Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dan Didio posted:

There was a chance just due to the unprecedented condition Ellie was in, but the surgeon seems pretty confident they'll be able to replicate it in lab conditions.

Right I thought there was a higher chance of it being a failure for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

JBP posted:

Right I thought there was a higher chance of it being a failure for some reason.

Probably because it takes place in a building that's mostly as grimy and dingy looking as the rest of the world with a group that get Ellie and waste no time at all trying to cut her open.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zerilan posted:

Probably because it takes place in a building that's mostly as grimy and dingy looking as the rest of the world with a group that get Ellie and waste no time at all trying to cut her open.

That's probably it. It certainly seemed slap dash.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tero0sRNi8U

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
We also literally never see or hear of anything the Fireflies do that isn't a complete failure that gets everyone involved killed, leaving players inclined not to trust that this cure business would actually work.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The last half of the game is the scene from mgs3 with all the dead ghosts you killed, only 12 hours long and still in a bad game

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Real hurthling! posted:

The last half of the game is the scene from mgs3 with all the dead ghosts you killed, only 12 hours long and still in a bad game

Also you can't kill a man, wait for a vulture to start eating his corpse, then kill and eat the vulture for some indirect cannibalism.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's hard to beat Kojima for knowing how to make a video game special.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

*codec beeps*

Ellie, Tommy here. It seems you've lost two fingers, you'll be less effective at holding your knife in CQC so be careful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Kinda hard to say who deals with their abandonment issues in a worse way, Big Boss or Ellie.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

*codec beeps*

Ellie, Tommy here. It seems you've lost two fingers, you'll be less effective at holding your knife in CQC so be careful.

This is good.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Kinda hard to say who deals with their abandonment issues in a worse way, Big Boss or Ellie.

Big Boss, without question. He hosed the entire planet up for over 50 years.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

Big Boss, without question. He hosed the entire planet up for over 50 years.

Dude, at least Big Boss had a proper business plan.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think you can lay most of that at the feet of the support team than on ol' BB, anyway. It wasn't his genius idea to try control the war economy by way of 50s era AI copies of their own personalities.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gzi2ceBqGQ

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hey remember how Metal Gear Solid V was suppose to be the Breaking Bad of gaming, but Big Boss never even went bad and you didn't even play as Big Boss.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pretty cool comparison. Very cool one might even say.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

lurker2006 posted:

He went farther than just criticizing the typical outcome, he said something that's interactive fundamentally cannot be art, even an idealistic example of one where thousands of man hours aren't spent on technical details with no profit motive.

There was a really good talk at GDC a few years ago that went into this and explained what definition of art he was using, including how video games are basically kitsch. The whole talk is worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvZhRin-plA

punk rebel ecks posted:

What would you say is the "Citizen Kane" of music albums?

It's always interesting that people use "well what's the Citizen Kane of X" as a sort of rhetorical question, since of all the classic movies you could pick, that's probably the one that has the strongest basis for making comparisons. Citizen Kane's real achievement was the level of technical innovation and creation of new film techniques that have a massive lasting impact on films to this day. It is not remembered because it had a particularly great story. It's hard to point to a single game equivalent because so many innovations are spread across multiple games and are genre specific. It's like saying "Seinfeld is the Citizen Kane of sitcoms". You can certainly make a case for some games here, like "Doom is the Citizen Kane of FPS games" or "PUBG is the Citizen Kane of battle royales".

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I kept waiting for a plot point about Abby hulking out. I guess they just made her huge so you could see how rough she was at the very end.

I wish we’d learned more about the Seraphites. My first thought was that “the prophet” may have been people hearing rumors of Ellie and a cult forming around that idea of a savior, but I think there was some dialogue from a WLF member that spoke to the actual prophet in a holding cell.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm actually curious, why is there such a visceral drive from people that they actually seem angry about this game or want to knock the developers down with hyperbole and ad hominems?

I completely get if someone's played the game and didn't like it, that's fine

But there's also people coming into the thread who are asking to "confirm" out of context details so they can have their hate for the game validated or something, and having bad hot takes from second hand criticisms

There just seems to be a serious drive for people to want to get in on a mob mentality of hate (lol ironic considering the themes of the game on this one) well beyond just not liking the game and I don't really understand why (beyond criticism of ND's work culture which is a more widespread problem with game development anyway), and I legitimately don't understand it. Like people are actively seeking and cherrypicking reasons to be mad

I played the first game and loved it, people wrote off that games story pretty hard as being generic but the characters were likeable enough that I went away with positive impressions of it. Never played multiplayer as that wasn't my thing but when it was time for me to retire my PS3 I actually mailed it to a friend with a few of my games- TLOU included

I was in the camp of 'give me more stories in this world, just not Ellie and Joel I like that ending'. So roll around to it getting announced with a grizzled Ellie and nothing else I just let out this heavy sigh of "I sure hope they don't gently caress this up also Joel is probably dead". From there I was still willing to give it a shot- no reason not to, but each trailer focused more and more on graphic murders or boring cutscenes and just nothing hooked me. Hell I didn't even know if the zombies were around because they were showing such a little amount of gameplay. Did they all die out like the first game implied?

I would be GENUINELY excited to see a game where the fungal zombies just didn't exist anymore due to dying out and perhaps a story about human life returning to these dilapidated cities, how people would try to go back to normal while others wouldn't- maybe that's why there were so many scenes that seemed to be in 'normal' areas? I dunno I kinda made this part up in my head when I was bored watching yet another cutscene of nothing interesting going on in a trailer.

Still, the game just seemed to be on a more slippery slope as things went on- then Naughty Dog got outed for crunch and the unethical practice of using liveleak footage and loving up its employees just to get blood to splatter just right in a video game. Then Druckmann continued being himself with "we don't say fun around here" and I was totally off boat.

The leak happened and videos were hard to find but "Joel dies, then Ellie dies because they're both bad people and they ran across a unreasonably buff lady" and I was just 'oh gently caress off naughty dog'. Then I saw Ellie get her poo poo kicked in and was told this was her death scene- Abby holding a knife to a pregnant womans throat and going GOOD at the idea of getting a double kill and it just made me mad.
The stitched together plot synopsis and everything just made me more angry that Druckmann would smash the characters I liked into the ground for this, let alone damage his team of people over such a stupid misery inducing story.

I had no intentions of buying the game but did it really end with a sequel hook with Ellie becoming Big Boss? I wanted to know so I just hung around threads like this as god forbid I try to get details from /v/ or twitter. I felt compelled to chip in my two cents every here or there but as Stux started making GBS threads up the thread more and more I just kinda came back to see when mods would finally step in and shoo out the clown. Now that he's gone I'm far more interested in discussing the air around the game then the game itself. That's basically it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I had no intentions of buying the game but did it really end with a sequel hook with Ellie becoming Big Boss? I wanted to know so I just hung around threads like this as god forbid I try to get details from /v/ or twitter. I felt compelled to chip in my two cents every here or there but as Stux started making GBS threads up the thread more and more I just kinda came back to see when mods would finally step in and shoo out the clown. Now that he's gone I'm far more interested in discussing the air around the game then the game itself. That's basically it.

Ellie becomes a hosed up emotional cripple with no friends and a hosed hand then wanders off into the forests. The end

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It would be kinda cool if it ended with a gunshot and a thump as it cut to black for the last time

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
I do wonder if the build the leaker had ended with the basement scene. That could definitely lead you to conclude that Ellie dies, because her and Dina are both bleeding out on the floor and Tommy is shot in the head, and I'm still not entirely clear on how they get from there to living happily on a farm hundreds of miles away before the rest of the ending happens.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

...damage his team of people over such a stupid misery inducing story.
Now that he's gone I'm far more interested in discussing the air around the game then the game itself. That's basically it.

This is also why I'm interested in discussing it - for me it's a continuation of this premise that quality art requires suffering and must contain suffering, and that premise is being used to justify crunch and other lovely practices. It's like saying good acting is when you cut your hand during a take and keep going.

The level of suffering in a story is also sometimes seen as an indication of how good the story is, which isn't an idea unique to games.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Hobo posted:

This is also why I'm interested in discussing it - for me it's a continuation of this premise that quality art requires suffering and must contain suffering, and that premise is being used to justify crunch and other lovely practices. It's like saying good acting is when you cut your hand during a take and keep going.

The level of suffering in a story is also sometimes seen as an indication of how good the story is, which isn't an idea unique to games.

Quoting a friend of mine on the matter, it's not the suffering, it's the ability of pulling you out of your comfort zone.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Hobo posted:

Not to get too analytical but I think part of this could be cultural from puritan influences on American culture. There's a strong underlying theme that suffering and hurting must fundamentally be good in and of itself, and if something hurts it must be better.

You see it in a lot of random places. I have wondered if part of Crossfit's popularity could be related to the way that doing exercises that hurt you badly just feels like it must be more worthwhile, even if the science says it's less effective.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The original God of War trilogy was about how self-destructive and pointless revenge is. It was also full of suffering and, for the time, grisly depictions of brutal violence. Kratos was also, until the sudden swerve redemption arc in the last game, a fairly unambiguous villain protagonist.
The games were also fun if repetitive and unambitious.

Despite all this, I can't recall them being compared to Schindler's List - or even high art at all!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CountryMatters posted:

Not to get too analytical but I think part of this could be cultural from puritan influences on American culture. There's a strong underlying theme that suffering and hurting must fundamentally be good in and of itself, and if something hurts it must be better.

Is that an America thing? I thought that the trend in American cinema was towards overly saccharine, good guy bad guy, happy ending despite it all (made infamous by the many films that had the studio step in and force a less of a downer final beat). And then you go to Europe for the unrelentingly dire and dour art house stuff. Which I guess makes Americans think it's especially deep because "it's so French!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The original God of War trilogy was about how self-destructive and pointless revenge is. It was also full of suffering and, for the time, grisly depictions of brutal violence. Kratos was also, until the sudden swerve redemption arc in the last game, a fairly unambiguous villain protagonist.
The games were also fun if repetitive and unambitious.

Despite all this, I can't recall them being compared to Schindler's List - or even high art at all!

Press triangle to gently caress

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

plasm posted:

Killing a protagonist and taking the antagonist’s viewpoint has been done to death recently and to me it comes across as a bit lazy.

Can you name a few games that did that? I can't think of one off the tip of my head and quiete frankly, I was pretty floored when I realized they were going for this in TLOU2 - it only fully dawned on me when I opened the character screen and saw that Abby had her own supplement skill progression. Up to that point I thought it was just another interlude like the other flashbacks of her.

Although it would be pointless to name other games, since it would ruin the surprise. So nevermind then.

I guess I'm just a chump who fully fell for it this time, and I mean that in the best way possible. I thought it was a ballsy move that paid off in the long run.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mcbexx posted:

Can you name a few games that did that?
mario and luigi bowser's inside story

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I'm watching a let's play and if TLOU2 was a movie a better comparison would be Drive: bottomless boredom punctuated by graphic violence.

I actually liked Drive though

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

JBP posted:

Ellie becomes a hosed up emotional cripple with no friends and a hosed hand then wanders off into the forests. The end

Imo it's somewhat implied she's going back to Jackson and trying again

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I thought this game was very good

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

doingitwrong posted:

Is that an America thing? I thought that the trend in American cinema was towards overly saccharine, good guy bad guy, happy ending despite it all (made infamous by the many films that had the studio step in and force a less of a downer final beat). And then you go to Europe for the unrelentingly dire and dour art house stuff. Which I guess makes Americans think it's especially deep because "it's so French!"

I think it's certainly the case for working cultures - look at the number of holiday days per year, expectations about standard working hours, and things like maternity leave. Living to work rather than working to live is a common thread in US working life, and an industry like games makes it worse because it relies on a steady line of people willing to overlook all this because "it's my passion and I'm creating great art". I won't be the first person to point out that you could say the film industry is also full of people willing to work long hours for their passion project, and yet they have unions that are there to ensure that that doesn't go too far, and that those people are compensated for those long hours. Of all the insecurities some game studios have about not being seen to be as prestigious as films, that's the disconnect that is really brushed over.

The trend in American cinema vs European cinema might be a reflection of the level of escapism required from that, but I think that's overly broad since you can point to plenty of counterexamples.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Imo it's somewhat implied she's going back to Jackson and trying again

I took it as her fall being absolute and she was leaving.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I'm watching a let's play and if TLOU2 was a movie a better comparison would be Drive: bottomless boredom punctuated by graphic violence.

I actually liked Drive though

Cool congrats on watching someone else play the game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

JBP posted:

Congrats, noone cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

JBP posted:

I mean do you ever play with someone else and take turns? It’s really not a purity test of means