Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

NtotheTC posted:

That's kind of what I'm talking about. There's a lot of words in that post from the devs that basically amount to "we reduce the grip by X%". It's good that they modulate it based on "amount of rain"- I think F1 2019 does that as well- but that's not a tenth of the complexity needed for a solid wet driving model.

Off the top of my head you're missing:

- Water pooling (not just depth, but based on the track scan that accurately models where puddles/rivers form)
- track surface temperature
- track core temperature
- wet/dry line crossover
- rubber laydown on the racing line reducing grip
- marbles increasing grip off the racing line

and more that I'll have to ask OhsH about because he's the karting nerd. These aren't just arbitrary "realism" points either, but those are just the components that are needed to make wet weather driving in a sim behave even slightly like in real life, hunting for the grip, avoiding pooled water, etc etc

I find that ACC dev post a bit misleading because it's "Hey, we don't just pick a number and reduce grip! We look at how much it's raining first THEN we pick the number to reduce grip by!" which is great and again I understand it's fun to drive but it's definitely a game version of wet-weather driving not a simulation of wet weather driving. And I'm not saying that iRacing is BETTER because iRacing doesn't even have wet weather right now- the reason being they don't want to half-implement it without being able to do all of the above first. There's not a game on the market that has a good wet weather driving model and there won't be until developers do all of those things- if it's done by ACC first then great I'll have a lot of fun with it, I suspect it won't be because it requires constant, iterative development. If it comes it will be in the "next" Assetto Corsa game whatever that is

Did you even read the post I linked?

Some of what you mention is further down in the thread, namely related to wet/dry line location (the dry line is simulated, although it's based off of real world race data rather than where cars are driving in the game) and crossover and water pooling (it turns out the laser scan data gave inaccurate results because water pooling relies too much on stuff external to the track, so they replaced it with data from actual races)

Rubber laydown is mentioned as reducing grip immediately after rain, plus more detail. Temperatures are discussed. Marbles are discussed. Everything is in there.

I only pasted a fraction of the post. I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, but everything you're mentioning is directly addressed in that thread, mostly on the first page. I apologize if you thought that the snippet I quoted was the entirety of it. All your bullet points are addressed.

ssb fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
ACC surface models the track correctly, even in the rain, but it doesn't model physics of the tyre in the sense that it reacts to the surface from first principles, it uses instead ranges of expected values for the tyre and the surface and combines them depending on condition, using 5 reference points of contact across the tyre.

poo poo, less than a year ago they used *one* contact point which led to sudden state changes when transitioning across kerbs (the "kerb of death" behaviour that used to be really bad in ACC).

It's all a process, the approaches of the teams are different but none of the creators are going to be satisfied with wildly unrealistic behaviour, and expecting perfection in any given iteration of a model is ridiculous. Instead look at the improvements on what came before.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So apparently there's going to be definitely a Project CARS 3, and I suppose because Codemasters, they went back to car acquisition via career mode. Which sucks, I want to hotlap the tracks, not do races and challenges for "XP" to buy and customize cars with.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So apparently there's going to be definitely a Project CARS 3, and I suppose because Codemasters, they went back to car acquisition via career mode. Which sucks, I want to hotlap the tracks, not do races and challenges for "XP" to buy and customize cars with.

Codemasters doesn't seem to have anything to do with the development of the game, their logo isn't in the trailers and it's still being published by Bandai Namco.

It's going to be completely ignored though since it's coming out in a year with both Forza Motorsport 8 and Gran Turismo 7.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

njsykora posted:

Codemasters doesn't seem to have anything to do with the development of the game, their logo isn't in the trailers and it's still being published by Bandai Namco.

It's going to be completely ignored though since it's coming out in a year with both Forza Motorsport 8 and Gran Turismo 7.

It’s coming out in a month or two but everything else is completely true including being ignored.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah, they're going away from the sim angle and trying to make a Forza/GT type game which is going to go well when they're up against the full might of MS/Sony.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That sounds like a terrible idea.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bit sad about this. I actually really like PCars2. It's no hardcore sim, but racing that in VR (where it performs really good imo), in a thunderstorm, driving through a river that runs across the track...I really like that and do that from time to time.

No idea how many hours I played outside of "the world is ending, this is the apocalypse, last chance to set a hotlap at Nords"-mode though.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I never really got on board with how either pCars felt, but I hope they have some kind of agreement with Reiza to get their FFB improvements back into the engine. In that case I'd be excited for a better Forza on PC.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I Loved P-cars on the early "levels" of the carreer mode.. once you start getting into the more powerful prod cars (AE86 / SKyline etc) it just seems like their main purpose is to break traction at more than 50% throttle. I haven't played enough since I moved to git gud maybe I will someday.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
P Cars 2 in the day to night transition and a storm blowing in is still one of my top VR things, in a Jag XJR at night on old Spa it's a religious experience

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Project CARS 3 defense, Gran Turismo 7 doesn't have a release date, and Forza Motorsport 8 is no where to be seen. I wonder if FM8 is even coming out this year after all. Gran Turismo takes forever to develop, it will likely not be out in the next couple years. I think PC3 will be a really good game to tie us over until the two major racing games finally release.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I've wanted a VR racing game with an actual decent career mode so hopefully PC3 can do better than PC2 did on that front.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I pulled the trigger on an entry-level racing wheel (Thrustmaster TMX) to go with the flightstick I got for a bargain the other day. Now I'm considering building a seat station to house them both and just be fully immersed since I have a VR rig already. I have hosed up badly.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Novasol posted:

I pulled the trigger on an entry-level racing wheel (Thrustmaster TMX) to go with the flightstick I got for a bargain the other day. Now I'm considering building a seat station to house them both and just be fully immersed since I have a VR rig already. I have hosed up badly.

Red pill blue pill.jpg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Novasol posted:

You have hosed up goodly. Having a rig owns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel, and I am having trouble getting Logitech Profiler to detect my wheel. This is on 64bit Windows 10. My wheel works just fine with iRacing, minus force feedback, I don't get that at all. But other racing sims I am struggling to get them to work with my wheel. Is my wheel possibly broken in some way since Logitech Profile will not detect it? What about drivers? It shows up in Win10 USB / Bluetooth controllers, and Windows 10 shows that all of the buttons, and pedals work. So I am not sure where to go from here to trouble shoot this. I wish Logitechs own software would work.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Are you using the Logitech gaming software? The newer version doesn't work on the old wheels, I've found. I need to use version 5.10 with my G27. May work with yours as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phuzun posted:

Are you using the Logitech gaming software? The newer version doesn't work on the old wheels, I've found. I need to use version 5.10 with my G27. May work with yours as well.

Do you know where I can find this version? I can't find it on the Logitech website. But yes, that is the software I am using.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

There's a fix somewhere on the Internet. It involves using a batch file or some such poo poo. Leme see if I still have it bookmarked.. I do not.

This might be it.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/227300/discussions/0/541907867767745123/

I got tired of dealing with it.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
I just had a similar issue this weekend. Find the wheel in your devices in the control panel, and clicking around I found that there was a problem with my device, and clicking to fix it and restarting solved the issue. I can give a more detailed rundown of exactly what I did in a few hours, not near my computer right now. I tried everything to no avail all weekend, then found that and was racing in 5 minutes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Assetto Corsa with all the DLC is $10 on steam rn, but i see there's a new version out? Did I waste $10?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Not really, no. The new Assetto Corsa, Competizione, is a bit more specialized than the first AC, focusing on GT3 (and soon to be GT4) cars. It's good if you like those and robust online play, but AC the first has more to offer you in terms of content (especially if you factor in mod content).

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Do you know where I can find this version? I can't find it on the Logitech website. But yes, that is the software I am using.

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024699474--Downloads-Driving-Force-GT

I'm seeing it listed on their downloads. This link should have an option to show all downloads and then choose Windows 10. It was listing the 5.10 version for the wheel.

I believe you also want to have the wheel disconnected when you first start the setup. Part way through, it will ask for it to be connected and then you plug it in. Some games like AC seem to require having a profile setup in the software, I don't remember needing to do that for pcars though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
https://www.gtplanet.net/pc3-new-tire-physics-20200626/

Project CARS 3 won’t have tire wear, fuel consumption, or pit stops...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That will go over as great as when Forza did that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, I guess making it a loving option is too much to ask for.

--edit: Even if you don't wear the virtual tire down to avoid pitstops, you'd still need a proper thermal simulation, no?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 27, 2020

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I mean you also have to teach the AI to use pitstops correctly, which looking at the current crop of sims seems like a non-trivial task. Does it work well in ACC with it's restricted car and ruleset?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

When it's not buggy, pitstops in ACC work pretty well for the AI. The problem is sometimes it bugs out, and "sometimes" is more often than it should be.

Generally speaking though, AI do pitstops fairly well. There's still some annoying bugs where a pitstop won't count for inexplicable reasons with no feedback that you're going to be DSQ until the end of the race, and apparently a lot of time it's that you exited the pit from the wrong lane which is a big problem if you're in the first stall. I *think* that only affects the player car, and it's gotten a bit better (at one point if you crossed over some lines while entering the pit the stop wouldn't count properly either, it seemed).

tl;dr: AI usually pits pretty well in ACC, but pit stops in general are somewhat buggy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GutBomb posted:

https://www.gtplanet.net/pc3-new-tire-physics-20200626/

Project CARS 3 won’t have tire wear, fuel consumption, or pit stops...

So....they reincarnated driveclub?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So....they reincarnated driveclub?

There are worse games to take inspiration from. It really does beg the question though of who the hell this is actually for given it's not appealing to the hardcore sim crowd, it's not going to stand up against Forza 8 and GT7 and it probably won't be drifty funtimes enough to appeal to the people who want a good casual racing game.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It will probably beat Forza and GT to the market so that's going to be it right there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I made a thing for Assetto Corsa. It's the street circuit for the 1990 and 1991 CART Grand Prix of Denver

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/denver-street-circuit.34061/

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Ok now do the proposed Boston indycar course

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kilonum posted:

Oh that's a good idea...

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Kilonum posted:

I bought 4 vip tickets for this thing with paddock access and poo poo. Im still mad it didn't happen and even madder what i had to do to get a refund.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Gran turismo sport owns and not because of its accuracy

driving unsportsmanlike makes you look bad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

driving unsportsmanlike makes you look bad

Huh?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So in GT Sport you’re not allowed to play online until you watch 2 racing eittiquette PSAs and agree to a special EULA. The first one is literally, “what is sportsmanship?” as if you are an alien traveler and have never heard of “sports” before in your entire life. As in, they literally define “sports.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5Kvqctiyw

Then the game makes you agree to an EULA where they can ban you at any time if you’re caught driving in a poor sportsmanlike manner. It’s... incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Taintrunner posted:

So in GT Sport you’re not allowed to play online until you watch 2 racing eittiquette PSAs and agree to a special EULA. The first one is literally, “what is sportsmanship?” as if you are an alien traveler and have never heard of “sports” before in your entire life. As in, they literally define “sports.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5Kvqctiyw

Then the game makes you agree to an EULA where they can ban you at any time if you’re caught driving in a poor sportsmanlike manner. It’s... incredible.

I thought you were loving with me, then I watched the video. "All sports have rules"! "makes you look bad" x1000