Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Let's just say you aren't normally going to buy a partial DNA sequencing for the price they sell theirs at.

It's a weird line, having an epidemiological database of partial DNA sequences (and the frozen stock to sequence extra if there's a really important sequence found) is really socially useful but the rules put into place haven't really caught up with the ideal. You get some fun trivia while putting yourself out there on the level of posting a biography in the newspaper about yourself with a thinly veiled byline. You can be doxed relatively easily for being a semi anonymous database, beside the info constantly getting sold and resold.

The release is relatively astounding from the rights you give up and privacy advocates recommend against it strongly.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Your insurance providers could use it as an excuse to deny you coverage for any medical conditions with hereditary components.

"This marker indicates a 5% higher risk of cancer which totally counts as a pre-existing condition."
We aren't entirely at this hellscape yet. Yet being the key word.

Most releases allow them to sell at aggregate with obfuscated personal ID. Step one is legally proving their dox ability is perfect and can pick you out of the database. ID obfuscation only works so well when the actual data is a fingerprint though.

Second, most genetic markers are correlated and the current science recommends against using them as a basis for or against treatment without full genome analysis compared with your actual medical history so they need it proved out that exactly this marker is 100% a cause of this condition to use it as medical diagnosis to adjust your coverage.

You better believe this is a wall they want torn down through regulation (or lack of) though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Seeing that "panel" format I couldn't help it:

The MSJ posted:

It's like the opposite of the first Mr Bean movie where he perfectly recreated Whistler's Mother after a failed attempt to fix the damaged original with a marker pen.

You're misremembering a bit, this is actually pretty much one-for-one what happened in the Bean movie, except he was able to pass off a poster print as the real thing. The defaced version was hidden elsewhere.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The medical aspect of the DNA sequencing is interesting, like I could understand if a person wants to know if they've got Alzheimer's headed their way but the genealogy part is just funny to me. Like ok, I apparently am 20% "Italian"? I don't know how that changes anything about my life or who I am unless-a I a-want to-a talk-a like-a thees.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve thought about getting my DNA sequenced, but the privacy implications just aren’t worth it.

I would do it under the conditions that the process takes place in a sealed room, the results are compared to offline medical/ancestral databases, and the equipment is destroyed before we leave the room.

I know this is silly paranoid and I shed DNA everywhere anyway, but that’s my TED talk. Thank you for listening.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lobok posted:

The medical aspect of the DNA sequencing is interesting, like I could understand if a person wants to know if they've got Alzheimer's headed their way but the genealogy part is just funny to me. Like ok, I apparently am 20% "Italian"? I don't know how that changes anything about my life or who I am unless-a I a-want to-a talk-a like-a thees.

It can be incredibly important to mixed-race people, especially those from the New World who often have no idea what their racial make-up might be. No, it doesn't change anything in practice, and it's not rational, but people aren't rational. It has reaI emotional value to some people, and I can understand that.

What I'll agree with is that it gets arbitrary when it gets too granular, like distinguishing more than two or three types of European. Europeans have been mixing among themselves (and others) since prehistoric times. There's a certain flawed circular logic to it all. We've determined that people from [country] tend to have this genetic composition, you have this genetic composition among others, therefore...it's more of a statistical likelihood than a certainty.

e: if you don't believe the emotional part, check out some 'DNA reveal' videos on YouTube, many of them are actually crying at the end.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Sir Lemming posted:

Seeing that "panel" format I couldn't help it:

You're misremembering a bit, this is actually pretty much one-for-one what happened in the Bean movie, except he was able to pass off a poster print as the real thing. The defaced version was hidden elsewhere.

What're the odds that 2020 is just giant set and we're all extras in the new BEAN? If this year ends with Boris Johnson pulling a Mission Impossible style mask reveal to be Rowan Atkinson I will stand and applaud.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lobok posted:

Itll let you know if you're walking here or ey you're walkin' here or if you need to take a dripini.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phlegmish posted:

It can be incredibly important to mixed-race people, especially those from the New World who often have no idea what their racial make-up might be. No, it doesn't change anything in practice, and it's not rational, but people aren't rational. It has reaI emotional value to some people, and I can understand that.

What I'll agree with is that it gets arbitrary when it gets too granular, like distinguishing more than two or three types of European. Europeans have been mixing among themselves (and others) since prehistoric times. There's a certain flawed circular logic to it all. We've determined that people from [country] tend to have this genetic composition, you have this genetic composition among others, therefore...it's more of a statistical likelihood than a certainty.

e: if you don't believe the emotional part, check out some 'DNA reveal' videos on YouTube, many of them are actually crying at the end.
It's a hilarious marketing gimmick and 100% tautological for a European who's family hasn't moved in the past century. They are literally comparing your result to their database of European sequences. It'd be just as statistically accurate to say a German is 25% Minnesotan, 75% Michigander. Pure pandering to the old country fantasizers doing family trees.

E. I think people are getting where I stand in general but that they are selling unfounded emotions should be seen as scummy, not affirming.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Jun 23, 2020

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

jojoinnit posted:

What're the odds that 2020 is just giant set and we're all extras in the new BEAN? If this year ends with Boris Johnson pulling a Mission Impossible style mask reveal to be Rowan Atkinson I will stand and applaud.

Mr. Bean's arch nemesis is bound to crash his giant robot into the lighting eventually.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phlegmish posted:

I don't doubt that it's emotional for people because clearly it's a big popular thing. What I should say is that it's funny for me. Though I am an odd duck because of my family history because my history of nationalities is a mystery so I'm as generically white as they come.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Right, it's funny for you. I don't like using the p buzzword, but it's a form of privilege (for you and me and my dad) not to have to care about something like that at all.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Right, it's funny for you. I don't like using the p buzzword, but it's a form of privilege (for you and me and my dad) not to have to care about something like that at all.

Wait, are you saying is privilege to for genetics to not matter or for some distant ancestry to not matter?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phlegmish posted:

If there's privilege in knowing this information it's been invented by the high class to fractionate the low class. Family is who you stand with specifically. Community is who you stand with generally. Blood relations and ethnicities are snapshots of these distorted by the high class to legitimize their place or distract the low class from organizing against them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

d3lness posted:

Wait, are you saying is privilege to for genetics to not matter or for some distant ancestry to not matter?

The privilege is never having to think about your ancestry at all, at least in the context of many American countries.

Best example is, I've seen several videos of African-Americans doing these tests, and they react in different ways when they (almost inevitably) find out they're 20-30% European. I can imagine it being hard to come to grips with the fact that a large part of your genetic make-up is a consequence of what was basically rape. Turns out many of them had family stories of Native American ancestry probably specifically to cover up that fact.

e: I am usually the first one to be dismissive of identity politics but this particular case I don't really find hard to understand?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

zedprime posted:

If there's privilege in knowing this information it's been invented by the high class to fractionate the low class. Family is who you stand with specifically. Community is who you stand with generally. Blood relations and ethnicities are snapshots of these distorted by the high class to legitimize their place or distract the low class from organizing against them.

whoa slow your roll there kropotkin

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

I was gonna write something up, but somebody else said it for me.

zedprime posted:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I know one Youtube woman whose DNA test was important since her family still disagreed what race her her grandmother was. I understand her confusion since she looks vaguely of one Asian ethnicity but her mom sounds like she's from another part of Asia and her father is white.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

It's a hilarious marketing gimmick and 100% tautological for a European who's family hasn't moved in the past century. They are literally comparing your result to their database of European sequences. It'd be just as statistically accurate to say a German is 25% Minnesotan, 75% Michigander. Pure pandering to the old country fantasizers doing family trees.

E. I think people are getting where I stand in general but that they are selling unfounded emotions should be seen as scummy, not affirming.

I'm no geneticist but here is my experience

My family oral history goes back many generations and involves several towns in France a couple hundred years ago etc but we had zero proof

My dad has gotten heavy into researching the family tree and he did one of those genetic deals. They showed movement across Europe and hit specific small towns that lined up with our family oral history. I have an extremely hard time believing that is a pure coincidence. Further, it showed one other town we hadn't considered and my dad got records from there and look, a missing piece of our family tree.

poo poo is loving eerily specific for some folks. Maybe we just got lucky and lots of our genetic relatives had already participated but it certainly wasn't UR WHITE LOL

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Men Did Greater Things When It Was Harder To See Boobs

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The greatest thing they did was making it easier to see boobs

A historical paradox

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Bloop posted:

I'm no geneticist but here is my experience

My family oral history goes back many generations and involves several towns in France a couple hundred years ago etc but we had zero proof

My dad has gotten heavy into researching the family tree and he did one of those genetic deals. They showed movement across Europe and hit specific small towns that lined up with our family oral history. I have an extremely hard time believing that is a pure coincidence. Further, it showed one other town we hadn't considered and my dad got records from there and look, a missing piece of our family tree.

poo poo is loving eerily specific for some folks. Maybe we just got lucky and lots of our genetic relatives had already participated but it certainly wasn't UR WHITE LOL
If your results are giving movement you are using one of the services combining record research uploaded by other users with near relative confidence to basically give you results of far relations own family tree they put together. It's not going to clear up delusion or counterfeiting if you're both looking at the same records or hearing the same oral history for example. Genes don't know where they came from and archaeological genealogy is even weirder than the straight results they get by statistically linking you to where people live today.

Or else giving you your general results similar to the straight analysis services where you just get a % country where you match current residents DNA and begging you to upload any records of relations you know to help build their database and better come up with a timeline in the future maybe once better near relation links are made. And then asked to pay a monthly fee for help pulling and corroborating documents to build your family tree.

The rumor is that the most popular of these will then take the family trees, continuously search death records, and use them to perform Mormon baptisms for the dead for missionary points in the church. So uhh there's also that.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tracing family lineages can have unintentionally hilarious consequences though, like that Hungarian Jobbik anti-Semite who turned out to have Jewish ancestry himself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I found a point in my family tree that branches off then comes back together!

It's six generations away on one side and seven on the other so it's nbd but still amusing

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Practically all of us are going to have that, go back far enough and your family tree will be a tangled mess, epic inbreeding jokes notwithstanding. Otherwise you would end up with infinite ancestors, which makes no sense.

That's why it's completely meaningless, genetically speaking, to say that you're descended from this or that famous 16th-century person.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Practically all of us are going to have that, go back far enough and your family tree will be a tangled mess, epic inbreeding jokes notwithstanding. Otherwise you would end up with infinite ancestors, which makes no sense.

That's why it's completely meaningless, genetically speaking, to say that you're descended from this or that famous 16th-century person.

Pedigree collapse takes long enough that it actually is unusual for someone to be related to a 16th century person. The best estimate is that the most recent common ancestor of all living humans lived about 2500 years ago, so 500 years is much more recent than that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ultrafilter posted:

Pedigree collapse takes long enough that it actually is unusual for someone to be related to a 16th century person. The best estimate is that the most recent common ancestor of all living humans lived about 2500 years ago, so 500 years is much more recent than that.
It's not that we all share the same 16th century relative, it's that we can probably find a famous 16th century relative if you pound the pavement on a family tree. There's lots of famous 16th century people to go around and any loss of the genealogy coming to a point (like a common ancestor) it's balanced instead by having more 16th century family than a collapsed tree.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Finding criminal ancestors is a lot of fun imo!

I recently confirmed that my great*6 grandfather, a musketeer from Alsace, pretended to be a doctor in Norway around 1770

I don't care much about the law-abiding folk, the sources on them are p sparse. Nobility is boring too, they're researched to hell already. Also DNA does nothing for me, the fun part is looking at dusty papers.

btw, there's a genealogy thread with some fun stories here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777244

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Jun 23, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Please find out personal information about me and my relatives that none of us can never ever ever change or hide again"

Also all of these "you are 4% from here 6% from there" data bits are just warmed over race theory. Genes aren't heritage.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Genes mirror geography within Europe

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:raise:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why wouldn't they? It would be completely nonsensical if genes didn't mirror geography.

The arbitrary/circular part is when you decide that someone is '6% Italian' based on that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can legit trace ancestry to Charlemagne

So can approximately 15% of Europeans, which is actually a much more interesting fact.
It's estimated that ~24% of "westerners" could do the same if they only had the records

That guy fuuuucked, and also a lot of time has passed

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phlegmish posted:

Which company did you guys use for the test? I've been thinking of getting one for my dad for his birthday. The racial stuff probably wouldn't interest him since there's no reason to think he's anything but 99%-100% 'European', and he wouldn't care if he wasn't, but he's always going on about human evolution, Neanderthal intermixing, haplogroups, etc.

My wife is really big into genealogy. We've paid for many of our relatives to have their genes sequenced.

Also the tests cannot tell you what your heritage is. That's not how genetics works. They can tell you where the genes in your body came probably came from, but you only get half of each of your parents' genes and a quarter of your grandparents' genes, an eighth of your great-grandparents' genes, etc.

For example, my great grandmother was listed on the Dawes Rolls for Native Americans. I have verifiable Native American ancestors, but my dad's DNA has 0% Native American and, therefore, mine has 0 % Native American.
I can prove I'm like 1/32 Choctaw and 1/64 Cherokee but my blood sure doesn't back that up. I'm pale and have blue eyes and my hair was blond until I was in my mid twenties.

Two of my wife's uncles, same parents, have genetic profiles that look very different the naked eye. The countries they are "from" are not the same.

It won't tell you what you think it will tell you. If you want to know where you come from, you have to do the work and find documents and marriage announcements and obituaries and all that other crap to track it down. The blood test can tell you if you are related to to someone else, but only if that genetic profile is also on file. It is not a shortcut to a family tree.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
My mom and I used Ancestry to take a DNA test and while the results were not surprising at all (both sides are relatively recent immigrants), it was helpful to dig through the massive archives they had to keep track of where my dad's side of the family went after being released from Manzanar, as well as being way easier to dig through the records of multiple states at once. The actual DNA test was more like an afterthought that helped me link together the work other family members had already done so we could make an absolutely massive family tree. Was a fun family project during quarantine.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The FBI Found No Evidence Of A Hate Crime Against NASCAR Driver Bubba Wallace After A Noose Was Found In His Stall

Well that's good news?

quote:

In a joint statement released Tuesday by the US Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Alabama and the FBI, officials said investigators have determined that the noose had been in the garage since at least October, well before Wallace’s team was assigned to the stall last week.
Is this a "these are my everyday nooses" scenario?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
the rope has been like that for a long time but somebody only noticed now due to the current zeitgeist. it's an annoying situation because now shithead racists will start gibbering in their horrid voices about Jussie Smollett.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The MSJ posted:

It's like the opposite of the first Mr Bean movie where he perfectly recreated Whistler's Mother after a failed attempt to fix the damaged original with a marker pen.

:eng101: Actually he bought a poster from
the gift shop to replace it and kept the original.

e: drat there were more replies left than i thought here

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I haven’t seen the Mr. Bean movie since it was new in theaters, but I remember almost dying with laughter at the reveal of the painting.

Edit: so imagine how I felt when the real thing started popping up in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it was a garage door pullrope