Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

dr mario is better than tetris. dr mario owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tetris 2 > puyo pop > dr mario > panel de pon > tetris

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hatris > Lumines > Dr Mario > Tetris

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

First person Tetris is the king of them all.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I dont give a poo poo about the narrative (not exclusive to TLOU, the story in any game is of minor importance to me)

I knew I wasn't alone out there :glomp:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i like a videogame story if its very good or told well using the game, like in thief 2 or deus ex or something, but most of the time the story is boring and about a white short haired stubbled man being angry at people

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i can read stories in a book or the r/relationships thread. i play video games to push buttons. some times i push the buttons fast, some times i push them carefully. but the point is i should be pushing buttons not waiting to push buttons

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

i can read stories in a book or the r/relationships thread. i play video games to push buttons. some times i push the buttons fast, some times i push them carefully. but the point is i should be pushing buttons not waiting to push buttons

Not emptyquoting.

Edit: my biggest pet peeve in gaming, is when a game takes longer than 10 minutes before I actually get to experience gameplay. More than 5 minutes of story intro, hated character creation, etc... is completely unnecessary.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Doom Rooster posted:

Not emptyquoting.

Edit: my biggest pet peeve in gaming, is when a game takes longer than 10 minutes before I actually get to experience gameplay. More than 5 minutes of story intro, hated character creation, etc... is completely unnecessary.

I refunded far cry 5 after forty minutes of "gameplay" and I was still just following NPCs around listening to them have a conversation with other NPCs.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

At one point I had alt-tabbed out of the game to let it play itself, and my character had died in a failed QTE, and required me to go back like 5 minutes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PinheadSlim posted:

Relax, there's just one and they really like playing the "You can't have that opinion if you acsktually played the game!" card every time someone doesn't like a game they like. It's a running theme among certain posters.

I also played TLOU and hated it.

Not true. But I will call out people who obviously haven't played a game having a circle jerk about how bad it is, which goes on a lot in this thread. I couldn't care less if someone doesn't like a game I like. I literally recommended someone to not play TLOU 2 on the same page.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Not true. But I will call out people who obviously haven't played a game having a circle jerk about how bad it is, which goes on a lot in this thread. I couldn't care less if someone doesn't like a game I like. I literally recommended someone to not play TLOU 2 on the same page.

To hate a game, you need to have played it first? I know I hate dating sims, but I've never played one. Does this mean I can't hate dating sims until I play every single one to confirm my feelings for the whole genre or something? Stop running around telling people that their opinions are wrong.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I find pretty much everything about The Last of Us 2 remarkably unappealing but at least the plot isn't "ur a dad" + "zombies" this time.

e: I guess there are still zombies, so nevermind.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

d3lness posted:

To hate a game, you need to have played it first? I know I hate dating sims, but I've never played one. Does this mean I can't hate dating sims until I play every single one to confirm my feelings for the whole genre or something? Stop running around telling people that their opinions are wrong.

You can not like whatever you want, but a bunch of this thread is just people saying poo poo that is outright wrong and then crying when they get called out on it. Also loving lol, at requesting reverence for the opinions people who are incapable of expressing that they don't like a game without calling everyone who likes it stupid.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

you are coming in really strong here on a thread that was not really doing any of what you were claiming, it's pretty weird and seems bait-y

plus you never gave us your puzzle game hierarchy....are you a loving cop?!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I always liked Super Puzzlefighter best.

Also lmao @ that bizarre meltdown.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

You can not like whatever you want, but a bunch of this thread is just people saying poo poo that is outright wrong and then crying when they get called out on it. Also loving lol, at requesting reverence for the opinions people who are incapable of expressing that they don't like a game without calling everyone who likes it stupid.

Guy, like what are you on about? How do you know people have not played the game? Who have you seen cry about being called on a post? Who is asking for reverence of opinions?

You are living a different reality from (most of) the rest of the posters here. Asking you to not reply "Haven't played it! Fake news!" every single time someone says TLOU is not good is neither crying nor asking for reverence of opinions. It's people asking you stop being annoying. You appear to be doing that classic Goon Projection thing were you imagine everyone else to be angry care posting when it is in fact you are the person who is doing that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I always liked Super Puzzlefighter best.

Also lmao @ that bizarre meltdown.

there was a Castlevania clone of super puzzle fighter for iOS that really owned, it never updated though so it's unplayable on new phones

it just recycled assets from every generation so you'd have muddy gross ancient psone sprites next to modern-ish dawn of sorrow sprites and stuff though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i think zeropunctuation is pretty annoying but he did have one very good point that i always remembered: the original demons in doom have very distinct facial expressions that tell you something about them on sight (the baron of hell is arrogant, the cacodemon is gluttonous, the imp is pissed etc) which were replaced with generic evil horn faces in the later game, that's how a videogame story should work, just little visual or unconscious cues that don't interrupt the gameplay.

it's also why duke nukem 3d rules, it does have a story: gross perverted aliens have invaded earth and are stealing all of the babes and duke has to kill them to save the babes, it never even really spells this out anywhere ingame, but it still works as a story and it's immediately motivating you to start playing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Guy, like what are you on about? How do you know people have not played the game? Who have you seen cry about being called on a post? Who is asking for reverence of opinions?

You are living a different reality from (most of) the rest of the posters here. Asking you to not reply "Haven't played it! Fake news!" every single time someone says TLOU is not good is neither crying nor asking for reverence of opinions. It's people asking you stop being annoying. You appear to be doing that classic Goon Projection thing were you imagine everyone else to be angry care posting when it is in fact you are the person who is doing that.

I dunno maybe I’m projecting too much, but so many people in this thread just constantly act like complete assholes and I burnt out on it. I tend to go into combat mode when I see people saying things I find really dumb about something I like. I don’t even really do that in other threads I just cannot loving stand some of the posters in here. Most of you are all right though it’s just a small handful.

Tbh its on me for continuing to read a thread that just consistently annoys me, ill un-bookmark it. Peace.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, i like dissenting opinions and going against received wisdom, but the last of us is just such a generic looking game that i cant be excited by it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm very sad that people don't like what I like so I am going to post about it and then get upset and leave when no one agrees with me.

Unpopular videogame opinion coming:

VeniX3, please come back and tell us all about your experience playing The Last of Us part 2.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I like this thread because its cathartic to read and no one really takes huge offence at bad opinions since thats why they came here

anyway heres mine: Judgement is way better than any of the Yakuza games, Yak 0 was cool but theres way too many games and I'm not playing something with ps3 level graphics

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yak 0 was cool but theres way too many games and I'm not playing something with ps3 level graphics

6 and the remake of 2 are on a new engine and also kick a ton of rear end. People complained that 6 didn’t have as much stuff but I don’t really see that as a problem, the series had waaay too much stuff. Having to take a step back and rebuild made for an experience that was way tighter... and was still a 50-70 hour game for me. I got so hooked on that baseball manager side game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

in the first harvest moon game the correct choice for your bride is obviously the church girl which you can educate into a life of lust and sin

the drunk girl at the bar is easy mode and a red herring

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

6 and the remake of 2 are on a new engine and also kick a ton of rear end. People complained that 6 didn’t have as much stuff but I don’t really see that as a problem, the series had waaay too much stuff. Having to take a step back and rebuild made for an experience that was way tighter... and was still a 50-70 hour game for me. I got so hooked on that baseball manager side game.

Sorry I should clarify, I played Yak2 as well and it was awesome, its 3, 4 and 5 I just can't be bothered with.

I also don't get how people spend 70 hours in those games, I finished Yak2 in a brisk 22 hours and I felt I was ready for it to end by then

I'll probably get to 6 next year

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

I keep trying to get into Yakuza Kiwami. I know there is a lot of fun to be had and I enjoy it too a point. After a while I just feel totally overloaded with all the billions of things I have to do for the millions of activities their are. I want to like it because of its variety, but that variety hurts it for me as well.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

in the first harvest moon game the correct choice for your bride is obviously the church girl which you can educate into a life of lust and sin

the drunk girl at the bar is easy mode and a red herring

Which one was the first one? I don't think I played it. I remember playing Harvest Moon 64 and the obvious choice seemed to be Karen because she was pretty and useless and I was a 12 year old boy.

imo you can tell that Stardew Valley is a superior farm simulator because it has several strong choices for waifu/husbando instead of everyone agreeing on the same one or two people. What a game.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 23, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

d3lness posted:

I keep trying to get into Yakuza Kiwami. I know there is a lot of fun to be had and I enjoy it too a point. After a while I just feel totally overloaded with all the billions of things I have to do for the millions of activities their are. I want to like it because of its variety, but that variety hurts it for me as well.

Yeah all the Yakuza games I've played are mostly just bee-lining the story and occasionally stopping for a shot in the batting cages if I walk past them. The side content isn't *that* enthralling that it deserves more than a glance

I do browsing the selections at the cafes though

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shibawanko posted:

i think zeropunctuation is pretty annoying but he did have one very good point that i always remembered: the original demons in doom have very distinct facial expressions that tell you something about them on sight (the baron of hell is arrogant, the cacodemon is gluttonous, the imp is pissed etc) which were replaced with generic evil horn faces in the later game, that's how a videogame story should work, just little visual or unconscious cues that don't interrupt the gameplay.
i never really like... ascribed distinct emotions to the demons but yeah that's a really good point, most of the enemies in the Good Doom Games are distinct as gently caress compared to the Bad Doom Games (all of them after 2 except the cellphone RPG)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Which one was the first one? I don't think I played it. I remember playing Harvest Moon 64 and the obvious choice seemed to be Karen because she was pretty and useless and I was a 12 year old boy.

imo you can tell that Stardew Valley is a superior farm simulator because it has several strong choices for waifu/husbando instead of everyone agreeing on the same one or two people. What a game.

yeah i also went for karen in that one because she was the most troubled and i was 15. the first one was the one on the snes though

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

i have the exact opposite problem. i've only been able to see the PS5 unveiling, the UE5 demo and the new paper mario game. i am loving LOST with like 70-90% of what's been announced so far. and a lot of people i know feel the same way.
At least the other broadcasts are available on YouTube to look at. Though to be fair a lot of game trailers leave you more confused than you started.

Speaking of such, the NextGen presentation was this morning and aside from Suda51 introducing it, it was an utterly boring slog through a pile of sequels to the same old JRPG series. I know other folks like the things, but I just look at them and go :effort:

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah all the Yakuza games I've played are mostly just bee-lining the story and occasionally stopping for a shot in the batting cages if I walk past them. The side content isn't *that* enthralling that it deserves more than a glance

I just started the Fist of the North Star game made by the Yakuza team and it's pretty fun so far. I'm guessing that the death animations might get old soon, but game seems to move along quickly. There's a car to drive too

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

food court bailiff posted:

there was a Castlevania clone of super puzzle fighter for iOS that really owned, it never updated though so it's unplayable on new phones

it just recycled assets from every generation so you'd have muddy gross ancient psone sprites next to modern-ish dawn of sorrow sprites and stuff though

The VO guy for Alucard in that was never in any other reissue of SOTN, and every once in a while the voice clip of "IT'S OVAH" from the end of a round pops into my head. Takes me like ten minutes to remember where it came from because the game's unplayable. :smith:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Hector Delgado posted:

I just started the Fist of the North Star game made by the Yakuza team and it's pretty fun so far. I'm guessing that the death animations might get old soon, but game seems to move along quickly. There's a car to drive too

I've seen people mention this and it basically sounds like an anime-up'ed Yakuza game which can be no bad thing

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm bad at Yakuza combat, so I need all the extra help I can get from skill ups. No bee-lining for Dumb Thumb D3l!

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I played TLOU1 and gave up a few hours in because fuuuuccckkk this is supposed to be a video game. I picked it back up a couple years later and played it all the way through and ended up loving it. I know a lot of people that gave up on it for the same reasons I did the first time and can't blame them. The game gets way too up it's own rear end with the cut scenes and exposition sometimes.

But the actual game part is really good imo, and even the story is cool they just need to be more concise in telling it. I think that's a lot of the issue people have with the series.

I'm not gonna comment on 2 because I'm not done with it I think I'm half through (but that's a complete guess) but so far it has an identical list of pros and cons as 1. I don't need to see Joel playing Ellie a song on guitar for 3 minutes, they're close, I get it, they fought across the country together I was loving there.

But still they're awesome games, the pacing is the only flaw but it can be a glaring one.

e: also both games do get to the game and stay game dense for the rest of the game, with a couple dives back into exposition, but it's generally the beginning that is off putting. Once you get to the game, it's the game.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 23, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People just love to hate The Last of Us, they hate it because its a PlayStation exclusive, because its a gritty dark story, because its generic zombie game, because its a stealth/crafting/shooting jack of all trades

It's fine its a 8/10 game, its the sort of thing if you came across it by chance totally blind you'd either play an hour and never think of it again or play through the entire experience and have a great time but if someone told you it was great you'd be left cold and wondering why people found it so special

it is the big lebowski of video games

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 23, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i don't completely hate cutscenes and story oriented games either, like i can see the appeal of something like final fantasy xv (i couldn't actually get into it myself though, i don't really have enough patience), it's a game about bros and hanging out and you play it to see some bro stuff, i can get that, but cutscenes and dialogue are especially bad in action games and especially if the story is already generic as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

This isn't an opinion on it either but it's kind of funny in a jarring way to me how TLOU is this story about loss and suffering, and people doing morally grey things in an amoral world where survival is number 1 and all of the damage it causes, and cycles of violence and people trying to break that cycle, and all of these other high brow themes where the characters have to bear the weight of the violence they commit. Then in the game parts you just indiscriminately murder 100s of nameless people.