Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
So, that's just them intentionally loving with people trying to sleep, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yes it's what the CIA did to Noriega too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wasabi the J posted:

They took a slightly different tack than sirens: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-40090809

"The troops' playlist came care of the Southern Command Network, the US military radio in central America. It featured hits picked for their irony value, including I Fought The Law by The Clash, Panama by the stadium rock band Van Halen, U2's All I Want Is You, and Bruce Cockburn's If I Had A Rocket Launcher."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Wasabi the J posted:

Nope, Army. If only you'd joined a little earlier...

A partial playlist:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I'd wager some of those rear end in a top hat cops driving around keeping people from sleeping in their own homes at 3am are pulling overtime too

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bored As gently caress posted:

Could you cite more than two examples?

You know it's a good faith argument when it starts like this

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

There are no good faith arguments with anyone associated with law enforcement, past or present.

You can drop the badge and gun, but never quite lose the "c'mon, lick the boot, just a little"

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It’s not bootlicking to point out that Columbine and Parkland represent the worst and most visible examples of police failing to respond to an active shooter. It’s because of the former that training and doctrine have evolved to try to mitigate a situation like the latter; in that case, it really was a failure of courage and absolutely terrible poo poo-rear end cops to do what was expected of them.

That said, active shooter incidents are so rare that using them as a major focal point for criticizing police in the US as a whole is a big reach, especially when there are so many other everyday areas where police are loving up to the detriment of everyone else.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It’s not bootlicking to point out that Columbine and Parkland represent the worst and most visible examples of police failing to respond to an active shooter. It’s because of the former that training and doctrine have evolved to try to mitigate a situation like the latter; in that case, it really was a failure of courage and absolutely terrible poo poo-rear end cops to do what was expected of them.

That said, active shooter incidents are so rare that using them as a major focal point for criticizing police in the US as a whole is a big reach, especially when there are so many other everyday areas where police are loving up to the detriment of everyone else.

Columbine was also a police intelligence failure; Jefferson County Sheriff's office could have searched Eric Harris's house and found the guns and explosives (turns out you can't make multiple death threats and blow up pipe bombs), but they put the warrant in a cabinet and forgot about it.

I've been losing more and more sympathy for police ever since I found out that a lot of cops shrug off serious crimes and bust weed dealers because investigating rapes and murders is hard.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That's because the active shooter is usually a police, op

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Kamala Harris literally made her career by prosecuting weed possession and truancy but also later bragged about smoking weed and listening to Dre during the same period of time and if that doesn’t sum up the Cop mindset I don’t know what does

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Internet Wizard posted:

Kamala Harris literally made her career by prosecuting weed possession and truancy but also later bragged about smoking weed and listening to Dre during the same period of time and if that doesn’t sum up the Cop mindset I don’t know what does

An in group the law protects but does not bind, and out groups that the law binds but does not protect.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Is there a blue leaks best of thread?

My takeaway from scratching the surface a little is shock at how many private industry EHS people, election boards, and librarians have access to statewide intelligence fusion centers

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

You're insufferable dude. If there's more than two examples, please, post them. Those are honestly the only two examples I can think of.

Read the rest of the post. Those examples are the exceptions to the rule.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/bryanbehar/status/1275287628720607233?s=20

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Both the off duty dude and the on duty officer should be fired.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You're insufferable dude. If there's more than two examples, please, post them. Those are honestly the only two examples I can think of.

Read the rest of the post. Those examples are the exceptions to the rule.

All the reporters and medics being targetted in first aid tents seems like good examples but i can see why you would be able to think of shooting at peoples faces from under 10 feet with 38mm grenades as being there to protect the noncop civilian population

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
point blank 38mm rubber/foam/wooden bullets to the face are also something they love to do

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Stravag posted:

All the reporters and medics being targetted in first aid tents seems like good examples but i can see why you would be able to think of shooting at peoples faces from under 10 feet with 38mm grenades as being there to protect the noncop civilian population

Reading comprehension is hard.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Apparently not being a bootlicking gently caress is too

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I loved when a dude drove into a crowd of protesters, shot a man, and then ran to the line of cops for protection at the East Precinct in Seattle a couple weeks ago. They didn't do poo poo but protect him lmao.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
you know drat well hes going to use stand your ground as a defense

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Bored as gently caress posted:

It's fine to be ACAB and all that poo poo, but at least be factually accurate. There's more than enough problems with policing in America without resorting to half truths.

Apparently not being a bootlicking gently caress is too

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I loved watching the NYPD protect all those protesters with their cars

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
https://twitter.com/J0hnnyXm4s/status/1275271166509416448

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Would repealing Posse Comitatus and making law enforcement a branch of the military be a solution to some of the problems the United States has with law enforcement?

My thoughts are that there is no accountability in modern law enforcement. There is no equivalent to the UCMJ, meaning that police officers do not face any legal penalties for failing to follow the orders and do not face legal consequences for failing to do their duty in the way that service members do. Law Enforcement Officers act like they are defacto military, referring to anyone who is not in law enforcement as a "civilian," yet the departments do not face consequences for ignoring the edicts of the civilian leadership. Examples of this are the insubordination shown by the NYPD towards the Mayor's office, and the Columbus, OH police department ignoring the orders to stop using tear gas on protesters.

Servicemembers are not allowed to form unions or strike, and can be held accountable for malingering and intentionally sabotaging their work. A police officer and quit at any time, while a servicemember is bound by their contract of enlistment or service obligations.

The Posse Comitatus act was passed to prevent the US Army from enforcing the law in the south during reconstruction. The Army had been used to fight the Klan and protect the rights of newly freed slaves. Once the Army was prevented from doing so, there was nothing to protect the rights of black people in the South and the era of Jim Crow began. The US Army has been used to enforce racial order, see for example President Eisenhower's use of the 101st Airborne to enforce integration in Arkansas.

My feeling is that by Federalizing US law enforcement, either by making it a part of the military or the equivalent, it would standardize training throughout the country while creating a greater amount of accountability for law enforcement while also forcing them to adhere to a higher standard of conduct with more recourses to deal with problem behavior.

I apologize if this is a little meandering, I had a 3 AM call and am just typing this out before I finish my shift.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Fuuuuck no it wouldn't.

The military is incredibly unsuited to domestic policing. They'd essentially be starting over from whole cloth and the very last people who should be designing a law enforcement system from whole cloth are the loving military.

For every time the Army was used for something like fighting the Klan, there's a dozen examples of massacring natives or being called in to bomb striking mine workers to protect the financial interests of the wealthy.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
On stealing the legs from a double amputee
https://twitter.com/Eloisa_Amezcua/status/1275412543364833283?s=19

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You see, in the totality of the circumstances, gimme dem gams.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Liquid Communism posted:

Fuuuuck no it wouldn't.

The military is incredibly unsuited to domestic policing. They'd essentially be starting over from whole cloth and the very last people who should be designing a law enforcement system from whole cloth are the loving military.

For every time the Army was used for something like fighting the Klan, there's a dozen examples of massacring natives or being called in to bomb striking mine workers to protect the financial interests of the wealthy.

Weirdly enough the article you are quoting states the Army is much more neutral than the e Guard or local law enforcement.

article posted:

On four separate occasions between 1919 and 1921 the United States Army was ordered to intervene in labor disputes between miners and coal mine operators in West Virginia. Federal military interventions to maintain or restore civil authority threatened by unrest or riots originating from labor disputes was not unknown duty to army personnel. Between 1877 and 1920 several presidents had called upon the army to assist civil officials in quelling domestic disorders under authority of the Constitution and congressional statutes. In the vast majority of federal military interventions prior to 1917, regular army troops succeeded in restoring order quickly, with a minimum of injury and bloodshed, in strict adherence to orders issued within legal parameters set by the Constitution, federal statutes, and army regulations. Although questions of army neutrality were constantly raised, especially by labor groups and workingmen who were most often the focus of federal military interventions, historically United States Army actions during American domestic disturbances were amazingly non-partisan and non-violent when compared to the record of National Guard forces while under state control.1

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

PeterCat posted:

Weirdly enough the article you are quoting states the Army is much more neutral than the e Guard or local law enforcement.

More to my point, I was talking about the accountability the military system provides, not that the Army as it stands is doctrinally set up to be a police force.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Dude gently caress off with that dumb as gently caress line of thinking. What in the Army's experience as an occupying force in Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan makes you think that's a good idea? What accountability are you loving talking about?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
poo poo half the dudes in the police are Army failsons.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PeterCat posted:

More to my point, I was talking about the accountability the military system provides, not that the Army as it stands is doctrinally set up to be a police force.

Here is an idea: institute regulations for police under state and federal law instead of undermining the protections that prevent the federal government from deploying it's killing professionals within the United States.

Police militarization is bad. Militarizing the police to obtain accountability is like building a wicker fence around the massive bull you have started injecting with experimental bovine steroids.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Here's an idea: put the police in prison forever.

Just gently caress all of them.

Shooting dead men's graves.

Killing kids.

Attacking anyone who disagrees with the injustices.

Spreading debunked conspiracy theories about antifa as Intel to justify the enactment of fascism.

Y'all deserve prison. Some deserve to be hung as traitors.

Doesn't matter.

I'll probably be killed by police and they'll point to this post as evidence that I was deserving of murder and society will move on.

Trump 2020

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 23, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Policing was invented as a technique to pacify occupied populations more effectively than soldiers or gendarmes. Robert Peel's principles for the London Metro were based on his experiences as (ugh) "Chief Secretary for Ireland."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PeterCat posted:

Would repealing Posse Comitatus and making law enforcement a branch of the military be a solution to some of the problems the United States has with law enforcement?

My thoughts are that there is no accountability in modern law enforcement. There is no equivalent to the UCMJ, meaning that police officers do not face any legal penalties for failing to follow the orders and do not face legal consequences for failing to do their duty in the way that service members do. Law Enforcement Officers act like they are defacto military, referring to anyone who is not in law enforcement as a "civilian," yet the departments do not face consequences for ignoring the edicts of the civilian leadership. Examples of this are the insubordination shown by the NYPD towards the Mayor's office, and the Columbus, OH police department ignoring the orders to stop using tear gas on protesters.

Servicemembers are not allowed to form unions or strike, and can be held accountable for malingering and intentionally sabotaging their work. A police officer and quit at any time, while a servicemember is bound by their contract of enlistment or service obligations.

The Posse Comitatus act was passed to prevent the US Army from enforcing the law in the south during reconstruction. The Army had been used to fight the Klan and protect the rights of newly freed slaves. Once the Army was prevented from doing so, there was nothing to protect the rights of black people in the South and the era of Jim Crow began. The US Army has been used to enforce racial order, see for example President Eisenhower's use of the 101st Airborne to enforce integration in Arkansas.

My feeling is that by Federalizing US law enforcement, either by making it a part of the military or the equivalent, it would standardize training throughout the country while creating a greater amount of accountability for law enforcement while also forcing them to adhere to a higher standard of conduct with more recourses to deal with problem behavior.

I apologize if this is a little meandering, I had a 3 AM call and am just typing this out before I finish my shift.

What, over the past twenty loving years, makes you think it's a good idea for the US military to occupy the United States and act as a law enforcement agency? The only idea worse than this is to nuke the protesters immediately.

Edit: I don't even know what you're talking about when you mention "accountability."

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Maybe OP thinks the Vietnam War Crimes Working Group did good?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The reason the police are not 'armed forces' is so they do not view the citizens as 'the enemy'.

It hasn't worked out so well but :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Cops aren't great, that's for sure