Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Anyone else feeling that more and more SC haters are attacking our sub? posted:

I just read through the comments of a high voted post and the stuff in there reads like from the refund sub. I mean the style and SCAM bitching.

And sensible comments, even if just half neutral, are strongly downvoted.

While the post is valid, the comments in hat thread feels very off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/hdxr20/3_months_ago_cig_promised_more_regular_updates/

And it is by far not the first one where I had the feeling in the last months.

There were thread attempts of various kinds. One attacking SC with an 1 hour long video which received long praise from two people right away just minutes after posting and one giving instant gold for the post. That post luckily got closed by the mods pretty fast.

I really feel that the people who have made being against this game a personal hobby are trying to make it even more so.

Anyone else feeling like this is getting worse?

It's important to know when anger is warranted and when it isn't posted:

I won't do what other posts seem to be doing, Which is riding and exploiting the backer currents frustrations to get myself some cheap and quick karma, And certainly won't ride the bandwagon.

It's important to remember that anger is 100% warranted when there is:

1- Lack of care

2- Active Negligence.

And as hard as this may sound to some at the moment, CIG have been preparing and working hard for this week for a quite a while, And this includes the design, Art, Backend and DevOps department...etc, Which means there is nothing more they wanted than for this to go as smoothly possible, And they're just as surprised and frustrated with these issues as we are, And there are now devs working on their weekend to resolve them.

Outages and issues due to sudden high traffic happen to a lot of games and online services, And what's frustrating about them is by definition you can't 100% prepare for them until..........You get sudden high traffic.

This isn't the first free-fly week, Nor the first expo CIG has done, And almost all of them have gone very well in the past. Which just further shows (for me at least), That these current bugs must've been extremely hard to catch before the launch.

And despite the shouting and the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude, I've yet to see any evidence that CIG showed any lack of care or any negligence to the launch of Invictus week.

While everyone is in the right to be frustrated (i certainly am), Please think about this objectively, And try to suppress that primal emotional urge to put the blame on someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I'm starting to think that whatever Crytek uncovered about Squadron42 in discovery that caused them to postpone the lawsuit and caused CIG to eventually settle out of court might have been big enough to cause the delays in the video and the updates on progress and the release date. They hinted at it being HUUUUUUGE in the redacted documents, I really need to know what it was. I'm hoping that it was that SQ42 was restarted from scratch last year after everything was deemed unusable and they moved the art assets to a new engine.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018
Hello Commandos

I have to ask... are there any semi-reliable collection of records/word of mouth how it looks inside CIG?

I mean something about how CR micromanage everything , how is everybody happy with Chris as CEO or anything interesting.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

r/Games: Hopeful Science Fiction Games? posted:

quote:

Do you have a PC? Try Star Citizen

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com

No, it doesn't cost a fortune. Wait for one of the many free fly weekends if you're undecided. It's a blast.

PS It's in ALPHA, with no firm release date. If you can live with that, give it a try.

quote:

"I'm so tired of all these games about capitalist horrors."
"Have you tried this predatory money sucking game that is one?"

quote:

You have a very interesting opinion. Please elaborate. I have roughly 250+ hours in Star Citizen, a game that allegedly "doesn't exist" and I paid 35$, which equals 10 minutes of eating at a cheap restaurant.

Do you have a problem with crowdfunding? Is it only ok if people donate cash to some made up social justice bullshit cause, or are they allowed to donate for paychecks of a 500+ team of game developers?

Also which part of "wait for a free fly weekend" was hard to understand for you?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

HorseBodyInspector posted:

Hello Commandos

I have to ask... are there any semi-reliable collection of records/word of mouth how it looks inside CIG?

I mean something about how CR micromanage everything , how is everybody happy with Chris as CEO or anything interesting.

The HR letter by a lead character artist called David Jennison is pretty good.

(He seemingly reached out to this site to clarify that it was never meant to be public, and DS said the same. It was cited in the big Forbes piece, which was presumably well researched, so seems to be odds on legit).

e: There's like a whole comedy waterfall of other stuff, but it's not really anything you can stand up as being legit to a backer (despite coming from guys who've been very consistent in what they say).

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 23, 2020

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mirificus posted:

quote:

which equals 10 minutes of eating at a cheap restaurant.
I think the establishment he went to might not have been a restaurant, as such. And that kind of establishment rarely qualifies as “cheap”. Maybe “tacky”, which is a slightly different thing…

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

LaughingWallaby posted:

I've not been following this for very long, but a tech company delaying a marketing video like this for so long is quite bizarre. It reminds me more of working at older engineering companies, where feedback has to bubble up and down like seven layers of management/engineering, which makes it take months to do the simplest things.
On the technical side, wasn't SQ42 supposed to be the "low hanging fruit" thing that CIG thought could be developed quickly (compared to the multiplayer PU)? I wonder if they've just run out of excuses for delaying the release at this point.
On a different note, is there a chance that the Crytek lawsuit has left CIG in a position where they think its better to not proceed with SQ42 at all?

That’s a good question. You’d definitely think they’d be able to put out a semi-decent linear single player space combat game after 9 years, but here we are.

We’ve theorized in the thread that SQ42 was completely scrapped at least once as Chris has desperately tried to keep up with modern gaming, and there’s some strong evidence that this happened after they showed off that horribly boring vertical slice at the end of 2017.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

colonelwest posted:

That’s a good question. You’d definitely think they’d be able to put out a semi-decent linear single player space combat game after 9 years, but here we are.

We’ve theorized in the thread that SQ42 was completely scrapped at least once as Chris has desperately tried to keep up with modern gaming, and there’s some strong evidence that this happened after they showed off that horribly boring vertical slice at the end of 2017.

Is SQ54 still going to be in multiple episodes, or have they changed things when I wasn't looking?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Dooguk posted:

Is SQ54 still going to be in multiple episodes, or have they changed things when I wasn't looking?

THey're 1000% going to manage to put out 10 hours of gameplay, 3 hours of which is cutscenes, call it episode one, then claim that's all your $40 bought you.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

This is fine!

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

SoftNum posted:

THey're 1000% going to manage to put out 10 hours of gameplay, 3 hours of which is cutscenes, call it episode one, then claim that's all your $40 bought you.

Unskippable cutscenes I hope. Along with unskippable ads for the made up crap they try to hawk. Then S0E2 has a "previously in SQ69" that takes up most of the episode because they ran out of money.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dooguk posted:

I don’t think anyone really knows anymore. It’s been years since CIG has put out any sort of solid information about the game. We really don’t even know what sort of gameplay it’s going to have other than hours of interminable cutscenes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Actually you'll be able to walk away from any character well they are talking and the game will seamlessly adapt. This is a true next-gen experience.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

Pixelate posted:

The HR letter by a lead character artist called David Jennison is pretty good.

(He seemingly reached out to this site to clarify that it was never meant to be public, and DS said the same. It was cited in the big Forbes piece, which was presumably well researched, so seems to be odds on legit).

e: There's like a whole comedy waterfall of other stuff, but it's not really anything you can stand up as being legit to a backer (despite coming from guys who've been very consistent in what they say).

Thank you. I don't want convince backer. Energy required to do so, will probably be able to reignite dead star.
It's for me, from time to time I am talking with my friends, which partly share my morbid curiosity with this project, and I want to amuse them.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsoLouA44_0

lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

MedicineHut posted:

This is Star Citizen comms in its purest form. It is all like this. One of the main reasons for delving in that pointless exercise is to pass across the subliminal message that the rest of the game development is progressing well and it is in perfect shape. Cause if it wasn´t why would they be dedicating resources to this stupid stuff? This must mean surely that the really important stuff is done or it´s at no risk at all yes?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The lethality effect is so strong that it even applies within a project- you can be sure he will zero in on the least successful aspects for praise

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

That channel has only 8.4 million subscribers. Amateurs :colbert:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Tolkien level history eh? Star Citizen's development makes an Ent moot appear hasty.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:gary:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inacio posted:

so, remember the total flight model rework and the dogfighting mechanics redesign or whatever?

...this is it:
https://streamable.com/k9cs6r

please applaud

I'm not sure I noticed much outside of the muzzle flash that filled up more than half the screen on both sides when firing. That is impressive and I hope that gun is like super powerful. Though for some reason it didn't seem like it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

hahaahahahaaahah

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

This video really highlights why it's so difficult to explain succinctly how bad Star Citizen is.

The video itself isn't very good, but it gets the very basics across that this game is a mismanaged over bloated mess. It skips all the missed deadlines and outright lies by CIG management and the fact that even with almost 1 star system complete the game is far from functional or fun. They are still at a 50 player server cap which they will likely never resolve so the game is dead even if they somehow pump out 100 star systems.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oh dear. :)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

tag urself im the fat guy in jeans with the sideways belt buckle

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

trucutru posted:

This is fine!

Don't worry, as soon as a new ship is on sale everything will be back to normal in Citizen-Land. Who cares about SQ42, anyway? They could cancel SQ42 tomorrow, wrap it in nice words saying "we move the resources to the PU to make it even better and more ambitious" and everything would be fine.
I think as soon Chris has sorted out his divorce and is back in full force, we will read something along those lines sooner or later from him. The Citizens will be happy with it and 2 more years down the road SQ42 never existed.

Buy an Idris.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Not a fan of Bootcha's new format.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Just one more part of the crowd.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mentioned Bootcha in comments, got a reply:

Concerned Citizen posted:

Uh the guy who put a lot of money in SC then when he wanted them to change stuff "because he is an investor" they sent him away and he developed a mental problem hating on the project so much he can't let it go...

Does anyone know about Bootcha's mental issues? I am worried about him now.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

I'am the code monkey who would rather be dead

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Mentioned Bootcha in comments, got a reply:

Does anyone know about Bootcha's mental issues? I am worried about him now.

I've read he saw the light again and bought back in, now owning a monocle and a top hat. Also, someone said he writes Wing Commander fan fiction featuring Ben Lesnick nowadays.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Just one more part of the crowd.

I like that stern.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ggangensis posted:

I'am the code monkey who would rather be dead

I'm death.

Dead at the hands of the Ben Lesnick Triple Treat Challenge

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Page 888 the true Star Citizen haters page ..... it just hate hate hate!

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Kosumo posted:

I like that stern.

Fake stern. She's clearly had a barnacle removing procedure...

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

ggangensis posted:

I've read he saw the light again and bought back in, now owning a monocle and a top hat. Also, someone said he writes Wing Commander fan fiction featuring Ben Lesnick nowadays.

I heard he was caught rummaging through the dumpster outside of CIG Austin and was sentenced to 6 months in space jail.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

I like that stern.

Mu77ley posted:

Fake stern. She's clearly had a barnacle removing procedure...

I'm trying to be good and you are asking for it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

"[img posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/rsi/static/tavern/375fce0f6106c419dae47eed27240242.png[/img]"]

Data is Beautiful - The history of Arena Commander activity