Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gadzuko posted:

Just in case you don't know shift click will move a full stack to/from your inventory at once and Ctrl click will move as many full stacks as you can fit.

:aaaaa:

well gently caress, this is more embarrassing than "waited til halfway through Tier 6 to get the Blade Runners"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's okay to build rotors and stators in two different places.

It's also okay to have idle budings. Ratios are hard if you're trying to get 100% uptime on all buildings. But, it's actually more power efficient to, eg, build 4 buildings when the game asks for 3. Uptime doesn't matter unless you want it to.

Plus, the more buildings you build, the bigger your factory, and that's what's really important.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

It's also okay to have idle budings. Ratios are hard if you're trying to get 100% uptime on all buildings. But, it's actually more power efficient to, eg, build 4 buildings when the game asks for 3. Uptime doesn't matter unless you want it to.

Note: Power efficiency savings only apply if you're underclocking the buildings to match the supply.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
We really, really, really need a mini guide for the UI in the OP. Ctrl clicking, shift clicking, etc. There are so many little "load screen tip" things that I think literally every day someone gets to go, "I've been playing for X hours and never knew that."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Next you're gonna tell me there's a way to mass-build foundations and walls (lol who am I kidding, that would require the snap-to to not spaz out constantly)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also, alt + scroll wheel gives you 9 more hot bars.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

Note: Power efficiency savings only apply if you're underclocking the buildings to match the supply.

I mean, when it backs up because it’s overproducing, it then shuts down and doesn’t use power while it’s not running, right? So that’s about the same?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah, tbh now that I've got a steady oil outpost going, automating more stuff seems like the next thing to do, other than exploring the map I guess.

Re: the iron and copper - I just checked and the game says I've played 18 hours (Epic store says 45, not sure which is more accurate, I thought the game kept running when you alt-tabbed out?), but tbqh I haven't stopped doing new stuff for a minute! Actually the progression has been incredibly smooth, way better than a lot of other crafting games. I guess what I'm saying is I never really felt "drat I have nothing else to do this tier, maybe I should start running more iron production lines" or anything.

OTOH your screenshots are like OCD fever dreams for me (in a good way, I'd love to have actual enclosed, multi-level factories like that!) and I guess "get used to scaling up in a big way" is a good starting point for that. Your poo poo just seems so absurdly organized!

Honestly getting a little bit of multiple things going is never a bad thing (particularly if you're stockpiling) - it took me forever to get to oil because I was spending a ton of time getting other stuff "just right" when it probably would have benefited me more to just get oil started. (I'm up to 75 hours according to Steam, but that's split between two sessions)

For me, it's been less "I need more iron production lines" and more "I want to have automated reinforced plates, but I don't want to figure out the tangle that is my existing stuff, let me use a new set of deposits and dedicate them to this."

I think you might be mixing me up with someone else, (unless you mean the royal you referring to the thread :v:) I haven't posted much in the way of screenshots - other people in the thread blow me away too. Keeping stuff organized is hard, particularly without knowing what's ahead, and particularly when supplies are limited and you're just trying to make things go. I generally try to give myself extra space where possible. I've spent plenty of in-game time pacing back and forth just trying to think about how to tackle a problem.

Tenebrais posted:

Don't machines only draw power when running? If everything backed up, stuff will stop running & using power. Won't it work itself to similarly over time? (Granted, you'd be more at risk of big spikes.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think yeah I mixed you and another poster up but even these are friggin' gorgeous

Oxyclean posted:

This is my current power set up

Feel like I could have maybe used the lake space a little better, but there is also another lake beside this one. Also, even before any miner and belt upgrades I still could another 1200 MWh, but I probably should worry about actually unlocking new stuff at this point. :v:

Oxyclean posted:

So, I currently need to make versatile frames. My steel is in one base, and my modular frames are in another, It'd be kinda messy to run a belt, plus I need to scale up eventually.

Closer to my steel, is another 3 pure iron nodes and 1 pure copper node. Assuming I did my math right, I can set up 9 Bolted Frame makers with the assistance of some other alt. recipes.

I worry I may be making a huge mistake / going totally overkill. On one hand, I'll probably need good production for the heavy frames, on the other, I'm putting a lot of iron towards this one thing.

Also I'll need to set up 25 screw makers alone, and figure out how the hell to organize the belts.
My spreadsheeting kinda sucks because I should probably round things or something.

I've barely even begun....

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Next you're gonna tell me there's a way to mass-build foundations and walls (lol who am I kidding, that would require the snap-to to not spaz out constantly)

I learned this trick today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoP3FYl8-Yk

I still wish you could just paint foundations, but this is still better than what I was doing.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

We really, really, really need a mini guide for the UI in the OP. Ctrl clicking, shift clicking, etc. There are so many little "load screen tip" things that I think literally every day someone gets to go, "I've been playing for X hours and never knew that."

Like the in-game calculator! I just found that yesterday and was like :aaa:.

(if anyone doesn't know, press N and type your math right into the search bar, like "(15+3)/8" or whatever)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Fukkit.

Shift-Clicking a stack will move that entire stack to whatever container/item you have open.

Control-Clicking a stack will move every stack of that to whatever container/item you have open.

Right-clicking a stack will split that stack in half.

Holding right-click on a stack will give you a small pop-up to make a very specific size stack.

Alt-scroll wheel is the hotkey to changing your current hot bar.

Middle mouse button with the constructor out (even is disassemble mode) will act like an eyedropper, sampling whatever you're looking at to build more of.

While deconstructing, CTRL will allow you to paint for up to 50 items to deconstruct, allowing you to release it so you can tap it to tag very specific things.

You have multiple hand slots.

Shift or CTRL click dragging a stack in your inventory into the trash can in your inventory will work exactly as you expect.

The 'N' search box also works as a rudimentary calculator. Parenthesis work too!

You can click numbers (double-click to highlight the whole field like you would in any other program) and manually type a value. This works across most fields requiring input, including the shopping list.

What else? There's more, I know there's more, give me more.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 30, 2020

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Fukkit.

Shift-Clicking a stack will move that entire stack to whatever container/item you have open.

Control-Clicking a stack will move every stack of that to whatever container/item you have open.

Right-clicking a stack will split that stack in half.

Holding right-click on a stack will give you a small pop-up to make a very specific size stack.

Alt-scroll wheel is the hotkey to changing your current hot bar.

While deconstructing, CTRL will allow you to paint for up to 50 items to deconstruct, allowing you to release it so you can tap it to tag very specific things.

You have multiple hand slots.

Shift or CTRL click dragging a stack in your inventory into the trash can in your inventory will work exactly as you expect.

The 'N' search box also works as a rudimentary calculator. Parenthesis work too!

What else? There's more, I know there's more, give me more.

Middle mouse with the constructor (or deconstructor) out will select the build recipe for whatever you are aiming at.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Middle mouse with the constructor (or deconstructor) out will select the build recipe for whatever you are aiming at.

Oh gently caress me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dr. Stab posted:

It's okay to build rotors and stators in two different places.

Plus, the more buildings you build, the bigger your factory, and that's what's really important.

If I had to pave over that entire beautiful landscape just to get rid of all the spiders, I would do it in a heartbeat.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Han Nehi posted:

Oh gently caress me.

I figured out most shortcuts early on, but only figured out you could select more than one thing to demolish holding ctrl about mid game and that would have saved me a ton of time early on.

I've sat there and manually deleted hundreds of objects, multiple times...ugh. They need a much much better tutorial on basics like that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, when it backs up because it’s overproducing, it then shuts down and doesn’t use power while it’s not running, right? So that’s about the same?

Underclocking and overclocking buildings doesn't affect power in the same way as craft speed.

If you clock a machine down to 50% speed, It will use 33% power. It takes twice as long to craft an item at 50% speed, so it ends up costing 66% as much energy to craft an item versus not underclocking.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Underclocking and overclocking buildings doesn't affect power in the same way as craft speed.

If you clock a machine down to 50% speed, It will use 33% power. It takes twice as long to craft an item at 50% speed, so it ends up costing 66% as much energy to craft an item versus not underclocking.

My advice is build a massive coal plant and not worry about power that much, unless you're one of those youtubers who builds a gigafactory and need every uranium node working overtime.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Logged out while on a tractor in a MP game. When I logged back in I was dead.

I walk all the way back, and both my body and the tractor is missing. The beacon is there, but it's in the middle of a clearing that I can walk back and forth through.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Baby's First Factory:

Plates/Shafts/Screws production line:

Wires/Cables Line, with cement also visible.

Just finished producing the Space Elevator, that was quite a spectacle, watching the cable come down. Enjoying this so far, though figuring out production ratios was a bit of a pain, especially since I had no experience with previous games like Factorio. Took me quite a while to figure out how to deal with the ratios on the shafts and the screws not matching up evenly. Eventually figured out how to use a spliter and merger pair to shunt a third of the shafts from the screw's provider over to the shaft storage. Felt pretty clever about that, but its probably a common solution :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think yeah I mixed you and another poster up but even these are friggin' gorgeous

Ah heck, well thanks!

You're sure to get the hang of things though - those setups are really just using foundations to line stuff up. (Mergers and splitters are very good for keeping stuff lined up, even if you aren't making full use of them)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 23, 2020

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

LLSix posted:

Logged out while on a tractor in a MP game.

Yeah, don't touch vehicles of any kind in MP. They're extra prone to being sucked under the map for no reason (sync issues?). Trains are fine for the host (ostensibly) but are liable to kill clients.

Have the server host pluck it out using a save editor of some variety.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This is dumb but I'm kinda proud of my new set up. Industrial containers for each material, stacked 2 high. Dump 1x of each mat on the ground to indicate which container holds which. Left = bottom, right = top. Catwalk to access top (or just jump). Now to rig outlets to a quick-turn assembly system and inlets on the back-end where applicable.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is dumb but I'm kinda proud of my new set up. Industrial containers for each material, stacked 2 high. Dump 1x of each mat on the ground to indicate which container holds which. Left = bottom, right = top. Catwalk to access top (or just jump). Now to rig outlets to a quick-turn assembly system and inlets on the back-end where applicable.

handy you can also put a little piece of conveyor to make an item spill out

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

handy you can also put a little piece of conveyor to make an item spill out

For sure. I'm just finding that my needs change so frequently that an agile system is more suitable than fixed infrastructure.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
my main thing against this game is for whatever reason everything takes so long to do, and everything needs to be sprawling. but to do that you also need to spam out foundations which doesn't look... great and also takes a tidy amount of time to do.

why do I have to make twelve coal power plants just let me have one cool one

also the multiplayer is hilariously on fire but that's unity I guess

the map is pretty but frankly completely useless and ignoreable, especially with a focus on making foundations. it's a lot more just scanning and meandering towards a vein then going "dang check out this sweet swamp (filled with hogs)"

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Unity? This game uses Unreal Engine 4.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Okay, possible dumb question, but how do you guys get the maps with the visible structures displayed? We just unlocked the map and holy crap it seems near useless for anything beyond managing the beacon display.

Context: Just relocated the spaghet mess of our first factories up off the ground onto The Pavement and in the process broke a power pole line and I couldnt track down the break in the line to the powerplant. Had to just walk the line physically.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The production planner link in the OP lets you upload save files and outputs a map like that.

It's actually an editor, you can change parameters like what items are in your storage containers, etc. I haven't used it to edit anything yet, I just like seeing my base laid out like that. Cheating in a sandbox game just seems pointless and like a bit of a slippery slope (well if I edited in this 1 pain in the rear end product, might as well do a couple more...)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Gamerofthegame posted:

my main thing against this game is for whatever reason everything takes so long to do, and everything needs to be sprawling. but to do that you also need to spam out foundations which doesn't look... great and also takes a tidy amount of time to do.

the map is pretty but frankly completely useless and ignoreable, especially with a focus on making foundations. it's a lot more just scanning and meandering towards a vein then going "dang check out this sweet swamp (filled with hogs)"

Have you tried Anno 1800? You might like that better.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The production planner link in the OP lets you upload save files and outputs a map like that.

It's actually an editor, you can change parameters like what items are in your storage containers, etc. I haven't used it to edit anything yet, I just like seeing my base laid out like that. Cheating in a sandbox game just seems pointless and like a bit of a slippery slope (well if I edited in this 1 pain in the rear end product, might as well do a couple more...)

Thanks.

And agreed, cheating in stuff to skip production seems eh. Refunding stuff that may have gotten eaten by wonky glitches is probably the only time I would see it being helpful/fair.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Have you tried Anno 1800? You might like that better.

I will agree that while the map is gigantic and the areas I've explored have been very pretty and distinct (the 2nd moon or whatever rising over the beach on the west coast casts an absolutely gorgeous purple glow over everything and illuminates crazy patterns in the sand underwater), there really is absolutely nothing to actually find aside from hard drives. There are those 2 dummy items, but even once those get actual functions, it's just the same glowing red S and glowing purple sphere repeated a few hundred times.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

I mean, there's gigantic warnings that say MP is still WIP/buggy. :v: It's been functional for me, but de-syncing of player and enemy locations happens over time but it doesnt seem to get in the way of factory building in most ways.

And the reason you need "twelve coal plants" rather then one cool one is because that's like the "challenge" of the game?

I do kind of feel you on the "just put foundations everywhere."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The mercer spheres and somers loops are annoying because they are clearly supposed to be hard to get to because I guess they are going to beend game items. But they are useless and they put them in right in the middle of places I want to go to. So I want to send a conveyor belt or a train somewhere, but now there's a bunch of those rocks with the poison gas in the pathway that goes from this area to the other. There really needs to be some sort of end game explosive that kills the poison rocks so I don't have to worry about them after getting far enough in the game.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

So here is a subjective question: Do you guys normally set up a separate line for basic building pieces (Iron Plates, rods, Wire, Cable, etc.) from your complex assembly lines (Smart plating, etc) or do you just pull from the supply of those lines?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I build an extremely quick and dirty factory when I need to fill up, and then I tear it down when I have a double size container of mats.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

For all you new steam players, learning the ways of the yeet cannon is important imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWuSiuKVoOo

Crazyeyes24 posted:

So here is a subjective question: Do you guys normally set up a separate line for basic building pieces (Iron Plates, rods, Wire, Cable, etc.) from your complex assembly lines (Smart plating, etc) or do you just pull from the supply of those lines?

not really sure I understand but people suggest processing as much as you can near the nodes, which frees up space where you do manufacturing. I have a ton of ingots coming into my manufacturing area and being processed into plates and rods and screws, and it's a mess. Beyond that how much you split off from your production lines totally has to do with demand.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Hmmm... Okay. My initial thought process on this first playthrough was to just pull ore over to the base, and then divide it up as needed to feed lines going from Ore->Product in one line instead of segmented 'parts' factories.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Hmmm... Okay. My initial thought process on this first playthrough was to just pull ore over to the base, and then divide it up as needed to feed lines going from Ore->Product in one line instead of segmented 'parts' factories.

you can have ore coming straight in, ultimately it just mean more of a foot print of your base proper though. I had some outposts sending more exotic ores in and eventually settled on smelting and minor processing them at the node, and sending the products because it just saves space inside my stupid disorganized base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Because the limits on how many items you can push on a belt are so small, you almost have to create dedicated production for every new end item. If you try to push too much production into a single storage container you back up on the single belt going into the storage container.

That might get better late game, but my MP game is into steel production and coal power plants and everything we've made so far uses dedicated production from start to finish, except for screws which we leech a small amount of production from into a dead-end storage chest for when we need them for some non-beltable task like feeding the hub or building.