Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I kinda assumed the carrier rework would have fixed that. A few years off made me forget what kind of company Wargaming is.

The CV rework made CVs worse for the game, not better, along with making them more popular so there's more around. There's basically no counterplay by anyone now: they locked up a huge chunk of ship AA in flak - which is literally just a minigame for the CV player (so good ones legitimately don't care); CV fighters are now a droppable consumable that are worthless for actually stopping attacks (so they're mostly just used for spotting unfortunate DDs); and they put in a plane replenishment mechanic which basically means high tier CVs do not run out of planes ever (bar absolutely suicidal plane usage) - and by that I mean I've seen a game with a Hak (pre-rework plane total of 100) with nearly 120 plane kills on the opposite team and was still fielding full squads.

Oh, they've got a new weapon type in rockets, which are basically completely no-brainer damage that needs virtually no aiming and is nearly undodgeable - and can easily strip huge amounts of HP off DDs and cruisers in one pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I forgot how miserable the Prince Fredriech is, goddamn what a tub of poo poo. Only need to have a simply ok game in for the mission too, and it just does nothing right.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lord Koth posted:

The CV rework made CVs worse for the game, not better, along with making them more popular so there's more around. There's basically no counterplay by anyone now: they locked up a huge chunk of ship AA in flak - which is literally just a minigame for the CV player (so good ones legitimately don't care); CV fighters are now a droppable consumable that are worthless for actually stopping attacks (so they're mostly just used for spotting unfortunate DDs); and they put in a plane replenishment mechanic which basically means high tier CVs do not run out of planes ever (bar absolutely suicidal plane usage) - and by that I mean I've seen a game with a Hak (pre-rework plane total of 100) with nearly 120 plane kills on the opposite team and was still fielding full squads.

Oh, they've got a new weapon type in rockets, which are basically completely no-brainer damage that needs virtually no aiming and is nearly undodgeable - and can easily strip huge amounts of HP off DDs and cruisers in one pass.

The kicker is that I was one of the few people that enjoyed RTS carrier gameplay and hate the new version.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Just go all the way and let us flight simulator the planes and hop to a new cockpit when your plane gets shot down. And fully simulate every AA round and add aerodynamics and individual plane AI and ah poo poo I shouldn’t have played so much FreeSpace growing up

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So is the ps4 version (legends) worth playing?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sure. I don't think Legends is as good as the PC version, but it's perfectly playable. Some parts of it are even better, because it isn't heading down the drain on the Lesta death spiral like the PC version is.

Some differences:
- They've done a pretty good job of trying to cram the PC UI onto console controllers, but I still prefer keyboard and mouse.
- World of Warships is and forever will be a "sit at the desktop" game for me, so playing it on my TV from my couch feels wrong.
- No mods of any kind.
- Doesn't have nearly as many ships or ship lines as the PC version, but also doesn't have for instance carriers so it's all swings and roundabouts, innit?
- The mechanics for crews and equipment are quite different. Your captains' skill trees function differently, and you buy and equip upgrades in a slightly different way. I have a feeling these changes will come to the PC version in some format in the future as well.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 23, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The ranked sprint started. 298 battleships in queue on the EU servers. 10 cruisers, 8 destroyers, 12 CVs.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
https://discord.gg/0lSMRHzXe0APB3Bo

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011
PT 0.9.6, balance changes

quote:

PT 0.9.6, balance changes

Please note that all information in the development blog is preliminary and subject to change during testing. Any showcased features may or may not end up on the main server. The final information will be published on our game's website.

Armor-piercing bomb damage of all aircraft carriers was lowered on average by 17%.

Exact values

AP bombs are more skill-demanding for successful use than HE bombs, but their efficiency is higher, if used correctly. The updated aircraft carriers constitute a relatively young class in the game, and most players have only recently learned how to use AP bombs correctly. Consequently, the overall damage dealt by this type of armament has become too high. We, therefore, decided to systematically lower the maximum damage of AP bombs, but without lowering their penetration. We will watch individual performance of the ships, and will take additonal actions if needed.

VIII Shōkaku:

Armor penetration of researchable bombers' bombs increased by 8%.

VIII Graf Zeppelin, VIII Graf Zeppelin B:

Aiming reticle reduction speed increased by 15%

V Nicholas, VI Farragut, VII Mahan, VIII Benson, IX Fletcher, X Gearing:

Bonus to AA continuous damage from "Defensive AA fire" consumable increased from +50% to +75%

X Venezia:

The angle at which the check for ricochets is made for her SAP shells decreased from 75 to 70 degrees.
Main battery guns reload time increased from 20 to 20.5 s;
Rudder shift time increased from 11.6 to 12.6 s.

Engine boost Modification 1 upgrade:

Bonus to the action time of the consumable reduced from 50% to 40%.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Bonus to AA continuous damage from "Defensive AA fire" consumable increased from +50% to +75%

Maybe i am misremembering but didnt US dds have to give up something to use DefAA??

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Burns posted:

Maybe i am misremembering but didnt US dds have to give up something to use DefAA??

They have to lose speed boost. It's a bad trade since DF doesn't prevent any damage from a CV and speed boost prevents some damage from ships shooting at you, and it'll still be a bad trade when DF kills 0.75 planes per use instead of 0.5.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah let's keep nerfing the GZ, it's already only the worst T8 CV by every metric but I'm sure we can still keep hammering it into the ground some more.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Oh no poor CV players! :cry:

Burns
May 10, 2008

James Garfield posted:

They have to lose speed boost. It's a bad trade since DF doesn't prevent any damage from a CV and speed boost prevents some damage from ships shooting at you, and it'll still be a bad trade when DF kills 0.75 planes per use instead of 0.5.

They ought to make DF an additional slot since i doubt anyone actually runs it on US dds. I certainly dont.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I just finished the Vladivostok, and like the Sinop, I can see its strengths, but goddamn did it never click for me. It always felt really selective when it decided to be tanky, or when that soviet close range accuracy buff would engage.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

I just finished the Vladivostok, and like the Sinop, I can see its strengths, but goddamn did it never click for me. It always felt really selective when it decided to be tanky, or when that soviet close range accuracy buff would engage.

I think i went into the Sinop extremely biased as i hear left right and center how incredibly OP it was at T7 and that any ranked game would be decided by who had the most sinops.
Naturally i was taken aback when i realized it could be damaged or destroyed, and didnt simply doubleclick ships off the roster as advertised.
Over time i kinda accepted her as "another Battleship" that could do some things better and some things worse, but i no way shape or form was it halfway what it was sold to me as.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean the Sinop is by some distance the most powerful T7 battleship, but it's not completely 100% broken. Until the Kremlin the Soviet BBs have broadsides that can be exploited and citadels that are fairly easy to hit if they show too much side. But they also have guns that absolutely WRECK FOOLS, good HP pools, short repair crew cooldowns etc.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Might also be that this is common knowledge and Sinops are focussed down to be out of the equation quickly, just like radar cruisers, smols and minos.
I still liked it, but it wasnt the second coming of comrade christ.
Kinda like i thought the yamato would basically auto-pen everything from everywhere and reality was quite sobering.

I see myself being equally reality-checked when i finally reach the Venezia, but this time i really try not to hope for too much.
So far every step up the italian tree was a very big improvement to the one before, which, given the baseline, wasnt exactly hard to achieve.
So now that i really like the Brindisi, i might expect too much from the Venezia, especially since everyone keeps praising her into high heavens and then some.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, the Yamato and Musashi definitely take some getting used to. You'll get a lot more overpens than citadels or full pens, and they can sometimes be extremely frustrating to play because of it. But when it all clicks and you insta-delete a T10 battleship with a well-placed salvo it's worth it.

And yeah, Venezia is another ship where the official pubbie story is extremely overhyped. She's a good ship for sure, but she isn't brokenly good in randoms.

I think that's a problem with this game's audience in general. People see unicums do amazing things in ships and over time people kind of broken telephone that story into "anyone can just casually do 250k a game in the Venezia, and the Kremlin is an invulnerable monster that can just back into B and win the game solo".

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
To be completely fair, this very thread markets the Venezia as, and i quote "making GBS threads on all other T10 cruisers",
so one could be led to expect it to do.
Im aware it probably wont to that degree.

Ive long since refained from taking videos at face value, i try to just take hints and tips from them and see if i can work with them and if not, adapt.
For example, not having 19km range on the smolensk strikes me as something detrimental since i seem to own the only smol that shoots 16.6. Every single other one i encounter has 19km and i feel tempted to respec into that and see if it fits me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well I mean the Venezia is a good cruiser, no doubt about that, probably the best tech tree T10 cruiser at least before the Alexander Nevsky and Petropavlovsk were added. Super accurate long range SAP is a motherfucker.

But it's not brokenly good, IMO.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Every single other one i encounter has 19km and i feel tempted to respec into that and see if it fits me.

Well I mean you can, it's not like it's a permanent choice. The general wisdom is that 19km Smolensk isn't the best way to play the bote because you have to give up more useful mods and / or talents, but if it works for you, great.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 26, 2020

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Der Shovel posted:

Well I mean the Venezia is a good cruiser, no doubt about that, probably the best tech tree T10 cruiser at least before the Alexander Nevsky and Petropavlovsk were added. Super accurate long range SAP is a motherfucker.

But it's not brokenly good, IMO.

Well I mean you can, it's not like it's a permanent choice. The general wisdom is that 19km Smolensk isn't the best way to play the bote because you have to give up more useful mods and / or talents, but if it works for you, great.

Venezia is an absolute motherfucker if you like DDs though. It hits like a truck and doesn’t seem to miss often.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CitizenKain posted:

Venezia is an absolute motherfucker if you like DDs though. It hits like a truck and doesn’t seem to miss often.

At this point I'm starting to think a DD ran over the Lesta CEO's dog at some point or something, because all of their recent changes and additions seem laser focused on loving DDs over royally.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

For example, not having 19km range on the smolensk strikes me as something detrimental since i seem to own the only smol that shoots 16.6. Every single other one i encounter has 19km and i feel tempted to respec into that and see if it fits me.

Most Smolensks have 19 km range, but people that play the Smolensk tend to be morons so they aren't really an example to follow.

Smolensk is fast and has smoke so it's easy to be within 16.6 km of an enemy all game. If you are, range mod does nothing for you and you might as well take torpedo reload mod.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Der Shovel posted:

At this point I'm starting to think a DD ran over the Lesta CEO's dog at some point or something, because all of their recent changes and additions seem laser focused on loving DDs over royally.

I bet he likes sailing in a straight line in a BB.

I’ve been playing the Vasteras a bit, and it’s so situational on when it works. Is there a CV that leaves me alone, and non-gunboat DDs around? About to have a good game. A single CV will just poo poo on it though, since you don’t have smoke, and don’t have the speed of a French dd to run from things.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just got a 30% discount voucher cause appearently its been a year since i joined.
Looks like that one only applies to hard cash items though.

Is there any absolute must-have?
I kinda dont wanna buy a pixelboat for real money, on the other hand i dont wanna waste this once-in-a-lifetime-deal for what is absically free real estate!

Or simply get a year of premium

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just got a 30% discount voucher cause appearently its been a year since i joined.

I kinda dont wanna buy a pixelboat for real money, on the other hand i dont wanna waste this once-in-a-lifetime-deal for what is absically free real estate!

Premium is the best value. Or a pile of doubloons.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

It's not so much DDs as a whole, as it is stealthy/torpedo-focused DDs that they just continuously gently caress over. The DD hate didn't stop them from releasing Kleber and it's incredibly stupid AP shells, after all.

CVs completely poo poo on them of course, but CVs completely poo poo on everyone even if DDs are the ones who get it the worst.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

It's not so much DDs as a whole, as it is stealthy/torpedo-focused DDs that they just continuously gently caress over. The DD hate didn't stop them from releasing Kleber and it's incredibly stupid AP shells, after all.

CVs completely poo poo on them of course, but CVs completely poo poo on everyone even if DDs are the ones who get it the worst.

They haven't done anything specifically bad to torpedo boats in quite a while. Venezia isn't really an issue if you aren't trading aggressively with enemy DDs or shooting in open water. CVs ruin torpedo boats because they're destroyers, but at least you can torpedo people without putting an icon on the minimap, and torpedo boat smoke is pretty low value so you can afford to use it for rocket planes. The torpedo detection module griefs Yueyang players, but anyone playing Yueyang with 4 second main gun reload is griefing themself anyway and battleships running torpedo detection instead of concealment probably aren't intelligent enough to dodge torpedoes spotted from 1.8 km.

The problem with torpedo boats is a lot simpler. Torpedoes are fundamentally not a great weapon because they're too easy to avoid. Making torpedoes universally effective results in ships that are braindead and unfun to play against balanced and fun because they aren't russian, like the Benham and Kamikaze. Wargaming has buffed a lot of the old notoriously bad torpedo boats to the point that they're viable, but mostly not by buffing the torpedoes.

There's another issue that DDs with worse torpedoes tend to be strong, because pubbies play every destroyer as a gunless shimakaze, but that doesn't adversely affect torpedo boats and they can even benefit (gunboat Yugumo, German DD HE penetration buff).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I seem to have missed something and now I'm confused. I seem. To have a Moskva that's not in the tech tree anymore and no tech tree Soviet Cruiser anymore?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, the Soviet cruiser tree was retooled in the last patch. They turned the Moskva into a coal premium (which everyone who previously owned a Moskva got for free), and replaced it at the top of the current tree with the Alexander Nevsky, a light cruiser. You don't get that for free, you have to unlock it with free XP or by playing the Dmitri Donskoi.

Additionally at T8 the Soviet cruiser tree also splits into the new heavy cruiser like, with the Tallinn, the Riga and the Petropavlovsk. Currently the only way to get them was to participate in pre-release lootbox shenanigans, but the full tree is going into the game in the next update.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Long term best value is to buy like 30k doubloons then buy a year of premium with doubloons when it is half-off ingame, plus any premium ship you want in the armoury with a 25% off voucher.

Thread: How long does it take to do the legendary module missions? And is there any compensation if you have bought the module in the RB? I have a bunch of these missions but most of the modules hardly seem worth it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Ablemare does not like being tiered up at all, it just explodes as soon as a Stalingrad looks at it funny.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Aramoro posted:

The Ablemare does not like anything

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aramoro posted:

The Ablemare does not like being tiered up at all, it just explodes as soon as a Stalingrad looks at it funny.

And it doesn't really get any better from there. The tier numbers increase, but the Drake and Goliath still blow up as soon as someone looks at them funny.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ok, I have a million fxp. What buy?

I have Puerco Rico, so Alaska gets a lower opinion here.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Missing Name posted:

Alaska is amazing, don't pass it by. Friesland is okay for a pan-european trainer if you don't have one.

What other choices are still around?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
British cruisers aren't as bad as their reputation, but the gameplay is boring since you're mostly just a punching bag with a million hp. Albemarle and Goliath have the Neptune/Minotaur stepped citadel, so anything that overmatches your side armor (27 mm on Albemarle, 30 mm on Goliath) can citadel you even angled. If they don't overmatch your side armor you can angle and tank really well with the Minotaur heal.

Tier 10 is unpleasant since everyone plays at long range and all the battleships overmatch you, but that said a Stalingrad is your best tier 10 cruiser matchup. If you angle its AP does nothing, and you have a superheal for the HE damage. You might not kill it 1v1 since tier 8 to 10 is still a pretty big gap, but British cruisers are a Stalingrad counter and that applies even if you're lower tier.

Missing Name posted:

Alaska and Friesland are very good. Alaska plays very similarly to the Puerto Rico, but it's stronger for its tier (mostly because the average tier 9 cruiser is much worse than the average tier 10 cruiser). Friesland is pretty much a smoke HE spammer, but more interesting to play than most of them.

Azuma is designed for sitting at 19 km all game and probably ok if you want to do that. Nobody plays it so you can be unique I guess. Agir is apparently decent, but not a very efficient use of resources since Alaska is an overpowered well balanced american ship with a similar role. Nelson is okay if you really want a tier 7 battleship.

If you have to ask what 1 million fxp ship to buy, don't save for a 2 million fxp ship.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alaska is awesome. It’s really a T9.5 and because T9 boats almost always have a better matchmaking experience than T10 boats it’s worthwhile. The Friesland is also kinda fun but requires a bunch of getting used to before you can do anything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The primary skill for playing Friesland is knowing when to cut and run, because if you push the limit a second too far you'll either be too slow to escape the deadlier gunboat/radar cruiser, or get your poo poo pushed in by something big that doesn't have to worry about the torpedoes you don't have.