Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Sekiro is a lot less like Soulsbournes than it first appears, and it won't really click unless you stop trying to play it like one

You don't have builds and the rpg mechanics are basically removed entirely. Instead of having numerous esoteric mechanics that you can choose to engage with or not, Sekiro revolves entirely around your mastery of the sword/parry/unblockable attack mechanics. Your arm is helpful, but you're not doing poo poo without those basic mechanics.

It's easily the most pure and polished soulsbourne and the difficulty curve is loving masterful, but if you don't want to study the blade, you're not going to have fun because that's like the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of Harley Quinn thanks to the recommendations in this thread.

I had no idea what to expect other than a few people in here saying it was good.

Holy moly. That whole opening with the brutality and swearing completely blindsided me. I think I watched the whole episode mouth agape. What an amazingly funny and different take on things! It is phenomenal!

:D

Is it streaming elsewhere besides DC's proprietary service?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there any word on demon's souls gameplay updates or is it just a super beautiful plod along?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

They're adding something called 'Fractured Mode' but havent said what it is exactly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sonic and Knuckles-style add-on with that South Park game

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

MechaSeinfeld posted:

They're adding something called 'Fractured Mode' but havent said what it is exactly.

I believe it said it was just a performance mode, like better/solid 60 FPS vs graphics.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

veni veni veni posted:

Yes. But that is not to say there isn't a lot of violence and gore. I don't think anything I've seen is much worse than what appeared in the first game though. The emphasis on "this is the hate game it a big violent hate fest" is extremely off base and it is as thoughtful and endearing as the first game. Maybe more so. But yes there is still a lot of throats getting cut and heads getting smashed along the way.

One of the few reviews I read had a complaint regarding Ellie ruthlessly murdering people without breaking a sweat, but totally breaking down in a scripted cutscene after killing some "random" goony, claiming it was a huge juxtaposition. I guess that reviewer didn't bother to think why Ellie would be vulnerable to an emotional breakdown at that particular moment. Just a video game reviewer plowin' through that multi-million dollar game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

enojy posted:

One of the few reviews I read had a complaint regarding Ellie ruthlessly murdering people without breaking a sweat, but totally breaking down in a scripted cutscene after killing some "random" goony, claiming it was a huge juxtaposition. I guess that reviewer didn't bother to think why Ellie would be vulnerable to an emotional breakdown at that particular moment. Just a video game reviewer plowin' through that multi-million dollar game.

Lol they missed the point of that scene entirely. Sounds par for the course for a game reviewer.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://youtu.be/ibDHyb7NIiE

Sekiro good (minor miniboss spoilers)

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Imhotep posted:

I believe it said it was just a performance mode, like better/solid 60 FPS vs graphics.

ohh. I read it as it featuring 'Fractured Mode, as well as a choice between framerate/graphics'.

I was kinda hoping they were adding a randomiser/hardcore mode.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

BB = Sekiro > DS3 > the rest for me.

This post is like one of those perfect scientific equations for me, like relativity or euler's jewel, 26 perfectly arranged alpha numeric characters

acksplode
May 17, 2004

enojy posted:

Why is Rambo crying after he killed so many people with no apparent problem? Tonal whiplash much??

I just finished TLOU2, and I'm not able to sit back and appreciate what I just experienced, because I can't stop dwelling on the dogshit stupid leak drama and some of the really unfair reviews. How thematic!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Imhotep posted:

Why does a ps3 remake need a performance mode?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

acksplode posted:

Why is Rambo crying after he killed so many people with no apparent problem? Tonal whiplash much??

I just finished TLOU2, and I'm not able to sit back and appreciate what I just experienced, because I can't stop dwelling on the dogshit stupid leak drama and some of the really unfair reviews. How thematic!

Big same. At least I have the PS4 and BP TLOU threads to chat about the game in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Because you can disable ray tracing and some other stuff for 60. The environmental detail looks insane.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
TLOU2 is very, very good. I didn't read the leaks but had some concerns about the need to continue the story and some of the previews shown but so far (about 15 hours in) it has been a hell of an experience.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enojy posted:

One of the few reviews I read had a complaint regarding Ellie ruthlessly murdering people without breaking a sweat, but totally breaking down in a scripted cutscene after killing some "random" goon, claiming it was a huge juxtaposition. I guess that reviewer didn't bother to think why Ellie would be vulnerable to an emotional breakdown at that particular moment. Just a video game reviewer plowin' through that multi-million dollar game.

This is so vague and I sacrificed sleep because I was so gripped by the game to see it through the end that I can't remember when that was. The one example that comes to mind is a named important character but two die in that scene so I just cannot remember when that happened.

Anyway, did a single leak or doomsaying review mention these awful jumps that Ellie's got? She's getting like three inches of air on a jump here, what is going on?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Can she swim now, or are small areas of water still used to pen her in for gameplay reasons?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can she swim now, or are small areas of water still used to pen her in for gameplay reasons?

She can swim. Actually a cool battle in the game lets you use flooded areas to emerge from water like a total psycho to kill people.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

JBP posted:

BB = Sekiro > DS3 > the rest for me.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This post is like one of those perfect scientific equations for me, like relativity or euler's jewel, 26 perfectly arranged alpha numeric characters

Agree.

Few games are as satisfying to play as Sekiro. Bloodborne is just fantastic.

While I love DS 1 and played a lot of DS 2, the third one is an overall better experience and nowadays I'd rather play it than the others. Also, never played Demon's Soul so I'm extremely hyped for the remake :woop:. (Still waiting for some news on Elden Ring, give us something FROM :negative:)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Why wouldn't it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It would be dope if the existence of a performance mode with fewer bells and whistles meant that they were making a PS4 version alongside the PS5 and that they would be crossplay, but I do not see that happening. It's too bad, too, because I foresee hardware shortages coming the PS5's way given what other hardware shortages are currently going on (Nintendo Switch, monitors, certain PC components).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrNutt posted:

It would be dope if the existence of a performance mode with fewer bells and whistles meant that they were making a PS4 version alongside the PS5 and that they would be crossplay, but I do not see that happening. It's too bad, too, because I foresee hardware shortages coming the PS5's way given what other hardware shortages are currently going on (Nintendo Switch, monitors, certain PC components).

Switch seems like a fuckup but isn't the rest of this due to sudden unforeseeable demand to work from home?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They aren't making a PS4 version

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JBP posted:

Switch seems like a fuckup but isn't the rest of this due to sudden unforeseeable demand to work from home?

Well I mean it's all related to people being home all the time, business and pleasure.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They aren't making a PS4 version

Look, I know the reality but I just want to play an awesome looking updated version of Demons Souls without dropping 400-600 dollars on a new console. hosed up of them to skip a gen imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A small price to pay for perfection

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrNutt posted:

Well I mean it's all related to people being home all the time, business and pleasure.

Switch has been low stock for what feel like a year. I mean more that Sony should be able to order sufficient units of this specific thing. It's also probably going to cost a fortune.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

DrNutt posted:

hosed up of them to skip a gen imo

You might as well ask why Knack didn't get ported to PS3, why Oblivion didn't get ported to PS2, why Timesplitters didn't get ported to PS1

Sometimes you need the power of a new console to do things you couldn't before.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Seedge posted:

You might as well ask why Knack didn't get ported to PS3, why Oblivion didn't get ported to PS2, why Timesplitters didn't get ported to PS1

Sometimes you need the power of a new console to do things you couldn't before.

I feel like this is a lot less true for a remake of a PS3 game that is already going to have built in scalability options, but go off king.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Demon's Souls remaster needs the Ray Tracing powers of the PS5 so that you can see a reflection of yourself and come to the realisation that you don't get jokes

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

DrNutt posted:

Look, I know the reality but I just want to play an awesome looking updated version of Demons Souls without dropping 400-600 dollars on a new console. hosed up of them to skip a gen imo

Right, but you're not going to get that. It's not hosed up for a remaster to skip a gen. That's not a thing.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 23, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I like books that are hard to read AND i like games that are hard to play. Tell me I'm sexy.

What about games that are hard to read

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

DrNutt posted:

I feel like this is a lot less true for a remake of a PS3 game that is already going to have built in scalability options, but go off king.

Next you're gonna try to tell me they could have made The Last Of Us Remastered work on a PS3 if they wanted to, ha, can you imagine

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I demand all games run better on macs.

Ah, they are, again, worse now. Alas.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 23, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

You understand it’s a ground-up remake? Not just a remaster.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fix posted:

I demand all games run better on macs.

Ah, they are, again, worse now. Alas.

Enjoy running Bootcamp through Rosetta 2 :getin:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

You understand it’s a ground-up remake? Not just a remaster.

The argument stands that you could just make it scale, but this baby needs to move units.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RareAcumen posted:

This is so vague and I sacrificed sleep because I was so gripped by the game to see it through the end that I can't remember when that was. The one example that comes to mind is a named important character but two die in that scene so I just cannot remember when that happened.

Anyway, did a single leak or doomsaying review mention these awful jumps that Ellie's got? She's getting like three inches of air on a jump here, what is going on?

I dunno the specific scene the review had in mind, but it came to mind at the hospital with Nora, given Ellie's dream the night before, and what takes place there. If the reviewer didn't get the hoopla in the scene you mentioned then gor help them!

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 23, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

She freaks out in that scene because she realised Mel was pregnant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

She freaks out in that scene because she realised Mel was pregnant

Oh, well yeah, that's extremely obvious. I was just saying that the way they described it was so vague and I ravenously sprinted through the game that I thought I was forgetting her big emotional collapse. But yeah, that's super easy to understand. I was thinking of that same part of the game and I said 'but that can't be it, because Owen and Mel are named important characters and not random goons, not to mention that two- or three if you want to be really grim about the facts of the matter- people die there.