Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
When I mentioned that my friend said that he doesn't see himself as black, I didn't mean as like a super-Uncle Tom thing.

I meant as like, he wouldn't have been able to marry his wife or even have his own career if everyone else adhered to his strict beliefs that no law should have been changed since the times where he would have been classified as sub-human just by the color of his skin.

I guess others have pointed that out already though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Thank you for this post.

Can you explain why he believes only judicial precedent that existed when the constitution was ratified counts?

that's what I always find baffling, that it's not like he's opposed to all judicial precedent and believes courts should apply the precise wording of the statute without regard for how previous cases have construed the wording, he cites judicial precedent from 1670 or whatever, he just seems to believe that there was a cutoff at some point (1776? 1787? 1861? 1900?) and no more precedents after that are allowed

I believe you got it exactly in your earlier post. He doesn't believe in stare decisis at all. The reason why pre-ratification precedent counts is that he doesn't see it as precedent, to him its effectively law because the people (in his view) agreed to be bound by that precedent. Anything judges come up with later can be changed if they are wrong, even if we have a century of cases built on top of that ancient decision, and reversing it would cause a massive amount of legal chaos.

If the people had some kind of 2nd constitutional convention where they got together and among other things also agreed to be bound by current precedent, Thomas would then likely sign off on that as well, because its not precedent to him anymore, now its law.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wonder what the oldest bit of common law he’s used is.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

Probably something in an admiralty case because it is almost exclusively common law. Admiralty is one of the few areas of real common law that has never been taken over by statute other than to expand workers rights here and there with the jones act and such. Admiralty cases will cite poo poo older than most current nations.

e: or that vvvvvv

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

hobbesmaster posted:

probably from around 1066

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

EwokEntourage posted:

probably from around 1066

Which he essentially does in the very dissent that started this discussion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I enjoyed Scalia's dipshit decision in Heller having to go back to English law because he had to ignore both what the language of the amendment meant when it was written and ignore the debate around the drafting of the amendment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rigel posted:

I believe you got it exactly in your earlier post. He doesn't believe in stare decisis at all. The reason why pre-ratification precedent counts is that he doesn't see it as precedent, to him its effectively law because the people (in his view) agreed to be bound by that precedent.

Is this discussed anywhere because two objections immediately come to mind.

First, the constitution never actually says anywhere that we're adopting all common law precedent, the courts were just doing that anyway. You could argue that this was implied by the fact that the courts were just doing that anyway and the constitution didn't change it so that's a form of popular consent, but those same courts were the ones establishing new precedents so why can't we say there was the same implied popular consent to be bound by that?

Second, precedent is part of common law, so if the people consented to a common law system in 1787 didn't they also consent to the system of precedent and interpretation that's a part of that system.

(Well I guess there's a third objection about what it means to say that a constitution adopted only by landowning white men was ever popularly consented to, but that's a criticism of originalism generally, not specifically of his reasoning that courts should still be applying elizabethan era rulings )

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 23, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jeeves posted:

When I mentioned that my friend said that he doesn't see himself as black, I didn't mean as like a super-Uncle Tom thing.

I meant as like, he wouldn't have been able to marry his wife or even have his own career if everyone else adhered to his strict beliefs that no law should have been changed since the times where he would have been classified as sub-human just by the color of his skin.

I guess others have pointed that out already though.

he doesn't believe that no laws should ever be changed, he believes that the decision to change the laws should be made "by the people", either through their elected representatives in congress or through constitutional convention. The only time he believes judges should strike down laws is if they're in conflict with the constitution

and he pretty obviously would vote to strike down anti-miscegenation laws because he really does believe those violate the fourteenth amendment (although I'm sure if such a case came up he would write a concurrence about how all civil rights precedent needs to be thrown out and replaced with reasoning based on the privileges and immunities clause)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VitalSigns posted:

Your objections appear to be to originalism generally. There has been much written about this and you might want to take a look at Scalia’s “Originalism: The Lesser Evil” article: https://web.archive.org/web/20060221174707/http://www.joink.com/homes/users/ninoville/lesserevil.asp#864

I suspect you will find few people here in this thread willing to spend any energy defending originalism, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Originalism is indefensible because even its practitioners don't follow it. Heller's one of the more obvious examples. It's conservatives wanting to give their opinions a seemingly objective veneer.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ulmont posted:

Your objections appear to be to originalism generally. There has been much written about this and you might want to take a look at Scalia’s “Originalism: The Lesser Evil” article: https://web.archive.org/web/20060221174707/http://www.joink.com/homes/users/ninoville/lesserevil.asp#864

I suspect you will find few people here in this thread willing to spend any energy defending originalism, though.

Yeah I know it's not popular here I was just wondering what the arguments for it are, thanks for the link

E:
oh wow this speech already going places :stare:

Justice Scalia posted:

Taft is generally acknowledged to have been one of the greatest Chief Justices -- not so much on the basis of his opinions, perhaps because many of them ran counter to the ultimate sweep of history. One commentator observes condescendingly:

quote:

Taft's Chief Justiceship might have been constructive, but for his haunting fear of progressivism and progressives. Had he maintained the powerful position he assumed in his commerce cases and minimum wage dissent, he might have, with the backing of Holmes, Brandeis, Stone, and possibly Sanford, swung the Court along the line the great triumvirate was so eloquently staking out. Lacking in William Howard Taft was the quality Woodrow Wilson suggested as an essential requirement of statesmanship -- "a large vision of things to come."
This is presumably the school of history that assesses the greatness of a leader by his success in predicting where the men he is leading want to go. That is perhaps the way the world ultimately evaluates things -- but one may think that Taft, having (as I have described) a more celestial view of the judge's function, had a quite accurate "vision of things to come," did not like them, and did his best, with consummate skill but ultimate lack of success, to alter the outcome. To demean him for not being Brandeis is to demean Lee for not being Grant.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 23, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thomas and Gorsuch are honest to god ideologues, it's just that said ideals line up with mainstream conservative ideology nine times out of ten. Meanwhile Alito and :kav: are indefensibly just GOP toadies who will gleefully twist the law any which way to satisfy their fascist masters. Roberts feels closer to the latter than the former, and I think if he wasn't chief justice he'd be almost indistinguishable from Alito but his weird obsession with the legacy of his court as non-partisan means he has a lot of rulings where he sides with the liberals on weird technicalities that let him write incredibly narrow decisions that end up with 4+ concurrence-in-part-and-dissent-in-part's.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I know it's not popular here I was just wondering what the arguments for it are, thanks for the link

The most basic argument is:

If the meaning of the Constitution changes over time, that means judges are legislating from the bench. Therefore there must be one meaning of the Constitution. What meaning is that? Presumptively the one the founders understood of the words they wrote down.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

First, the constitution never actually says anywhere that we're adopting all common law precedent, the courts were just doing that anyway. You could argue that this was implied by the fact that the courts were just doing that anyway and the constitution didn't change it so that's a form of popular consent, but those same courts were the ones establishing new precedents so why can't we say there was the same implied popular consent to be bound by that?

Second, precedent is part of common law, so if the people consented to a common law system in 1787 didn't they also consent to the system of precedent and interpretation that's a part of that system.

(Well I guess there's a third objection about what it means to say that a constitution adopted only by landowning white men was ever popularly consented to, but that's a criticism of originalism generally, not specifically of his reasoning that courts should still be applying elizabethan era rulings )

The adoption of the common law at the state level has less to do with the US Constitution than with state statutes and constitutions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reception_statute#United_States

There's no federal reception statute I'm aware of (but see the Northwest Ordinance of 1787). But the Constitution does mention the common law in the Seventh Amendment, in addition to a lot of provisions that implicitly import common law concepts.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sydin posted:

Thomas and Gorsuch are honest to god ideologues, it's just that said ideals line up with mainstream conservative ideology nine times out of ten. Meanwhile Alito and :kav: are indefensibly just GOP toadies who will gleefully twist the law any which way to satisfy their fascist masters. Roberts feels closer to the latter than the former, and I think if he wasn't chief justice he'd be almost indistinguishable from Alito but his weird obsession with the legacy of his court as non-partisan means he has a lot of rulings where he sides with the liberals on weird technicalities that let him write incredibly narrow decisions that end up with 4+ concurrence-in-part-and-dissent-in-part's.

Hypothetically, if Roberts assigned himself a 6-3 decision and the other 5 all signed on to the same concurrence-in-part-dissent-in-part, how would that be treated in terms of precedence? Like if he writes one of those incredibly narrow interpretations but a real majority say "no, it's more widely applicable" does it get applied narrowly or widely as a precedent?

This may be a weird question and I hope I'm asking it in a way that makes sense.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ulmont posted:

If the meaning of the Constitution changes over time, that means judges are legislating from the bench. Therefore there must be one meaning of the Constitution. What meaning is that? Presumptively the one the founders understood of the words they wrote down.

Technically, most originalists now would speak of "original public meaning" rather than the intent of the founders themselves.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Technically, most originalists now would speak of "original public meaning" rather than the intent of the founders themselves.

That’s what I was referencing - the “original public meaning” is what the founders (and, yes, the general public at the time) understood the words they wrote down to mean.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it's a tragedy that anyone comes to believe or act on ideas of "deontological justice," where what's right is finding and following The Rules, but that tragedy becomes enormous when they're elevated to any position of power.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Silver2195 posted:

Which is still kinda bullshit, because society and the world have changed a lot since the constitution was signed.

So you have a second amendment which originally meant "you can have a flintlock we guess" * and then people twist themselves into pretzels to argue that the founders meant "here have an assault rifle".

* Yes I know that what the 2nd exactly means is still debated I'm just using it as an example.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Mikl posted:

Which is still kinda bullshit, because society and the world have changed a lot since the constitution was signed.

So you have a second amendment which originally meant "you can have a flintlock we guess" * and then people twist themselves into pretzels to argue that the founders meant "here have an assault rifle".

* Yes I know that what the 2nd exactly means is still debated I'm just using it as an example.

constitutionally unbannable and unregulated privatized nuke ownership

edit: https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/ywn7jk/this-test-could-redefine-what-weapons-are-protected-by-the-second-amendment

Vice posted:

Maryland’s ban, enacted in 2013 soon after the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, was allowed to stand in a 10-4 decision by the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia, that ruled the Second Amendment does not protect what the judges called “exceptionally lethal weapons of war.”

all of it seems arbitrary to me, not being a lawyer

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 23, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ulmont posted:

Yeah I get that, I don't get how the chancery court of England figures into it. What were those English judges doing when they decided what's an equitable remedy if not legislating from the bench.

And this case has nothing to do with originalism or constitutional interpretation. It was a question over the meaning of a statute. If we're supposed to evaluate statutes by figuring out what the authors of that statute intended when they said "equitable remedy" why would they be thinking of an 18th century chancery court, wouldn't a 20th century congress writing a 20th century statute be meaning to invoke contemporary 20th century interpretations of "equitable remedy", not secretly thinking of what it meant to a dude who ('s servants) threw his poop out the window into the street? (Well I'm wading into the decision now, so I think the answer to this second question is "that's why the decision was 8-1, dummy")

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 23, 2020

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mikl posted:

Yeah, obviously a lot depends on the level of abstraction you apply here. I think pretty much everyone is an originalist at the level of which dictionary to use, but the more you start applying the specific implicit assumptions of the 18th century (or, for the 14th Amendment, the 19th century), the more originalism breaks down.

The most obvious problem with originalism is this: even Thomas thinks the outcome of Brown v. Board of Education was correct, although he would take issue with much of its reasoning. But the same Congress that passed the 14th Amendment ran a segregated school system in the District of Columbia.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The interpretation of the 2nd Amendment Scalia agreed with was pretty much invented in the 1970s so that tells you how much originalists actually care about original intent.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

The adoption of the common law at the state level has less to do with the US Constitution than with state statutes and constitutions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reception_statute#United_States

There's no federal reception statute I'm aware of (but see the Northwest Ordinance of 1787). But the Constitution does mention the common law in the Seventh Amendment, in addition to a lot of provisions that implicitly import common law concepts.

Ah ok I think this link answers my question, thank you.

quote:

For example, the New York Constitution of 1777[4] provides that:

[S]uch parts of the common law of England, and of the statute law of England and Great Britain, and of the acts of the legislature of the colony of New York, as together did form the law of the said colony on the 19th day of April, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy-five, shall be and continue the law of this State, subject to such alterations and provisions as the legislature of this State shall, from time to time, make concerning the same.
One way you could interpret this is that since only the legislature is expressly authorized to alter the existing body of common law, the intent was to freeze judicial interpretation in 1777 and no new interpretation or precedent is allowed.

I guess the argument is that this was indeed the intent, and also by implication the founders intended the federal government to be set up the same way?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Hypothetically, if Roberts assigned himself a 6-3 decision and the other 5 all signed on to the same concurrence-in-part-dissent-in-part, how would that be treated in terms of precedence? Like if he writes one of those incredibly narrow interpretations but a real majority say "no, it's more widely applicable" does it get applied narrowly or widely as a precedent?

This may be a weird question and I hope I'm asking it in a way that makes sense.

The way I understand it, only the parts that command a majority are precedent. So if Roberts' narrow opinion is a subset of the other four justices' broad opinion, then you had five votes for the narrow stuff and four votes for the broad stuff so the narrow stuff only becomes precedent.

If the other four didn't agree with part of Roberts' narrow opinion either then the precedent would be even more narrow because only the parts everyone agreed on would be precedent.

If the concurring opinions were completely incompatible with each other and the only thing they had in common was the outcome, a situation that I'm 95% sure has come up before, then it's just a goddamn mess and there is no precedent, and lower courts can't take any rule from that other than "if you see the exact same set of facts again, order this outcome"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

galenanorth posted:

constitutionally unbannable and unregulated privatized nuke ownership

edit: https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/ywn7jk/this-test-could-redefine-what-weapons-are-protected-by-the-second-amendment

all of it seems arbitrary to me, not being a lawyer

There's a long tradition of viewing weapons which require more than one person to function efficiently (artillery pieces would've been the obvious example when the Bill of Rights was drafted) as "ordnance", not "arms" and thus more open to restriction than handguns, rifles, and the like.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Just to add on to VitalSigns who pretty much explained a narrow 5-4:

You asked about a 6-3 where Roberts tried to assign himself the opinion. The other 5 can still go "lol gently caress your opinion, we'll write a broader opinion", then the broadest opinion that got 5 votes controls. The Chief Justice does get the privilege of assigning himself the majority opinion, but he still has to hang onto the votes of 4 other judges. If he can't do that, then he is no longer writing the majority opinion. A Chief Justice who decides to play the game has to figure out exactly where the line is where if he writes it any narrower he loses the 5th vote, and stay just within that line.

If the supreme court ever announces a "concurrence" that gets 5 votes, then its not really a concurrence; it actually controls. Because of that, to make things less confusing if the original opinion writer loses the majority, then the other opinion is called the majority, and his narrow opinion gets relegated to a mere concurrence.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 23, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is the a requirement on ruling assignment being dolled out relatively evenly or is that just etiquette? Like in a hypothetical situation where you have eight justices who all just cannot loving stand the ninth, could they refuse forever to allow that justice to write a ruling?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sydin posted:

Is the a requirement on ruling assignment being dolled out relatively evenly or is that just etiquette? Like in a hypothetical situation where you have eight justices who all just cannot loving stand the ninth, could they refuse forever to allow that justice to write a ruling?

Its a workload issue. There's no hard and fast rule, but the supreme court gets a crapton of unanimous "lol, the appeals court was obviously wrong" slapdowns, so its easy to spread out the work.

So, Thomas tends to get a lot of those unanimous and near-unanimous opinions since his crazy opinions can't hold a majority for anything that is remotely controversial or complex. He then punishes his clerks with an endless stream of concurrences/dissents, so we get a weird Thomas opinion on a ton of cases.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sydin posted:

The most senior judge in the majority gets to decide who writes it (so usually Roberts, but if he's in the minority whoever's most senior gets to.) They can assign it to whoever they want to, so that situation could indeed theoretically happen.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
That makes sense, thanks to both of you.

If that happened, and then the Chief Justice said "whoopsie!" and rewrote the opinion to one they could concur with, would the public ever know?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thanks, that's interesting. So Thomas is the closest we have to that hypothetical judge everybody thinks is a weirdo and doesn't want anywhere near most cases.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If that happened, and then the Chief Justice said "whoopsie!" and rewrote the opinion to one they could concur with, would the public ever know?

Probably not, my guess is there's a lot of politicking behind the scenes in SCOTUS. It definitely feels like Roberts jumped on the Title VII majority because he knew Gorusch was going to vote with the liberals and wanted to make sure he could assign the ruling to him.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Usually not. Almost nothing ever leaks from the SCOTUS. From what we understand, whoever is originally assigned the majority opinion by the CJ or the most senior judge in the majority is only ever promised a chance at writing it, and there's a lot of back and forth as the opinion is written. If they can't hold the majority, then someone else ends up with it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sydin posted:

I can't find any information on this, but I feel like if it was ever going to happen it would be the Hughes Court and James McReynolds.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

hobbesmaster posted:

Whoever upthread quoted Hammurabi.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's a long tradition of viewing weapons which require more than one person to function efficiently (artillery pieces would've been the obvious example when the Bill of Rights was drafted) as "ordnance", not "arms" and thus more open to restriction than handguns, rifles, and the like.

Was there any distinction on ownership of ordnance vs arms then? I recall a argument that people were obviously allowed to operate merchantmen armed with cannon.

Though I guess that would become a precedent argument then.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AlexanderCA posted:

I recall a argument that people were obviously allowed to operate merchantmen armed with cannon.

Was that a constitutional right, or just something congress allowed/didn't ban by statute

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Thats my question yeah, did they consider them arms? Did they intend to include future weapons?

Now I imagine sovcits operating ships of the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

AlexanderCA posted:

Thats my question yeah, did they consider them arms? Did they intend to include future weapons?

Now I imagine sovcits operating ships of the line.

At least it would solve the problem of mass shootings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CDtSHAmoFg