Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IcePhoenix posted:

it's a lot easier for predators to hide in plain sight than you think and I assume friends may miss warning signs as just a funny quirk or something because, well, they're your friends

given the amount of poo poo dudes say to me or joke about with me re: other people and especially women because they assume i'm Just Like Them and 100% agree, i generally have a difficult time ever accepting that they're truly oblivious to their buddies being weird creeps. they probably know what's happening. they just don't want to bother with it or feel like it's fine.

it's all fine, right? absolutely fine. don't rock the boat. just play videogame, be a superstar. it's fine if you're famous. they should feel lucky that they're getting the sort of attention that they are from a famous dota person, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Cool, things are getting worse.

For what's its worth, I had a good time at both events I attended, MLG Columbus and TI7. In Columbus, I spent some time chatting with casters and players and got to hang around back stage and even scrim with the players.

I should also point out that I went to both of these events with my male cousin, because I know it's not safe to do these things on my own. So all of the special places I was invited (probably because I'm female) he was right next to me so I never felt uncomfortable. You basically have to go to these things with a chaperone.

Edit: I just realized that it sounds like I am blaming these women for being alone, and I absolutely am not, I am just saying how loving cynical you need to be to think about your own protection before you can even think about trying to have a good time and enjoy things like a normal human, and that is absolutely hosed up.

nikosoft fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 23, 2020

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

nikosoft posted:

Cool, things are getting worse.

Edit: I just realized that it sounds like I am blaming these women for being alone, and I absolutely am not, I am just saying how loving cynical you need to be to think about your own protection before you can even think about trying to have a good time and enjoy things like a normal human, and that is absolutely hosed up.

You'd have to be a colossal chode to willfully misinterpret you there. Whether they'd been sufficiently educated/assaulted to know to hire bodyguards is irrelevant. Thanks for sharing.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 23, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress it this dude is just going for it and burning all bridges

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr9ltr

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

gently caress it this dude is just going for it and burning all bridges

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr9ltr

my reading of this is that the bridges were burned a long time ago from the other end and to quote grandgrant himself "I guess you reap what you sow"

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/TobiWanDOTA/status/726789797969190914?s=20

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Classic TobiWan showing up to insist he remain the most awful person on the scene.

e: oh lol, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

how long has tobi existed in the scene? i feel he'd give a lot of gold if someone last hits him.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Johnny Joestar posted:

how long has tobi existed in the scene? i feel he'd give a lot of gold if someone last hits him.

like 15 years? hes been round forever

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

tobi loving sucks in every way possible as far as i can tell

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
As much as it pains me to admit it, it is possible that Tobi is a creep in the benign, old school way, where he just lusts openly after drow ranger cosplayers, rather than the modern understanding of casters being creeps by sexually assaulting women.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Anyone have those pics of the insanely creepy Drow clan banners Tobi used?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Just need it to come out that Draskyl did something terrible or helped cover for someone doing terrible poo poo and I can dump Dota in the trash forever where it probably belongs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the only bad thing about draskyl is his meth addiction

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Tobi is a creeper for sure but probably volcel and relatively harmless

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

quote:

Sheever backed Grant saying that “Llama’s girlfriend works at Microsoft or something, so they can just steamroll Grant in court”. At no point in this did I pay for anything related to the lawsuit. In fact we have anecdotes from the scene that LD and PPD helped pay for Grant’s legal fees throughout all of this.

yikes

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Valves gotta be stoked they don't have to address this since TI has been postponed. You know grant would have been invited.

Does anyone know if they are going to do a talent cache this year?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Sheever no

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
So what is the working list of personalities who aren't somehow complicit in this? Is it just Fogged and Lyrical?

e: Pyrion and Shane are probably cool too

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Purge is so, so good: https://twitch.tv/659246242

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

It's been taken down/deleted.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/PurgeGamers/status/482521059090915329

Oh my lord

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Blitz is streaming and talking about it right now. I don't have a link cuz I'm on mobile

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Zurreco posted:

So what is the working list of personalities who aren't somehow complicit in this? Is it just Fogged and Lyrical?

e: Pyrion and Shane are probably cool too

Apparently
https://twitter.com/Wickedscosplay/status/1275329964791853057

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

blessed slacks

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Purge stream thing, it goes on for a while but is worth a listen.

https://twitch.tv/659246242

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Zurreco posted:

It's been taken down/deleted.

On his latest stream he talks about coming to understand male privilege and his responsibilities in the scene to say something and combat misogyny. He also shares he was bullied by Grant and others in NA dota back when he was starting out.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I will also vouch for slacks. I witnessed an incredible thing he did the day after ti finals and I'll always remember it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

nikosoft posted:

On his latest stream he talks about coming to understand male privilege and his responsibilities in the scene to say something and combat misogyny. He also shares he was bullied by Grant and others in NA dota back when he was starting out.

The stream still works for me if I open it with timestamps twitch.tv/videos/659246242?t=00h05m55s

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheRat posted:

The stream still works for me if I open it with timestamps https://twitch.tv/659246242

I think theres a bug with the forum as its embedding the channel on here

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
here

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think theres a bug with the forum as its embedding the channel on here

Yea I fixed my post to avoid the embed

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SEVnFjkRC0

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I will also vouch for slacks. I witnessed an incredible thing he did the day after ti finals and I'll always remember it.

its humbling to see someone respect the simple things in life like sitting alone in a room, writing lore, and eating hot dogs, in such reverent tones. refreshing honestly

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
that purge video is sad as gently caress

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

its humbling to see someone respect the simple things in life like sitting alone in a room, writing lore, and eating hot dogs, in such reverent tones. refreshing honestly

I don't think the community at large will ever know all the good stuff Slacks has done behind the scenes. He's a force for good

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

you can tell slacks has been crying in that video and its like gently caress

his point of "its not hard to not sexually harass people, i do it all the time!" is extremely on brand for him in the best way :unsmith: i wanna buy him a soft pretzel and large baja blast slurpee and give him the space he seems to want for now

slacks speakin the truth including making everyone miserable with his techies playing. he cannot tell a lie.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 23, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is what someone who is genuinely long down a journey of self improvement sounds like

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/Peterpandam/status/1275519558585999360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Back during TI4, I never imagined that Slacks would become a shining beacon for the dota community, but here we are. I'm really glad he did though.