Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ghostlight posted:

If pictograms threatening death for the opening of a sealed tomb were effective we wouldn't have the field of Egyptology.

This whole discussion reminds me of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, in which the wizards find a boarded-up doorway with a sign saying 'Do not, under any circumstances, open this door' and they immediately open it to see why somebody wanted it shut so badly.

e: wizardsnipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

That seems loving awesome for legit stuff, but seems like it would be a pain in the rear end for spam texts.

MMS are 1-1,5€ each so they never happen(i know it works cause using smileys/unicode will have the sms convert to mms by default and i received some fat fingered messages). There are not many bulk sms services here and those are not that cheap so it's not pursued that much. Email(both conventional and eidas/PEC) and snail mail are the biggest sources of spam messages.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Entropic posted:

the best idea is the "Ray Cats":

I like the idea of an atomic priesthood. Brings to mind "A Canticle For Leibowitz"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One of the enduring Something Awful Forums stories from yesteryear that is burned into my brain is the story of how the UK voice for SMS text-to-speech was Tom Baker, and one goon accidentally hit the wrong contact when sending a message, resulting in his girlfriend's parents being woken up by a very dirty message from Tom Baker.

... I would listen to anything read by Tom Baker, I think.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

u brexit ukip it posted:

This whole discussion reminds me of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, in which the wizards find a boarded-up doorway with a sign saying 'Do not, under any circumstances, open this door' and they immediately open it to see why somebody wanted it shut so badly.

e: wizardsnipe

I mean, how many of us read about the Qin Emperor's tomb full of terracotta soldiers and maps with rivers of mercury and sealed rooms no one has opened because of booby traps and thought, "gently caress YES, I WANT TO GO TO THERE"?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

I like the idea of an atomic priesthood. Brings to mind "A Canticle For Leibowitz"
Goddamn you, I was going to say this. My roommate just got sent that book by his sister, I read it in high school and thought it was amazing.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Darchangel posted:

It actually reminds me of the Foundation series since one of the serials in it dealt with "Technicians" who were taking care of nuclear reactors without really knowing how it all worked, since the knowledge had died out, so they were essentially just priests performing rituals.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
3 months of bothering my boss, my boss's boss, and my boss's boss's boss to clear a path to get me access to our building because I'm a goddamn platform engineer and I need to touch things to do my job, and nothing happens.

30 minutes after whining to a co-worker in an unrelated chat that I'm fed up and willing to play hardball, and I'm on the master list of unlimited approved access.

I knew wearing my K.Flay "Solutions" hoodie was a good move today.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

k flay is good poo poo

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got dragged in to a call right after lunch for a P1 incident, 1/3 of the company had their samaccountname changed inadvertently. Our user provisioning/access person was setting up Workday import to our prod Okta tenant. Apparently when you add another provisioning source, Okta will flip attribute mappings to AD to all “create and update,” instead of on create only like we had set for samaccountname. Since 1/3 of our users had our legacy username format, well...

Thank god we had an HRIS export with the old samaccountname that we could run a script against to revert! I’m glad I’ve been pushing for us to use UPN/email for nameid in all of our SaaS apps since I’ve been here, otherwise it could have been much, much worse.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
That reminds me of a time I was performing an in place upgrade of a NetWare server. It was my first time doing this and this was pre-google so I was basically fumbling along. I’d read the manual and stood on one leg while rubbing my belly with my right hand, but somewhere along the way I forgot to back up the bindery files that hold all account data before wiping the server.

When I did the upgrade and did the data restore from backup there was no bindery. And I was hosed.

Well, I would have been hosed except I had randomly taken print screens of the directory layout including all users and groups a few months earlier.

So I created everything by hand from scratch and it took me all night but I finished with enough time to put out signs saying “due to the upgrade your password was reset. When you log on using the password Password123 you will be prompted for a new password.”

There were a handful of adds/changes/deletes done during my “documentation” capture but I swept this under the rug with a “huh. I don’t know why your account isn’t working. Let’s just recreate it.”

No one ever knew. And I never told.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That must have been a long night. Good times in ConsoleOne.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlowBloke posted:

MMS are 1-1,5€ each so they never happen(i know it works cause using smileys/unicode will have the sms convert to mms by default and i received some fat fingered messages). There are not many bulk sms services here and those are not that cheap so it's not pursued that much. Email(both conventional and eidas/PEC) and snail mail are the biggest sources of spam messages.
Gimme a number and I'll see if I can configure an old free webtext service to send you spam at 3AM every day.

Agrikk posted:

stood on one leg while rubbing my belly with my right hand,
Post-avatar combo FTW.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

devmd01 posted:

Got dragged in to a call right after lunch for a P1 incident, 1/3 of the company had their samaccountname changed inadvertently. Our user provisioning/access person was setting up Workday import to our prod Okta tenant. Apparently when you add another provisioning source, Okta will flip attribute mappings to AD to all “create and update,” instead of on create only like we had set for samaccountname. Since 1/3 of our users had our legacy username format, well...

Thank god we had an HRIS export with the old samaccountname that we could run a script against to revert! I’m glad I’ve been pushing for us to use UPN/email for nameid in all of our SaaS apps since I’ve been here, otherwise it could have been much, much worse.

I had to read that through my fingers :psyduck: Too close to home.

The Fool posted:

k flay is good poo poo

Hell yeah! She puts on a good live show if such things ever happen again. My friend and I bonded over one of her shows after we both moved to Portland, and I had an opportunity to get us meet-n-greet tickets to a show a couple years ago for Xmas :allears:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

3 months of bothering my boss, my boss's boss, and my boss's boss's boss to clear a path to get me access to our building because I'm a goddamn platform engineer and I need to touch things to do my job, and nothing happens.

30 minutes after whining to a co-worker in an unrelated chat that I'm fed up and willing to play hardball, and I'm on the master list of unlimited approved access.

I knew wearing my K.Flay "Solutions" hoodie was a good move today.

Sounds like the same thing I went through. Bugging my boss for months, mostly getting 'I couldn't find the form. The intranet portal is too confusing to use'. I got access 30 minutes after I told my boss that I wouldn't be able to do a 2am Sunday network upgrade as I couldn't get into the building so he would have to come in.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Vodafone in the UK have managed to cause a near universal calling issue.

any call originating from, or terminating at a Vodafone number is likely to fail, and this includes calls for numbers that Vodafone is the range holder from, even if the numbers have been ported out

On the one hand, nearly every one of my customers is inpoerable.
On the other, it's not my fault, or the fault of the vendor we contract.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
At least they can't call you about it, right?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Guy Axlerod posted:

At least they can't call you about it, right?

They'll send loving carrier pigeons with poorly worded complaints in crayon, with the management sending those 'letters cut from a newspaper' style ransom letters.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So, related to the samaccountname disaster on Wednesday, they went live with the cutover of the user provisioning data source yesterday morning. It all went well so everyone’s updated title started flowing through to AD.

I get contacted at around 1:30PM, two of our applications pull data from a separate LDAP server that syncs data from AD and weren’t seeing the new titles.

While there were three overall root causes, one of the main ones was that a VP’s new full title is 68 characters long. The attribute in the LDAP schema was set for max 64 char, so it crashed the ldap sync as soon as it reached that user record.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

devmd01 posted:

So, related to the samaccountname disaster on Wednesday, they went live with the cutover of the user provisioning data source yesterday morning. It all went well so everyone’s updated title started flowing through to AD.

I get contacted at around 1:30PM, two of our applications pull data from a separate LDAP server that syncs data from AD and weren’t seeing the new titles.

While there were three overall root causes, one of the main ones was that a VP’s new full title is 68 characters long. The attribute in the LDAP schema was set for max 64 char, so it crashed the ldap sync as soon as it reached that user record.

do you work at a bank? because thats some insane title bloat

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Isn't there a theory that the longer your job title is, the less use you are to the company?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Moo the cow posted:

Isn't there a theory that the longer your job title is, the less use you are to the company?

At one point I considered changing my e-mail signature from "Systems Engineering - Linux" with all the other stuff to something parodying titles from fantasy novels like "Lord of the Seven Servers, Defender of the Firewall of Palo Alto, Bearer of the Sudo Privileges of the Thousand Commands" but I decided it actually wasn't funny at all and so I didn't.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

shortspecialbus posted:

At one point I considered changing my e-mail signature from "Systems Engineering - Linux" with all the other stuff to something parodying titles from fantasy novels like "Lord of the Seven Servers, Defender of the Firewall of Palo Alto, Bearer of the Sudo Privileges of the Thousand Commands" but I decided it actually wasn't funny at all and so I didn't.

I extracted a promise from my boss once upon a time that I can put Regex Master on my business cards whenever I decided I wanted some.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nth Doctor posted:

I extracted a promise from my boss once upon a time that I can put Regex Master on my business cards whenever I decided I wanted some.

I just want "guru"

that when they come looking for the rear end in a top hat who took down the network I can just pretend I am there to meditate

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
My real job title at :yayclod: is Client Platform Engineer

My job title at the record label I co-own is Technomancer

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I just want "guru"

that when they come looking for the rear end in a top hat who took down the network I can just pretend I am there to meditate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru_Meditation

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I just think of myself as Code Monkey. I might even be a good one, but evidence is slim.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

As in the song or tv show?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

As in the song or tv show?

Why not both? It was the theme song, after all! :v:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Lol no

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm sorry Iol what

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

blackswordca posted:

Sounds like the same thing I went through. Bugging my boss for months, mostly getting 'I couldn't find the form. The intranet portal is too confusing to use'. I got access 30 minutes after I told my boss that I wouldn't be able to do a 2am Sunday network upgrade as I couldn't get into the building so he would have to come in.

At my last place, when I was promoted to computer-toucher, my supervisor was super hesitant to give me a) Admin access to our Records Management System and b) VPN access.

I finally convinced him that I wasn't going to start disabling accounts, deleting records, or god knows what to the software and got the Admin access I needed. But he still balked at the idea of getting me a laptop and vpn access.

Our records system automatically assigned case numbers with the year, a hyphen, and then a 5 digit sequential number. The system was supposed to roll over at midnight on New Years with the new year and number 00001.

At 12:05 am on New Years Eve, I got a call from the dispatcher that the rollover didn't happen. I knew exactly what the problem was. I knew exactly where to go in the software to find the settings. And I knew exactly how to fix the problem. Only problem was - I didn't have remote access AND I'd been drinking all night, so I couldn't drive into the office to fix it. So they had to call my supervisor to fix it.

By January 6th, I had a brand new laptop and vpn access.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I love it when reality kicks management in the crotch.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Potato Salad posted:

I'm sorry Iol what

I couldn't possibly fully explain this guy here, but he's faculty, he's insufferable, and he's a constant pain in my rear end. He's been here, like, all of two months (he worked here for years and years previously, left, and then came back), and he's immediately tried to do my job (calling vendors, getting quotes, attempting to submit requisitions, installing software, etc...) at every turn. I came in one day to find he had installed his own network in parallel to the school's in his office and he was mad I forced him to take it all down.

The "IT Request" he is mentioning is a list of 73 tasks organized by location that he wants completed by the end of summer, which includes such trivial tasks as "replace all projectors with better projectors" and "install 2020 versions of software they stopped making 15 years ago" and "swap all computers in these two classrooms, even though they have the exact number of the exact same type of computer."

I will not be completing these tasks. I will not be giving you admin access to anything you indescribable twat. My last day is next Tuesday. I am out of town until this Friday. I will have one day left on campus and that will be spent clearing out my office and wiping any evidence of my existence from this godforsaken state.

Best of luck, fucko.

PS: Job interview in about an hour and a half. wish me luck or something.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Good luck! I've been following your saga for years. I wish you the most boring job you can imagine. Just out the door every day at 5, enjoying the rest of the evening. No reason to post here ever again.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Good luck Larches!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good luck!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Break a leg, Larches. Take what you can. Give nothing back.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
You can do it Larches! If anyone at the interview asks you're moving to make a change and wish the old employer well, they deserve all the trash talk possible but don't drop that stuff during an interview!

Ask me how I know this

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

larchesdanrew posted:

Dude you got this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I couldn't possibly fully explain this guy here, but he's faculty, he's insufferable, and he's a constant pain in my rear end. He's been here, like, all of two months (he worked here for years and years previously, left, and then came back), and he's immediately tried to do my job (calling vendors, getting quotes, attempting to submit requisitions, installing software, etc...) at every turn. I came in one day to find he had installed his own network in parallel to the school's in his office and he was mad I forced him to take it all down.

The "IT Request" he is mentioning is a list of 73 tasks organized by location that he wants completed by the end of summer, which includes such trivial tasks as "replace all projectors with better projectors" and "install 2020 versions of software they stopped making 15 years ago" and "swap all computers in these two classrooms, even though they have the exact number of the exact same type of computer."

I will not be completing these tasks. I will not be giving you admin access to anything you indescribable twat. My last day is next Tuesday. I am out of town until this Friday. I will have one day left on campus and that will be spent clearing out my office and wiping any evidence of my existence from this godforsaken state.

Best of luck, fucko.

To top it off, he's also in academia, and still can't use apostrophe-S properly.
Good luck!