Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

There Bias Two posted:

Today I found out that a close friend of mine who works at a hospital lost their father to COVID-19 last night. And also that their entire immediate family is probably infected.

I've been lucky enough to not have been personally impacted by this so far, but I think all of us will before it's over with.

Between my wife and I, we know of 4 people who died from COVID. Two were close friends, and two were family acquaintances. I'm in NE Ohio. Speaking of which:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...tinues-to-spike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait what’s an Assad truther?

An Assad truther claims the entire rebellion against Assad in Syria was somehow manufactured by the CIA

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

rt4 posted:

An Assad truther claims the entire rebellion against Assad in Syria was somehow manufactured by the CIA

Pretty sure an assad truther is one who weirdly pretends there is just no chance assad would use chemical weapons on his own people, even though the rest of the world agrees he did.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I read an interesting article about how young people always do dangerous stuff whether there's a pandemic or not. It's part feeling immortal, and part for the kick.

The bottom line was we may try as hard as we want to make them comply to rules, there will always be stuff like that, everywhere on the globe.

Not to say it's OK, or that it's not a selfish behavior (it totally is) just that it will happen again.

That would be more encouraging to our situation, if not for the reality that it's not just our young people who are spreading the disease; boomers have been out in force making it clear that they don't want to wear masks and need to have different friends over for dinner every loving day.

Also the whole thing where numerous other countries have nearly stomped out the pandemic despite having tons of young people. Not saying that they have universal compliance, but obviously enough compliance to keep their numbers from growing exponentially

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have any of the rest of you been noticing grocery stores being low on stock lately? Across 2 or 3 chains, all the grocery stores in my area of shoreline connecticut have been weirdly low on stock, especially still paper towels/toilet paper, canned goods, and I'm not hearing any talk about supply chain issues. Is this a regional thing, or is this going on but nobody wants to talk about it?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Have any of the rest of you been noticing grocery stores being low on stock lately? Across 2 or 3 chains, all the grocery stores in my area of shoreline connecticut have been weirdly low on stock, especially still paper towels/toilet paper, canned goods, and I'm not hearing any talk about supply chain issues. Is this a regional thing, or is this going on but nobody wants to talk about it?

i wanna say its people with some foresight seeing things are keeping accelerating and are preparing for poo poo to get real come the evictions panic july 1

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I work in paper and packaging supply chain. We have no issues making the product, but orders are wayy down and we're frequently sitting drivers or closing plants for a day because they're too far ahead.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My grocery store was fully-stocked when I went yesterday. If anything the rice shelves had more than usual, like even for the pre-pandemic days; so much so that they were actually running a sale on rice

There will probably be cyclic supply after-shocks for some time, like rubbernecking in traffic

naem
May 29, 2011

unexpected crazy poo poo is happening and will continue to happen, for like at minimum another full year, people are stocking up on beans and ammo and butt-wipe

e: I’ve been eating so much drat rice

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Went to Target and all the outdoor supplies are gone.

LOL we're so hosed.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
My Publix is having trouble getting in pork and beef deli meats, both their brand and Boars Head. Tons of chicken and turkey but nearly out of all of the hams and roast beefs. Really hosed up the Rubens I was planning to make for dinner this past week.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I stopped eating meat and it's been a real blessing because nobody is clearing the fake meat freezer out

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

feelix posted:

I stopped eating meat and it's been a real blessing because nobody is clearing the fake meat freezer out

Doesn’t fake meat cost more and is generally worse nutritionally? I mean you do you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm extremely pro vaccination, but I have some trepidation about a covid vaccine that's been fast tracked by people with a political agenda to be seen 'just doing something'. How likely is it a vaccine with badly understood side effects gets rushed out?

Am I becoming antivax? Did they get to me? gently caress. I'll take one smallpox with a side of polio TIA.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Shaocaholica posted:

Doesn’t fake meat cost more and is generally worse nutritionally? I mean you do you.

Whoa I never considered that, thanks for the heads up

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I work in paper and packaging supply chain. We have no issues making the product, but orders are wayy down and we're frequently sitting drivers or closing plants for a day because they're too far ahead.

I work for a large railroad. One of my customers was bidding on some freight from a paper manufacturer, only to be told that volumes are down roughly 60%.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outrail posted:

I'm extremely pro vaccination, but I have some trepidation about a covid vaccine that's been fast tracked by people with a political agenda to be seen 'just doing something'. How likely is it a vaccine with badly understood side effects gets rushed out?

Am I becoming antivax? Did they get to me? gently caress. I'll take one smallpox with a side of polio TIA.

This just shows how out of touch you are. TB is the hotness this year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shaocaholica posted:

It costs more and it’s not great nutritionally (eat your beans, folks), but I don’t think it’s actually worse than red meat.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Outrail posted:

Having some concern is reasonable - there have been historic gently caress-ups with vaccines before. It's really a matter of risk-assessment and reading up on what actually ends up going out the door. Is it approved for use in Europe as well as the US? Which regulatory agencies are on board with approving it? Covid-19 is a global problem, so I'll be looking to see if countries untainted by Trump are on board with it when determining safety.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

rotinaj posted:

Yeah, I just back from the Stop & Shop in Groton and the shelves are still distressingly sparse. It feels a little apocalyptic.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Platystemon posted:

It costs more and it’s not great nutritionally (eat your beans, folks), but I don’t think it’s actually worse than red meat.

I think the hypothetical optimal diet would include some red meat

I also think it's possible to have like a 99% optimal diet as an ovo-lacto-vegetarian and like a 95% optimal diet as a vegan, and nobody who's having this conversation has anything close to an optimal diet so it doesn't matter

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

MasqueradeOverture posted:

LOL we're so hosed.

Like the patio furniture? Or do you mean the lot of gardening stuff. Soil, pesticides, related tools?

Is the “ we’re hosed” because you believe folks are en-mass prepping to grow their own vic... survival gardens?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

MasqueradeOverture posted:

LOL we're so hosed.

idgi

People are spending lots of time at home. No, you can't even buy a cheap quick set pool because people don't want to go swim in corona juice to the point people are selling them on Ebay and Amazon for 3-4x regular price. Lots of gardening supplies are tougher to come by because people are gardening for various reasons either as a hobby to pass time or to grow food other people haven't touched. Patio sets? Yeah, they're also gone because people are spending more time at home with family. Same with grills, etc.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

please do not have an anxiety attack because you saw target was out of citronella candles

feel free to have one if they run out of tiki torches though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lmao I forgot about neo‐Nazis and their Tiki® torches.

They can’t even wrap a rag around a stick. “Help me, capitalism. You’re my only hope.”

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Outrail posted:

Nah, it's not antivax to be a bit suspicious of a vaccine that's been rushed out. The commercial and political incentives to have the first Covid vaccine in production are unprecedented, and even with lesser incentive to rush a crap product onto the market there's plenty of examples of drugs and vaccines that turned out to either be ineffective or cause some nasty side effects.

The number of doses produced initially will be fairly limited so it's only going to be at-risk groups getting them - medical workers and other people exposed to the virus on a daily basis. By the time it's available to the general population there should be a fair bit of info as to whether it's working and whether it's causing any problems.

As someone else mentioned, it's worth looking at which countries have approved it. The EU seems to have higher standards generally, and the US quite low standards so if something is approved for use in the US but not the EU it might be worth holding off on getting vaccinated.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Sir Not Appearing posted:

idgi

People are spending lots of time at home. No, you can't even buy a cheap quick set pool because people don't want to go swim in corona juice to the point people are selling them on Ebay and Amazon for 3-4x regular price. Lots of gardening supplies are tougher to come by because people are gardening for various reasons either as a hobby to pass time or to grow food other people haven't touched. Patio sets? Yeah, they're also gone because people are spending more time at home with family. Same with grills, etc.

I assumed the post was implying that people were going full prepper and getting ready for a prolonged period without basic necessities.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
And how old you are and your situation.
I will get vaccinated asap because in March unemployment runs out (I'm so lucky to be getting it)

I have absolutely no skills that can be working from home enough to support myself so it is either work dangerously unvaccinated or get covid or roll the dice with the new vaccine.

Also I so don't want to never have a boyfriend again so I will take that risk. I will see what they are giving in the EU tho, and other countries first.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Nah, it's not antivax to be a bit suspicious of a vaccine that's been rushed out. The commercial and political incentives to have the first Covid vaccine in production are unprecedented, and even with lesser incentive to rush a crap product onto the market there's plenty of examples of drugs and vaccines that turned out to either be ineffective or cause some nasty side effects.

The number of doses produced initially will be fairly limited so it's only going to be at-risk groups getting them - medical workers and other people exposed to the virus on a daily basis. By the time it's available to the general population there should be a fair bit of info as to whether it's working and whether it's causing any problems.

As someone else mentioned, it's worth looking at which countries have approved it. The EU seems to have higher standards generally, and the US quite low standards so if something is approved for use in the US but not the EU it might be worth holding off on getting vaccinated.

Don't be surprised if you have less choice than you might like, though--"All employees who work in this office must have the vaccine. Also, all employees are due back in the office in two weeks. See you then!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Don't be surprised if you have less choice than you might like, though--"All employees who work in this office must have the vaccine. Also, all employees are due back in the office in two weeks. See you then!"

The barefaced freedom people won’t stand for that.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spinz posted:

And how old you are and your situation.
I will get vaccinated asap because in March unemployment runs out (I'm so lucky to be getting it)

I have absolutely no skills that can be working from home enough to support myself so it is either work dangerously unvaccinated or get covid or roll the dice with the new vaccine.

Also I so don't want to never have a boyfriend again so I will take that risk. I will see what they are giving in the EU tho, and other countries first.

I’m confused what a boyfriend has to do w this?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Platystemon posted:

The barefaced freedom people won’t stand for that.

Since it's business owners demanding it rather than the government they'll actually be all in favour of it.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

I assume because it's hard/extra dangerous to meet new people and date with a global pandemic on. So a vaccine could open up possiblities.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Burt Sexual posted:

The transmission of coronavirus between two adults who love each other very much.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabor posted:

Since it's business owners demanding it rather than the government they'll actually be all in favour of it.

They’re not in favour of business enforcing mask code right now.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Burt Sexual posted:

Dating is a wee bit off the books without any covid protection and anyone worth dating would either a)have the vaccine and only see you if you also had it or b) continue to not date people until a trustworthy vaccine goes out.

Singling and mingling is kind of a horrible thing to do right now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It will be hilarious if COVID NOINTEEN hangs around your balls forever and becomes an STD you can acquire without the S

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

FoolyCharged posted:

Dating is a wee bit off the books without any covid protection and anyone worth dating would either a)have the vaccine and only see you if you also had it or b) continue to not date people until a trustworthy vaccine goes out.

Singling and mingling is kind of a horrible thing to do right now.

I think at least one health organization recommended glory holes in order to facilitate covid-free sex.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

A guy I know caught the virus two months ago and blew it off because he’s an rear end in a top hat. It was a mild case and he just kept going about his normal life. He passed it to his father, who died, and now he’s a few states away at a beach week with a bunch of people and a girl he just met who’s almost half his age. Oh and one of my close family is there too, but they swear they’re taking covid-19 seriously.

Thanks for reading my “we’re doomed” story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sigmund Freud has joined the chat.