Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Libluini posted:

Recently I've noticed for the first time in many years that the galaxy map's route planner is borked.

I've always wondered why I could never actually jump to full jump range and a couple days ago I accidentally fumbled my way into targeting stars directly, without getting punted around by the route planner options. Turns out that yes, I can use my 1900 ly jump range, but only if I never touch a route planner.

Well poo poo, all those unnecessary jumps I've made over the years, all that wasted time... :suicide:

Yeah, I really don't think it's borked? It works as intended, you can just skip over those and just click on the system at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Lord help me, I'm gonna start another new game of NMS after my new video card comes in. I wanna see how it does when I stream it to my Oculus Quest.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

John F Bennett posted:

Yeah, I really don't think it's borked? It works as intended, you can just skip over those and just click on the system at the end.

If that's what's intended, it's loving stupid. I mean, I'm not exactly smart either, considering it took me something like multiple years and I never noticed the auto-router never used my actual jump range. I just assumed it's another bug!

This kind of thing makes me miss the ED-router and its thousands of options. Hell, because of the confusing way the NMS-map is layed out, it never even occurred to me that I don't have to use one of the routing options!

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Ok guys, I've recently started playing this game with some friends and this is driving us crazy. How the hell do you complete a photo mission from the agent on XBOX. The internet is full of advice for how to set a PS4 or PC's settings to try and make it work, but I can't find any useful information regarding the Xbox client.

I assume it's just broken and there's no way to fix it, but I might as well ask you goons before I give up entirely.

Other than that, I've been enjoying the hell out of building little bases and casually ignoring most of the questline after unlocking the anomoly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

inkmoth posted:

Ok guys, I've recently started playing this game with some friends and this is driving us crazy. How the hell do you complete a photo mission from the agent on XBOX. The internet is full of advice for how to set a PS4 or PC's settings to try and make it work, but I can't find any useful information regarding the Xbox client.

I assume it's just broken and there's no way to fix it, but I might as well ask you goons before I give up entirely.

Other than that, I've been enjoying the hell out of building little bases and casually ignoring most of the questline after unlocking the anomoly.

Agent photo missions have three types: photograph a biome, photograph a critter, photograph a structure. You need to put the game into photo mode (from down on the d-pad) for all of them, and then take a screenshot.

Biome and critter photos should be self-explanatory (an airless world is the occasional grey hunk of rock with no flora or fauna you may find out there), but for structure photos the central interactable point of the structure has to be in the photo mode frame when you take the photo.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Take a screenshot on Xbox by double-tapping the Xbox Button on your controller, and then pushing "Y"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Take a screenshot on Xbox by double-tapping the Xbox Button on your controller, and then pushing "Y"

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, this is what I've tried. Unfortunately, the mission never seems to complete for me. I've tried both a "photo a terrestrial animal" mission and a "photo a toxic planet" mission, each separately. Unfortunately, while the screenshot seems to save OK, the game doesn't notice that I've done it at all and the mission just keeps asking me to take another.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
How do you dive in water on PSVR? I haven’t played this game in like 3 years and I’m trying to do the obvious “ease you into this very different and new game” missions.

I’m trying to do the one that has the blue watery icon where you have to go to a ship that’s underwater. Took me a long time to get all the extra cold weather and breathing time upgrades crafted. Is it less difficult to dive outside of VR? I just can’t figure it out.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

inkmoth posted:

Yeah, this is what I've tried. Unfortunately, the mission never seems to complete for me. I've tried both a "photo a terrestrial animal" mission and a "photo a toxic planet" mission, each separately. Unfortunately, while the screenshot seems to save OK, the game doesn't notice that I've done it at all and the mission just keeps asking me to take another.

You have to take a photo IN PHOTO MODE, not just a screenshot. I'm not sure about Xbox, but on steam it's the difference between hitting F12 vs entering photo mode and clicking the mouse button.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

blarzgh posted:

Edit: The reason you must have a MANUAL save before the warp is because the game will create an autosave when you land in the Freighter's Hangar and get out to talk to the Captain. At that point, without a manual backup to return to, before the warp and battle, you're stuck with the ship you landed in, and, in particular, its Class and Slots.
This last bit is actually not correct.
You can get out of your ship on the freighter after the battle and it will not auto save. This might be true for any freighter not owned by the player, but I'm not 100% sure.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

inkmoth posted:

It's also worth nothing that if you have the "take a photo of an Ancient Ruin" one, Ancient Ruin does not mean what you think it means. It doesn't refer to the Ruins where you dig up the artifact chests, it refers to one of the types of monolith.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alpine Mustache posted:

This last bit is actually not correct.
You can get out of your ship on the freighter after the battle and it will not auto save. This might be true for any freighter not owned by the player, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'll test this tonight, because the Mandela effect has me hosed up now

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Finally got to gently caress around with this in VR. It's neat. I like how detailed and spacious the cockpits are, but the UI meters and stuff on foot are a little too big.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I started the game on the Windows Game Pass and now I want to play my Steam copy. When I copy my save over NMS says that the saves aren't compatible. Has anyone here successfully moved their saves over?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is the discord server active or even alive? I tried the !authme command in the waiting area and got nothing. I want to talk to goons about this game, pls help.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually don't know who made the Discord :(

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

uwaeve posted:

Is the discord server active or even alive? I tried the !authme command in the waiting area and got nothing. I want to talk to goons about this game, pls help.

Yeah same. I guess ill just ask in here: i bought an upgrade for my mining lasor but when I hit "Square" button to install the upgrade, my mutlitool doesn't have a space for it to fit in. How do I upgrade my mining lasor? I'm very new to this game but I am liking it a lot - I really can't wait to get the hyperdrive and actually explore the galaxy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not all multitools have enough slots. Just gotta be patient and an alien will probably give you a good free one

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

precision posted:

Not all multitools have enough slots. Just gotta be patient and an alien will probably give you a good free one

Ah ok. I just got to the space station and then landed back on my planet, which i named MIchaeltopia (my name irl is Michael). It's humid and hot, and there are burning rainshowers, but the flora and fauna aren't that interesting and I'd like to find a better base. Will I have the option to move it later once I start exploring the larger galaxy? I tried to like...kinda scan the planet for interesting things by flying upside down in the low atmosphere but clouds covered up much of the view so I couldn't really find a good place. Also, I keep seeing random ships fly around? Are those other players or NPCs? For a long while I thought i was in a remote uninhabited system and it kinda tossed out my immersion. Now I want to find someplace REALLY remote!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Yeah same. I guess ill just ask in here: i bought an upgrade for my mining lasor but when I hit "Square" button to install the upgrade, my mutlitool doesn't have a space for it to fit in. How do I upgrade my mining lasor? I'm very new to this game but I am liking it a lot - I really can't wait to get the hyperdrive and actually explore the galaxy.

You're gonna need a bigger multitool.

Fortunately there should be one where you got your upgrade, in a fancy flip case.

Unfortunately it might be priced higher than you can afford right now. Every star system has its own multitool, and I think a secondary that shows up sometimes in the small bases with a single landing pad.

Fortunately your starting system should have somewhere a planet with bones or scrap, which show up in your visor as yellow dig marks (salvaged data is blue dig marks). If it doesn't have those you can always do archaeology by going to a plaque or ancient ruin and seeking knowledge of the past, then selling what you find there.

Once you have a bigger multitool and can explore the galaxy, it's worth keeping an eye out for A or S-rank multitool scanner upgrades to gigaboost your passive income from scanning new lifeforms.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You can have as many bases rear end you want. Just make sure they all have teleporters so you can warp between them.

As far as I know the ships flying overhead are just window dressing. You can't interact with them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ah ok. I just got to the space station and then landed back on my planet, which i named MIchaeltopia (my name irl is Michael). It's humid and hot, and there are burning rainshowers, but the flora and fauna aren't that interesting and I'd like to find a better base. Will I have the option to move it later once I start exploring the larger galaxy? I tried to like...kinda scan the planet for interesting things by flying upside down in the low atmosphere but clouds covered up much of the view so I couldn't really find a good place. Also, I keep seeing random ships fly around? Are those other players or NPCs? For a long while I thought i was in a remote uninhabited system and it kinda tossed out my immersion. Now I want to find someplace REALLY remote!

1. You can't directly move an existing base but it costs almost nothing to create a new base and you can have your old base packed up and recover all the costs and anything that was stored there.

2. The best way to find stuff on planets is to buy maps from the space station cartographer, he'll have several categories of stuff you can search for. You can't limit him to one planet in the system, though, it could be on any of them.

3. Those are NPCs, player ships will be really obvious but the world is so huge finding them serendipitously almost never happens.

4. There are truly uninhabited systems (no space station, every planet is a wasteland) but I think even there you may see the odd NPC at random.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm about 45 hours in, and did my fourth warp the other day. Made a base at the north pole of a 'beautiful' planet and I feel like I've won the game. It's so serene, there's a fantastic cave nearby to explore, I like the flora and fauna... why would I ever want to leave?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm about 45 hours in, and did my fourth warp the other day. Made a base at the north pole of a 'beautiful' planet and I feel like I've won the game. It's so serene, there's a fantastic cave nearby to explore, I like the flora and fauna... why would I ever want to leave?

Whoa this sounds cool. Are there cool landmarks like volcanoes or even more alien things? What about megafauna/megaflora?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tayter Swift posted:

Obtaining biome resources from other planets for crafting? Ammonia, pyrite, etc.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Whoa this sounds cool. Are there cool landmarks like volcanoes or even more alien things? What about megafauna/megaflora?

I've seen megafauna sometimes, most often on desert biomes. Megaflora often show up on "aberrant" planets orbiting non-yellow stars.

One of the weekend missions combined the two, taming megafauna, and let me tell you it's a real hurdle to try and pitch a tasty treat in the path of something with a frigate-sized turning radius.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Was that the one with the tiny head triceratops? Those guys were awesome. Except when they got mad at me because I accidentally punched one while trying to feed it (VR motion controls are hard)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tayter Swift posted:

You can have as many bases rear end you want. Just make sure they all have teleporters so you can warp between them.

As far as I know the ships flying overhead are just window dressing. You can't interact with them.

You can shoot them if you're in your ship.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Not really, at least on my little slice of heaven.

Glazius posted:

Obtaining biome resources from other planets for crafting? Ammonia, pyrite, etc.

idk man that sounds hard, I kinda just wanna stay here, spend my remaining nanites crafting a blueprint for a comfy rocking chair, destroy my ship and live out my days on the porch.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

why would I ever want to leave?

Because
https://imgur.com/a/q1adUA9

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

haveblue posted:

Was that the one with the tiny head triceratops? Those guys were awesome. Except when they got mad at me because I accidentally punched one while trying to feed it (VR motion controls are hard)

Tiny-head triceratopses were a good one, but they could actually turn in a reasonable distance. More recently there was one with these towering two-legged striders.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Looks like there are derelict ships in space now.

https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/1283749456282890241?s=21

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/1283749456282890241?s=21

The derelict ship frames in space themselves have been there for a while, but yeah, looks like this is the latest in what seems to be Hello Games' thing of just spontaneously dropping an update with zero lead up. I only discovered it about an hour ago when Steam suddenly wanted to download a 5GB update and then I searched and here's the official info page with all the bells and whistles described: https://www.nomanssky.com/desolation-update/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
New update dropped my framerate down to about 10fps on low :( poo poo.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, not just derelict freighters:

Its the "Desolation Update." [url= https://www.nomanssky.com/desolation-update/] Here are some highlights[/url]

quote:

Added a new category of space encounter, the Derelict Freighter. These can be landed on and explored.
Derelict freighters are procedurally generated, with an infinite array of potential layouts. Derelict freighters offer many lucrative rewards:
Valuable items and a large number of nanites.
The opportunity to sell the data logs for nanites or standing.
The ability to use the derelict freighter’s engineering system to extract a piece of the freighter’s technology to fit into your own capital ship.
The ability to use the derelict freighter’s engineering system to generate new inventory slots for your capital ship. Take new expandable bulkheads to the Upgrade Station on your freighter bridge to apply them.

The Upgrade Station on the freighter bridge can be used to recolour your freighter.

You can now upgrade your freighter's storage capacity!

Storage Containers built upon a freighter base now add tabs to the freighter’s inventory page.

Teleporters can now be built aboard Freighter Bases. !!!!!

Added a new item, the Anomaly Detector, occasionally found when mining asteroids. This strange device will help locate an anomalous space object.

Added the ability to add a custom Title to your player name.

New Lighting effects

SIGNIFICANT upgrades and optimizations to combat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bob Socko posted:

Hell yeah. Man, I love Hello Games lol

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Man, the limited inventory is seriously bothering me lol. How do I upgrade it? Are the one-use exosuit upgraders next to the shop guys the only way to do it? Just gotta find a bunch of new space stations and trading posts I guess? also how do i make serious bank, i could sell my salvaged data for a ton but i feel like ill need those

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Inventory management is going to be a thing for awhile. You can buy drop pod coordinates (which always have an exosuit upgrade) that require materials to repair. Every station at the exosuit vendor sells one slot upgrade, and the cost scales up each time you buy one.

A quick enough way to make money early on is to find a planet with either ancient bones or scrap (it'll show these on the planetary scanner) and loot those until you fill up all your space with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Man, the limited inventory is seriously bothering me lol. How do I upgrade it? Are the one-use exosuit upgraders next to the shop guys the only way to do it? Just gotta find a bunch of new space stations and trading posts I guess? also how do i make serious bank, i could sell my salvaged data for a ton but i feel like ill need those

You can find upgrade slots on planets, but they cost materials and are generally more of a pain in the rear end than the stations. Just keep jumping and remember to always hit the station and pick one up and it'll take care of itself slowly.

Making money: Get a bunch of nanites and buy a couple of S-rank scanner upgrades. Those will push payouts from scanning plants or animals into five or six digits a pop. You can also use the various scavenging mechanics (dinosaur bones, machine parts, ancient ruins) because those can drop incredibly valuable items at random.