Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Applying something like a UCMJ to cops would be a net gain, though. A universal set of laws, standards, and most importantly RESTRICTIONS that all cops across the country must adhere to would be a huge step forward.

The ability for community leadership to also do things like put people on restriction and pay cuts and punitive duty would help a lot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Bread and water for 30 days for beating an unarmed suspect

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Internet Wizard posted:

Applying something like a UCMJ to cops would be a net gain, though. A universal set of laws, standards, and most importantly RESTRICTIONS that all cops across the country must adhere to would be a huge step forward.

The ability for community leadership to also do things like put people on restriction and pay cuts and punitive duty would help a lot as well.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was getting at.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah, Clint Lorrance and Eddie Gallagher agree with you too

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Internet Wizard posted:

On the one hand it'd be weird to have separate courts for them, but on the other at least you wouldn't have DAs that depend on police cooperation being expected to prosecute them.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Doc Hawkins posted:

On the one hand it'd be weird to have separate courts for them, but on the other at least you wouldn't have DAs that depend on police cooperation being expected to prosecute them.

a high (cops) and low (everyone else) courts system? hmmm yes yessss....

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Doc Hawkins posted:

But your DAs _would_ work for the convening authority - in this example, the police chief.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's a failed joke on my part. I was going for comedic understatement with the word "weird."

We already have high and low justice in the US, but I would not be surprised if someone seriously proposed that to "streamline" all of these accusations of police misconduct, that they be judged by a tribunal of senior officers in special cop courts.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
training day was an instructional documentary

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Super troopers being the american ideal is depressing as gently caress. One department of 6 guys with 5 kinda redeemable assholes and 1 complete shitbird and one department with 9 murdering drug runners and one cop trying to get things fixed without affecting their career and eventually one gets shut down

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Stravag posted:

Super troopers being the american ideal is depressing as gently caress. One department of 6 guys with 5 kinda redeemable assholes and 1 complete shitbird and one department with 9 murdering drug runners and one cop trying to get things fixed without affecting their career and eventually one gets shut down

Even the state troopers, our ostensible protagonists, pull over citizens, and then proceed to play games for their own amusement. ngl tho, i think super troopers is pretty funny and probably the best broken lizard movie, edging out beerfest. has anyone gone back and watched the police academy movies? not even for cop bootlicking, do the gags hold up?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

That was why i called them kinda redeemable assholes

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Phil Layshow posted:

Even the state troopers, our ostensible protagonists, pull over citizens, and then proceed to play games for their own amusement. ngl tho, i think super troopers is pretty funny and probably the best broken lizard movie, edging out beerfest. has anyone gone back and watched the police academy movies? not even for cop bootlicking, do the gags hold up?

Not even a little bit, no.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
i figured as much. reno 911 was an ok cop movie too, but if you didn't like the show, you won't like the movie.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Watchmen 2019 is an instructional documentary

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I would bet there's more minorities serving in the Army than are in the police. Only reason I'd see them being better at serving and protecting.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Grem posted:

I would bet there's more minorities serving in the Army than are in the police. Only reason I'd see them being better at serving and protecting.

The MP Corps is proportioned more like regular law enforcement from what I saw

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?

Grem posted:

But it's not really about demographics. It's not like having more diversity in police forces are really solving the problems, e.g., two of the officers involved in George Floyd's murder were non-white. The problem is with police culture and its psychology superseding any other obligations and values. I'm not sure if military culture is so substantially different that they would would be better at policing a civilian population, especially when we look at their track record overseas.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
oh 200 replies I wonder if something interesting happened

nope

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Hezzy posted:

nope

Hi Hezzy.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://portcitydaily.com/local-new...wait-free-read/

As you do in a squad car i guess

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hezzy posted:

nope

Thanks for this vital update

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Continuity RCP posted:

Thanks for this vital update

thanks for your incredibly informative post, keep on fighting the good fight citizen

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ded posted:

Bread and water for 30 days for beating an unarmed suspect

they actually took that out of the UCMJ

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

PookBear posted:

When did that happen? I'm pretty sure I saw it in there during my time in. Though it did specify that it was under the care and observation of medical personnel.

Also, it might have been a really old poster that I was reading.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PookBear posted:

doesn't mean they shouldn't do that to cops

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've heard from a reliable source "straight from the underground" that you can "still get 'swole' off bread and water." :v:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
america 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkeAPiGMCI

at a music protest over a kid they killed, the APD rolls in and starts gassing people

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ded posted:

america 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkeAPiGMCI

at a music protest over a kid they killed, the APD rolls in and starts gassing people

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
My coworker was there, she's a 55 year old math teacher with terminal cancer. I live in Aurora and worked with Aurora PD several times, and still do in my new career since they're in schools, obviously. Every single Aurora PD guy I know is a raging loving dick. Like even the wishy WASHY BS of "oh they're a good cop, trying to do the right thing" or the ones you see that take a knee off of a guys neck (and get fired for it), they don't loving exist in Aurora PD.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Aurora PD is the PD where a dude passed out drunk while driving his cruiser, and they decided not to fire him because they couldn't prove he was drunk (despite the bodycams of the cops that found him talking about how he reeks of booze), and maybe he has a medical condition that makes him fall asleep sometimes (which he hasn't been diagnosed with and apparently is also okay for a cop to have???)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MonkeyFit posted:

When did [removal of bread and water punishment under UCMJ] happen? I'm pretty sure I saw it in there during my time in. Though it did specify that it was under the care and observation of medical personnel.

Also, it might have been a really old poster that I was reading.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/npr/status/1278016222630731776?s=21

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Why do news articles never include the photos referenced and never give an accurate description of what the photos are?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PeterCat posted:

Why do news articles never include the photos referenced and never give an accurate description of what the photos are?

On the former, whoever took the photo (or video) can potentially claim copyright on it and raise hell. That's why any time you see photos/videos posted to Youtube, Twitter, etc. that are newsworthy, you'll also see tons of news orgs asking if they have permission to use it with attribution. Maybe the news orgs were refused permission, maybe they didn't bother asking. Here's a quick primer on it:

https://amdlawgroup.com/how-to-use-photos-without-violating-copyright-laws/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
For any pig that still reads here I have a question. If all of these police departments say that the officers are not trained to restrain a suspect by putting a knee on their neck, why is it happening all the loving time? It's almost as if... it IS trained.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?

ded posted:

For any pig that still reads here I have a question. If all of these police departments say that the officers are not trained to restrain a suspect by putting a knee on their neck, why is it happening all the loving time? It's almost as if... it IS trained.

To them, it's not "trained" because it doesn't happen at the academy, but is taught during their on-the-job training as probationary officers. This system of relatively minimal formal training (especially compared to police agencies abroad) and emphasis on field training not only allows for these behaviors to continue, but also enmeshes new officers in police culture to be silent about (if not actively covering up) these and other inappropriate behaviors.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Toshokan posted:

To them, it's not "trained" because it doesn't happen at the academy, but is taught during their on-the-job training as probationary officers. This system of relatively minimal formal training (especially compared to police agencies abroad) and emphasis on field training not only allows for these behaviors to continue, but also enmeshes new officers in police culture to be silent about (if not actively covering up) these and other inappropriate behaviors.

Yea, it's this.

You don't see it used in academies so it's not "trained" but you see a dude do it, you hear them talk about it, it becomes, uh, I guess conditioned? It's entirely possible if you isolate yourself enough in a small force that you never encounter it. But realistically even the ones who say it's not trained have heard about it being used by their coworkers, they know it's wrong so when they're not wearing their uniform they realize it's not what was trained, but once that uniform goes on or the shift starts all the field training takes over from formal training.

And it really isn't in the policy academies, at least it wasn't ten years ago. I remember specifically being told never to put pressure on the back or neck when a person is laying face down, and not to have restrained people face down, suffocation being the very reason.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, training and policy is not the same as practice; poo poo's hosed. It's a big reason why radical reform is necessary, the incrementalism has been proven false by like 30 years of increasing "professionalism"; it doesn't loving work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Anybody got experience with K-9s?

A town near me had a cop quit and he wanted to keep his dog/partner and pay to cover some costs for a new K-9. PD said no, and people lost their poo poo because the dog had been with that guy for like 4 years and he was a "family dog too." Department released a statement saying "please shut the gently caress up $5k is a third of what it would actually cost, k-9s should not be retired early, and they would have probably traded him for a rookie dog soon anyway since rookie cops get senior dogs and senior cops get rookie dogs."

$15-20k seems about right for a k-9 and I get strategically pairing cops and dogs, but I dont know much about working animals. Why would it be bad to retire a k-9 early?