Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/BDHerzinger/status/1273625909371662337?s=20

This thread reminded me that when demobbing from Afghanistan and talking to the guys who were in Kurdistan that they didn't even carry while they were on base

The rest of that guys tweets in that thread are hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Just sent that to a P-3C flight engineer friend of mine, and she corroborated the entire thing 100%, which I find incredibly funny.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

Just sent that to a P-3C flight engineer friend of mine, and she corroborated the entire thing 100%, which I find incredibly funny.

They probably got an Air Medal for it.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
We caught a guy recreating the cover of Splinter Cell or whatever on one of our flights. Suspended himself upside down from a hand rail with NVG’s on dual wielding pistols. Looked cool but I’m sure the chiefs chewed his rear end.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, apparently, they're upholding Crozier's firing and delaying Baker's second star over the Roosevelt debacle. :psyduck:

Why the gently caress the CJC would want to put this back into the news cycle is beyond me. People were already pissed over the firing and Modly stepping down combined with the Navy's recommendation to reinstate Crozier were the only things keeping the greater DoD leadership out of the public fryer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm also unclear on how the Chairman has any direct authority in the matter. It's a COCOM issue.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Presumably they drafted the investigation with FOIA in mind.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Godholio posted:

I'm also unclear on how the Chairman has any direct authority in the matter. It's a COCOM issue.

It's not a COCOM issue, it's a service issue, but I agree I'm not sure what the Chairman has to do with it unless he was directed to oversee by SECDEF.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
The report makes everyone above and below Crozier sound like a circular firing squad.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Here's the report

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I didn't know the SMO also wrote a letter and threatened to release it publicly. :psyduck:

Tl;dr - The big sticking points appear to be his focus on getting rooms in town as his primary course of action instead of focusing on just getting everyone off the ship ASAP; his failure to properly enforce social distancing while in transit to Guam*; failing to add C7F to the now legendary email**; that the email was sent after Guam approved the egress of sailor out into town and was thus "too late" and "unnecessary"***; and his general lack of engaging the issue forcefully and immediately while keeping his chain in the loop***.

* - The report talks like it is even possible to practice "effective" social distancing at sea.

** - :jerkbag:

*** - Completely counter to Navy regs and leadership "theory," the Navy has taught officers for decades to always cover your rear end and don't piss your superiors off. I guaran-loving-tee you that the quickest way to piss CSG9 off would be to tell him to pound sand when they failed to get proper guidance from C7F/PACFLT and go ahead with whatever plan, anyway.

Crozier was going to get scapegoated on this regardless of what happened. The thing that pisses me off the most is that Baker is still probably going to get his second star. It'll just be delayed a year or two until everyone forgets about this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
IMO the next president should make Crozier SecNav. Any objections?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

IMO the next president should make Crozier SecNav. Any objections?

Just 10 USC 8013. Have to be removed from service for five years.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

piL posted:

Just 10 USC 8013. Have to be removed from service for five years.

Unless your name is Mattis

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Flikken posted:

Unless your name is Mattis

Not saying its the only voice in the matter. There's a waiver for everything, as they say.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Thanks for the link. Holy poo poo. The idea that you can physical distance on a carrier is insane, it's an enclose space with mediocre ventilation at best. As if the 6ft distancing works anywhere but very large spaces or outside. If anything they should get kudos for using the flash hoods as masks, that probably helped more than most of the other efforts.

There's a part in there where the XO says they had a "10,000 foot screwdriver from [Blue Ridge]" and I'm sure seeing it. It must have been a nightmare having 3 or 4 bosses at various echelons throwing grenades of "guidance" from across the ocean. I think I marked TR getting direction from C7F, CCSG-9, SecNav, N3/5 (3 star) in there...small wonder trust eroded between them and up-echelons.

Obligatory "this is just like, my opinion man"

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/simonharley/status/1274753933269970944?s=20

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I just don't understand how you could socially distance the berthing situation on a carrier. It is not like they are hammocks that can be moved, there are generally not thousands of extra bunks available, and there is no way the goat locker would allow people to sleep during sunlight hours or "The workday" to facilitate having only 1/3 of the crew sleeping at the same time. Even if you tried to split everything up into as many different shifts to spread out as much as possible, the sleeping and eating situations just seems like an untenable situation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only way you could accommodate distancing would be to repurpose the hangar deck, but then you don't have a carrier anymore, you have the world's worst cruise ship.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only way you could accommodate distancing would be to repurpose the hangar deck, but then you don't have a carrier anymore, you have the world's worst cruise ship.

Isn't that what it already is?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ded posted:

Isn't that what it already is?

Pretty sure you'd be more comfortable on a carrier than a Carnival ship.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Your not allowed to sleep during day light hours? Lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Surface fleet rules :lol:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

You need to have a Day Sleeper chit on your rack to not get hassled when they did berthing cleaners or other bullshit. I was part of the Amphibious Squadron staff during my Gator Navy time and the worst thing with the Wasp-class LHDs compared to the Tarawa-class LHAs was that on the LHAs they had a separate staff berthing for blue shirts and a Flag bridge. On the LHDs no such separate so we were in a 250 man engineering berthing. The only upside was Flag Plot was right next to the intel spaces so didn't have to go far to escape from the terrible Senior Chief who ran OZ div.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Hah I thought I had it tough with the chief getting pissed cause I was knocking everyone off at 1500 on arrival/departure days. Just cause I can work someone 14 hours doesnt do me any good if they get up at 0200 and are exhausted at 1300 and just making mistakes and loving poo poo up. Navy rules are loving stupid.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ded posted:

HY-80(ish)

HY-Maybe80

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trump administration decides to cut all funding for Stars and Stripes

e: fixed link.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 22, 2020

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

dead link

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/dod-budget-proposal-cuts-all-funding-to-stars-and-stripes-lawmakers-others-back-news-organization-1.618500

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The Naval Academy rescinded an appointment to a racist and transphobic piece of poo poo from Maryland.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Good.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

What are the odds that POTUS reinstates the POS?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ZekeNY posted:

What are the odds that POTUS reinstates the POS?

Probably very low.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DuffelBlog/status/1275141790212001795?s=19

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

:discourse:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I'm constantly surprised about how good DuffelBlog is, and I really shouldn't be.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/HotMessFo/status/1275885208680706048?s=20

Good times happening in Mississippi

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Oh, it's more than just Mississippi. The hammer's getting dropped pretty much everywhere. The explanation I heard was basically "we offered guidance and you still hosed it up, so now it's becoming a lawful order, here's a page 13".

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh, it's more than just Mississippi. The hammer's getting dropped pretty much everywhere. The explanation I heard was basically "we offered guidance and you still hosed it up, so now it's becoming a lawful order, here's a page 13".

:chiefsay: That's it, fast cruise all-day-everyday. Also no slider Wednesday

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
does this mean no more PT tests since no one is allowed to exercise?

:lol: who am i kidding :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What a perfect time to be on terminal. :smug: