Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I haven't watched the video (and never will) but is she saying this in the sort of exasperated tone that would indicate she thinks this is too high a bar to clear?
Yes.

:hotpickle:

It's the googles fault, Graham!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

*Citation: Arty Morty, Fuckwit Study** (2020)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA6_WgzQt-0

dear loving god this man needs someone to make his thumbnails for him

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Banksy Crayon Boy:

Not sure if you are being serious - quince is a food, sort of like a pear. Appropriate that you should comment:

The owl & the pussycat went to sea... dined on mince and slices of quince which they ate with a runcible* spoon .....

*sort of like a spork

Quite serious as I never learned that nursery rhyme and while I know it's a word I can't remember what it's a word for. In fact I can't remember any nursery rhymes off the top of my head, or almost anything about my childhood before age 16 which may be related.

I might also have been confusing quince with quiche but glad I hit the right lexical continent by accident at least.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ms Adequate posted:

The issue for us is less in the amount and more in the fact that winning what we're due is always such a massive, stressful slog, there's a constant fear of being denied/having it taken away and having to fight for it, and it rolls back around every couple of years. Not that my experience is the only one out there of course, there's problems of all kinds, but a lot would be solved if the government's attitude wasn't "Anyone claiming disability/JSA is almost certainly a chancer and we will implement trial by ordeal".

This.

While people are worrying about assessments, having to reclaim, having to appeal and so forth, spurious suspension of money for being 5 mins late for an appointment etc, they're too mentally occupied with this rather than anything constructive. That constant nag at the back of your mind.

Keep people worrying about the next meal, a roof over their heads, which school to choose for their kids, which doc or dentist to sign up with (if you can!), all these things that should be just simple and easy, because it is a waste of potentially creative, innovative, productive human brain power to have to worry about these things. But it also means they don't have the mental energy to do anything more than read a headline (which quite often bears little relation to the content) and a couple of sound bites.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Quince is a fruit, puce is a colour, and quinsy is a Victorian disease that a friend of mine ended up getting because we are a Normal Country. That's not related though.

i had a quinsy a couple of years back and i can definitely not recommend it, though it was pretty easy to treat once it was diagnosed. definitely a big fan of this nhs thing we have, good thing nobody's trying to dismantle it. gory details: basically it's a big sore pus-filled growth in your throat that makes it painful to talk and swallow, got a nice guy at the hospital to stick a needle in my mouth and extract a nice wad of black pus and give me a big dose of antibiotics and all was well. best bit was when my gp got excited at seeing such a rare condition and got his student to come in to gawp at it, then asked me some more questions so she could hear how stupid i sounded when i talked. happy to help educate and entertain

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Angepain posted:

ok i don't know what the precise limit to how much Posting About Graham Linehan the thread can take but i just wanted to share this wonderful clip where Graham complains about how Google is pushing the trans agenda by not promoting the three or so flawed studies that terfs trot out every time they need a sciencey-looking number, and instead showing studies that must be wrong because they show being trans is a thing, actually

https://twitter.com/joss_prior/status/1275425411929968641

I don't know what I'm meant to be outraged about that just seems like every other Zoom call, wretched and depressing, but yo Linehams a Douglas Murray poster?

Douglas Murray is legit the most interesting and meaningfully establishment influential person living today that is also a crypto-nazi, and that's me saying that cunts here call me a crypto-nazi well here's your actual real deal, this piece of poo poo needs more attention paid to him. I'm gonna effort-post about this charismatic oval office someday but as a general rule anyone who uncritically cites Murray is dogwhistling/is an actual fascist Lineham needs to crawl into a cave,

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 23, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1275384662798581760?s=19

Just memory hole the entire virus.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I guess it is pretty British to prefer risk of death over slight social awkwardness

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're volunteering people to die of it then I volunteer allison.

If people want to die so much I wish they'd just sort it out themselves rather than involving the rest of society.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

'Generation Me' must start thinking about others if we're to stop the spread of coronavirus

little did we know, she was talking about her own generation

e: they do just sound like children with their "it's so unfair, I don't want to" whinging, but at least children have a reasonable excuse for not understanding the first thing about the world around them

E2: lol this one doesn't even understand how pronouns work

https://twitter.com/LouAlexa/status/1275509901171789824?s=20

XMNN fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 24, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the most powerful man in the world is so loving stupid

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1275567239517868033?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol the american tom watson is also an out of touch centrist

https://twitter.com/tomwatson/status/1273270522403569671?s=20
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1275606869529296898?s=20

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

XMNN posted:

lol quoting douglas murray would definitely be an "are we the bad guys?" moment for anyone with any capacity for introspection

Vitamin P posted:

Douglas Murray is legit the most interesting and meaningfully establishment influential person living today that is also a crypto-nazi... as a general rule anyone who uncritically cites Murray is dogwhistling/is an actual fascist Lineham needs to crawl into a cave,

Not that I need more things to chuck on either the "mainstream commentators that are evil fucks" or the "reasons why Graham Linehan is a piece of poo poo" piles (FYI I've been saying Father Ted is overrated for years :smuggo:), but who is Douglas Murray?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Think this thread should get ready to move to a separate site given Lowtax is now calling the third woman he beat a liar

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ is there a thread or anything? I just saw someone else talking about that

might be facing the great discord/irc schism

Angepain posted:

happy to help educate and entertain

sounds like you're a high-impact patient with a lot to offer

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 24, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Niric posted:

Not that I need more things to chuck on either the "mainstream commentators that are evil fucks" or the "reasons why Graham Linehan is a piece of poo poo" piles (FYI I've been saying Father Ted is overrated for years :smuggo:), but who is Douglas Murray?

an islamophobe who wrote a book that is literally great replacement theory

sorry for just quoting Wikipedia, but it does a p good job summing him up

quote:

Murray is a frequent critic of Islam, and has identified what he sees as, "a creed of Islamic fascism—a malignant fundamentalism, woken from the Dark Ages to assault us here and now".

In 2008, Murray listed the cases of 27 writers, activists, politicians and artists - including Sir Salman Rushdie, Maryam Namazie and Anwar Shaikh, all three of whom had received death threats due to their criticism of Islam. Murray said that "Unless Muslims are allowed to discuss their religion without fear of attack there can be no chance of reform or genuine freedom of conscience within Islam."

In February 2006, Murray wrote of Muslims,

Conditions for Muslims in Europe must be made harder across the board: Europe must look like a less attractive proposition... From long before we were first attacked it should have been made plain that people who come into Europe are here under our rules and not theirs … Where a mosque has become a centre of hate it should be closed and pulled down. If that means that some Muslims don't have a mosque to go to, then they'll just have to realise that they aren't owed one.

After Murray refused Paul Goodman's offer to disown these comments, the Conservative Party frontbench severed formal relations with Murray and his Centre for Social Cohesion.

In The Strange Death of Europe, Murray argued that Europe "is committing suicide" by allowing non-European immigration and losing its "faith in its beliefs". In the book, Murray defends the German nationalist, anti-Islam, far-right group Pegida. Murray also writes that the English nationalist, anti-Islam, far-right English Defence League "had a point". The book described Viktor Orbán, Prime Minister of Hungary, as a better sentinel of "European values" than George Soros. Juliet Samuel of The Telegraph praised the book: "His overall thesis, that a guilt-driven and exhausted Europe is playing fast and loose with its precious modern values by embracing migration on such a scale, is hard to refute". Rod Liddle of The Times called the book "a brilliant, important and profoundly depressing book." Pankaj Mishra's review in The New York Times described the book as "a handy digest of far-right clichés".

In 2010, Murray argued against the motion in an Intelligence Squared US debate titled "Is Islam a Religion of Peace?" In 2014, he argued for the motion in an Oxford Union debate titled "This House Believes postwar Britain has seen too much immigration".
too racist for the conservative party is a p bad sign

like the only thing crypto about his crypto Nazism is that he doesn't march around goose-stepping (so far as I know)

his latest article in the spectator is talking about how the mainstream media don't want you to know that the victims of the reading attack were gay because they want to cover up the fact it was Islamic homophobia that was to blame

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-isn-t-being-mentioned-about-the-reading-attack-victims-/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It was nice posting with you all over the years but I think the forums may struggle to recover from the latest lowtax accusation

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's like a stonetoss made into a poo poo news article.

Ha, yuo are not racist against islam because lib but did u no islam racist against gay? Owned, lib. :smug:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Permaban the fucker Jose. You have the power.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't my buttons don't work on admins

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Ratjaculation posted:

Think this thread should get ready to move to a separate site given Lowtax is now calling the third woman he beat a liar

Welp, I always knew this site would not be here forever, but did not expect it to end like this. :smith:
Here’s the thread for anyone else
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Thank you to everyone for posting here, youce rreally educated and radicalised me as i lurked here over the years.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
drat that sucks, who's going to make an exact SA clone (but with functional code) and organise everyone to migrate?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Guavanaut posted:

Rabbi Altmann and his secretary were sitting in a coffeehouse in Berlin in 1935. "Herr Altmann," said his secretary, "I notice you're reading Der Stürmer! I can't understand why. A Nazi libel sheet! Are you some kind of masochist, or, God forbid, a self-hating Jew?"
"On the contrary, Frau Epstein. When I used to read the Jewish papers, all I learned about were pogroms, riots in Palestine, and assimilation in America. But now that I read Der Stürmer, I see so much more: that the Jews control all the banks, that we dominate in the arts, and that we're on the verge of taking over the entire world. You know – it makes me feel a whole lot better!"

https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.c...ime-change.html

the important part is the far right do literally believe this and it's "blackpilling" the gently caress out of them. i saw an irish skinhead on youtube saying he was going to move into the woods like a byelorussian partizan and a tonne of groypers changing their frog avs to nazbol flags. i guess those infuriatingly online twitch debate bros are winning the economic argument at least and there's plenty of ways to deprogram regular old vanilla racists (as many former skins will confirm).

breadtube existing and going from strength to strength right in the heart of the viper's pit doesnt hurt either.

we'll never reach the "orwell would have words for antifa!" or "mohammed statues" type ultra-cretins but the icy grip of father time around their sagging old throats will.

we're doing it lads.

Ratjaculation posted:

ffs i just re-regged.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Jose posted:

What does the Mod forums look like?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If this place dies I don't have anywhere else to go.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
I lurk here daily and read everything, I never feel I have anything useful to contribute but have enjoyed everything I've read.

If this is the end or it's due imminently, thanks all, it was fun!

zhar
May 3, 2019

the forums didn't die a few months ago when his previous wife literally fled him, what's so different about this one?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a lot of people are losing patience. Also I think that one caused a lot of people to leave.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Can't we just seize the forums and install, I dunno, Jose as our new leader?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be nice, there are a lot of good posters here.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

screencap the mod forum right now you loving coward

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Nothingtoseehere posted:

A better comparison is to plot minimum wage against median wage, since it reflects how minimum wage workers do compared to 'average' workers better. Here's a graph to that extend [from the economist arguing against raising it lol]

The issue is that as the cost of labour has gone up, companies have found various tricks to minimize cost - zero-hour contracts, outsourcing to shell companies, fake 'self-employed' etc. But if you are over 25 and have a stable job giving you 40 hours a week at minimum wage, your takehome is around £ 1,300 a month - Which can be perfectly fine depending on your housing costs. Compared to most countries, it's extremely generous on paper.

It's worth noting that there if a big difference between the North/South of England with the GDP per head in London being almost twice that of the North West and North East combined.

e: Hello lurkers, hello thread! I hope this place doesn't go down but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeuhCQwwEBw&t=62s

justcola fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 24, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Just checking in with the ol' Arctic Circle

Oh. Oh no.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Just checking in with the ol' Arctic Circle

Oh. Oh no.

Why... Why is it fire?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Necrothatcher posted:

Can't we just seize the forums and install, I dunno, Jose as our new leader?

This but VideoGames.

VideoGames moderating moderator actions only mind, that's the only way you can have a not-crazy workload.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Well I hope the forums don't go away because I literally wouldn't know where else to post but gently caress it I'll join the discord just in case something does happen.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I hate using huge discords but gently caress it, may as well have a last resort handy. What is it?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

All these posts will be lost, like tears in the rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Discord link in the op is expired fwiw