Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fafner the Beyond episodes 4, 5 and 6 are out and they made me cry

E: Don't post/link :filez:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The bastard coward mod edited my post but you can find them on nyaa.si

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If only we had rules about linking to fansubs.

Wark Say posted:

03. Support the official release
Fan translations exist, and plenty of people use them. There are even a few licensors who lurk around places that host said fan-translations to gauge interest. It’s okay to link and discuss fan translations; all we ask is that, if an anime/manga/novel becomes legally available, please support the series you like should they ever become available to you. Consider this a gentlemen’s agreement between those of us who wish to keep the industry alive.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm still thankful you noticed us so I could download them, since I don't follow the releases but I do like Fafner.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i watched half of the previous fafner show and then forgot about it until just now. i think i kind of forgot that fafner exists?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i watched half of the previous fafner show and then forgot about it until just now. i think i kind of forgot that fafner exists?

Fafner's really good and you should catch up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Droyer posted:

Fafner's really good and you should catch up.

Fafner's always weird for me in that I both really enjoy getting more Fafner and also really wish it had ended in Heaven and Earth which was basically the perfect finale for the show.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Watching fafner be like

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's probably the best description of that, yeah.

I'm really not though ;_;

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I kind of enjoyed the original series and Right of Left but more Fafner is too much suffering for me.

At least Eva Rebuild has sort of a "we're going to do things different this time" vibe to it before it jumps the rails.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/cacophanus/status/1272746879395090433?s=21

OH SHIII

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drat now I want to watch Zambot

https://twitter.com/SpaceQueenEmily/status/1273688927854112768?s=20

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Zambot 3 is exceptionally good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah even a guy like me that generally doesn't think much of Tomino anymore thought Zambot 3 was fantastic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Killer the Butcher

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Zambot 3 isn't my personal favorite of the various 70s robot shows, but it's absolutely the one I most want more people to watch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started watching Fafner. I'm getting big Rahxephon vibes from it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The faces in Fafner are not good. Very bad faces.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Would you say they're all the same?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sakurazuka posted:

Would you say they're all the same?

No, there's different eyebrow thicknesses, Fafner's dad has wrinkles, and I think there's a couple characters with simple eyes instead of the terrible giant watery eyes everybody else has.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

That’s hirai face for you. The only anime that made them good was Majestic Prince.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tribladeofchaos posted:

That’s hirai face for you. The only anime that made them good was Majestic Prince.

I've heard people criticize him for giving all the characters the same face, but I wouldn't mind if it wasn't such a bad face. They don't have a nose so much as their whole face comes to a point. The entire lower face is just slightly cone shaped. Then you got the big watery eyes and the weird emphasis of the corners of the mouth, it's just a bad deal overall

But on a more positive note, the new Ultraman is a mecha show

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fortunately the best fafner character has the hirai non-descript male face and also wears a big goofy helmet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's weird to me that Fafner's character designs are so samey and bad. Majestic Prince is a pretty good indication that Hirai is quite capable of doing distinctive character designs.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fafner's designs get better in the sequels when the artstyle updates, but yeah it's rough early on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's weird to me that Fafner's character designs are so samey and bad. Majestic Prince is a pretty good indication that Hirai is quite capable of doing distinctive character designs.

Eh? Majestic Prince has the exact same number of faces as any other Hirai property. There's nothing in there that didn't show up in SEED, for instance.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Majestic Prince pulls it off because the tone and direction lets the characters emote and make wacky anime faces. Also not being bound by realistic hair colors makes the characters fifty million times easier to distinguish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

Majestic Prince pulls it off because the tone and direction lets the characters emote and make wacky anime faces. Also not being bound by realistic hair colors makes the characters fifty million times easier to distinguish.

.. as opposed to Gundam SEED where the cast has purple, pink, silver, multitoned and other color schemes?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gripweed posted:

But on a more positive note, the new Ultraman is a mecha show

I think I've seen that robot on Futurama.

The first epsiode was okaaaaaay, but I can't bring myself to watch the second episode, even in the hopes that the director was replaced; it's got a lot of terrible in it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

.. as opposed to Gundam SEED where the cast has purple, pink, silver, multitoned and other color schemes?

I think it's as opposed to Fafner, where they do in fact have realistic hair colors.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
All I know is they keep using Hirai for shows that are a terrible fit for his style

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean given Hirai's style I'm not sure what could be a good fit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh? Majestic Prince has the exact same number of faces as any other Hirai property. There's nothing in there that didn't show up in SEED, for instance.

It might be the fact that the characters were allowed to emote a lot and have bombastic personalities. I remember showing a couple of episodes of MJP to some friends and they could clearly distinguish between the characters basically immediately.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Droyer posted:

I think it's as opposed to Fafner, where they do in fact have realistic hair colors.

Yeah, this is what I forgot to add. For all of SEEDs faults people don't mistake Kira with Athrun. But really the sticking point was the first one, the one about emoting, which is what lets MJP go over both shows.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Earlier in the thread I mentioned reading the manga for God Mazinger, which hit all Go Nagai's favorite dumb topics, but with the protagonist's rear end in a top hat meter cranked to the maximum without any noting that, hey, dude's kinda a dick.

Well, I watched the unsuccessful anime's first episode today.

First, I should be clear what I mean by unsuccessful. This was an anime in the golden age of mech anime, released at about the same time as people were remembering love and believing in the sign of Zeta. It was a time when making it to 50 episodes was pretty common.

God Mazinger ended at episode 23. So, basically, I want to make it clear the kind of expectations I came in with.

And in that context, it definitely could have been worse. In the first episode the protagonist's rear end in a top hat level was dropped to one or maybe one point five from eleven. Instead of being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe, he's just kind of cocky and skips out on homework. He's also mentioned to constantly strike out with girls despite being the school's sports star, which grounds his instant crush on the princess. (And since we don't see him being a pest, it makes him more sympathetic. It's easy to read as "Our Hero is just unlucky while acting within normal social boundaries", rather than "Our hero is a scumbag who harasses all the girls at the school like in the manga"). His scene with his sister is also alright, with them seeming to mock the other while still being fond of each other. There were even a few shots with respectable scene composition to appreciate.

Overall, though... eh. Sending Random Japanese Teen to a fantasy world where he's the hero is the default genre right now, the supporting cast doesn't carry its comic relief scenes, and the fights are dull despite being about a giant robot killing dinosaurs.

Moving on to other mech anime that got cancelled early, I've started poking at Layzner, and I'm curious how well the OVAs cover things. I know the third one is a much better last act than the show got, but I'm not sure how much of the show is considered "filler" and how much actually is lost in compression.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i had no idea that there was a mazinger isekai anime.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i had no idea that there was a mazinger isekai anime.

It's pretty drat obscure, being one of the two shows he produced after the kerfuffle with Toei over Gaiking. The other one was Govarian, and no one's heard of that one, either.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Moving on to other mech anime that got cancelled early, I've started poking at Layzner, and I'm curious how well the OVAs cover things. I know the third one is a much better last act than the show got, but I'm not sure how much of the show is considered "filler" and how much actually is lost in compression.
Layzner deserved so much better and I wish the Mark-II design was animated.

Speaking of Takahashi shows, I'm watching Gasaraki and I dig it. It's real robot with mysticism stuff and I just loving love the first part of the OP with the interior mecha components working themselves.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Schwarzwald posted:

It's pretty drat obscure, being one of the two shows he produced after the kerfuffle with Toei over Gaiking. The other one was Govarian, and no one's heard of that one, either.

Both are still probably more well known than Groizer X though

Also while neither is supposed to be all that great, both do have excellent theme songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Both are still probably more well known than Groizer X though

Also while neither is supposed to be all that great, both do have excellent theme songs

Ehhh...

The thing that stood out to me about God Mazinger's OP is it sounds more like an ED. Normally, the OP's fast paced and revs you up, while the ED calms things down. God Mazinger, meanwhile, goes low key for the opening. You aren't energized for high stakes dinosaur combat. You're primed for sleep. It's even less energizing than something like Anohana's opening, and that's supposed to be melancholy.

It's the opposite of Patlabor's "Midnight Blue", where you're closing with something that could be an opening to another anime.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 30, 2020