Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Hope he goes easy and that He will be at peace, traveling amongst the pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
...what comes after a chaser?

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1274422844722642945

and the hits keep coming:

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1274432902470737920

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 20, 2020

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Well that's interesting. :munch:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Pourin' one out, Toona. Sorry to hear that.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Sorry your cat died Toona, it sounds like he was a good kitty and you gave him a good life.

Can someone explain what the judges appointing the SDNY prosecutor? That sounds unusual to me, and I must have missed that when Preet got fired.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BigHead posted:

Can someone explain what the judges appointing the SDNY prosecutor? That sounds unusual to me, and I must have missed that when Preet got fired.

quote:

Berman was initially appointed on an interim basis by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions for a 120-day term. At the time, some Democrats promised to use procedural efforts to block Berman's nomination, saying his interview with Trump for the job posed a conflict of interest.

When the end of that term came without the White House putting forth a nominee, the judges of the federal district court in Manhattan voted to appoint Berman to remain in the job. As a result, under federal law, he can serve until the Senate confirms a Trump nominee.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/20/politics/who-is-geoffrey-berman-southern-district-of-new-york/index.html

Relevant statute is 28 USC 546:

quote:

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), the Attorney General may appoint a United States attorney for the district in which the office of United States attorney is vacant.

(b)The Attorney General shall not appoint as United States attorney a person to whose appointment by the President to that office the Senate refused to give advice and consent.

(c)A person appointed as United States attorney under this section may serve until the earlier of—
(1)the qualification of a United States attorney for such district appointed by the President under section 541 of this title; or
(2)the expiration of 120 days after appointment by the Attorney General under this section.

(d)If an appointment expires under subsection (c)(2), the district court for such district may appoint a United States attorney to serve until the vacancy is filled. The order of appointment by the court shall be filed with the clerk of the court.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/28/546

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1274366497360613381

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

BigHead posted:

Normally US Attorneys are nominated by the president and confirmed by the senate. Once Preet got the yeet,* his deputy automatically became the acting US Attorney. That was in March 2017. In January 2018 Sessions replaced Kim with Berman on an acting capacity. There's a federal law, 28 USC s 546, that says that if a US attorney post is vacant the judges of that district can appoint an attorney until a replacement is confirmed. That was back in April 2018.

Trump never nominated anyone, let alone Berman, to be the SDNY US attorney. So Berman has the position indefinitely until a replacement is appointed and confirmed. There's an Office of Legal Counsel opinion from the 70s that says that the president can fire a US attorney appointed by the judges, but it's never been tested in court.

*I apologize wholeheartedly but I just couldn't not

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
further developments:

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1274461707801432065/photo/1

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1274463999011295234

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

They'll let her get her feet under the desk and then yank her just as she starts to get going. Then go one step further down the ladder perpetuating organizational chaos in the office. That would be my bet anyway, unless she turns out to be a good obedient lapdog that is.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
She got praised by the Jeff sessions guy, and the Obama guy, and she’s running SDNY, so she’s probably not dumb. So if the plan is for SDNY to get revenge, I think she’ll do nothing until the election and then go hog wild.

Lawyers are vindictive, and cop lawyers ever more so

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Hey very belated but sincere thanks to the lawgoons that gave me info on wanting to work with that law firm as a stats\polling consultant! That specific opportunity might not come through due to unrelated stuff on both of our ends related to the world being on fire right now, but I had that second interview, it went well and a lot of the stuff they wanted done was well within my skillset and I'll probably do some kind of consulting for them again sometime in future. Might be some weird restrictions on what kind of software tools I could use that will be kinda a bitch, but otherwise seems like interesting work that pays pretty well.

Also one of the lawyers that I met is gonna be leaving the legal profession soon to go to grad school in my field, which was kinda weird.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Teddybear posted:

There's an Office of Legal Counsel opinion from the 70s that says that the president can fire a US attorney appointed by the judges, but it's never been tested in court.

*I apologize wholeheartedly but I just couldn't not

Given 541(c), I wouldn’t put bets on the courts saying he can’t. (Which might be why Berman resigned.)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

In case people missed this work of art:
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1274482267751100421

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Still Dismal posted:

Also one of the lawyers that I met is gonna be leaving the legal profession soon to go to grad school in my field, which was kinda weird.

This isn't at all weird and I'm trying to do it, myself. I just finished a masters in finance. However, I graduated into the trump depression so I'll never get a decent job.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The ALAB guys need to do more episodes on Mignona. I like hearing about the case but learning about it as mediated by goofuses like the threadnought guy is not fun

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ty motherfuckin Beard.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I had almost forgotten about this shitshow of a case.

Fantastic, sur replies!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Late but sorry Toona (to both of you).

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

This isn't at all weird and I'm trying to do it, myself. I just finished a masters in finance. However, I graduated into the trump depression so I'll never get a decent job.

I mean, I generally like what I do and find it interesting, don't get me wrong. It was just strange for me to hear someone who had a lucrative and prestigious grown-up job very excited to make PhD student stipend wages for a couple years. But he seemed positively chuffed at the thought of being poorly paid to read political theory and learn about statistics and polling for a couple of years, even wanted to do a virtual happy hour and chat about my experience sometime.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Still Dismal posted:

I mean, I generally like what I do and find it interesting, don't get me wrong. It was just strange for me to hear someone who had a lucrative and prestigious grown-up job very excited to make PhD student stipend wages for a couple years. But he seemed positively chuffed at the thought of being poorly paid to read political theory and learn about statistics and polling for a couple of years, even wanted to do a virtual happy hour and chat about my experience sometime.

You could have a lucrative and prestigious job of getting punched in the nuts - that doesn't mean you wouldn't be chuffed about doing something that doesn't involve getting punched in the nuts.

Surely this can't be that strange to you. It's a tale as old as time - "left my job wearing a suit and tie and traveled the country working as a motorcycle mechanic" or something similar.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah true. Guess I've been in grad school for long enough that the sheen has worn off of it a little, but I can see the appeal of living a kinda bohemian academic lifestyle after being chained to a desk for years. Not like the job market for us is that great either though.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Still Dismal posted:

Yeah true. Guess I've been in grad school for long enough that the sheen has worn off of it a little, but I can see the appeal of living a kinda bohemian academic lifestyle after being chained to a desk for years. Not like the job market for us is that great either though.

I’ll hazard a guess that his loans are paid off, he has no kids, and/or his spouse is a high earner too.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Still Dismal posted:

One thing to realize is that for many (if not most) people, grad school is the definition of studying exactly what you want to study because it interests you. (At least for the humanities and other subjects - I don't know as much about the hard sciences.) I know a number of people in law who would have just gone to grad school because they actually liked history, political science, etc., except they knew they would be living a life desperately trying to eek out even a middle class existence teaching at some branch of a state school, if they could even get that type of job. After a while though, some people start to wonder whether that is, in fact, a better life than doing something with 10-12 hours of their day in which they have little-to-no interest, or worse, that may even be morally repugnant to them.

The modern practice of law (and many other things, I'm sure) makes certain people understand the fundamental Marxian notion of being alienated from their own labor. At the end of the day, we all have only the hours in our own lives, and doing something you have no interest in for cash is in some ways prostituting away the hours of your life in exchange for economic security. You are bartering your experiences. But it by nature means you are alienated from your own existence during those times, your experiences, your perceptions, and your own mind.

Conversely, few take the years to write a doctoral thesis on inflationary pressures in Minsk from 1743-1745 and its concomitant effect on the intelligentsia unless they're interested in it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
eke

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I come from a long line of academics. I'd totally have gotten a history degree if they hadn't gradually eliminated tenure track positions for the last 30-40 years, even in the science. My mom's position was filled by non-tenured staff when she retired and she was in a field that gets a lot of grant and corporate money.

My grandfather was able to have solidly middle class lifestyle, with a kid, getting his phd post wwii and had no delay from phd to tenure track. Doesn't happen today.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 22, 2020

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It still happens, just to far less people and is infinitely more stressful and takes a far higher toll on those that manage to do it. For social scientists that manage to pick up data/stats skills it’s not all bad, because you have other options. But yeah, I would not do a PhD in comp lit these days unless I was a super genius in the field or had family money.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Still Dismal posted:

It still happens, just to far less people and is infinitely more stressful and takes a far higher toll on those that manage to do it. For social scientists that manage to pick up data/stats skills it’s not all bad, because you have other options. But yeah, I would not do a PhD in comp lit these days unless I was a super genius in the field or had family money.

I mean in both the fields my mother, grandfather, and great-grandfathers were in (3 ag-related biology, 1 chemistry), you'd totally have well paying -- better than many tenure gigs -- options, but they tend to involve working for really, really lovely companies particularly in the ag sector. However, I can't science that well, and ain't no one hiring history profs for tenure track who either haven't written NYT bestsellers or can otherwise attract some donors.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I became a lawyer because I'm too stupid to do anything else!!! And it's great!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yes sir may I have another?!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like being a lawyer. I get paid to be an argumentative rear end and tell people they are wrong in exacting detail.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
https://twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1275170749515522052

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1275172420186451968

Where's our resident Savoyards expert to discuss/explain scope of charges here?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Start the countdown for Fox News / OANN to claim this guy is an antifa operative

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You don't have to be a Savoyards expert to see he's the very model of a rabid murder animal.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Maybe they can explain how it's not some bullshit that they charged him under six separate statutes for the same crime.

SAVOYARD!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Thanks to whoever bought the new avatar. I was literally going to do something similar today.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
A good AV for a good cat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So, yeah, anyone less lazy than me want to set up a law thread discord or something in case the recent lowtax thing is the end?

They created one in ai and bike threads had one forever, so this is the only other place I post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah, please. Seems smart. I'm at work and I'll set one up when I'm home, but someone should beat me to it before lowtax beats the forum like he beats women