Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm Kite-Man, not Soldering Man! I know Soldering Man, but he's not in town!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stargirl continues to be really good. And Stargirl continues to be really dumb. :haw:

And I still like the stepbrother. He's really not contributing anything to the plot, just kind of doing his own thing in the background, but the show is better for having him in it.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I binged all of Stargirl and Doom Patrol this weekend. They are incredibly good. Stargirl is a charming CW show on a good budget and Doom Patrol just loving owns.

I hope the move to HBOMax doesn't kill a ton of DC projects because they are really good when given the chance.

I am all for more of Brendan Frasier going "What the fuuuck" at every turn.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 22, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Stargirl is succeeding on the same premise that Legends of Tomorrow is; everyone is idiots.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tiggum posted:

Stargirl continues to be really good. And Stargirl continues to be really dumb. :haw:

And I still like the stepbrother. He's really not contributing anything to the plot, just kind of doing his own thing in the background, but the show is better for having him in it.

Yea, he's a pretty realistic kid. Plus his behavior is totally consistent with the upheaval in his life.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I wonder what direction they'll go with Artemis. I read her Young Justice depiction is far off the comics one.

I liked the fight choreography this episode, especially when Tigress and Sportsmaster ganged up on someone.

I kind of love the Gambler. He's such a jerk and it will be sweet when he's taken down.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phylodox posted:

I think Stargirl is succeeding on the same premise that Legends of Tomorrow is; everyone is idiots.

If only we could get Matt Letsher to zip in as the Rival and call them idiots.

If only :allears:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Are they using an old Mortal Kombat soundtrack in the opening to stargirl?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hypocrisy posted:

I kind of love the Gambler. He's such a jerk and it will be sweet when he's taken down.

Some menacing hacker types would play some classical music to complement their art.
Other hackers might play some synch techno to demonstrate how futuristic they are.
This douche decided to play Timber by Pitbull.
Though admittedly, I like that song.
Urgh it's already 7 years old.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 22, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

I would watch this.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
My head canon now is that Sportsmaster and Tigress moved to Blue Valley from the Harley Quinn version of Gotham because that's no place to raise a daughter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So is sportsmaster just Casey Jones

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yes.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Azhais posted:

So is sportsmaster just Casey Jones

With the bulk on that costume he looks more like Casey Jones trying to go undercover as a ninja turtle.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Stargirl is so goddamn endearing and Pat is the MVP out of all of them.

"They're going to get themselves all killed!"
"I know, I agree!"
"...I see what you did there."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

He's gonna join the team too, yeah? I reckon he'll end up taking over STRIPES.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He'll end up being the lantern or something

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd forgotten the second Dr. Mid-Nite was a black woman (mainly due to the character not really getting much traction), so it's nice to see they went with her instead of Pieter Cross.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's gonna join the team too, yeah? I reckon he'll end up taking over STRIPES.

This was what the ending of the original Stars and Stripe comic set up but I don't think he appears after that.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Azhais posted:

He'll end up being the lantern or something

Oh my god he’s going to pick up the pen isn’t he?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PantsOptional posted:

Probably, it's not like the new Dr Mid-Nite didn't just wander into Courtney's room and steal the googles, so there's precedent.

Also I'm disappointed that Midnite didn't go into the server room last episode. Not like she was fighting anything. After Sportsmaster and Tigress split up and everyone ran after them, she should have gone the third direction which you'd think the goggles would have directed her to do to trace the signal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PantsOptional posted:

I hope not. Jakeem Thunder was black in the comics so I think they ought to keep that rolling.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Dawgstar posted:

I hope not. Jakeem Thunder was black in the comics so I think they ought to keep that rolling.

The brother mentioned Jakeem in an earlier episode, so they're almost certainly going to go with that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an episode where they show how dangerous the genie can be by having the brother find it first before it gets passed along to Jakeem.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Dr midnite's power literally just being able to see in the dark? I mean, yea he's a doctor too, but like, that's it. Dude can see in pitch black and wears goggles so he's not blinded in regular light. He's like a dollar store version of Riddick.

I haven't watched stargirl yet, so I'm probably missing some giant context.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
His power in this appears to be "invented a pair of googles that are smarter than he is"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wasn't Dr midnite's power literally just being able to see in the dark? I mean, yea he's a doctor too, but like, that's it. Dude can see in pitch black and wears goggles so he's not blinded in regular light. He's like a dollar store version of Riddick.

I haven't watched stargirl yet, so I'm probably missing some giant context.

Originally, Dr. Midnight was blind. Hence, the invention of super duper vision.

I mean it's basically Daredevil's origin so I'm willing to roll with it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I honestly always find Hourman's name hilarious, because It sounds like someones dating profile handle.

I am Hourman69, and ladies, yes I can last an hour.

Heh I like the Gambler listening to Ke$ha while hacking.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 24, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was also great when he called it the 'Hour of Power.'

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hey folks! Me and some others are organizing a discord for animation fans away from SA, given the lowtax situation. Ask here or send me a PM if you want in.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
Is it just me, or is Sportsmaster a much better villain here than he is in the comics? Or is it just that the fight scenes sells him much better than the printed page?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Swollen Member posted:

Is it just me, or is Sportsmaster a much better villain here than he is in the comics? Or is it just that the fight scenes sells him much better than the printed page?

The latter, I think. I don't think anyone took Sportsmaster from the comics seriously just based on his appearance alone, but "Casey Jones Except Can Kill You With a Baseball" is a lot more intimidating.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chokes McGee posted:

The latter, I think. I don't think anyone took Sportsmaster from the comics seriously just based on his appearance alone, but "Casey Jones Except Can Kill You With a Baseball" is a lot more intimidating.

For some reason it does work better here or even in Young Justice.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
It does make him cooler that he's seen The Raid 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LcQcHfal1o

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Young Justice also helped a lot with selling Sportsmaster as an actual physical threat with a gimmick rather than just a gimmick.

The ring being missing for the lantern is interesting, but I imagine it'll just be the ring that Diggle picked up at the end of Arrow and it'll be used as fodder for a crossover.

Project: New America is literally either just a mind control plot or a panopticon. Hook Brainwave up to whatever tech they have and uplink to a satellite and either having him broadcast his mindcontrol to everyone or he becomes able to read everyone in the US at will.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

Young Justice also helped a lot with selling Sportsmaster as an actual physical threat with a gimmick rather than just a gimmick.

The ring being missing for the lantern is interesting, but I imagine it'll just be the ring that Diggle picked up at the end of Arrow and it'll be used as fodder for a crossover.

Project: New America is literally either just a mind control plot or a panopticon. Hook Brainwave up to whatever tech they have and uplink to a satellite and either having him broadcast his mindcontrol to everyone or he becomes able to read everyone in the US at will.

Like some kind of... Big brother? Like an eye? In space?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hey folks! Me and some others are organizing a discord for animation fans away from SA, given the lowtax situation. Ask here or send me a PM if you want in.

I'm certainly in.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Season 2 of Doom Patrol is off to a solid start.

"Squeak, squeak, motherfucker!"

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 25, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wow, three episodes.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Axel Serenity posted:

Season 2 of Doom Patrol is off to a solid start.

"Squeak, squeak, motherfucker!"

That -has- to be Cliff getting his revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Finally finished them all. Doom Patrol is still fantastic. drat it Larry, see your family.