Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, Prayuth just said they're entering - I think - Phase III, where they will greenlight a shitload of Thai nationals to return. However, as you point out, and as is correct, good luck getting there. Major cities in major economies where there are a lot of Thai people will probably have a flight arranged by the Thai government, but if you try to go on your own, the routing of the flight alone will cause huge headaches and expense would be my guess.

Also, this is not the round of flights I would want to be on. Buddha knows who all will be on those planes and in what condition. I'd chill a bit, myself (which I, in effect, did, by not going back and remaining in the US, where I am stuck lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah I've already accepted that she'll be living here through the summer if not the rest of the year, and it sucks but we all gotta work together on this. Plus it could be worse, we could be having my wife's brother staying with us instead lol

Sorry to hear you got trapped here as well, I hope you're able to get back safely.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The wife's brother is sometimes a fraught topic in farang-Thai relationships, though mostly in ThoiViser crowd lore because he often turns out not to be the brother lol. I could think of many worse things than having your Thai sister-in-law staying with you during a crisis, though in my experience some discussions about tidiness can arise (to understate things). A Honey Boo Boo sister-in-law, for example. Hope you guys don't murder each other, but, if you do, make sure it involves a balcony.

EDIT: I'm fine. Other than temporarily living in a guest room at home with my 75-ish year-old parents who never leave the house, which, after two months, grates a bit at times - however one thing living in Thailand teaches you is a gently caress ton of patience, so I can't complain. Safe, healthy, roof over head, vehicles, food to eat, etc. Much better than living out a 5 week alcohol ban in rural Thailand, heh. The only thing that rankles me lately is that EVA, who understandably canceled my ticket, just keeps telling me to call back on a future date every time I call back - which, again, is understandable, except for the fact that the future date is accompanied by an EVA corporate deadline that is always before the next announced date when international flights will legally be allowed to arrive, which means it is guaranteed that every next call will result in, "You should call back on [date before next flight ban extension]."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 28, 2020

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Can anyone comment on the climate of Singapore? I've read lots and lots by google searching, most seem to agree it's almost annoyingly hot and humid. I've been to many cities in Philippines, which is also near the equator, and where it's also super hot, humid and has random rain, and while I don't really like such weather, I can deal with it. Siem Reap in 2018 was also steaming - that feeling when you pull down your completely sweat-soaked underpants in order to sit on a filthy toilet in the jungle. :)

If I can deal with Philippines weather (for example Manila or Cebu), will I find Singapore about the same? Or worse? Planning on going in either October 2020 or February 2021.

Singapore looks very interesting, I would be going with my 8-year-old son. I like big cities with lots to do.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pilsner posted:

Can anyone comment on the climate of Singapore? I've read lots and lots by google searching, most seem to agree it's almost annoyingly hot and humid. I've been to many cities in Philippines, which is also near the equator, and where it's also super hot, humid and has random rain, and while I don't really like such weather, I can deal with it. Siem Reap in 2018 was also steaming - that feeling when you pull down your completely sweat-soaked underpants in order to sit on a filthy toilet in the jungle. :)

If I can deal with Philippines weather (for example Manila or Cebu), will I find Singapore about the same? Or worse? Planning on going in either October 2020 or February 2021.

Singapore looks very interesting, I would be going with my 8-year-old son. I like big cities with lots to do.

Singapore is on the equator. Which also means that for the most part, the weather is gonna be close to the same no matter what month. It rains a little more in the winter.

As close to a straight line as you're gonna get for a city. Just a little bump in may/june.

I went there in Feb. 2019. It was pretty loving hot. And I got sunburned on my head, even though I was wearing a hat 99% of the time. At the same time, being at the end of a peninsula surrounded by water means that it generally doesn't get super, super hot as well - hard to find a 40C day.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
The good thing about being hot and humid all year around is that the city is pretty well prepared for hot and humid weather. To be honest it's pretty bearable and more comfortable than Cebu for sure. Do you have any friends in Singapore to show you around?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah Singapore is much the same really. It's hot and humid. Singapore is also much more developed than anywhere in Siem Reap or a few small pockets in Manila, so there's probably more to do indoors with air conditioning if you need a break.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Pilsner posted:

I grew up there and it's hot as poo poo. 30 degree weather every day + 80 to 100% humidity all year. Like everybody said though, there's aircon everywhere and if there isn't one, there's probably no less than 5 fans blasting nearby.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Alright thanks for the feedback. No doubt it'll be crazy hot, but I guess a mix indoors and outdoors might be okay.

BabyFur Denny posted:

The good thing about being hot and humid all year around is that the city is pretty well prepared for hot and humid weather. To be honest it's pretty bearable and more comfortable than Cebu for sure. Do you have any friends in Singapore to show you around?

Nope, just going there and figure things out. I've had two friends tell me it's boring and bureaucratic, but I dunno, looking at pictures from there I simply can't imagine it's not worth at least a week's visit of sightseeing, visiting attractions, eating & drinking. No nightlife or red light district since I'd be going with my young son.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Pilsner posted:

Nope, just going there and figure things out. I've had two friends tell me it's boring and bureaucratic, but I dunno, looking at pictures from there I simply can't imagine it's not worth at least a week's visit of sightseeing, visiting attractions, eating & drinking. No nightlife or red light district since I'd be going with my young son.

I had fun! I mostly just did touristy type stuff like you plan. I imagine the bureaucratic boredom comes in if you actually have to live there a while. As an aside I did end up accidentally staying in the red light district because the hotels were cheaper (and my travel agent was filtering on price) but I didn’t really do anything after dark except eat so it wasn’t really much of an issue. I turned down a solicitation or two and saw several retired white guys going to/from the brothel and that’s about it.

One thing I recommend is getting a bus/metro pass as soon as possible. Taxis are everywhere but public transportation is cheaper and more fun.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I really enjoy visiting Singapore and have done a number of times with and without children. It is its most valuable as a refresh and reset oasis after being deep in the likes of Borneo or Myanmar for awhile but even fresh out of Europe or Australia I still quite enjoy it.

With kids or without, there is plenty to do with a little research. If you have been to Hong Kong it is a bit more organized and less chaotic version of that. Compared to Manila, it is more expensive, quicker pace of life, higher standards, more variety of high quality tasty and healthy food, more organized and less friendly with no auto-kano status boost like in The Philippines.

Heat is less of an issue in Singapore than the likes of Cebu just because it is so easy to get in out of the heat whenever you want. Going troppo is not a thing in Singapore much these days thanks to ubiquitous air con.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I really enjoy visiting Singapore and have done a number of times with and without children. It is its most valuable as a refresh and reset oasis after being deep in the likes of Borneo or Myanmar for awhile

Yeah, every time I've been there I've gone to do Indonesia visa stuff and it's basically the perfect way to just refresh and remember what it's like to walk on actual footpaths. The museums in Singapore are great as well.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I really enjoy visiting Singapore and have done a number of times with and without children. It is its most valuable as a refresh and reset oasis after being deep in the likes of Borneo or Myanmar for awhile but even fresh out of Europe or Australia I still quite enjoy it.

With kids or without, there is plenty to do with a little research. If you have been to Hong Kong it is a bit more organized and less chaotic version of that. Compared to Manila, it is more expensive, quicker pace of life, higher standards, more variety of high quality tasty and healthy food, more organized and less friendly with no auto-kano status boost like in The Philippines.

Heat is less of an issue in Singapore than the likes of Cebu just because it is so easy to get in out of the heat whenever you want. Going troppo is not a thing in Singapore much these days thanks to ubiquitous air con.

Thanks for the feedback, it sounds good! Yes I've been to Hong Kong and loved it, particularly the mix of old and new, rich and poor, British and Chinese, and the compact city with lots to do and metro/subway going everywhere. I know Singapore isn't the same, but perhaps a bit.

The big question of course is whether Singapore will be open for visitors by October. Currently it's 100% closed for visitors with very few exceptions, but I guess 4 months is reasonably far away. I'm eyeing cheap tickets with Swiss Air from Europe where they can be re-booked at no cost right now. Also, it's one thing being able to enter the country, but it wouldn't be fun if restaurants and attractions were closed of course.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I was supposed to go to Singapore in early April, so will be looking to rebook. Museums are very much my jam, how much time is good to allow there? I've also had a visit to Malaysia recommended, what is a recommended destination and should I take a night in a room there?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I lived in Singapore for 8 years, so any questions please give me a shout.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Alright thanks for the feedback. No doubt it'll be crazy hot, but I guess a mix indoors and outdoors might be okay.

I live in Singapore, if you want someone to hang out with send me a dm (but I am not a local)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

kru posted:

I lived in Singapore for 8 years, so any questions please give me a shout.
Best Scotch restaurant in S'pore plz.

Maurice Augustus
Nov 27, 2011

Any martial arts places in Bangkok with good price/result ratio? Don't really care about any particular art and don't care if there's 40 students per one teacher as long as I get good exercise and learn new things. Planning to stay for 9 months so something more long-term is ideal. Also would love any suggestions for similar longer-term involved activities to do in Bangkok.

Kinda related, what's the cheapest way of sourcing drinking water?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

Best Scotch restaurant in S'pore plz.

There's 2 and they are both awful my friend, let me tell you!!!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Maurice Augustus posted:

Kinda related, what's the cheapest way of sourcing drinking water?
In any working class area - or condo - there are filtration machines that are about 1 THB per 1.5 liter. Whether they actually filter anything, no idea, but I'm not dead yet.

EDIT: The more you filter the cheaper it is, but I can't remember all the sizes.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

ReindeerF posted:

In any working class area - or condo - there are filtration machines that are about 1 THB per 1.5 liter. Whether they actually filter anything, no idea, but I'm not dead yet.

EDIT: The more you filter the cheaper it is, but I can't remember all the sizes.

Also there's that weird gasoline-tasting water in the cheap whitish bottles. That's usually cheap as hell too, and probably has some healthy extras dissolved in it. Backpackers love it!

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Also there's that weird gasoline-tasting water in the cheap whitish bottles.

I once found a bunch of plastic floating around in one.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Those things are, in theory, filled at the provincial level, they usually have a seal on them. I think they were part of a clean water initiative. In reality, in tourist-only zones like Samui, I'm pretty sure someone just washes them out, refills them and presses another lid on, case by case, heh.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
The Chang water? Years ago I saw some dude out the back of a 711 doing just filling up the empties from a tap.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
These things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Exactly those things. That poo poo is death juice.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's fine! Never had a problem, heh.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't find a picture anywhere, but up in Chiang Rai the most common brand of those 5 baht water bottles was called Shitti Panich

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How are things in Thailand? Are they starting to allow tourists again?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Life is basically back to normal with a few caveats. You need a mask to enter any public space. Most places are taking temperatures. Large shopping centers at least pretend to want you to check in. Cashless transactions are more common, but hardly the norm.

Tourists are a big no. They've had several proposed plans, such as travel bubbles or isolated tourist zones for people willing to pay for private getaways, but the latest outbreaks in New Zealand and Australia, places these tourists might theoretically come from, have everyone on edge since the government is terrified of a second wave here. At the moment, official word is no tourists until 2021.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are bars and clubs open?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Life is basically back to normal with a few caveats. You need a mask to enter any public space. Most places are taking temperatures. Large shopping centers at least pretend to want you to check in. Cashless transactions are more common, but hardly the norm.

Tourists are a big no. They've had several proposed plans, such as travel bubbles or isolated tourist zones for people willing to pay for private getaways, but the latest outbreaks in New Zealand and Australia, places these tourists might theoretically come from, have everyone on edge since the government is terrified of a second wave here. At the moment, official word is no tourists until 2021.

Cool I didn't want to see my in-laws anyway.

I actually like my in-laws for the most part, for as much as you can like someone without ever really talking to them

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Gabriel S. posted:

Are bars and clubs open?

Yep, though I haven't scoped out the gogo bars to see if people are wearing masks in them.

More prominent pubs are being told to close at midnight, and police will come by to make sure that's being enforced, but it's really only being applied to places right on Sukhumvit.

I don't think anything is actually closed at this point, though of course some places have reduced hours.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

C-Euro posted:

Cool I didn't want to see my in-laws anyway.

I actually like my in-laws for the most part, for as much as you can like someone without ever really talking to them

Actually, I think you can enter if your spouse is Thai. You'd just have to jump through hoops.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Atlas Hugged posted:

Actually, I think you can enter if your spouse is Thai. You'd just have to jump through hoops.

Interesting that as one of our workers is planning to spend his next break in Egypt as it has set up a tourist bubble in Sharm El Sheikh and he doesn't think he can get back into Thailand (where his spouse and kids live).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think it depends on visa you have and what country you've been in. We've had people come in with non-B visas and do state quarantine. But these were new hires. I have no idea what the government policy is for people in Thailand who leave and want to return as if everything is normal.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My brother said they've just resumed full in-person teaching at his highschool in Bangkok. That's pretty amazing compared to our highschools here in georgia which are completely floundering right now.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My brother said they've just resumed full in-person teaching at his highschool in Bangkok. That's pretty amazing compared to our highschools here in georgia which are completely floundering right now.

Georgia is one of the dumbest states in America and is doing one of the crappiest jobs against the virus (this is being polite since they are doing practically nothing) so that's not really a surprise.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, as I said everything is mostly back to normal. Schools are open and are employing a range of social distancing policies from masks and desks spread out to children in clear plastic isolation playpens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yep, though I haven't scoped out the gogo bars to see if people are wearing masks in them.

More prominent pubs are being told to close at midnight, and police will come by to make sure that's being enforced, but it's really only being applied to places right on Sukhumvit.

I don't think anything is actually closed at this point, though of course some places have reduced hours.

Wow.

From a positive point of view, that's means life is pretty much back to normal just as you said. And extremely impressive if they're willing to let the Gogo Bars back open but then again without tourists that changes things quite a bit.