Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

SpacePig posted:

One reliable way to create new jobs is to kill people working the jobs.

sometimes...but i've had multiple people at my company die or retire and management is just like "nah we don't need to replace them, just have 3 or 4 other people pick up the slack"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Uh, yeah, we're in the age of profit via cost reduction, ie labor cuts; anyone who leaves voluntarily just gets added to the slash pile. No backfills, no promotions.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Finicums Wake posted:

facebook is already building a bot that does exactly this for employers. they even used unionizing as the ready-made example of why employers would want to use the feature.

https://theintercept.com/2020/06/11/facebook-workplace-unionize/

our options right now, for the immediate future at least are:
1) dystopian panopticon that's used primarily against the left
2) dystopian panopticon used against the left and the extreme right

pushing for 2 because it's better than 1 doesn't necessarily mean support for dystopian panopticons, it's just our least worst option until the left can seize the state

what the gently caress kind of defeatist poo poo is this

get out and get hopepilled

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

T-man posted:

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

T-man posted:

i'll ask my psychiatrist for some of those next time i see her

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

The chance for abuse within this theoretical system is ridiculous

doesn't take a lot for a bot designed to flag servers with high volumes of racial slurs/violent threats to flag servers where 'union' and 'strike' are used a lot

really dont understand this urge/desire to build a panopticon for the modern version of AOL Instant Messenger

whether you intend it that way or not, this is a lovely concern troll and lovely solidarity, putting your own imagined issues ahead of a very real threat to people of colour

the system I'm describing is in no way a panopticon and suggesting that active monitoring of white supremacy will inevitably erode all free speech is a dumb slippery slope argument that the libertarians who run tech companies use all the time to avoid responsibility for the damage their platforms cause

anyway, if discord wants to crack down on people trying to organise unions, which they have given absolutely no indication they intend to, then they would, regardless of whether the tech already exists to target white supremacists

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Discussing the horrible panopticon of "have active moderation for your public chat service so it doesn't fill up with nazis" here on the something awful dot com forums, a public chat service specifically known (and sought out) for its active moderation that keeps it from filling up with nazis

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Shame Boy posted:

Discussing the horrible panopticon of "have active moderation for your public chat service so it doesn't fill up with nazis" here on the something awful dot com forums, a public chat service specifically known (and sought out) for its active moderation that keeps it from filling up with nazis

the vast majority of discord is like, very small servers made up of like, 12 friends. i get wanting the big (and literally sponsored/verified/publicly listed, even) servers to be actively moderated but snooping through what amounts to a slightly more convoluted group texts is what i'm extremely against. 99% of discord is not a public forum in the slightest

like, most servers on discord only exist to a user if you have an invite url, those are private. if we're going as far as to get a 3rd party to moderate/monitor a chat between a dozen people thats where i completely disagree with this concept

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 10:07 on Jun 22, 2020

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

it's also a lot less of a logistics nightmare to moderate a forum where people from a wide variety of political and social backgrounds can report posts independently of one another

also how do you monitor voice channels in discord, all speech recognition software is trained on very narrow demographics

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get the argument about copyright filters. Copyright filters are terrible, they detect a huge amount of false positives. It's just that there's no alternative to using them.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Laterite posted:

Uh, yeah, we're in the age of profit via cost reduction, ie labor cuts; anyone who leaves voluntarily just gets added to the slash pile. No backfills, no promotions.

I recently got moved to a new project because "there wasn't enough work for everybody" in my old one. The people who remained there are now overworked and sometimes doing as much as 4 hours of unpaid overtime.

It's very efficient.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Old-Timey Capitalism

https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1274846696778788864

Cronk is the drink.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Cronk.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WDi4tAqPkM

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Cronk is good

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Someone(s) in my office has been enjoying a hot cup of Murder coffee

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Nothing as American as a Soviet assault rifle

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Requesting mod name change to Dr Cronk

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

cronking my hog irl

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dex_sda posted:

cronking my hog irl

hag*

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

quote:

👉Erink Cronk and be happy.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The talk of Discord is funny because there's no need for big-brother spying on every 'server', they could just loving start by enabling the ability to report messages and servers without literally enabling developer mode so you can copy the internal IDs for an email to support

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hear some SA mods have insider information on how to infiltrate Discord servers in order to report problematic messages.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Go to the vending machine and pull the lever for Cronk

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"...but now I've grown older and wiser
And that's why I'm turning you in..."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ahahahaha

Why you should put your opinions about unions, the names of anyone talking about strikes, and a list of the softest body parts you don't want hit by police batons on your resume, according to a Chief People Officer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The article is already great and I've only read the first few sentences:

https://www.businessinsider.com/add-protesting-to-your-resume-hr-expert-2020-6

quote:

Not only will doing so help showcase your leadership and resiliency skills, but it will also help weed out employers who aren't aligned with what you believe in.

You know, like all of them.

quote:

When you are seeking job opportunities, it is critical to identify employers that are aligned with your values. For example, take a close look at organizations that are making financial contributions to social justice groups (beauty brands, gaming companies, large corporations, well known brands).

Bahahaha only work for ethical companies like EA Games and Coca Cola

e: Oh those are links, the gaming company is Ubisoft and one of the well-known brands is loving Facebook

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Leadership: Some of you have figured out ways to help others during the protests. You have given out masks and water to those protesting. You have launched fundraisers. You've worked with others to stop looting (and, in some cases, even created physical barriers).

Oh I see, they're talking about putting your Back the Blue protest experience on there, I guess that works.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

me looking for a capitalist company who are aligned w/ my beliefs:

oops there aren't any

necroid
May 14, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Ahahahaha

Why you should put your opinions about unions, the names of anyone talking about strikes, and a list of the softest body parts you don't want hit by police batons on your resume, according to a Chief People Officer

lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

but I thought Raytheon cares?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Jel Shaker posted:

You're thinking of Rayman.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

https://vimeo.com/271688732

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fame Douglas posted:

I hear some SA mods have insider information on how to infiltrate Discord servers in order to report problematic messages.

Just cut out the middle man and make the problematic messages yourself.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Finicums Wake posted:

i'll ask my psychiatrist for some of those next time i see her

They're called mushrooms my dude.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

That's the second stage of resume filtering, for those who make it past the "bin half of them to weed out the unlucky ones" stage.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Lol how do you include protesting in the cover letter.

"I was out protesting the recent injustices against the working class when I saw the 'HSBC hiring!' poster on the wall, I feel like you are exactly the kind of company that shares my values"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Since graduation, I've built a record of professional excellence and leadership by taking initiative and putting myself in charge of paramilitary death squads in Latin America. In this capacity I've prevented damage to private property and created leverage and opportunities for small and large enterprises alike. I believe this makes me qualified for the junior salesman position.