping stabilize moving animals. Maybe it turned out to be a useless gimmick, but OTOH maybe it was so good that they took it off the mid level gear to leave it only on the pro stuff?

I looked at the Tamron 150-600, and after I got past the woozy fantasies of having something like that to shoot with, I think that it's at a level beyond where I'm looking to be, in terms of walking around ability. It says it's so heavy that you shouldn't have it unsupported from the body, so now if need to temporarily let go for some reason I need a tripod (or I let go without needing to, like we've become aware wrt. subconscious face touching in the last few months...)

What about the buying process? I'm thinking about used for the obvious reason (after getting over my hangup over it not being "perfect") but I've been told for that that you definitely want to try the lens out at a store. But then I'm so excited about this that once I've made a decision, I don't wanna wait weeks or even months for stores to open up! :ohdear: (edited to add, this is actually in good in forcing me to do some more thorough research instead of shooting my load too early because I want to have one in the mail tonight! I'm loving the filtering tool on dpreviews, any other must-use resources in this journey?)

Rent the lens first if you can.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

vessbot posted:

Sorry, no, I don't think I used it.

quote:

If you get something this heavy, I'd strongly recommend getting a BlackRapid or some other kind of carry strap that screws into the tripod foot. Many of the lenses longer than 300mm will come with a tripod foot that is roughly at the center of gravity of camera + lens. When you don't have the camera actively in your hands/at your face, it hangs more or less parallel to the ground at your side without putting much strain on the body mount where the lens attaches to the body. The warning may be about using the default straps that attach to the sides of the camera body, and here a heavy lens can put some strain on the mount (although the 50D should be in better shape than a low-end rebel).

quote:

I wouldn't buy from anywhere that didn't have a good return policy and at least a 90-day warranty. For what it's worth, I had to return my first (new) Tamron 150-600 G2 because it was not focusing well with my camera. Second one works great.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Barn Swallows by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Killdeer by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Missed the focus on this one, but still like how it turned out
Yellow Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I went to go trim a bush by the back patio this afternoon, I guess I won’t be doing that for a while! :3:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Hey guys! So I did something irresponsible. Tamron 100-400 came in the mail this morning. I was just floored. Also I appreciate it that much more after spending a few weeks cropping thumbnail sized birds out of a 55mm shot. Most of these were in the shade, looking into the sun, etc. I can't wait to get my mind re-blown the first time I have good light.

[/url]IMG_8322

IMG_8098

IMG_7756

Overexposed and overfed:
IMG_7691

IMG_7737

IMG_8159

e: if it's got wings and is airborne, can it be an honorable bird?

Also I got ID's on all of them but one, does anyone know the messy looking black one below the crow?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 28, 2020

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

vessbot posted:

Also I got ID's on all of them but one, does anyone know the messy looking black one below the crow?

Congratulations! It appears to be an immature grackle.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

tui by Marc, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Raikyn posted:

tui by Marc, on Flickr

Such a character, Tuis are great fun to photograph.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Finally managed to get out to shoot some birds.

A trio of little brown jobs

Linnet by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Nesting by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Male Reed Runting on a reed. by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_0068-Edit.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Nice moody pigeon in East Berlin.

Let me counter that with this cute little guy in this pretty, dreamy setting:

After a few outings with my new lens, I got some birds doing things slightly more interesting then just being birds. I count "flying" as one of those slightly more interesting things, because holy drat, it's hard to get! With the kit lens at 55mm, I could actually pretty reliably whip over to track something (especially because I had great situational awareness with my other eye open and at the same zoom level) but of course everything is tiny. I did get some close ups of robins I snuck up on until they took off, that would have been great, except they're all against the ground as background, and flying directly away from me. Now with the 400mm lens... absolutely no way.

After a few days, it feels like it set at about 125-150 mm is about the closest one might have any realistic hope of whipping up and tracking something. (And I mean mostly smaller things like robins and starlings.) How does this match up with everyone else's experience? The only bigger, slower bird around here is the occasional crow, which it feels like after enough practice I could be able to start tracking and then zoom tighter. But it only happens rarely enough that any time I get one, the excitement shakes up everything immediately.

It seems the only way to get a flying bird at the tighter zoom levels is to frame it up sitting on a branch with some space in front, try to guess when it'll take off, and start shooting in burst. (It was a nice surprise when I turned off raw that the burst buffer went from 10 to 40 shots, and would write off faster too.) So this way, I finally got a few flyers.

Any other flyer tips/general discussion? I feel like there surely must have been before in the thread, but if anyone might have some page numbers...

Anyway let's start with this cardinal shaking the poo poo out of this poor little worm (I love how the light caught the water droplets... or worm juice, whatever)

... and flying away! Sorry about the severe overexposure, but it was my first flyer with the new lens, and I don't want to let it go...

It's falling, with style!

Robin back with the kit lens, but I felt worth including

I'd say my best flyer to date. Starling?

Can anyone get an ID?

Here he is on the ground for reference

A song house sparrow preparing for battle

And fully embroiled

edited to remove a few more ones I'd posted before, oops!

vessbot fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 6, 2020

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Your black bird is a grackle, as is the juvenile, I think.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I keep scoring "grackle" on all these unknown birds!

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

The last two are House Sparrows not Song Sparrows.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

really like this one

Photographed a Bobolink for the first time, they have the coolest call - they sound like random 1980s computer noises

Bobolink by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Eastern Kingbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Puffy by B. B., on Flickr

Planting Chickens by B. B., on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Yesterday was a good day, had rained the night before, was due to be nice for a day guess Barn Owl might be out earlyish evening with good enough light for the 400 + extender even at f/8 etc.

Barn Owl Flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Barn Owl Talons by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 14, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Great shots.

So I picked up an 80-200 Nikkor f/2.8 with some other lenses I bought from my buddy WILD EEPROM. I tend to use a Tamron 150-600 (the bad, early version) and I'm wondering if I might be able to use a 2x teleconverter on the 80-200 and have better results, since the Tamron is so soft even at f8. Is f2.8 too small an aperture to really consider using a TC with?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

VelociBacon posted:

Great shots.

So I picked up an 80-200 Nikkor f/2.8 with some other lenses I bought from my buddy WILD EEPROM. I tend to use a Tamron 150-600 (the bad, early version) and I'm wondering if I might be able to use a 2x teleconverter on the 80-200 and have better results, since the Tamron is so soft even at f8. Is f2.8 too small an aperture to really consider using a TC with?

I don't know what you mean by too small, f/2.8 is a wide aperture for a telephoto and wide apertures tend to teleconvert the best in terms of resultant aperture and AF points. For specific experiences with lenses on bodies with telelconverters it's best to read reviews or hire the teleconverter.

With a 2x you will lose 2 stops so you'll be at f/5.6 and possibly will lose a certain amount of focus points AF may become slower or not work depending on your body.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-a...20of%20f%2F5.6.
http://www.nikon-asia.com/kdb/EN/2006/4909/nikkor_teleconverters.pdf

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jarlywarly posted:

I don't know what you mean by too small, f/2.8 is a wide aperture for a telephoto and wide apertures tend to teleconvert the best in terms of resultant aperture and AF points. For specific experiences with lenses on bodies with telelconverters it's best to read reviews or hire the teleconverter.

With a 2x you will lose 2 stops so you'll be at f/5.6 and possibly will lose a certain amount of focus points AF may become slower or not work depending on your body.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-a...20of%20f%2F5.6.
http://www.nikon-asia.com/kdb/EN/2006/4909/nikkor_teleconverters.pdf

Hey, yeah sorry I understand how they work and losing stops and such, I should have worded my question better. I guess I'm actually curious if a 400 f/5.6 is fast enough because I think I'd be shooting it at 1/1000 anyways so even with good light that's a little high on ISO probably.

The lens also doesn't have VR so it's 1/1000+ maybe faster.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

VelociBacon posted:

Hey, yeah sorry I understand how they work and losing stops and such, I should have worded my question better. I guess I'm actually curious if a 400 f/5.6 is fast enough because I think I'd be shooting it at 1/1000 anyways so even with good light that's a little high on ISO probably.

The lens also doesn't have VR so it's 1/1000+ maybe faster.

Not having VR is a problem handheld.

400mm f/5.6 is pretty standard for longer "cheaper" handhold able telephoto zooms, it's what I use generally 100-400 f/4.5-f/5.6 IS L II (except I put a TC on and go down to f/8 when the light is good) high ISO is just the price we pay for handheld tele.

That owl shot was was handheld 560mm shutter prio at 1/1600, with the camera selecting f/8 and ISO 500, I did have very nice light though and Barn Owls are very bright, so you can turn the exposure compensation right down.

When I was photographing the owl there was another guy there shooting with me, he had an older 400 prime f/2.8 with the same teleconverter so he was at 560mm as well but at f/4 but that lens is so heavy he was on a tripod with gimbal. Now the owl flew around a bit and got a mouse and went to sit in a tree but it was too far away and the sun was behind a cloud and as it was later on the shots were not good (ISO was unacceptable).

560mm, f/8, 1/1000, ISO 1250

Then the sun came out and the light was glorious the owl could fly from the perch at anytime and given the location the Owl would have to fly generally towards us now I looked at the positions and reckoned the owl would fly directly towards me if I was 200 meters down the track, so I was able to just walk there and keep an eye on it in case it flew while I was moving the guy with the tripod stayed where he was as otherwise he would miss the shots if the owl moved and he had to plonk down his gear. In the end I was right and the owl flew directly at me and I got the shot I got. whereas he was further away.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 15, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jarlywarly posted:

Not having VR is a problem handheld.

400mm f/5.6 is pretty standard for longer "cheaper" handhold able telephoto zooms, it's what I use generally 100-400 f/4.5-f/5.6 IS L II (except I put a TC on and go down to f/8 when the light is good) high ISO is just the price we pay for handheld tele.

That owl shot was was handheld 560mm shutter prio at 1/1600, with the camera selecting f/8 and ISO 500, I did have very nice light though and Barn Owls are very bright, so you can turn the exposure compensation right down.

When I was photographing the owl there was another guy there shooting with me, he had an older 400 prime f/2.8 with the same teleconverter so he was at 560mm as well but at f/4 but that lens is so heavy he was on a tripod with gimbal. Now the owl flew around a bit and got a mouse and went to sit in a tree but it was too far away and the sun was behind a cloud and as it was later on the shots were not good (ISO was unacceptable).

560mm, f/8, 1/1000, ISO 1250

Then the sun came out and the light was glorious the owl could fly from the perch at anytime and given the location the Owl would have to fly generally towards us now I looked at the positions and reckoned the owl would fly directly towards me if I was 200 meters down the track, so I was able to just walk there and keep an eye on it in case it flew while I was moving the guy with the tripod stayed where he was as otherwise he would miss the shots if the owl moved and he had to plonk down his gear. In the end I was right and the owl flew directly at me and I got the shot I got. whereas he was further away.

Thanks for the time spent writing. Sounds like it'll be acceptable at least most of the time with good light, guess I'll keep my eyes open for a 2x tele in F mount.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I was just cropping my owl shot for Instagram (ugh 1080 pixel square crop but the only way my friends will see some of my work)

Just for a laugh I tried to figure out what focal length I'd have needed if I only wanted the same crop at 100% pixels i.e. shooting for Instagram with no resizing.

Barn Owl wingspan + a small amount of breathing room is say about 1 meter, approx focal distance from EXIF is 43 meters, 24 megapixel APS-C (6000x4000) 1.6x crop factor.

Online calculators reckon I need 200mm to do that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Close Pass by B. B., on Flickr

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Guyz! Hey guyz! I just left the neighborhood for the park, and got some of my first serious flying bird shots! :dance::holy::neckbeard::woop:

Iiii'm just gonna go ahead and count this one.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've not been out photographing much and even worse at actually posting stuff here. Best thing that's happened this spring is having some luck with some local owl nests. The first was right in the parking lot of my local park. There were ravens in it lat winter and then I checked on it again a bit later and there was an owl. Finally a few days ago the owlets left the nest. The first two pics are of one of these chicks. Still in the super fluffy stage...

Wildcat Owl Nest-3764 on Flickr

Wildcat Owlet-3747 on Flickr

About a month ago I heard another bunch of loud babies elsewhere in the park and they've stuck around for a few weeks for some photos.

Wildcat Owlet pair-3864 on Flickr

Wildcat Owlet pair-3873 on Flickr

I'd occasionally still see one or both of the parents around too.
Wildcat owl golden hour, on Flickr

Bonus vulture from near my house

Gyuto TV-3482 on Flickr

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Fledgeling Red Winged Blackbird

Cedar Waxwing

Northern Shoveler

Whitebreasted Nuthatch

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Nice set, Waxwings are the best!

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Someone loaned me a camera and I have no idea what I'm doing, but these came out well.

Tanith fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 22, 2020

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Back out today, this time with the sun out

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_0571.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_0807.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!
I don't often take photo of birds but sometimes I do if I spot one nearby. I also don't often post on the forums but I lurk a lot and like to look at you guys' bird shots. With the whole 'forums might be going away but then possibly not now going away' I decided I should post more. So here are some birds I've got over the past year.

I took this out of my car window while eating an icecream, I like how the flying one is looking at the other one like he's gonna attack him or something but really he just landed next to him.

A robin! Robins rock cos they're the only birds in my local woods that will come super close and chill out while i'm chilling out with my friend and his dog.

I took this one in my back garden, I learned recently that starlings are invasive in the US so are uncool but they're native here so this guy is cool.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Post 'em if you got 'em! Love the robin. Nice stuff Fart Amplifier and vessbot too (that great blue with the fish, awesome).

Some almost grown up birds
Black Phoebe juv-3949 on Flickr

Young Raven-3916 on Flickr

And I'm pretty stoked about this wrentit. I hear them all the time but they're usually hiding.

Wrentit-4014 on Flickr

Wrentit-4031 on Flickr

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Edited to add the lady, who is (to my eye) uncharacteristically yellow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk