Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

To me having a group of insanely evil assholes who have to be slaughtered en-masse seems at odds with the 'revenge bad, consider the humanity of your enemies' theme. Like what if Joel's killer happened to be from one of the groups of irredeemable fuckers? Guess cross country revenge would've been good and cool then, it was just Ellie's bad luck that the killer was not a completely awful person?

yeah, making them slavers is a cop out

just as in tlou1, where it turns out that the people you're killing as ellie are cannibals led by a pedophile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Infinitum posted:

Yes the last page or so since reopening has been cool and good.

Thank you Goons, please keep it up.

I'm playing the game now so I'm gonna peace out this thread because I know enough spoilers and want some surprises still but wanted to comment on this quickly to say that the thread was always fine, all these posters are good and capable of civil discussion. The only difference right now is that Stux isn't here to troll as usual and the same goes for some other threads as well.

I know you told him not to post until he's played the game (he'll be watching a Let's Play right now) but you're gonna get two weeks of civil discussion and no trouble. When Stux returns expect this and other threads to go down the toilet again but please remember it's not their fault, it's one person that keeps causing trouble and unfortunately some posters got baited into probations because of him.

You and the mods are dealing with enough. If things go south again you only need to look at one person rather than scouring the thread when you should be resting and VideoGames should be enjoying the game without coming into a spoiler thread to figure out what's happening. If you get any reports again you'll know who and what the problem is now. Everyone here's chill and when I was more actively posting, disagreements were discussed in a civil manner with no issue outside of Stux literally trying to bait everyone.

Game owns. Thread owns. Posters own. Mods own. Stux is a troll.

Have a good one everyone, I'm off to enjoy the game some more :cheers:

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Skippy McPants posted:

Unless their opinions are bigoted, right? We’re still cool to dunk on those losers?

Except this is SA, where low IQ posters like to equate a difference of opinion with hate sometimes.

"I don't like this game because the combat is boring"
"Of course you don't like this game because YOU'RE AN EVIL MONSTER YOU JERK!"

plasm
Jul 16, 2019

Dan Didio posted:

I've good news for them.

I’m not sure, if the game kills off one of the two characters that you’re looking forward to playing and then makes you play as the killer it’s obviously going to be about something else.

And if you consider the grand themes of “the futility of revenge,” “let’s look at things from another perspective,” “Israel/Palestine,” and “subverting expectations” it seems to me that the something else is the director’s ego. So yeah I’m not surprised that people are choosing to pass on that trip.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Game owns. Thread owns. Posters own. Mods own. Stux is a troll.

If Stux comes back into this thread and starts making GBS threads it back up, I can very much assure you he will be permanently removed from this thread and will likely be receiving a much harsher punishment for his trouble.

He is not allowed back into this thread until he has played the game, which he has made clear he has no intention of doing so.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

plasm posted:

I’m not sure, if the game kills off one of the two characters that you’re looking forward to playing and then makes you play as the killer it’s obviously going to be about something else.

If you were looking forward to playing Joel, then that's on you. That was never in the cards. He's still featured all the way throughout the game very heavily, it's very much a story that is about him as well as Ellie and Abby.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

plasm posted:

And this is something I don't get, and I think it's tied to that's the great divide TLOU created.
Why would anyone want to play again as Joel? Which Joel would've enjoyed playing as?
Because the TLOU Joel is gone and would've never returned.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've just got to the flashback with Tommy.

I feel like Ellie and Dina have zero chemistry together, so it's hard to give any sort of poo poo about their relationship. Ellie writes in her journal when Dina admits to her pregnancy that she's all "oh gently caress, what do I do?" but all I can think is, "mate, you're a rebound and she's lied to you on a major level, just dump her."

The museum flashback with Joel was well done, it's the only bit of the game that feels anything like the first one up to this point. I don't think it's a coincidence that that's the actual best bit so far.

The gameplay's surprisingly mediocre, but I'm also not that suprised because they've not actually attempted to make the game much different to the first on a gameplay loop level. I'm already kind of bored of it and I'm like a third of the way in.
The visuals are very good, especially considering the PS4 is ancient.

plasm
Jul 16, 2019

Dan Didio posted:

If you were looking forward to playing Joel, then that's on you. That was never in the cards. He's still featured all the way throughout the game very heavily, it's very much a story that is about him as well as Ellie and Abby.

Char posted:

And this is something I don't get, and I think it's tied to that's the great divide TLOU created.
Why would anyone want to play again as Joel? Which Joel would've enjoyed playing as?
Because the TLOU Joel is gone and would've never returned.

I guess people would want to play again as Joel for the same reason they want to play again as Ellie.

If they killed Ellie instead of Joel I would have been just as disinclined to play if you were expected to play with Ellie’s killer.

Killing a protagonist and taking the antagonist’s viewpoint has been done to death recently and to me it comes across as a bit lazy. Maybe GoT was fresher when they started writing this though.

I think you were right though, making a Joel & Ellie P2 that was also interesting would have been difficult.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Oxxidation posted:

those complaints probably originate less in the minutiae of aiming and damage and more that it's the same "stealth, shoot, pick up trinkets and crafting materials and forlorn little notes scattered about" loop that's existed in just about every big-budget third-person game for well over a decade now

i haven't gotten tired of it but i can see how some people would start getting a little weary of all this cash and manpower being dumped into something that innovates so little on the actual gameplay

No, aiming is definitely much more viable in-combat in the first game. I know, because I just replayed it last month. Enemies also aren't able to initiate unbreakable melee combos from six feet away in the first one, while that seems to be happening here all the time. And going toe to toe with someone? Again, in the first one, you're usually fine if it's just one person/infected. In this game, you have to actually dodge, which is difficult to do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

No, aiming is definitely much more viable in-combat in the first game. I know, because I just replayed it last month. Enemies also aren't able to initiate unbreakable melee combos from six feet away in the first one, while that seems to be happening here all the time. And going toe to toe with someone? Again, in the first one, you're usually fine if it's just one person/infected. In this game, you have to actually dodge, which is difficult to do.

did you not read a single word of what i posted

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nail Rat posted:

He's saying the core gameplay loop remains the same core-loop as TLOU 1, the Uncharted Games, most Core-Triple A games. It feels dated and tired.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Oh I see, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about MY complaints.

However, I'm saying...the gameplay is *worse* than old games in some respects.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So are the Uncharted games just like this game but without the zombie horror bits?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

So are the Uncharted games just like this game but without the zombie horror bits?

Minus zombies but plus painfully long climbing sections. The 2nd one is worth playing, but I'd say that's it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Eh? Kinda? They're more action adventure? Uncharted 4 is probably the closest to TLOU.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

They're more fast-paced with less emphasis on stealth and much more lighthearted stories. They also tend to have climbing/jumping sections instead of the "walk around and scrounge for resources" thing you do in TLoU. Uncharted 4 took some cues from TLoU and allowed more stealth than previous games, which I think was a nice improvement to the gameplay (it's fun to drop in and out of stealth to mess with enemies, stuff like that). There's no resource management at all, though, you just use the weapons you find as you go and ammo's never scarce or anything.

Personally I think all the Uncharteds except maybe the first one are worth playing. They're fun action games with charming characters and cool setpieces. IMO Uncharted 4 was a really satisfying ending, too.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

punk rebel ecks posted:

Significantly more action focused, way more lighthearted, and a lot less resource management. Drake and co. don’t use health packs or even take damage, the regenerating heath system was explained by the series director as being your luck running out. Bullets are everywhere and combat is a lot faster.

Good games but not exactly the same, TLOU is much more slow paced and reliant on tension in combat.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

doingitwrong posted:

Can we leave this rebuttal behind? You're in the leaks thread. It's specifically the discussion thread for people who didn't mind getting spoiled — many of whom will never play the game — to discuss the game. We're quarantined over here to not bother the whole other thread of people diligently playing the game and sharing their reactions with each other. You can accuse people of not playing the game over there. In this thread, it's a nice bonus if people played the game, not a requirement for discussion.

Just rent the game lol, christ

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
You have the right to talk out of your rear end, nobody noticing that you are is taking that away from you lol

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Zongerian posted:

Just watch a playtrough lol, christ

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
If The Order 1886 never managed to kill this kind of rote third-person shooting gallery gameplay, I don't think anything will.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It's a really interesting phenomenon when there are people who refuse to play a game but are compelled to discuss it, it's not unique to this game but Nasty Dog have succeeded in pushing the envelope in that regard if nothing else

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zongerian posted:

It's a really interesting phenomenon when there are people who refuse to play a game but are compelled to discuss it, it's not unique to this game but Nasty Dog have succeeded in pushing the envelope in that regard if nothing else

Are you actually going to contribute anything or are you just going to be Stux 2.0?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I don't understand why people want single player crafted third person shooters to go away when we are in an age of eSports and Live Service games.

I agree with Jim Sterling, these titles are gradually becoming "retro".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't understand why people want single player crafted third person shooters to go away when we are in an age of eSports and Live Service games.

I agree with Jim Sterling, these titles are gradually becoming "retro".

I don't think people want single player crafted third person shooters to go away. They just want an update to the gameplay loop. In fact one of my major complaints with this game is it's not linear enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm happy for single-player third-person cinematic games (shooters or otherwise) to keep being made, but I'm also one of those guys who really likes Uncharted and God of War 2018. They're not all I want to play, but I like going on a fun cinematic action game adventure every once in a while.

Gabby_Jay posted:

If The Order 1886 never managed to kill this kind of rote third-person shooting gallery gameplay, I don't think anything will.

Oh my god I forgot about that game

What a wet fart that one was

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Onmi posted:

I don't think people want single player crafted third person shooters to go away. They just want an update to the gameplay loop. In fact one of my major complaints with this game is it's not linear enough.

Or possibly even to have them go back to their origins. Resident Evil 4 and Half-Life 2 did a real good job at constantly changing up the formula.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow, you guys just openly discriminate against people who don't play a game but still want to jabber about it. I didn't play the first one, haven't seen a trailer for the second, haven't read the leaks, only tenuously understand what the series is supposed to be, but I can't have any opinion on it?!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's interesting to me is that, at the time, TLoU 1 felt like it was an update to the gameplay loop. The resource scarcity and how deadly some of the infected could be made it into something other than a regular third-person cover shooter and I enjoyed the gameplay a lot. I did play on Hard, though, and I understand resources are a lot less scarce on Normal so maybe that made a difference.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Harrow posted:

What's interesting to me is that, at the time, TLoU 1 felt like it was an update to the gameplay loop. The resource scarcity and how deadly some of the infected could be made it into something other than a regular third-person cover shooter and I enjoyed the gameplay a lot. I did play on Hard, though, and I understand resources are a lot less scarce on Normal so maybe that made a difference.

It's not an issue of resource scarcity but in that you do the same thing over and over again with little variety.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Wow, you guys just openly discriminate against people who don't play a game but still want to jabber about it. I didn't play the first one, haven't seen a trailer for the second, haven't read the leaks, only tenuously understand what the series is supposed to be, but I can't have any opinion on it?!

Don't be dense

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's not an issue of resource scarcity but in that you do the same thing over and over again with little variety.

Well again, that's me looking back to playing TLoU for the first time in 2013. I'm not sure I'd feel the same way now. At the time it felt fresh to me, at least within its "cinematic AAA action game" genre.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I would've appreciated a gameplay update, God of War 2018 style.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
God of War and Assassin's Creed are two major series who just recently revamped their gameplay basically from the ground up because they had found that people were simply kind of done with pretty much just playing the same game over and over, so it's not an entirely unjustified criticism.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

To be fair TLOU2 is the second game in it's series. God of War had four mainline games (excluding the two PSP titles) and Assassin's Creed...yeah...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Char posted:

There's no sugarcoating I can apply to "if you think the game deserves to be snapped in two after Joel's scene, you should read some drat literature".

What would you recommend?

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Onmi posted:

Are you actually going to contribute anything or are you just going to be Stux 2.0?

I'm not playing the game right now because I'm doing laundry. So I'm going to make a few posts in the thread if that's what you are implying

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fridge corn posted:

What would you recommend?

people keep making comparisons to Cormac McCarthy's The Road but imo The Crossing is a closer fit for the futility of trying to regain what's already been lost (as well as a much better novel overall)

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller is also a pretty decent page-turner about gritty men eking out an existence on a scrub of post-apoc land

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair TLOU2 is the second game in it's series. God of War had four mainline games (excluding the two PSP titles) and Assassin's Creed...yeah...
I haven't played them myself, but a lot of people are pointing out that the basic gameplay is largely unchanged from Naughty Dog's flagship Uncharted series of games, which is another 4 to 8 titles depending on how you count it. It kind of reminds me of the way people criticize The Ubisoft Open World Game and how they're all basically interchangeable except for some of the details, so even if, I don't know, the Watchdogs series only has two titles, it's still running on a lot of the same basic things the company has been doing over and over since Assassin's Creed 1. It's a large part of why I could never get into those games - they just didn't feel like I was actually playing something new.