Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I never got the chance to play the first game, what was the deal with the cards? How did you get them, were they limited use? I'd be open to a game type with those thrown in to spice stuff up a bit but I think the purity of TF2 is what makes it so enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There's no progression carry over from other platforms is there? I prestiged 5 or 6 times on the PS4 version of Titanfall 2 which I had never even done once in any other game, sorta tempted to get in on the PC version cause I assume the PS4 player base is probably pretty small now. Not sure if I'd want to unlock everything again though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Blind Duke posted:

The first game had a buncha mechanics that allowed those bad at shooters to do well. From the smart pistol to being able to contribute by farming grunts to titan shields regenerating. It's an element that should be maintained in any future entry in the series. Let everything you do feel incredibly cool, even if you are not the best at the game. Then have a high skill ceiling above that with movement tricks and keeping a bead on targets while everyone is flipping around the place.

I think this is the main issue I was having. Starting out I felt like a grunt, dying constantly to people i couldn't see, flubbing parkour poo poo, being generally worthless. It's really demoralizing when you can't seem to get on your feet due to how there are 6 year vets just brutalizing entire teams solo while never touching the ground.

I've gotten better, and even started feeling awesome even if I'm not doing the best, but god drat I almost quit a few times.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Mechanics to help people that are bad at shooters tend to back-fire, either they annoy the gently caress out of veteran players enough to lower retention or it's a mechanic experienced players can abuse even more effectively.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Beef posted:

Mechanics to help people that are bad at shooters tend to back-fire, either they annoy the gently caress out of veteran players enough to lower retention or it's a mechanic experienced players can abuse even more effectively.

Not really talking about that, more things to help people new to this insane lightning speed wall running robot shooter that is unlike anything else they've played before feel useful or feel like they have a reason for playing if they aren't no scoping people while going 400 km per hour on a grappling hook

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

sigher posted:

The Smart Pistol should never make a return.

Smart pistol is cool as hell, and really fun to use on the grunts.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Smart pistol owns when you get it in the campaign because of how ludicrous it is

It never should have been in the first game in the first place and was such a point of contention I wouldn't be surprised if it actually contributed, if not directly then as a symbol of poor design, to the game's poor retention

If you put a mechanic in a game that lets a bad player yeet good players out of nowhere, good players are just going to abuse it even harder

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I think this is the main issue I was having. Starting out I felt like a grunt, dying constantly to people i couldn't see, flubbing parkour poo poo, being generally worthless. It's really demoralizing when you can't seem to get on your feet due to how there are 6 year vets just brutalizing entire teams solo while never touching the ground.

I've gotten better, and even started feeling awesome even if I'm not doing the best, but god drat I almost quit a few times.

I played a ton at launch (I was never like... good but I could at least hold my own) and then dropped it and jumped back in when Apex launched and gave Titanfall a small player boost and it was absolutely brutal. There's definitely a hump you just have to get over with games that A) have a high skill ceiling like this and B) never really completely died so there's still incredibly talented people who have been honing their skills for half a decade. I absolutely love this game but tbh if I come back now I'm gonna be in for the same "Why the gently caress am I playing this" thing you went through. The best solution is grouping up, teamwork can be really OP in this game even against insane 10,000 mph sweatgods

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Yeah smart pistol could stay if it's can only be used against grunts and not players/pilots.

If you're not caught unaware it's not impossible to outgun the smart pistol. It's just doubly annoying to get killed by one.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I never once felt bad getting killed by a smart pistol. It takes so long to lock on, the ttk is so low in general that every other gun can kill them before they kill you if you're quick enough. Plus deaths don't really matter that much. It's really hard for me to get salty in this game cause of how smooth it is. you just pop right back in!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Just a point of nostalgia here, but does anyone remember the reveal trailer for Titanfall 1 and just how amazing it was? It changed the FPS landscape just like COD did (suddenly everyone was adding wall-running and extra movement options) but just showing raw gameplay and the part where you see the player climb onto a titan, rip off the hatch, shoot the hell out of the insides and then rocket into the air was insane. That has to be one of the best trailers I've ever seen for a game and it was pure gameplay with no downgrades come release at all. I feel a bigger deal should have been made about that and just how well executed it was.

I didn't have an Xbox because of all the bad press but drat was I jealous of Xbox owners at the time and for a long time after. I eventually got the game running on PC (poor specs) and using a controller (surprisingly managed to do well?!) but drat, that trailer was something special.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Beet Wagon posted:

I played a ton at launch (I was never like... good but I could at least hold my own) and then dropped it and jumped back in when Apex launched and gave Titanfall a small player boost and it was absolutely brutal. There's definitely a hump you just have to get over with games that A) have a high skill ceiling like this and B) never really completely died so there's still incredibly talented people who have been honing their skills for half a decade.

I think for a lot of people there's also a hard adjustment in games like Titanfall compared to games like Overwatch which extremely aggressively match-make games to be as close to evenly 50:50 as possible.

Also due to so many modern games being so easy to pick up, with new players able to pres butan get kill with their hero abilities or whatever, running into something like Titanfall which plays more like old arena shooters can feel extremely bad; just look at the posts in this thread about how discouraging doing bad for 15 games is, when in reality 15 games is jack fuckin poo poo in terms of how long it takes to adjust to something truly new.

The fast TTK in this game imo actually helps new players once they begin to get a basic grasp on the movement, as even the sweatiest turbonerd gets popped instantly if you can land your shots on him.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

It helps to go into the game with zero expectation of winning and with a focus on enjoying the moment. Score matters not, just shoot the mans and drop the stompy robots down from orbit!

I am loving terrible at PvP in general and Attrition/TTDM are still fun as gently caress because nothing matters, shoot mans, get shot, you make progress from just playing the game even if you loving suck.

This game is just so much goddamn fun and worth the day spent downloading it again.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Attrition is all I play. :shrug:

Just give me back AI mobs in Hardpoint... :negative:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah I am finding that the core gameplay is fun enough that it's not really being offset by how bad I'm doing still. There are some games where I just hit my stride and do pretty drat well, and there was even 1 or 2 last night where I've managed to hit the top of my team scoreboard. It's just a huge adjustment and luckily the game is fun enough that it doesn't really matter!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah I am finding that the core gameplay is fun enough that it's not really being offset by how bad I'm doing still. There are some games where I just hit my stride and do pretty drat well, and there was even 1 or 2 last night where I've managed to hit the top of my team scoreboard. It's just a huge adjustment and luckily the game is fun enough that it doesn't really matter!

It's a breath of fresh air compared to Destiny 2. If I want mindless, easy shootmans, Frontier Defense. If I wanna test my skillz, PvP. No grind, no bullshit, just drat good gunplay and fun abilities with big stompy robots.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I never got the chance to play the first game, what was the deal with the cards? How did you get them, were they limited use? I'd be open to a game type with those thrown in to spice stuff up a bit but I think the purity of TF2 is what makes it so enjoyable.

I believe they were earned from leveling up and doled out randomly, so you never really knew what you were going to get. Some of them were pretty cool but some just changed poo poo up a lot like spawning in with a Titan, I don't think there was a limit to them either so you could start a match and the other Team would all be in Titans right off the cuff. The best one would change you into a Spectre for the round (maybe it was just that life). I hated it because it was random what you had and other players could easily just have better poo poo than you.

SUNKOS posted:

Just a point of nostalgia here, but does anyone remember the reveal trailer for Titanfall 1 and just how amazing it was? It changed the FPS landscape just like COD did (suddenly everyone was adding wall-running and extra movement options) but just showing raw gameplay and the part where you see the player climb onto a titan, rip off the hatch, shoot the hell out of the insides and then rocket into the air was insane. That has to be one of the best trailers I've ever seen for a game and it was pure gameplay with no downgrades come release at all. I feel a bigger deal should have been made about that and just how well executed it was.

I didn't have an Xbox because of all the bad press but drat was I jealous of Xbox owners at the time and for a long time after. I eventually got the game running on PC (poor specs) and using a controller (surprisingly managed to do well?!) but drat, that trailer was something special.

I remember those first trailers and how everyone in the office I was in went crazy for it (those that play games), it was dope as hell.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You’d get them like constantly and they had various rarities like magic cards or whatever. You could use them I think before a match or maybe on deaths, but they were each one time use. I mostly just didn’t use them and maybe only used one or two of the rarer ones because of that rpg item hoarding mentality. Brains are weird.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

You’d get them like constantly and they had various rarities like magic cards or whatever. You could use them I think before a match or maybe on deaths, but they were each one time use. I mostly just didn’t use them and maybe only used one or two of the rarer ones because of that rpg item hoarding mentality. Brains are weird.

i've got 99 inventory slots and an elixir in every one

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stan Taylor posted:

you got them so fast it was actually problematic, if you were over 100 cards or whatever then you couldn't specifically pick the cards and they were randomly selected for you.

basically, the best approach was to sell the random low-value cards for credits for forged certifications to unlock prestige challenges that you don't like, and then just use the high-value ones fairly freely.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
There were also some really cool burn cards like instant titan, permanent stim, permanent batman vision, and one that turned you into a bot.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Just reinstalled and have been playing again and one thing that I had missed about this game is how people say GG at the end of a match. :3:

Also for you long timers- what’s the current Titan hotness? I feel like I’m addicted to Scorch but I also feel like it’s been nerfed a bit in MP.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I see a lot of Monarchs, Ions and Tones.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Just reinstalled and have been playing again and one thing that I had missed about this game is how people say GG at the end of a match. :3:

Also for you long timers- what’s the current Titan hotness? I feel like I’m addicted to Scorch but I also feel like it’s been nerfed a bit in MP.

Which Titan do you like best? That one is the current hotness.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
how do I maximize FAST

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gamerofthegame posted:

how do I maximize FAST

Learn to bunnyhop and grapplefling, then play Ronin or Monarch. The latter can, if you manage your rearms right, always be boosting.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
lol the new players on PC have been DELICIOUS :getin:

https://i.imgur.com/Kj3ZMlw.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/lVJeDjU.gifv

also I rarely use trip wires so I was surprised that this happened today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njR-e8GL9sY

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I always liked this Titanfall live action short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic0lWwZ8Q8U

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Wazzit posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Kj3ZMlw.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/lVJeDjU.gifv

also I rarely use trip wires so I was surprised that this happened today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njR-e8GL9sY

Enjoy it while you can!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Their live action stuff is cool as hell. It reminds me of like... I wanna say it was Halo 3 they did a couple live-action shorts for and everybody was just screaming "Halo movie! Halo movie! Make us a Halo movie!" lol. I've always felt that way about Titanfall.

e: this did remind me of the goofy rewrite of "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" they did for the launch trailer though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSIGFWbEj5U

quote:

Bang bang, they shot them down / Bang bang, they hit the ground / Bang bang, they torched the rest / Bang bang, with lasers from their chest

Really great stuff lmao

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 23, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There were also some really cool burn cards like instant titan, permanent stim, permanent batman vision, and one that turned you into a bot.

It was also really awesome when you killed someone using one of those cards because you'd get the shutdown talk but you'd be notified of the ultra rare burn card they had being gone because you nabbed them so it was kinda like they had a bounty on their head you just claimed or something, making it extra satisfying to get that kill.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I'm enjoying all the stubborn steam gamers finally getting this and getting rocked by people who have been waiting for years for a real player base.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Daztek posted:

the best part is that you watch it and think god drat that's badass the game must be intense, and it is, so much so in fact the actual game makes the action in that short look slow af

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Wheeee posted:

the best part is that you watch it and think god drat that's badass the game must be intense, and it is, so much so in fact the actual game makes the action in that short look slow af

Titanfall is the only game Ive ever played where the actual game was more intense and cinematic than the trailers

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I've noticed a sharp uptick in the amount of one sided buttfuck stomps during daytime hours. Playing the past few nights, I've been seeing close to a 50% win rate, with myself doing decently well. During the day though, nearly every game is 650/200, with people getting kills in the high 20s and me never seeing who shoots me due to their speed. Almost as if the evening is when most normal people have time to play.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

It's like that in most games, during the day is when all the college kids or just unemployed people who have gobs of time and play way the gently caress more than you are the only ones playing, then evening rolls around and all the more casual scrubs start logging in to decompress from work or their actually full course load.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I wish these games had full bot support. I loved TF1 and it’s dead and I won’t buy TF2 because it’ll just happen there too eventually.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

chaosapiant posted:

I wish these games had full bot support. I loved TF1 and it’s dead and I won’t buy TF2 because it’ll just happen there too eventually.

It has a pretty good campaign if you haven't played that yet it's worth the $20 easily.

Wazzit posted:

I started up a game the other day and in the first ten second got a triple kill. Also titan fights are incredible now that there's new blood. I can just stay alive and take out like four titans on one drop like it's nothing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

chaosapiant posted:

Why didn't you buy it years ago? :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah it's happened like twice already lol