Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I beat Outer Wilds yesterday and was itching for some more space fun today but oh man is this game a hard turn away from the kind of joy Outer Wilds has to it. I had to refund during the tutorial just now when I was going to my "quarters" but I actually just floated into a processing chute and got paid 8 bucks for my body. In the abstract, I can appreciate the humor in that and see how it fits the theme of the game. Jury is still out on whether I enjoy Zero-G salvaging or not, doesn't help that my drifty controller needs a replacement, it was a mild annoyance in Outer Wilds but seems much more consequential here.

I'll have to revisit the game someday when I'm in a mood more open to the dark humor of this mildly-exaggerated reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

bandaid.friend posted:

The things you gotta pull off to get the reactor itself? My game wants me to throw those into the processor, which works fine. However I am told to throw the coolant oven door into the barge, which doesn't work

It's these little brackets around the reactor. You can pull it out without torching them. I can't get them to stick no matter how much space I have, and I've tried on 6 or 7 ships now.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Uh I just lost all my certification progress towards rank 7. This is pretty frustrating

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jarvisi posted:

Uh I just lost all my certification progress towards rank 7. This is pretty frustrating

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. Kinda have to expect some jank with any EA title though. At least with this one you can always butcher more spacebotes.

E: if it makes you feel any better I just grapple-pushed the wrong thing and tossed myself into a furnace like yesterday's garbage

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I always do a low power tap on anything I target before winding up a full-powered push. Cracked way too many helmets on that mistake.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I cut a ship into pieces, but there was a pressurized cockpit. No problem, I told myself. I'll just make a side incision and step away so I don't get garbage shotgunned. Turns out that if the ship section is small enough, the ship just instantly blasts off like a rocket directly into the furnace.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

demota posted:

I cut a ship into pieces, but there was a pressurized cockpit. No problem, I told myself. I'll just make a side incision and step away so I don't get garbage shotgunned. Turns out that if the ship section is small enough, the ship just instantly blasts off like a rocket directly into the furnace.

Lol this owns. Shame it couldn't have shot into the processor instead.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

demota posted:

It is amazing how easy it is for things to go horribly off the rails in this game. I really do hope they put in warships with live ordinance in at some point.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The barge should just be swapped out every so often. If they can remove an entire gecko hulk and all the little shards I exploded off it and then move a fresh new one in overnight, it cant be too difficult to move the barge on when it gets full. It's more efficient for Lynx than losing half the salvage I throw down there.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Either change the barge between shifts, or let us drive the barge :getin:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Either change the barge between shifts, or let us drive the barge :getin:

Hardspace: Bargedriver

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Got my Insutrial Geckos down to only two shifts for a full breakdown. Which feels pretty good.

But I've also seen screenshots of some guy getting 11m single shift, single day Gecko salvage and I have no idea how he's squeezing it all into 15m.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Skippy McPants posted:

Which beams are you talking about? I'm pretty sure everything on the interior skeleton of the Mackerel is aluminum, aside from the top and bottom panels which pop off easy.
I haven't checked to see if it's common because I usually just ignore the beams but I definitely once ran into a Mackerel where some of the beams (the ones directly in line with the airlock on both sides) were nanocarbon, while the rest was aluminum.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Having to pay to get the barge replaced would be the most appropriate solution IMO (thematically, at least).

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Oops, I Salvaged The Barge.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Suggestion: add an alternate fire mode ('push' key?) to the precision beam to instantly burst 50% of your heat capacity into a single point. That would help a lot with vaporizing certain plates (cockpit etc) and the long weld seams holding the inner hull together.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Yeah every time I quit the game my progression resets to 0. I'm pretty annoyed

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Feeling pretty dumb.

I wondered before why can't my grapple push couldn't exert its 20,400 newtons force to push 20,000kg up to 1m/s2. Turns out the grapple strength upgrades are the limit of how much you can push. I thought grapple strength was just how much/how easily you can haul around with with the normal LMB grappling.

Jarvisi posted:

Yeah every time I quit the game my progression resets to 0. I'm pretty annoyed

Jesus, I would neck myself before doing cert 7 -> 8 again. There are some progression errors that stem from the tutorial. Have you tried deleting all your save data

"Known Issues posted:

There may be very rare cases where the user must clear all their save data to troubleshoot an issue
- The user can manually clear all save data from this folder (the folder is hidden by default): %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Blackbird Interactive\Hardspace_ Shipbreaker)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tips & Tricks trailer from Focus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjPF9_k2Lxc

Some good stuff. Can't believe I never realised you can freeze something with coolant then hurl something else at it to shatter it. :negative:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Explosive decompression events can be far more dangerous than they appear. I had a Gecko that I had opened up and mostly depressurized, and peeled off all the outer bits. I was going to cut off the cockpit so I could send that nanocarbon to processing and have easier access to the electronics inside when I noticed the "danger" sign flashing. I don't remember if I had already ripped off the relevant control panel or if I was just feeling lazy, so I made the first cut. The air started hissing out, and I got a lot of hazard signs flashing.

That's when things when disastrously wrong. I don't know what exactly exploded, but the front section of the ship snapped like a twig, snapping to the left at a ninety degree angle. The momentum of this was enough to slam the rest of the Gecko into the back of the berth, and the resulting shock was enough to tear the rest of the front of the ship free, where it ricocheted around and careened directly into a furnace, taking the nanocarbon and electronics with it, with the back half of the ship pointing mostly down and somewhat askew, leaving what could generously be called an awkward angle for reactor extraction.

I'm pretty sure that had I not been in Free Play, I would have died in that catastrophe.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Did anyone notice if the joints react to stress or force at all, or can they only be cut with the laser and will stay together no matter what otherwise?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

Did anyone notice if the joints react to stress or force at all, or can they only be cut with the laser and will stay together no matter what otherwise?

Tested just now--cut points will not break under impact, and can't even be frozen with coolant. If they're under stress it just means their connected objects will go flying off once they're cut.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

They stay together no matter what. I've hand a single aluminum spar holding between two halves of a ship.

Which makes sense. Modeling that kind physics on every single part of the ship seems like it would be an unbelievable amount of work.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 23, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

it is annoying to me that the button to pick stuff up is also the force push button.

i just punted a data drive into the reactor console thing so hard it broke it and the electric sparks made something explode and crash the game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it is annoying to me that the button to pick stuff up is also the force push button.

i just punted a data drive into the reactor console thing so hard it broke it and the electric sparks made something explode and crash the game

working as intended

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Knobb Manwich posted:

F.

Jesus, I would neck myself before doing cert 7 -> 8 again. There are some progression errors that stem from the tutorial. Have you tried deleting all your save data

I'll have to try this! Thanks!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Here's a full Price Listing.

Not gonna waste time picking up those coolant pods anymore. 110 credits? Bah!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

MechaCrash posted:

Explosive decompression events can be far more dangerous than they appear. I had a Gecko that I had opened up and mostly depressurized, and peeled off all the outer bits. I was going to cut off the cockpit so I could send that nanocarbon to processing and have easier access to the electronics inside when I noticed the "danger" sign flashing. I don't remember if I had already ripped off the relevant control panel or if I was just feeling lazy, so I made the first cut. The air started hissing out, and I got a lot of hazard signs flashing.

That's when things when disastrously wrong. I don't know what exactly exploded, but the front section of the ship snapped like a twig, snapping to the left at a ninety degree angle. The momentum of this was enough to slam the rest of the Gecko into the back of the berth, and the resulting shock was enough to tear the rest of the front of the ship free, where it ricocheted around and careened directly into a furnace, taking the nanocarbon and electronics with it, with the back half of the ship pointing mostly down and somewhat askew, leaving what could generously be called an awkward angle for reactor extraction.

I'm pretty sure that had I not been in Free Play, I would have died in that catastrophe.

I think what happens is that if you make any kind of splitsaw cut into a wall with pressure behind it, the wall itself -will- explode violently after a short while due to how the pressure system works. By design it doesn't want to keep track of individual cuts and whether air can technically pass through, and thus just marks any wall with cuts for removal if it's also interacting with pressure, writing it off as the cut negating the structural integrity of the wall I guess.

Opening a door or the outright vaporization of an entire wall segment with the stinger would potentially both be much safer since you're only dealing with the air rush then, not the shower of debris from the wall.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Knobb Manwich posted:

Tips & Tricks trailer from Focus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjPF9_k2Lxc

Some good stuff. Can't believe I never realised you can freeze something with coolant then hurl something else at it to shatter it. :negative:

There are a pair of new ships teased there!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There is some kind of additional explosive component. I’ve had decompression take out undamged panels, even nanocarbon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Here's a full Price Listing.

Not gonna waste time picking up those coolant pods anymore. 110 credits? Bah!

If they're that cheap then it's no worry to use them as freezy bombs instead.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I didn't even know you got money for the little pods. I pick them up to keep them out of the way, because having random little bullshit items floating around in zero-G or microgravity is a good way to run into Problems.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The coolant tanks list at $110/kg, so that’s multiplied by their mass. I’d imagine they’re still less than $1000 per though. They don’t seem to weigh much.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrYenko posted:

The coolant tanks list at $110/kg, so that’s multiplied by their mass. I’d imagine they’re still less than $1000 per though. They don’t seem to weigh much.
The ECU pods are the ones they're talking about that are 110 cause they are like 2/3 kg. The tanks aren't a bad weight price intersection but also don't need to stress if you can't grab them before the hull piece is processed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They mean the small ones you get from the ECU and pick up by hand.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

After about 28 hours I think I've hit my limit with this game. It's really tedious to try and reach level 8 constantly having to individually grapple and shoot electronics into the barge with a 60% bounce rate. The gameplay has gotten repetitive so I think i'll take a break until the next update.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm definitely shelving the game for now, I am having a great time but they said they can't guarantee progression will carry between updates and I'm trying to avoid burning out on the game before it even comes out. I really can't wait to see where they take it from here. It seems like it's sold a lot of copies so hopefully this ended up being more of a hit than they were expecting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

A little moderation on a game like this is probably a great idea;, many of us have been digging into this pretty hardcore this last week for the small amount of content currently present

... feels a bit odd calling it a "small" amount tbh

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've warmed up a bit to the shift timer. I'd still like an option for longer shifts, but it's great for just jumping in and doing 15 minutes now and then when the mood strikes me, knowing that there's a set limit for how long it will take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Anybody have a list of what counts as mechanical or electrical? I feel like there's something I'm missing when I have 2 or 3 left on the work order but can't find anything.