Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The backstory they're pushing for Snoke in the comics is that he enticed Ben while acting as the gardener for Luke's new academy right? Even if that blame it in Sith force veiling it whatever that just makes Luke seem like an even bigger idiot and more of a failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Before episode 9 that would have been a good explanation for how his face got all hosed up looking, an epic showdown with Luke where he fled in disgrace

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

The backstory they're pushing for Snoke in the comics is that he enticed Ben while acting as the gardener for Luke's new academy right? Even if that blame it in Sith force veiling it whatever that just makes Luke seem like an even bigger idiot and more of a failure.

I don't think so - Ben visited Snoke on a space station that had a garden in it in one of the comics, but that was right after he fled the academy and it was implied it was the first time they'd ever spoken face to face.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Snoke would have been a way better character had he not been a Sith lord and was just a regular guy. Let's say he's an Admiral who survived v the Battle of Endor. It would fix almost everything wrong with the First Order and give Kylo a much more interesting arc in the first two movies.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*rewatches Rise of Skywalker*

...hm, I'm actually starting to enjoy Palpatine, Rey, and Kylo's interactions

Forgot about the guy whose first thought when Palpatine is revealed to be alive is casually dropping the fact he's aware of Sith rituals and cloning, and then later translates Sith dialect, rendering the entire fetch quest portion of the movie to Canto Bight levels of relevant

You can once again completely ignore literally everything about Finn and lose nothing in terms of understanding the slog that is this movie

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vinylshadow posted:

*rewatches Rise of Skywalker*

...hm, I'm actually starting to enjoy Palpatine, Rey, and Kylo's interactions

Forgot about the guy whose first thought when Palpatine is revealed to be alive is casually dropping the fact he's aware of Sith rituals and cloning, and then later translates Sith dialect, rendering the entire fetch quest portion of the movie to Canto Bight levels of relevant

You can once again completely ignore literally everything about Finn and lose nothing in terms of understanding the slog that is this movie

It's so unbelievably bad. I was watching it with a buddy on Discord last night and I was getting actively angry at how scattershot the whole thing was: The editing, the writing, the cinematography (Jesus Christ, Dan Mindel, you used to be good), the plotting ... Jesus. When Rose said she had to stay home to do homework on Star Destroyers I was so astounded that I wanted to get high (though I don't have weed).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

General Dog posted:

Thought about “they fly now?!” the other day and had a little chuckle

The "Stay low Chewie" line made me facepalm.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You could probably make a pretty good story with Ben, brought back to life by the force but stripped of his powers, his title, and his empire, bumming across the galaxy with force ghost Anakin as a mentor, learning more about the nature of the force and what it will take to truly bring peace to the galaxy in the aftermath of the First Order's collapse and the elimination of the New Republic.

I'd rather they save this for the Tales of the Jedi trilogy/tv adaptation. I think all this High Republic stuff is really building to that anyway.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Timby posted:

It's so unbelievably bad. I was watching it with a buddy on Discord last night and I was getting actively angry at how scattershot the whole thing was: The editing, the writing, the cinematography (Jesus Christ, Dan Mindel, you used to be good), the plotting ... Jesus. When Rose said she had to stay home to do homework on Star Destroyers I was so astounded that I wanted to get high (though I don't have weed).

Rose showed up a lot more than I remembered in this movie - yes, she stayed behind for 60% of the movie, but she then appeared a lot more once they got back from the Filler arc

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Since when did Attack Of The Clones become considered a good movie?

At least 18 years ago

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't particularly enjoy it because I prefer bro moments and manly tears (eg Farscape) but it's got a bunch of cool and interesting stuff in it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The new trilogy made me rewatch the prequels and I found then.. good

Except Phantom Menace, which is still bad (and still much better than RoS)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The prequels had a solid story with poor execution

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
TPM is a great irony movie. I don’t mean that you should enjoy it ironically, but rather that it's fun to watch with the knowledge that every single person in the movie but Palpatine is loving up big-time

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TPM holds up - the other 2 are complete garbage - esp 3.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

TPM holds up - the other 2 are also pretty good - esp 3.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

From a filmic perspective TPM is an extremely good looking film in general and one of the last blasts at large scale film photography. And also has one of Williams' best scores. And was edited pretty well, especially with the Maul fight since it's only editing and score (and choreography) that makes that interesting at all - the stakes aren't anything we care about.

AOTC is much weaker in both. Very ugly early digital photography, a mediocre Williams score, and weird pacing and editing at times.

RotS gets better in score and is much better than AOTC, while still not as good as TPM, editing and cinematography and has Sheev hamming it up as opposed to reserved in the other two.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Darko posted:

AOTC is much weaker in both. Very ugly early digital photography, a mediocre Williams score, and weird pacing and editing at times.

But “Across the Stars” is the best piece of prequel music

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars score. The expanded version at least. When it kicks into Duel of the Fates...my god. As a kid I lost my poo poo.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

CelticPredator posted:

Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars score.

Same but also movie. Of all the Star Wars, Revenge of the Sith is the Star Warsiest.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Revenge Of The Sith is Top 3 Star Wars.

Phantom Menace and Rise Of Skywalker are tied at the bottom for me (Phantom Menace looks nice and blows up the scope of the galaxy, but it fucks up at almost everything else).

Attack Of The Clones is close to bottom of the barrel, but at least it's George hilariously unfiltered.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It rules that every ten days for months someone posts "finally saw ROS what the poo poo"

Star Wars
ESB
TLJ
TPM
ROTS
ROTJ
TFA
AOTC
ROS

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Pretty sure AotC's score suffered because Williams was overworked at the time, with Chamber of Secrets coming out at the same time and having similar issues, plus two other films.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 22, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

General Dog posted:

:hai::respek::hai:

Across the Stars is about as good as Battle of the Heroes—and by that I mean it's really loving good (my favorite tracks). I was hoping Williams would take cues from Across the Stars and somehow use them to weave Rey and Ben's themes together in TROS, but alas.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
God Tier:
- The Empire Strikes Back

Messiah Tier:
- The Last Jedi
- Revenge Of The Sith
- A New Hope

"Pretty Dope" Tier:
- Rogue One
- Return Of The Jedi (Theatrical cut)
- The Force Awakens

"Uh..." Tier:
- Return Of The Jedi (Special Edition)
- Attack Of The Clones
- Solo

"Oof" Tier:
- The Phantom Menace

gently caress Tier:
- The Rise Of Skywalker

gently caress TROS is so bad gently caress gently caress

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 22, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Perhaps Finn should have died in TLJ since they gave him gently caress all to do in Rise of Skywalker.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Perhaps Finn should have died in TLJ since they gave him gently caress all to do in Rise of Skywalker.

Hi john boyega

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

That’s on JJ.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
STAR WARS FILMS

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Last Jedi
Attack of the Clones
Force Awakens
Solo
Phantom Menace
Rise of Skywalker

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

It is okay for the movie its in and would be great for another movie. As far as its usage in the film, I'll always have a soft spot for when it just starts up full bore and then basically does a record needle stop.

As stated, though, that movie just wasn't really scored that well, Williams kind of phoned in the actual scoring and just seemed to work around that singular composition for time's sake.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

MasqueradeOverture posted:

God Tier:
- The Empire Strikes Back

Messiah Tier:
- The Last Jedi
- Revenge Of The Sith
- A New Hope

"Pretty Dope" Tier:
- Rogue One
- Return Of The Jedi (Theatrical cut)
- The Force Awakens

"Uh..." Tier:
- Return Of The Jedi (Special Edition)
- Attack Of The Clones
- Solo

"Oof" Tier:
- The Phantom Menace

gently caress Tier:
- The Rise Of Skywalker

gently caress TROS is so bad gently caress gently caress

This is pretty good except move RotS to the bottom of the "Pretty Dope" tier. And remove the RotJ:SE altogether.

Something I was wondering: has Star Wars ever had a Jedi Vigilante type character? Like a character who can use the Force and is probably an ex-Jedi but now just travels the galaxy doing good, like a Jedi Batman?

Cause I was talking to some friends the other day about how that would have been a good ending for Kylo (tortured soul, doesn't allow himself to be happy, travels the galaxy trying to make up for the horrible things he's done, maybe Jedi Punisher is a more apt comparison), but I don't know enough about the Star Wars EU to know if that's a character that's been done before. The closest thing I can think of to that is Ashoka, but she's not actively trying to be a vigilante (as far as I know - I haven't watched the new season of Clone Wars yet.)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Does Kyp Durron doing genocides count?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

OldSenileGuy posted:

And remove the RotJ:SE altogether.

I mean just an example of how much the SE screws that movie.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Special edition chat is so retro with two other trilogies to gripe about, but I do prefer the laserdisc rip of the first movie. Whatever the going version of ESB and ROTJ is is fine by me, there are big doors and jedi rocks but whatever

Funny how ghost Hayden was a big deal but now everyone loves that goofball

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

There's also an undercover Corran Horn going vigilante against some pirate gangs in the old EU novel I, Jedi. I really enjoyed that book on its own merits, but it was written in part as a way to throw shade on Kevin J. Anderson's awful Jedi Academy series, so you miss out on some stuff without that context.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Special Editions changing Vader's line at the end of ESB and adding in extra stuff where he boards his the star destroyer loving bugs me because it's so pointless.

It's not showing off new tech or linking to the prequels or restoring cut stuff, it's just a pointless addition.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
TROS is the Star Wars equivalent to Star Trek Nemesis

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't have a problem with the special edition of ROTJ, I was never really attached to the Yub Jub song at the end and the replacement is nice as a trilogy ender. The sarlacc having a little prehensile mouth coming up out of its mouth is dumb but w/e

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Revised Tier List, June 2020
God Tier: OT, Mando
Top Tier: TCW, PT
High Tier: Rebels, Solo, R1
Mid Tier: ST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007