Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I enjoy your rats, and the simple but effective nmm effect.

Thanks! Need to get better photos..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

is this Lightbox any good?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Spudd posted:

How do you make your yellows so, you know, yellow. A lot of mine come out really dull and almost green looking.

Basically, it comes down to "VMC Light Yellow is Real Good." The yellow here is just two thin coats of that (right over the gunmetal undercoat, no less), then a light gloss of contrast Plaguebearer Flesh to green it up a bit.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

That looks like the exact one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TNPZ6HR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheap, works great, can't complain.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Some photos of some of my minis taken in that box:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I picked this one up a while back and it works well. You can adjust the light settings and brightness, where the ones linked earlier don't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

made another rat

Never stop making rats. Just paint rats forever. This advice goes for all miniature painters.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah those are some fine rats

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hell yeah

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

My first painting project in over a year. Happy with the figure and the idea, but not super happy with the execution.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Alokgen posted:

My first painting project in over a year. Happy with the figure and the idea, but not super happy with the execution.

Got to be honest, I don't care for the figure, but you did a great job painting it!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

made another rat

:syoon::syoon:

These are so loving cool and good I can't even take it. The bases are amazing, the weapons look amazing, and the whole thing just flat out pops. It looks like a stylized video game made 3d and I love it.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm still trying to nail down a scheme to use on my plague boys, and accidentally recreated Tarantulus' scheme from Beast Wars. Oops. I can't find the option to change the size of images shared from imgur anymore, and I don't have a light box so the shots are outside and a big overexposed, but it's what I have. Anyway, I'll try to take this as a learning experience. C&C very welcome.

Idk what you are on about. This marine looks freaking rad!! It’s one thing to want to improve your abilities but you seem way too harsh on yourself!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Nebalebadingdong posted:

made another rat

Everything about these are freaking awesome. I love the tasteful but stylized aesthetic of the blues and oranges to push the relative values which adds wonderful saturation to a conventionally otherwise dirty and drab palette.

And of course the bases are next level. Bases add a lot to the overall effect. Are the bases strictly freehand or did you get a patterned base?

Are you going to invest this much quality painting into an army of rats!? All 200 rats necessary for an army?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
X post from Age of Sigmar thread. Quartine painting.

For_Great_Justice posted:

So while in quarinte I picked up my Ogre army I've have back logged.

Rather than post dozens of pictures I made an imgr an just uploaded there.

Eventually my brain said "gently caress it stop idiot" because I was just thinking of getting more but its already a challange to pack it all. Had 1 test game 1 1k over a year ago. Hoping to play them when this is all over.

http://imgur.com/gallery/qPwK7ha

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Alokgen posted:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Got to be honest, I don't care for the figure, but you did a great job painting it!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Everything about these are freaking awesome. I love the tasteful but stylized aesthetic of the blues and oranges to push the relative values which adds wonderful saturation to a conventionally otherwise dirty and drab palette.

And of course the bases are next level. Bases add a lot to the overall effect. Are the bases strictly freehand or did you get a patterned base?

Are you going to invest this much quality painting into an army of rats!? All 200 rats necessary for an army?

Its just freehand. I'm finding that with a little practice these bases can be pretty quick to make.

Also I'm never playing mass battle games again, I'll be using these rats for dungeon crawls and skirmish

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I’m about to jump back into minis painting. Tell me about affordable primer options that aren’t GW.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

djfooboo posted:

I’m about to jump back into minis painting. Tell me about affordable primer options that aren’t GW.

Krylon is most people's go-to for rattlecan primer. It's affordable and found in just about every hardware store, and is one of the safe options for Reaper Bones models.

For airbrush or brush-on, Vallejo and Badger's Stynylrez brand work great. If you live in a place with high humidity, look into gesso; it's a brush-on that shrinks a little and isn't affected by humidity.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Slimnoid posted:

Krylon is most people's go-to for rattlecan primer. It's affordable and found in just about every hardware store, and is one of the safe options for Reaper Bones models.

For airbrush or brush-on, Vallejo and Badger's Stynylrez brand work great. If you live in a place with high humidity, look into gesso; it's a brush-on that shrinks a little and isn't affected by humidity.

Does humidity affect vallejo brush on primer?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I recommend Duplicolor sandable primer to anyone who asks. It leaves a great finish, is reasonably priced, and is available at auto parts stores.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Painted some rusty rusky tanks this weekend. :ussr:

Maybe a little too rusty and dirty looking, but I like it overall.

Still not sure if I'll add numbers or not. I kinda want to paint some Battle of Berlin style stripes and crosses on the turrets.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I mainly prime with whatever spray cans of matt black (or sometimes white or gray) car primers they happened to have in the pound shop.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Does humidity affect vallejo brush on primer?

Not that I'm aware of. It might take longer to dry but it doesn't mess with the finish any.

It's rattlecans you have to watch out for. High humidity can mess up spray primer and create little fuzzies on the surface.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

For_Great_Justice posted:

X post from Age of Sigmar thread. Quartine painting.

Glad to see Im not the only one in this situation. Been painting tons of ogres in quarantine that someday will hopefully see a tabletop outside of my home. Have you thought about painting their eyes? A bit of blue might really pop and give them a creepy look

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Grundma posted:

Glad to see Im not the only one in this situation. Been painting tons of ogres in quarantine that someday will hopefully see a tabletop outside of my home. Have you thought about painting their eyes? A bit of blue might really pop and give them a creepy look

I went with just a bone white but maybe an alternate color would be good. It worked with the mornfang giving bright orange eyes against the grey/black.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Krylon is what I use. I try to have a white, black, and gray can around at all times.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Nothing really beats an airbrush for priming, but the upfront setup cost is insane. Unlike painting with the airbrush, priming with it takes virtually no skill. It's kind of hard to overdo primer as you tend to spread it on real relatively thick and you can clearly see that the model is primed.

You can also think about using an airbrush for vehicles and terrain. My recommended progression for airbrush is priming 》terrain 》vehicles 》minis. If you're not interested in the larger pieces then the airbrush isn't really worth it, imho.

Still with just a little effort you can stencil on geometric patterns, or get interesting fades like these:

I'd recommend buying a cheap Badger airbrush and the cheapest quiet compressor you can find on Amazon if you're interested in giving it a try.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 23, 2020

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Gameko posted:

Nothing really beats an airbrush for priming, but the upfront setup cost is insane. Unlike painting with the airbrush, priming with it takes virtually no skill. It's kind of hard to overdo primer as you tend to spread it on real relatively thick and you can clearly see that the model is primed.

You can also think about using an airbrush for vehicles and terrain. My recommended progression for airbrush is priming 》terrain 》vehicles 》minis. If you're not interested in the larger pieces then the airbrush isn't really worth it, imho.

Still with just a little effort you can stencil on geometric patterns, or get interesting fades like these:

I'd recommend buying a cheap Badger airbrush and the cheapest quiet compressor you can find on Amazon if you're interested in giving it a try.

God those fades are sick :cheersbird:

Good advice re: airbrushing too.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

You aren’t the first person who has recommended starting with an airbrush. How much start cost we talking here?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Honestly if you're in the hobby long term I'd say an airbrush IS worth it even just for priming. It's lightyears ahead of rattlecans or brush-on. It won't even take THAT long to pay for itself if you've been using hobby branded cans instead of Krylon or whatever. Of course if you have one you might as well learn to use it for other stuff.

djfooboo posted:

You aren’t the first person who has recommended starting with an airbrush. How much start cost we talking here?

Depending on the deals you can find I'd say

$50-100 for a decent airbrush
$50-100 for a decent compressor
$75 for a booth
$20 for a respirator (well, the roni' might make finding one difficult)

I wouldn't recommend starting with one though. Learning to brush paint and airbrush at the same time is kind of like learning knit and to skateboard at the same time, the skill sets don't have all that much overlap. I would build up a decent skillset with a brush first. It's also a lot of money to shell out for something you might end up not enjoying/sticking with.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 23, 2020

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

The Moon Monster posted:

I wouldn't recommend starting with one though. Learning to brush paint and airbrush at the same time is kind of like learning knit and to skateboard at the same time, the skill sets don't have all that much overlap. I would build up a decent skillset with a brush first. It's also a lot of money to shell out for something you might end up not enjoying/sticking with.

This is good advice. Don’t splurge on an airbrush until you know if you want to stick with the hobby. The prices are pretty spot on as well. You can save some money on a booth by making your own, which basically means buying a plastic storage booth the adding a fan and exhaust. Plenty of guides for that on the Internet.

If you buy a decent respirator you can even skip the fan, imho, but I’m a known practitioner of questionable contractor techniques. I like to use the respirator while airbrushing and use my booth to keep my work area neat. The exhaust fan I rigged up does pull some fumes and paint but not so much as to make a noticeable difference. I still get the tell tale smell of Vallejo flow improver, and it doesn’t seem less strong with my exhaust in play.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I learned a lot through this process.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Thanqol posted:

I learned a lot through this process.

Looks good! Nice blending on the blade and I like the tattoos! Was it done freehand? My freehand sucks out loud to be quite honest, and I've got some guys waiting to be painted who I think would suit some arm/shoulder tattoos, but as I say I suck at freehand and also they are regulat 32 mm guys rather than this large lad.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

SiKboy posted:

Looks good! Nice blending on the blade and I like the tattoos! Was it done freehand? My freehand sucks out loud to be quite honest, and I've got some guys waiting to be painted who I think would suit some arm/shoulder tattoos, but as I say I suck at freehand and also they are regulat 32 mm guys rather than this large lad.

It was - I followed the tutorial of Vince Ventrulla here. This was also my first time doing freehand like this and putting the brush to the model caused a minor heart attack!

Using an ink and flow improver is key - it is not even slightly like painting with acryllic paints, it makes using a brush almost like using a pen and doing complex designs with a pen is within anyone's range. You can get huge bottles of either from a local arts store, they're great, immense recommends - I'm going to be doing a tonne more of this stuff in the future.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Thanqol posted:

It was - I followed the tutorial of Vince Ventrulla here. This was also my first time doing freehand like this and putting the brush to the model caused a minor heart attack!

Using an ink and flow improver is key - it is not even slightly like painting with acryllic paints, it makes using a brush almost like using a pen and doing complex designs with a pen is within anyone's range. You can get huge bottles of either from a local arts store, they're great, immense recommends - I'm going to be doing a tonne more of this stuff in the future.

I've actually already got a couple of bottles of black and brown ink lying around from making some terrain washes a while back, but no flow improver (If I recall correctly I cheaped out and used a couple of drops of washing up liquid in the washes instead). I'll maybe pick up a bottle when the shops are opened up again. Theres no massive hurry, my backlog of undercoated miniatures is big enough that I dont have to paint the guys with tattoos next or anything. Tbh its big enough that I dont even need to paint them this year, but thats a me problem... I do want to get better with freehand stuff like this, and getting better is tough when I keep chickening out of doing it because I think I'm going to mess up a mini I'm otherwise happy with.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
So I painted some lizards (sorry for the terrible pics again):

Came out better than I expected! Was inspired by R0ckfish's lizards on Goonhammer and thought I'd try something similar but I ran into a bunch of problems.

Originally I wanted to do a red stripe down the back with smaller yellow border stripes, but this quickly turned into a sort of failed blending. It looks really muddy and I don't really understand how I should highlight and shade these scales. I tried both a vallejo red and a flesh wash and neither did anything noticeable. How should I approach this? I think next time I'm just going to do a single red stripe instead, unless anyone has any better ideas for how to make this look good. I also couldn't figure out the leather and straps, so I just slapped some brown on and covered it in washed and called it a day, probably something I need to work on too :v:

I also had the idea to paint the bastiladon like an african bush viper

...but I have absolutely no idea how I would even approach doing something like this without an airbrush.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

You painted good lizards and can be proud of them. :)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Anti-Tachyon posted:

I also had the idea to paint the bastiladon like an african bush viper

...but I have absolutely no idea how I would even approach doing something like this without an airbrush.

Looks like flames. The hotter parts are going to be white/yellow, and the colder parts more red/orange. I'd say the difference is going to be using purple in place of black where you'd see the sooty parts of a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Looks like flames. The hotter parts are going to be white/yellow, and the colder parts more red/orange. I'd say the difference is going to be using purple in place of black where you'd see the sooty parts of a fire.

This implies I have any idea how to do flames :v: but thanks, another thing I need to look into.