Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah I figured it was part really not wanting attention to be drawn to her, part panicked instinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

My interpretation is that the Claires are very good at latching onto new developments and playing them in a way that'll benefit themselves, including pushing people in certain directions where they may create new tensions that the Claires can spin in their own favor.

The Claires don't need to be puppetmasters, just crafty opportunists.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Just finished this the other day. This is definitely the best game I've played in a very long time. I went with high psych and Inland Empire and that seemed to be a pretty good choice since I was very satisfied with the ending and story overall. The mercenary standoff was tense as hell and I somehow managed to pass all the checks despite being very unprepared with poo poo hand/eye coordination. I was so worried that Kim might bite it, although now I almost wished I let him get shot because Cuno as your partner sounds amazing. I thought the deserter's story was a pretty good conclusion, but meeting the phasmid took it to a whole new level. That was legit emotionally affecting. I had accidentally read some spoiler that mentioned seeing the phasmid, but I figured that was part of when you're helping out the cryptozoologists and that I just missed out on it this time through. So seeing it at the end was a surprise but it was perfect, especially since my Harry was all about the cryptozoology, although mostly just as a joke.

Great game, beautiful presentation, killer soundtrack, and Kim Kitsuragi!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I can't seem to find two posts (or post series).

One where several posters broke down their relationship with every different skill, in-game and IRL.

And an "art-cop" explanation of what the different character portraits mean, including colors.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

And an "art-cop" explanation of what the different character portraits mean, including colors.

I'd like to see this too, because it just occurred to me that Kim is the only character with a saintly halo in his portrait.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd like to see this too, because it just occurred to me that Kim is the only character with a saintly halo in his portrait.

iirc that same post does bring up the existence of square halos when mentioning the black square behind Jean

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

there is one other: jean vicquemare. square halos also have a lot of precedent in religious iconography. the fact that the halo and background coloration are far darker and more subdued than kim's might also be reflective of how disillusioned vicquemare is from years of serving as harry's minder

e: f;b

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zerilan posted:

iirc that same post does bring up the existence of square halos when mentioning the black square behind Jean

And it just occurred to me that the halos correspond to the halogen watermarks :aaaaa:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I love Cuno's expression here, like a demented game show host.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

chatted up Idiot Doom Spiral some more, listened to him talk about the Cocaine Skull. only when he complained that the way to it was blocked by a truck labeled Delta Logistics Company did I get the joke about downloadable content

e: also I asked about getting some final conversations from Joyce and Evrart and think I figured out a minor thing about getting them:

getting Evrart to admit he wants open war is at least in part behind the dialogue option "did you order the hanged man killed?" I only dug into his conversation after I had found the hanging had been staged, so I figured it was pointless to pick. but I ran out of other options - when asked why he didn't seem worried about the tribunal, he had some line about getting to second base without buying him dinner first, and rhetoric said I should do more things for him - but this was after I had gotten my gun back from the Pigs. possibly a flag didn't trip because I visited Pigs without Kim?

anyway, once he'd talked about that, I was able to tell Joyce, realize she's a director of wild pines rather than just a representative, and encourage her into giving up the dock to the Union. she then sailed off. this was after I had reached the big Shivers check to find Ruby, but before I had passed it.

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 22, 2020

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Not necessarily - Harry hasn't actually changed by the end of the game. Demons like those keep popping back up, it's why nobody is an ex-alcoholic. It'd be just as interesting to play Harry "in recovery".

you don't believe anyone ever recovers from alcoholism?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Its Chocolate posted:

you don't believe anyone ever recovers from alcoholism?

no one is an ex-addict. that's not how addiction works.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Kaysette posted:

no one is an ex-addict. that's not how addiction works.

what do you mean? like the addictive stimulus always stays extra compelling to you even after you've stopped doing it?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Its Chocolate posted:

what do you mean? like the addictive stimulus always stays extra compelling to you even after you've stopped doing it?

For alcohol at least, yes.

And also according to an ex-crack addict friend of mine.

If you relapse, it's not going to be like slowly getting addicted all over again, you quickly fall right back to where you were.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Captain Splendid posted:

For alcohol at least, yes.

And also according to an ex-crack addict friend of mine.

If you relapse, it's not going to be like slowly getting addicted all over again, you quickly fall right back to where you were.

okay that makes sense. it's not literally true for all addictions but it is something that alcoholics probably need to hear

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Even when physical dependence is eliminated, the things you got high to escape never completely go away. At best they're just in the past.

It's very central to the story of the game, not just of The Cop with his amnesia and pain, but of the world he lives in. It reminds me of Infinite Jest.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Oh hey, Disco Elyisium thread, didn't know you existed, even though I probably should have expected it.

Let my first contribution to this conversation be this: I would fall on a grenade for Kim Kisturagi. Not like, my character within the game (although if you manage to disappoint Kim, how the hell do you live with yourself) but me, the flesh and bone person, would gladly explode for him.

Xander77 posted:

One where several posters broke down their relationship with every different skill, in-game and IRL.

I would dearly love to see this too, if anyone remember where it was.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh hey, Disco Elyisium thread, didn't know you existed, even though I probably should have expected it.

Let my first contribution to this conversation be this: I would fall on a grenade for Kim Kisturagi. Not like, my character within the game (although if you manage to disappoint Kim, how the hell do you live with yourself) but me, the flesh and bone person, would gladly explode for him.

it's not an uncommon sentiment

Oxxidation posted:

over the course of day 1 in my playthrough kim went from "how do i ditch this poindexter" to "i will simultaneously kill and die for you"

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I can't find the first, but the second sounds like the conversation that starts here.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm still 100% convinced that Authority is Barnacle Jim.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fister Roboto posted:

... poo poo

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Just started the Clam Man 2 demo and it is hilarious so far, though I think it only has 4 skills/stats.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHTf8cEcQWk

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMg--oc-xzs

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm so god damned proud of this gang tag

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Steam Summer Sale animations are cool

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I finally beat the game for the first time. Got a good ending, I think, in so much as you're able to.

Kim survived, phasmid photographed, and chose to keep my job and invited Kim to join me. That last one isn't so great, given the conclusions the game comes to, but I thought it made the most sense. While I was unable to complete the Wasteland of Reality internalization, I find it fitting that I set it and successfully never drank a drop in the in game week. Felt appopriate. And while you can't really choose how Harry ends up in terms of dealing with ex wife, I pursued the options that seemed to make sense with finally moving on.

I don't think there's really a...good ending? I think there's just endings that you want to see, endings that you think fit, and endings that you absolutely have to see cause this game will let you check em out. The gloves are off on my next playthrough; gonna be as awful as I can be.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

The gloves are off on my next playthrough; gonna be as awful as I can be.

I set out to do this and gave up the instant I had to be lovely to Kim

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Solution: be lovely to everyone except Kim.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fister Roboto posted:

Solution: be lovely to everyone except Kim.

I can do this

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the achievement to disappoint kim is the hardest achievement i've ever seen in a video game, can't even contemplate how to get it

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Shinjobi posted:

I can do this

Kim will be so disappointed at how much of a poo poo you're being to everyone, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am a subpar poster on Something Awful in the year 2020. Disappointment is ingrained into me.:madmax:

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Being lovely to Kim is actually pretty fun if you do it consistently throughout your playthrough.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Looks like we're seeing the origin story of Harry Dubois, aka Rich Kyanka.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Counterpoint: Harry is basically redeemable

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As far as we know, Harry was not a domestic abuser.

He also has a functional spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It's been a while since I played through PS:T, and I don't really remember the specifics when people talk about abandoning their evil playthroughs.

But I had to play as a pure rear end in a top hat for guide writing purposes, and there's one specific moment hit me hard.