Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Antonymous posted:

:words: about stage/film lighting.

Has the LED revolution started to make any inroads into that field? I know in reef aquaria, LED lighting has all but completely replaced metal halide lighting, even for extreme intensity applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It has in the rest of the world but given the electrical curses in that post I'm not sure the US will get there without burning down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nenonen posted:

Practise 'floor is lava' at all times and you will be prepared!

http://thepigeongazette.tumblr.com/post/167664832194/this-is-either-the-dumbest-thing-ive-ever-made-or

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evilreaver posted:

I am viscerally terrified of bees -- intellectually I know they are chill and will leave you alone, but if I see one flying around I go straight to panic.

I watched this whole video attempting a sort of safe exposure therapy. Welp that didn't work, now I itch all over and am shaking with adrenaline. At least now I'm awake!

Bees don’t bother me at all when they’re going about their business, even in great numbers, but that video is horrifying.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

:stare:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Bees don’t bother me at all when they’re going about their business, even in great numbers, but that video is horrifying.

yeah bee attacks are no joke as they instinctively know to string you around the eyes. The stings also embed themselves into your skins and sort of saw their way into you with barbs. Bad news.

Mostly you can hear when a hive is about to get mad, they'll go from a low hum to a slightly louder higher pitched hum when they're getting angry. Bees make a lot more sense once you start treating a colony as an entity and not the individual bees.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is that a bulletproof windshield? The seam in the middle makes me think yes. Which just raises more questions about what happened there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What am I looking at here? The front of that vehicle doesn’t make sense to my brain.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is that a bulletproof windshield? The seam in the middle makes me think yes. Which just raises more questions about what happened there.

The clutch is just slipping a little.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Oh poo poo, that is coming OUT rather than in.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cyrano4747 posted:

What am I looking at here? The front of that vehicle doesn’t make sense to my brain.

I think it's a truck like this
that has been hot-rodded to have a front end similar to this:

edit: Similar to this maybe:

I don't know how many cars came with split windows, but they aren't totally uncommon on older trucks. But long story short I'd wager it's definitely a split window hot rod.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 22, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Oh poo poo, that is coming OUT rather than in.

:aaaaa:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Kith posted:

I don't get the reference. :(

He's a YouTuber who makes "talking hands" style videos of upgrading his RC car. Down to machining (functional!) little 1/10th scale brake rotors.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

definitely let the clutch out too fast on that hotrod

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Aramoro posted:

Yeah this is something you learn about when you take up beekeeping. Step 1 is requeening the hive and see if that fixes it but if not you just have to destroy the hive. Normally you have to wear the bee suit to prevent accidental strings but when they're flying at your face and bouncing off the mask then it's really hard to work. There will be 50,000-60,000 bees in a hive and once they drop the alarm signal and start stinging more and more bees will come at you.

Since they can only sting once doesn't that kind of destroy the hive any way? Once the worker population's gone full kamikaze on you what's left to feed the brood?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Most bees can sting more than once.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Playing too much Starsiege Tribes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Most bees can sting more than once.

Most bee species. Not Western honeybees or africanized variants. They can get a miss where the barbs don't stick and the stinger then doesn't pull out of the abdomen but that's a bug.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Phanatic posted:

but that's a bug.

:nice:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Since they can only sting once doesn't that kind of destroy the hive any way? Once the worker population's gone full kamikaze on you what's left to feed the brood?

Not really, a bad bee attack they might sting you what 500 times and you're probably having a bad time. The queen can lay 1000-1500 new bees every day. After the bees hatch for the first couple of weeks they'll exclusively stay in the hive, cleaning, feeding, drying honey etc these are called House Bees. After that they'll start flying outside to forage and then older again bees are the ones can can make wax for building. So out of a hive of 60,000 bees about 1/3rd or 20,000 will be foraging for water, nectar and propolis with a portion of the foragers guarding the hive. Active guards you've probably got a few dozen depending on the threats that have been around but once those guards have been alerted other foragers will join in. So of that 20,000 bees you'll probably only get attacked by maybe a couple of thousand as the other will be out foraging and no where near. All they're trying to do is drive you off so once you start to leave they;ll stop attacking you. For me if the hive is upset at an inspection going 6ft away is enough to stop them attacking.

Bees can only really string mammals once, the modified ovipositor used for stinging developed to work its way through thick mammal skin with alternating barbs which is why it kills the bee to do it. I think this applies to all honeybees, not just western ones. Asian honeybees do have a lot of differences but not sure that's one.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 22, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Aramoro posted:

Not really, a bad bee attack they might sting you what 500 times and you're probably having a bad time. The queen can lay 1000-1500 new bees every day. After the bees hatch for the first couple of weeks they'll exclusively stay in the hive, cleaning, feeding, drying honey etc these are called House Bees. After that they'll start flying outside to forage and then older again bees are the ones can can make wax for building. So out of a hive of 60,000 bees about 1/3rd or 20,000 will be foraging for water, nectar and propolis with a portion of the foragers guarding the hive. Active guards you've probably got a few dozen depending on the threats that have been around but once those guards have been alerted other foragers will join in. So of that 20,000 bees you'll probably only get attacked by maybe a couple of thousand as the other will be out foraging and no where near. All they're trying to do is drive you off so once you start to leave they;ll stop attacking you. For me if the hive is upset at an inspection going 6ft away is enough to stop them attacking.

Bees can only really string mammals once, the modified ovipositor used for stinging developed to work its way through thick mammal skin with alternating barbs which is why it kills the bee to do it. I think this applies to all honeybees, not just western ones. Asian honeybees do have a lot of differences but not sure that's one.

This is not a particularly reassuring statement.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Moo the cow posted:

This is not a particularly reassuring statement.

Oh no it's definitely super bad for you. But for normal honey bees (Apis Mellifera here) if I went and stood 6ft from the hive no issues. if I stood a foot from the hive might attract some interest. If I put my finger into the entrance I'd get a couple of stings and more guards would come out to see what the gently caress. If I didn't move away it would escalate. If I opened the hive and started to mess with it all bets are off and it's a bad time. The attacks start small and snowball. The problem with those bees is they go straight to 100 for even being close to the hive. Way way too aggressive.

Its why you need extensive public liability insurance and training for keeping beehives on public land. Not because they're particularly dangerous but people will go and gently caress with them, hitting them, kicking them over trying to open them up and that usually involves a trip to hospital unless it's a very cold day.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Aramoro posted:

Oh no it's definitely super bad for you. But for normal honey bees (Apis Mellifera here) if I went and stood 6ft from the hive no issues. if I stood a foot from the hive might attract some interest. If I put my finger into the entrance I'd get a couple of stings and more guards would come out to see what the gently caress. If I didn't move away it would escalate. If I opened the hive and started to mess with it all bets are off and it's a bad time. The attacks start small and snowball. The problem with those bees is they go straight to 100 for even being close to the hive. Way way too aggressive.

Its why you need extensive public liability insurance and training for keeping beehives on public land. Not because they're particularly dangerous but people will go and gently caress with them, hitting them, kicking them over trying to open them up and that usually involves a trip to hospital unless it's a very cold day.

Your posts are genuinely fascinating.

Have you ever experience aggression like in that video?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Moo the cow posted:

Your posts are genuinely fascinating.

Have you ever experience aggression like in that video?

Nothing like that. The aggression goes up and down through the year, as they have more stores in the hive they tend to be more aggressive as they have something to defend. A swarm is the opposite end of that, they have nothing to defend so just don't attack people. I've had what we would call an aggressive hive and at it's worst when I've bumped the hive or set a frame down into it too hard I've had a bunch of bees flying up into my face but manageable. Until that time they got into my suit and stung me on the temple, which sucked a lot.

If you move slowly and calmly usually you wont upset them too much. Smoke can help as they run away from it to eat as much honey as they can because they think they're about to evacuate. That does kinda stress the hive though so I tend not to use much smoke. If you follow the guidelines it's pretty safe generally.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aramoro posted:

Not because they're particularly dangerous but people will go and gently caress with them, hitting them, kicking them over trying to open them up and that usually involves a trip to hospital unless it's a very cold day.

loving hell. This shouldn't surprise me, and yet it does.

Alternatively https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liiVX55tJ7E

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Not really, a bad bee attack they might sting you what 500 times and you're probably having a bad time.

So the thousands of bees attacking that guy nonstop are for the most part, not stinging? I figured that if one's landing on the guy it's there to sting. I also guess that maybe the barbs don't catch in beekeeper suits.

Don't they secrete a pheromone that says "Come here and sting this guy?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phanatic posted:

So the thousands of bees attacking that guy nonstop are for the most part, not stinging? I figured that if one's landing on the guy it's there to sting. I also guess that maybe the barbs don't catch in beekeeper suits.

Don't they secrete a pheromone that says "Come here and sting this guy?

A lot of them are trying to but failing, they're looking for where to sting, usually around the eyes which is why they're flying at his face, some will try to go up the inside of the trouser legs, into sleeves etc. They'll usually not sting unless they're going to hit flesh. They are sending out pheromones to attack but not all will be able to sting you for various reasons. Normally someone would run away and they'd stop.

That video is an especially bad example, that's way way more extreme than you're ever likely to see. They've started stinging so it's just snowballing like you see there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you want an OSHA-laden show to watch, try Canada's Worst Handyman. It's a show where they take people who are extremely bad at DIY and home repairs (either because they're scared to learn how to be self-sufficient or they think they're amazing but are actually incompetent and dangerous) and have them try to complete basic home renovation and repair challenges as you marvel at how bad they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6B5csEH3I

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want an OSHA-laden show to watch, try Canada's Worst Handyman. It's a show where they take people who are extremely bad at DIY and home repairs (either because they're scared to learn how to be self-sufficient or they think they're amazing but are actually incompetent and dangerous) and have them try to complete basic home renovation and repair challenges as you marvel at how bad they are.

That show is fascinating and terrifying at the same time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What a phrase

quote:

1981: Violations of radiation safety while studying the use the Chernobyl lake-cooler for industrial fishery purposes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

"I'm going to beat this off"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah CWH is delightful, in that they are always provided with very clear instructions and often a lesson beforehand, and are usually still hopeless.

Worst Driver is decent too, though lots of countries have their own flavor of those.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We had a discussion of how terrifying the US electrical system apparently is, and the guy at Technology Connections made a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmUoZh3Hq4

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:stare:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Aramoro posted:

That video is an especially bad example, that's way way more extreme than you're ever likely to see. They've started stinging so it's just snowballing like you see there.

I love this one because you can hear the wasps hitting the microphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tGTcAVW0A

Ain't no sting aversion in those fuckers.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I do not like that electrical panel at all. Also, I didn't see an RCCB on there. Are they installed elsewhere?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrYenko posted:

Has the LED revolution started to make any inroads into that field? I know in reef aquaria, LED lighting has all but completely replaced metal halide lighting, even for extreme intensity applications.

From my experience with concert and stage lighting, it's happening, but there's still a lot of hold outs. Every year I've been seeing more and more LEDs replacing old style light roles, along with some novel LED lights in new roles.

Stage lights aren't cheap, so existing lights aren't getting switched out unless there's a good reason. We're gonna be seeing the army of existing source 4s around in the theater forever, while some concerts are completely LED + moving light based. I haven't seen any LED based 4ks or followspots, that role of loving huge bright light is still exclusive to legacy systems in my experience. From my very limited movie experience, they're still ruled by older tech.

It's so much nicer to run power for LED systems. Lighter and fewer cables is easier on my back and arms.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah CWH is delightful, in that they are always provided with very clear instructions and often a lesson beforehand, and are usually still hopeless.

Worst Driver is decent too, though lots of countries have their own flavor of those.

The Dutch version of Worst Driver actually had what I think is the only serious injury!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvckBJP8QPU

This is a shoulder check challenge. You drive toward a wall and turn around to look at the signs indicating which way to go around the wall. When confronted by choice, he instead closes his eyes, slams on the gas (mistaking it for the brake), and turns the wheel to the right as hard as possible until he runs over the host and a cameraman and crashes into a staff car!

These shows are amazing but also terrifying for showing you just how many drivers are out there who are insanely dangerous at the wheel despite getting a license. Ever wonder why you'll be driving down the highway and encounter someone who somehow had a rollover crash on a straightaway on a sunny day without traffic? Because there are people who, when something mildly unexpected happens, react like this.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Did somebody say legacy spot light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I've run a spotlight version of one of those. One of the most professionally exciting evenings I've ever had. The autofeed was broken so I had to continuously turn the manual override knob for 2 hours to keep feeding more rod while watching and maintaining the arc and spotting people on stage.