Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the last of us is bad. i dont need to play it to know this anymore than i need to see face/off to know that face/off sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
TLOU2 looks like the sort of game I'd like if I was of average intelligence.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't have a console so I'll never get to play it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I have no desire to play TLOU2. Just looks like absolute wank to me

Cool beans.

e: I just realized that's a most unappetizing dish.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 23, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zzulu posted:

I don't have a console so I'll never get to play it

Finally a good argument for being a PC gamer.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its good but the first one is better

its nothing worth getting super mad and review bombing though

Shibawanko posted:

the last of us is bad. i dont need to play it to know this anymore than i need to see face/off to know that face/off sucks

face off is a terrible example because its a pretty good movie

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shibawanko posted:

Face/off will rock your face right 'off' it's skull

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
But enough about TLOU2 being bad, this is the unpopular opinions thread

Waltzing Along posted:

a brutal self-own

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Cool beans.

e: I just realized that's a most unappetizing dish.

Everything I've heard about TLOU2 from people who like and dislike it is that the actual gameplay has not changed much at all from the first one, which I did not care for. I dont give a poo poo about the narrative (not exclusive to TLOU, the story in any game is of minor importance to me), so tell me again why I should want to play this game?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Everything I've heard about TLOU2 from people who like and dislike it is that the actual gameplay has not changed much at all from the first one, which I did not care for. I dont give a poo poo about the narrative (not exclusive to TLOU, the story in any game is of minor importance to me), so tell me again why I should want to play this game?

i mean, i like it because of the violence and gore mainly

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Face/off will rock your face right 'off' it's skull

it's a movie where a face comes off

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Seeing Danny Masterson get his rear end kicked for attempting to rape a woman is some timely entertainment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

This is absolutely dead wrong. The gameplay has been overhauled from every end although it feels true to the first game at the same time. Remember who told you to ditch DS2 and play 3 :cool:

That said if you are that averse to narrative maybe it's not the best game for you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Your opinion was that it looks like wank. What does any of this have to do with that opinion?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'll definitely play The Last of Us 2 when it comes down in price and I'll take a couple of weeks to complete it and have a really good time

Don't trust anyone who says they've finished it already. It came out on Friday, it's Tuesday morning. If your playing a 30 hour game that quickly I'd suggest your opinion of it is maybe a bit skewed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A bunch of goons have finished it, but it's clear not a single person who is hating on it here has actually played it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
To be honest, it's gotten to the point where whenever gamers review-bomb a game or complain about "social justice themes" I just tune it the gently caress out.

Some shut-ins cannot be reasoned with because they cut off contact with people that hard.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I wish I could sit and play a 30 hour video-game over a weekend without hating myself

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I wish I could sit and play a 30 hour video-game over a weekend without hating myself

Same. Although tbf most of the people I've been talking to that finished it are normally not the poopsocking type and just went abnormally ham on TLOU2. I'm still only like about way through myself but I am sort of blown away by how good it is.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

This is absolutely dead wrong. The gameplay has been overhauled from every end although it feels true to the first game at the same time. Remember who told you to ditch DS2 and play 3 :cool:

That said if you are that averse to narrative maybe it's not the best game for you.

I think the difference is that I enjoy the core gameplay of dark souls where ds2 is just a poor implementation of it. I dont enjoy the core gameplay of TLOU so I'm skeptical of even a good implementation of it

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Your opinion was that it looks like wank. What does any of this have to do with that opinion?

Wank is a very broad term

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yeah certainly gonna pick it up when its down in price, not because I don't really want to play it but the amount of times recently I've bought a game full price and then not actually sat and played it for months is starting to irritate me. I'm only just getting round to playing Judgement and its half the price as when I bought it almost a year ago

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i just really dont like narrative cinematic games or third person especially with stealth

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I think the difference is that I enjoy the core gameplay of dark souls where ds2 is just a poor implementation of it.

The biggest gripe I have in 2 is how fast your stamina drains from running, it's a huge gently caress you compared to the first one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything in DS2 is all off. It feels weightless and looks stupid. it's ugly when all of the other games look good. It really feels like a knockoff game. A good knockoff but it's really only beloved by people who don't seem to care about the gameplay or art direction in dark souls and just want to play a game with a lot of content.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

there's something about the sword slashes in dark souls 2 that make feel like i'm hitting fools with a baseball bat instead of cutting them up

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I can get people liking Dark Souls 3 and comparing it favorably to the first one. I really don't get people saying the same about 2 though. If anything its nice that it didn't feel like it was following the exact same formula and that it felt unique rather than being a DS1 expansion pack but the world design is so awful in DS2.

A big part of what made the first DS so memorable was how well constructed the world felt, DS2 seems to abandon this in favor of striking vistas separated by literally feature-less corridors. Its a big part of why I just couldn't enjoy that game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Somewhere there is a meltdown brewing about more dark souls posts!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ds3 sucks, ds2 owned until the dlc. I thought I didn't like ds2 when I played it, but then I realised I cleared like 100 hours (oh to have basically infinite free time again) on it and yeah, I was actually having a lot of fun.

I think the depends what you're looking for in terms of gameplay loop. Each game has its good and bad, I like 1 and 2, but didn't like 3.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The design of the ps4 console is stupid, I don't know why the top of the console juts out over the hdmi and power cable slots, it makes trying to swap cables a pain in the rear end, if they'd designed it the other way around you could easily see the slots without having to pick up the console

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The last of us looked very boring 7 years ago so I never played it (also I don't have a console)

The last of us 2 looks very boring so I'll never play it (also I don't have a console)

It looks like a very basic zombie game with really impressive animations

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zzulu posted:

It looks like a very basic zombie game with really impressive animations

no thats left for dead except instead of impressive animations they put in pea shooter noises for the guns

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Last of Us 2 has really impressive and large environments to explore even in completely linear sections

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The problem I have is that I very much enjoyed TLOU, but it left me feeling like I never wanted to go back there again, and, I kind of felt like that was on purpose, like that was the kind of central theme of the game, going into denial and moving on? It feels like there being a sequel at all just at face value flies in the face of that? And, I don't mean "There shouldn't be a sequel because it lessens the impact" or anything artistically, I mean the first game taught me to not want a second game, so it seems weird there is one at all? I suppose really I should have realised the jig was up when they remastered it and asked me to go back to eat EXACTLY THE SAME pile of sick.

Again, I thought it was a great game, I just felt like a LOT of the quality came from overcoming adversity in a way that leaves you feeling drained, not energised at having completed it, and that the intent was to wear you down and then kick you in the teeth when you're beat. It feels .... odd to choose to go back to it?

That the tone is totally different doesn't surprise me. gently caress I'm probably going to get it just because there's not a lot else out there on PS4 right now.

Edit: Oh, also Soulschat: Two was amazing because it wasn't just more of the same and was very much it's own game with it's own weirdness. 3 was really polished and probably the 'best', but it was purely 'more of the same done well' and so I couldn't really care about any of it. I honestly only remember two parts, one bit was a nondescript swamp, but I got invaded by like 5 people or something mad, and that was quite cool, and another bit because while I was there my friend said on Facebook he thought the ending was bad and I couldn't believe he'd finished it already, so, it's more the facebook thing than the game that I remember, I just remember where I was at the time. I remember literally nothing else of the game. So, like, yeah, well made, good, well done. Who cares. DS2 though was full of rambunctious poo poo that ruled.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 23, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

That's the thing that annoys me the most about TLOU2. The one thing I really did appreciate about the first game was that it ended on an open-ended question but apparently Neil Druckman didnt feel his audience was clever enough for that so he went ahead and tried to answer it for them

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Somewhere there is a meltdown brewing about more dark souls posts!

Not really a meltdown, more working on a time machine so I can forcibly sterilise the parents of all From Software emplyees before they're born. It may sound harsh, but I think the world will be better for it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

i just really dont like narrative cinematic games or third person especially with stealth

Or excellent action movies, apparently

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

like four years ago I said TLoU feels like naughty dog trying to punish me for something I did not do, and it sure looks like TLoU2 followed hard on that theme

(tlou2 ending spoilers)
HAHAHA OUR MAIN CHARACTER PLAYS GUITAR TO COPE NOW BETTER HAVE HER LOSE FINGERS IN THE ENDING AFTER SHE ALREADY LOST EVERYTHING ELSE HAHAHA

cool, cool, have fun(?) with that I guess

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 23, 2020

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

TLOU2 is dumb as hell considering that pappy mcmurderface killed all the people who could have saved humanity. Now it's just mcmurderkid's bogus adventure. Before the stans come out, I played TLOU and it was a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

d3lness posted:

Before the stans come out, I played TLOU and it was a slog.

Relax, there's just one and they really like playing the "You can't have that opinion if you acsktually played the game!" card every time someone doesn't like a game they like. It's a running theme among certain posters.

I also played TLOU and hated it.