Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

LLSix posted:

I keep getting stuck in trees and assorted clutter. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't keep happening while I was trying to get to my body and so don't have my chainsaw and explosives on me.

They really need to fix that. I'm astonished there aren't more negative reviews just because of it. It happens to me at least once an hour.

Have you tried Crouching? C is the default for that. It gets me unstuck every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cojawfee posted:

How are you getting stuck?

Usually while trying to jump up a slight rise I slide back and collide with a tree or something and then can't move anymore.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

LLSix posted:

I keep getting stuck in trees and assorted clutter. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't keep happening while I was trying to get to my body and so don't have my chainsaw and explosives on me.

They really need to fix that. I'm astonished there aren't more negative reviews just because of it. It happens to me at least once an hour.

Try crouching/sliding. That always got me loose from the stuff jumping wouldn't.

Also for folks talking about trucks, there's "roads" on the map that are already pretty clear and navigable by truck; you don't really need to build em special foundation-roads instead of using existing paths if you're careful to place your stations in places accessible by the existing paths. Some of the paths are a little rough but that's nothing a chainsaw rampage along the edges won't fix. For most stuff trucks still aren't great but for resources you're only using in small amounts (like sulfur & quartz for most of the game) it's fine to bring that stuff in by truck on the "natural roads."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can't believe I waited til halfway through Tier 6 before I put together a Caterium setup, the Blade Runners are such a game-changer :smithicide:

I set it up pretty well though, it's kind of neat to see 6 Smelters chugging along off 1 node!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well I got the compacted coal outpost for my planned power plant up and running.

Now to spend hours actually building the power plant.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Are fuel generators a massive bump up from coal generators? My initial setup to get going off an oil node is 2x plastic and 1x rubber (it's a pure node so I have room for like 6 more refineries or something like that), and the waste from those 3 is exactly enough to feed into another refinery and output enough of the low-grade coal to run 4 coal generators. The oil node is right on the beach too, so it's actually easier to run water lines at my oil outpost than back at my main base (I stupidly built my generators right on the edge of poison gas columns).

At the very least, it seems like a nice quick way to get an oil outpost to be totally self-sufficient.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 22, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well one fuel generator does a max of 150MWh but I'm not clear on it's max fuel consumption rate. For how expensive they are to put down, I hope they're more efficient then coal generators running petro coke.

I'm curious, is the game smart enough to prioritize where it pulls power from? or does it just do it universally? With something like a refinery that sends bi-product to power, I feel like low demand could lead to a back-up. (Or alternatively, a backup of product could lead to a drop in power)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Coke helps you bootstrap power for your oil, yeah, but a few rungs up the ladder past fuel gen you need coke for aluminum.

There's some pretty fancy routing you can do with alt recipes to get excess plastic and/or rubber from a fuel focused oil set up. But I just go to a different oil node and make it the fuel power node for the moment and it only makes fuel and trashed anything I can't convert to fuel yet. And then you can claim the coke for aluminum and start planning out turbofuel or the things that spit out the excess rubber and plastic when your fuel gens are under capacity. Again the end game is to mix coal and fuel for turbofuel for maximum efficiency fuel energy content.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Well one fuel generator does a max of 150MWh but I'm not clear on it's max fuel consumption rate. For how expensive they are to put down, I hope they're more efficient then coal generators running petro coke.

I'm curious, is the game smart enough to prioritize where it pulls power from? or does it just do it universally? With something like a refinery that sends bi-product to power, I feel like low demand could lead to a back-up. (Or alternatively, a backup of product could lead to a drop in power)

TBH I haven't checked, I got lazy and since the refinery puts out 120 petro coke/min, and 4 generators eat a total of 100/min, I just ran a splitter directly into an awesome sink for the remainder.

It seems the game is fairly smart about that sort of thing from what I've seen - when I added coal generators #9-10 in my main base, I realized I split the water pipes really haphazardly and was basically supplying 360 water/min's worth of generators with a single, 300/min-limited pipe from the source, split into 8, but I never, ever ran into water supply issues on any generators.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I use a pure turbofuel setup for my factory. I don't use fuel for anything, and it works well.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It seems the game is fairly smart about that sort of thing from what I've seen - when I added coal generators #9-10 in my main base, I realized I split the water pipes really haphazardly and was basically supplying 360 water/min's worth of generators with a single, 300/min-limited pipe from the source, split into 8, but I never, ever ran into water supply issues on any generators.

If you don't use all power, generators use fewer ressources.
You really just where lucky that your power usage never went above 80% long enough for the buffers in the buildings to run out.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

my favorite part of survival games like conan exiles is the production--making iron to make iron reinforcements to make foundations to make walls--but I don't know anything about factories, conveyor belts, or engineering. I bounced of space engineers hard. Is this game pretty accessible for dumb asses with soft science degrees

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CharlesThunder posted:

my favorite part of survival games like conan exiles is the production--making iron to make iron reinforcements to make foundations to make walls--but I don't know anything about factories, conveyor belts, or engineering. I bounced of space engineers hard. Is this game pretty accessible for dumb asses with soft science degrees

I've never played space engineers, but I would think you could easily get into this game. It has decent onboarding that tells you what resources you need and what you need to do to get better things. There's no real goal, you just build whatever kind of factory you want and create materials.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'd say it's really accessible - there's nothing terribly hard about this game - it's largely just a matter of figuring out how to make thing go from point A to point B, and then later regretting how you did it because now you want more space or something.

There's optimal and better ways to do things, but you can kinda brute most anything with sub-optimal setups or things that "just barely work"?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

CharlesThunder posted:

Satisfactory is more about the factory and less about the survival, imo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There really is no survival aspect, the worst thing that can happen is you die and drop your stuff, then gotta go trek back to get it. The only real way to die is getting attacked by animals, poison or falling off the edge of the map (I'm pretty sure the in-map fall damage cap is 98% health or something).

Base resources (ore, coal, biomass, oil) are unlimited so as far as your factory, the absolute worst things that can happen are either lines get backed up and stop running because they're full, or you run out of power early-game and everything shuts down. There's never any real penalty besides "you aren't producing at 100% optimization!!!"

If Minecraft is virtual Lego, Satisfactory is virtual Lego, but the fancy Mindstorms set that lets you do basic programming and motorizing stuff, and it's one of the newer sets where the pieces are custom-designed to look like an actual factory instead of mostly generic blocks. It is absolutely, 100% a sandbox game in its current form.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 22, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you do fall off the map, it's probably a good idea to reload an auto save because I think things just fall forever and cause problems. Unless they fixed that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The only permadeath in Satisfactory is if you place a ton of radioactive material right next to spawn, and then kill yourself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Considering the coastal highway I built doesn't have walls or railings yet, I'm very scared to find out what happens when a fully-loaded truck falls off the edge into deep water :smith:

e: I'm actually scared to try to automate the truck route for this exact reason - I'm waiting to unlock glass walls though since fence railings are too low and it really is a very scenic highway I built :unsmith:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Considering the coastal highway I built doesn't have walls or railings yet, I'm very scared to find out what happens when a fully-loaded truck falls off the edge into deep water :smith:

e: I'm actually scared to try to automate the truck route for this exact reason - I'm waiting to unlock glass walls though since fence railings are too low and it really is a very scenic highway I built :unsmith:

It won't happen if you're not nearby - the truck doesn't technically exist unless someone is around to observe it, it just has its location updated along the route without simulating any physics.

Now, driving it around yourself, that's where the trouble can start...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wish there was some sort of rail crossing piece that could add a section of ramp on either side of the track to let vehicles drive past. That's one thing that really sucks about laying tracks across the map is that you lock your vehicles out of certain areas unless you build a jump ramp or a bridge across.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

CharlesThunder posted:

Space Engineers is a bad game imo.

Satisfactory is the most accessible game of its type that I've heard of. Many people who don't like other crafting games find Satisfactory fun.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I got Space Engineers for a song during the Xmas steam sale after it came out and started a game recently because I wanted to play Astroneer but decided to wait till the summer steam sale. Was wondering how building felt too after seeing how well Stormworks does block building.

I look at the leaps and bounds the UI has made in just the last year and am amazed, because it is still absolutely exhausting to understand what components go into something and grab them out of a chest and go.

Satisfactory you build most stuff out of stuff you can fit a billion of in your inventory and if you need a spreadsheet to plan a build it's for the ratios of inputs and outputs, not planning how many pieces of item cruft you need to build 5 blocks.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Played a ton of Astroneer in early access, then dipped back in after release and found it insufferable. The way you end up trapping yourself while digging is just unnecessary, and the jetpack is something you get way way late in the game...also the base building is cute at first, but later it's just inefficient in a way that's unfun...sort of like crafting in no-mans-sky.

Satisfactory is just a solid loving game, and I can't wait for it's full release and more content.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree with that. I tried astroneer for a while and it was ok. I tried No Mans Sky and it was also just ok. But I keep coming back to satisfactory. Even if there are things that annoy me with it and there's no story or anything, it's fun to get something to work or to reach another tier. If I need to build something, I just go grab a stack of the materials and head off. When my inventory is full, I just dump what I don't need into my sorter. I have more fun doing parkour around my factory and slashing the sword while waiting to get the rest of some item I need than I did doing anything in NMS. In NMS, I always felt like I was just barely scratching the surface of something because the game wouldn't let me do more. I can't learn anymore words from the people in this station, but I still have hundreds more words to learn. I can't get enough of this material because this giant storage box only holds like 10 things in it and I can only have a certain number of storage boxes. NMS seemed to actively hate letting me play it. Astroneer seems like it's only fun with a friend. Satisfactory is fun on your own.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

One thing that immensely improved my experience was realizing I'm not OCD enough to arrange production lines perfectly, and instead just grabbing a shitload of Component X out of a storage container and dumping it in another container attached to a production building.

It would be nice in the future to have production buildings be able to store components for other crafts or something. I haven't unlocked smart splitters yet, but I think my end-game setup will probably be a wall of storage units connected to smart splitters, then going into some assemblers and a manufacturer (I'm not sure that would work though since the pre-splitter conveyer belts would still get clogged with multiple types of components)

2 big wish list items I'd love to see would be some sort of Smart Storage, since AFAIK there's no way to choose what exits a storage unit first, and a way to bulk-move stuff to/from storage. I'm tired of rapidly clicking 15 stacks of something and store/take all just makes a huge mess.

e: also ffs when I switch production from needing iron sheets to pipes, let me grab that last iron sheet out of the mouth of the machine that's blocking all the pipes from entering

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 22, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Space Engineers is a good game imo. Now and then I binge it for hours upon hours, building one specific piece of machinery with a bunch of functions, and because I play it intermittently, I get to see the game progress every time I pick it up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

One thing that immensely improved my experience was realizing I'm not OCD enough to arrange production lines perfectly, and instead just grabbing a shitload of Component X out of a storage container and dumping it in another container attached to a production building.

It would be nice in the future to have production buildings be able to store components for other crafts or something. I haven't unlocked smart splitters yet, but I think my end-game setup will probably be a wall of storage units connected to smart splitters, then going into some assemblers and a manufacturer (I'm not sure that would work though since the pre-splitter conveyer belts would still get clogged with multiple types of components)

2 big wish list items I'd love to see would be some sort of Smart Storage, since AFAIK there's no way to choose what exits a storage unit first, and a way to bulk-move stuff to/from storage. I'm tired of rapidly clicking 15 stacks of something and store/take all just makes a huge mess.

While my style of play is like this, just hand feeding a lot of poo poo into manufactures...the general flow of the game, esp with unlimited resources, is to slowly build permanent production lines for base products, expand those as you go, and eventually have fully automated complex parts and research ingredients. As is, a manufacturer will hold 100 of some parts, so you can set it and run off while you deal with something else and hand collect the output, if you want to. But ultimately you need to work on full production lines for all manner of things.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, one of these days I'll add a 2nd floor to my main base and automate the basics. As it is I'm halfway through Tier 6 and I've never had more than 4 or 6 Iron smelters and 2 Copper smelters going, but I've managed pretty well.

It's just that the number of assemblers and constructors needed to keep a steady supply of intermediate components seems extremely daunting, especially since someof them already require 2 intermediate components. Setting up a steady, independent production line for Motors is a thing on its own, but then you remember that Rotors and Stators go into a bunch of other stuff on their own, etc.

I should fire up that production planner just to give myself a headache. Even without the plastic/oil-based intermediates like Circuit Boards, you'd really want a dedicated assembler for, at least, Modular Frames, Reinforced Iron Plates, Encased I-Beams, Rotors, Stators and Motors. Coordinating the proper numbers of screws/rods/plates for all that is...yikes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

You're going to need way more copper for the last poo poo in the space elevator...that and steel ended up being my biggest bottlenecks.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I got this close to attempting to explain Satisfactory and my obsession with clean lines to my kindly, grandmotherly babushka therapist today, but instead I just said "when I play computer games where you build stuff I like to build stuff neat".

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Astroneer is fine once you realize that you can use resin to make oxygen filters to be able to casually dig yourself out of holes. A huge automation patch is coming on Wednesday, looking forward to that.

Wish Satisfactory was better with the alternative recipes, I never know what to choose because I haven't gotten to the end of the game yet.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

You're going to need way more copper for the last poo poo in the space elevator...that and steel ended up being my biggest bottlenecks.

There are a few good nodes near me, I just haven't really found a use for it yet. Even after starting to mess with oil products I'm overflowing with wire and copper sheets. Probably not a bad idea to get them running sooner rather than later though, even if it's just to feed them straight into awesome sinks.

By the way, is it more efficient to feed raw materials into the sinks, or are there preferred effort-to-points items?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There are a few good nodes near me, I just haven't really found a use for it yet. Even after starting to mess with oil products I'm overflowing with wire and copper sheets. Probably not a bad idea to get them running sooner rather than later though, even if it's just to feed them straight into awesome sinks.

By the way, is it more efficient to feed raw materials into the sinks, or are there preferred effort-to-points items?

You're gonna need a ton of wire eventually

and steel. So save up, but still you'll probably run out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah I'm at that stage right now haha, I got the versatile frameworks done already.

e: is there a goon Discord for this game or something? in case it's not obvious I'm really looking for people to talk strategy and such with :haw:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Usually when I finish a space elevator phase I turn off the project component assemblers for it but I had the feeling I would need a ton of them to make these new ones I hadn't heard of before and boy howdy was I glad I kept them on. :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah, one of these days I'll add a 2nd floor to my main base and automate the basics. As it is I'm halfway through Tier 6 and I've never had more than 4 or 6 Iron smelters and 2 Copper smelters going, but I've managed pretty well.
Not to like, shame you, but this seems like insanity to me.

quote:

It's just that the number of assemblers and constructors needed to keep a steady supply of intermediate components seems extremely daunting, especially since someof them already require 2 intermediate components. Setting up a steady, independent production line for Motors is a thing on its own, but then you remember that Rotors and Stators go into a bunch of other stuff on their own, etc.
I feel you, but I've found the ratios for that stuff often doesn't work out perfectly, so you shove a storage container between stuff and end up with overflow. Or just make extra machines to make excess rotors/stators. So long as your rotor/stator supply outpaces motor's consumption, you''ll end up with a bit of everything.

quote:

I should fire up that production planner just to give myself a headache. Even without the plastic/oil-based intermediates like Circuit Boards, you'd really want a dedicated assembler for, at least, Modular Frames, Reinforced Iron Plates, Encased I-Beams, Rotors, Stators and Motors. Coordinating the proper numbers of screws/rods/plates for all that is...yikes.
It can get really headachey when you want to supply multiple machines with an amount that exceeds what your belts can carry. That said, you could always just be sloppy? Go find some new nodes and just do what you can there, set up tubes and just bounce around between bases. Also if you explore enough you might end up with alt recipes that can simplify a production line. I found a steel ingots -> iron rods recipe that seemed kinda dumb at face value (steel is more work to set up!) but it just lets me turn all the iron into steel, then I can balance the steel back into iron after, and suddenly a base where I was trying to figure out how to make rotors at, has the iron rod supply for it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Not to like, shame you, but this seems like insanity to me.

I feel you, but I've found the ratios for that stuff often doesn't work out perfectly, so you shove a storage container between stuff and end up with overflow. Or just make extra machines to make excess rotors/stators. So long as your rotor/stator supply outpaces motor's consumption, you''ll end up with a bit of everything.

It can get really headachey when you want to supply multiple machines with an amount that exceeds what your belts can carry. That said, you could always just be sloppy? Go find some new nodes and just do what you can there, set up tubes and just bounce around between bases. Also if you explore enough you might end up with alt recipes that can simplify a production line. I found a steel ingots -> iron rods recipe that seemed kinda dumb at face value (steel is more work to set up!) but it just lets me turn all the iron into steel, then I can balance the steel back into iron after, and suddenly a base where I was trying to figure out how to make rotors at, has the iron rod supply for it.

Yeah, tbh now that I've got a steady oil outpost going, automating more stuff seems like the next thing to do, other than exploring the map I guess.

Re: the iron and copper - I just checked and the game says I've played 18 hours (Epic store says 45, not sure which is more accurate, I thought the game kept running when you alt-tabbed out?), but tbqh I haven't stopped doing new stuff for a minute! Actually the progression has been incredibly smooth, way better than a lot of other crafting games. I guess what I'm saying is I never really felt "drat I have nothing else to do this tier, maybe I should start running more iron production lines" or anything.

OTOH your screenshots are like OCD fever dreams for me (in a good way, I'd love to have actual enclosed, multi-level factories like that!) and I guess "get used to scaling up in a big way" is a good starting point for that. Your poo poo just seems so absurdly organized!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Just in case you don't know shift click will move a full stack to/from your inventory at once and Ctrl click will move as many full stacks as you can fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This is what my current main base looks like:

from 12 o'clock, 2 Iron nodes into 6 smelters, 1 Copper node up a hill into 2 smelters, 1 Limestone node, 2 Poor Iron nodes feeding into 2 Steel foundries, and a Coal node way out off the edge of the screenshot.

I'm kind of starting to get the hang of organized production, as evidenced by the bottom-left row of 6 Caterium smelters into Ingot storage and Quickwire production.

Also I'm gonna have to start building up rather than out pretty drat soon - the red line at the south end of my base are walls I put up because the hill just south of that is putting out poison gas at a wide radius.