Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

his timeline is just him having meltdown about trans people and the woke police and it's like lunchtime on a Wednesday, does he not have something better to be doing with his life than being terminally angry online?
You know the answer to this one. It's Tuesday though. I had to check too.

I think this is the most delicious part of it, that poll showing the majority of women believe that trans women are women, and glinner has put himself in the "angry transphobe man" camp.

e: Chromosome 9 contains over 130 million base pairs, of which over 85% have been determined. One set of these is DMRT1, doublesex and mab-3 related transcription factor 1, which is involved in making the gonads which produce sex hormones. It is on neither the X nor Y chromosome.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jose posted:

its essentially officially over as of July 4th now

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1275352698930565122?s=20

Yeah, it's just been confirmed.

From BBC:

From 4 July pubs and restaurants will be allowed to open both indoors and outdoors if they put in safety guidelines including table service online.

Other businesses allowed to reopen will be:

Hotels, bed and breakfasts, campsites and caravan parks
Hair salons and barbers but with visors worn
Playgrounds, museums, galleries, theme parks, outdoor gyms and arcades, libraries, social clubs and community centres
However nightclubs, spas, indoor soft play areas, bowling alleys, water parks, indoor gyms, nail bars, swimming pools and water parks will not be able to reopen at this stage.

Reduced to 1m where 2m isn't possible.

Upshot is that it's now going to be possible to open pubs, I'm on a zoom presentation with BrewDog and others as I type: essentially 2m rule reduces capacity to 30% which is impossible for most businesses to open, 2m raises this to around 60-70% capacity which makes many more possible to open.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I can tell you for nowt that most museums will not be reopening then.

Certainly not the big ones.

Though this does mean we probably get a second lockdown in about 2 months after murdering more people so that is "great". loving hell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you open the gates of janus too much the hinges are gonna come off.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I am staying the gently caress indoors until the middle of September and nothing will convince me otherwise. I will simulate the festival experience by sitting in a tent in my garden drinking koppaberg and doing whatever drugs i can score.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

boris is such a bumbling fuckwit

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
At some point though we do need a plan for when it's ACTUALLY safe to go back into pubs again so I can buy a few people drinks in that London

Edit: I mean people from this thread not just my regulars

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Josef bugman posted:

Though this does mean we probably get a second lockdown in about 2 months after murdering more people so that is "great". loving hell.

Perhaps I'm just being cynical and nihilistic, but I feel like in the certainty of an explosion of cases again, government policy will be to just plough through and not implement even the loosest of lockdowns until public outrage is high enough and actively forces their hand (again), and they'll pull a "don't go to work, but you only get paid 60% on furlough" or whatever.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

I hope he gets it again and actually dies this time.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

I wonder where they will draw the line between nightclub and pub

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr Owl posted:

That'll be interesting - I wonder if they'll insist on 11pm closing times. As it gets later and people get drunker they're much worse at distancing anyway, so it would make sense.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Mr Owl posted:

There isn't a line! Typical tories, trying to enforce the vendor binary

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mr Owl posted:

Around 11pm I expect

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Isomermaid posted:

Typical tories, trying to enforce the vendor binary

i want to dislike this post but i can't

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Isomermaid posted:

:lol:

sebzilla posted:

Around 11pm I expect

Also :lol:

[e]:
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1275396695711526913

Yep. Already there to shift the blame on the general public. Again.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 23, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Perhaps I'm just being cynical and nihilistic, but I feel like in the certainty of an explosion of cases again, government policy will be to just plough through and not implement even the loosest of lockdowns until public outrage is high enough and actively forces their hand (again), and they'll pull a "don't go to work, but you only get paid 60% on furlough" or whatever.

This has been my expectation since the original end, they could be doing 1k deaths a day and they still wouldn't willingly go back into lockdown and they absolutely wouldn't reinstate the furlough program.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Is it actually true that Glinner's wife has left him over his idiocy?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pesky Splinter posted:

Pretty much. I think that it's probably going to kill an MP before it goes anywhere though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

He's had the filth come around to his house to warn him off it, so it wouldn't surprise me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

StarkingBarfish posted:

This chunky fucker likes to devour sunflower seeds whole, in-shell:

Bullfinches are some of my favorite birds at the bird feeder. Over here their name means something like lord judge, dunno why they never struck me as judgemental or aristocratic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

:lol:

All straight marriages become gay marriages, your wife gets the autism vaccines and becomes a lesbian, men in kilts steal her and turn her into a man, two dozen men wearing glitter turn your home into a disco, glitter gets everywhere, like you're still finding bits months later. Jews are involved somehow, I think they profit from selling the glitter, this is not antisemitic. This is what Glinner actually believes.

THIS IS THE FUTURE LIBERALS WANT

njsykora posted:

This has been my expectation since the original end, they could be doing 1k deaths a day and they still wouldn't willingly go back into lockdown and they absolutely wouldn't reinstate the furlough program.

Yup, this is a pretty transparently numbers fuckhead move designed to restart the economy at the cost of lives.

I feel so bad for all the shielding people who don't have the luxury my wife and I do of continuing to shield anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gravastars posted:

I hope he gets it again and actually dies this time.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Isomermaid posted:

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1275396064556744708

beep boop real opposition

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
This seems bad, but also unsurprising.

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1275357343019040768

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Christ, the death toll is still 135 a day, what the gently caress are they thinking

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gort posted:

Christ, the death toll is still 135 a day, what the gently caress are they thinking

High enough that it's just a statistic, low enough that it doesn't look like a significant statistic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gort posted:

"If we restart our economy before everyone else we win the economy race which will help the negotiations for future trade deals"

Or something similarly sociopathic.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Humans bad at numbers.

"But we have the NHS an extra £10million" Wow what a big number

135 people a day - wow what a small number

haakman
May 5, 2011
I'll be honest - since my dad passed (Dying is expensive - don't do it) my mind hasn't been on COVID. Is it the case we are coming out too early? Are we likely to spike again? How bad is it going to be?

I trust the UKMT more than other sources (for my sins).

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

So for anyone with a brain, around the end of July is about the time every thirsty amateur will have stopped clogging up the pubs? That 4th of July weekend is gonna be New Years Eve+, none of the Spoons Gammon crowd are going to respect distancing/queueing in the slightest. I can't even see how any of the Soho pubs I drink in being able to operate under these shoddy as gently caress 'guidelines' anyway.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

What it looks like from the ONS data is that Covid has been smothered enough not to currently causing excess deaths in some regions, but in most of the midlands and north it's still active enough any reopening is a fools errand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well the disease is still circulating heavily in the population, and the lockdown was the only thing controlling the spread, because the government was too slow and didn't contain it so now it's everywhere and realistically the only way to fix it is to either lockdown everyone for long enough for it to be almost eradicated (which the government won't pay for, or take the necessary step of telling banks and landlords to gently caress off which would limit the cost) or to just keep killing people until about 50% of the population have had it and become immune or died, at which point the infectivity may be low enough (owing to a lack of viable targets) that it may start to die back naturally.

I would suggest if you want a vision of the future, look back in time at the point where we were at 160 odd deaths per day and climbing, then look forward on the death toll graph to see how the next few weeks will play out, albeit proably slightly slower due to the very scant restrictions still in place and with like, a two week lag time or something due to the incubation period.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 23, 2020

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

His Divine Shadow posted:

Bullfinches are some of my favorite birds at the bird feeder. Over here their name means something like lord judge, dunno why they never struck me as judgemental or aristocratic.

Dompapen is legit one of my favorite scandi words.

Bonus: Last few weeks I've only seen the male around, when previously it was him and his missus visiting the feeder daily. Today, he turned up with his LARGE ADULT SON:

Adolescent bullfinches are huge. Same size as an adult sparrow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Do they resemble a historical judge's or cleric's dress? As with cardinals looking like catholic clergy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

It's Tuesday though. I had to check too.

:negative: a whole extra day until the weekend, how could you do this to me

thespaceinvader posted:

THIS IS THE FUTURE LIBERALS WANT

Yup, this is a pretty transparently numbers fuckhead move designed to restart the economy at the cost of lives.

I feel so bad for all the shielding people who don't have the luxury my wife and I do of continuing to shield anyway.
to be "fair" to them they have literally never pretended otherwise, it's been "business groups" and Tory MPs pushing for it the whole time. even now they have had to go to 1+ m which makes me wonder if they couldn't get sage or whoever to sign off on just dropping it to 1 m

oh well I'm glad the pandemics over and I will be straight down the pub because I "continue to trust in the common sense and the community spirit of the British people to follow this guidance, to carry us through, and to see us to victory over this virus” and definitely keep at least 1 m distance from each other and pay attention to the small print about it actually being 2 m unless you take "mitigations to reduce the risk of transmission", no matter how battered they get

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Do they resemble a historical judge's or cleric's dress? As with cardinals looking like catholic clergy.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Re: pubs/clubs, the (very) large pubco I work for won't be opening any pubs past 11pm for the foreseeable

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

XMNN posted:

to be "fair" to them they have literally never pretended otherwise, it's been "business groups" and Tory MPs pushing for it the whole time. even now they have had to go to 1+ m which makes me wonder if they couldn't get sage or whoever to sign off on just dropping it to 1 m

oh well I'm glad the pandemics over and I will be straight down the pub because I "continue to trust in the common sense and the community spirit of the British people to follow this guidance, to carry us through, and to see us to victory over this virus” and definitely keep at least 1 m distance from each other and pay attention to the small print about it actually being 2 m unless you take "mitigations to reduce the risk of transmission", no matter how battered they get

Don't worry the virus cannot go around corners, settle on your face hair or hands to be later transferred to your mouth nose or eyes, nor can it get into your drink and immediately go straight into your system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Don't worry the virus cannot go around corners

The virus has a dreadful turning circle.