Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

By popular demand posted:

So what's the Groverhaus of coding? A 'Hello World' that uses three different nested loops and calls to function libraries so archaic they border on obscene?
OH AND BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY

To be a Groverhaus it has to be a barely-held-together monstrosity made by someone who doesn't really know what they're doing and doesn't care to take the time to learn. Toward that end, I submit basically any code written in the course of creating an academic paper.

I once was hired to work on a program that had been written by a rotation of grad students over the course of about a decade. It was a good 30k+ lines of Python and C++.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Grovercode is the sort of thing that happens when your co-worker who studied psychology in college and has never coded before suddenly decides to write his own time math libraries in Powershell.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

To be a Groverhaus it has to be a barely-held-together monstrosity made by someone who doesn't really know what they're doing and doesn't care to take the time to learn. Toward that end, I submit basically any code written in the course of creating an academic paper.

I once was hired to work on a program that had been written by a rotation of grad students over the course of about a decade. It was a good 30k+ lines of Python and C++.

I'd also submit VB scripts or programs put together by office workers.

I have been guilty of such creations and a couple of them were in fact business critical (thankfully only for a brief period).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Anything done in Office VBA.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Grovercode is the sort of thing that happens when your co-worker who studied psychology in college and has never coded before suddenly decides to write his own time math libraries in Powershell.

Imagining this scenario makes this the most upsetting post I've read on the forums since joining in 2007.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

To be a Groverhaus it has to be a barely-held-together monstrosity made by someone who doesn't really know what they're doing and doesn't care to take the time to learn.

So the SA forums code?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

By popular demand posted:

So what's the Groverhaus of coding? A 'Hello World' that uses three different nested loops and calls to function libraries so archaic they border on obscene?
OH AND BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY

Therac-25

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

CarForumPoster posted:

Imagining this scenario makes this the most upsetting post I've read on the forums since joining in 2007.

I'm sorry.

If it helps, I figured out what he was trying to do when he asked me a question about some sort of function syntax, and I made him tell me what his actual goal was.

And then introduced him to SS64.com

Things are much better now.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Tunicate posted:

Probably some of my code, but storing data in filenames is so much easier than building a DB.

That's just a NoSQL DB, put that poo poo on your resume!

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Having had to write a thousand lines of this two weeks ago, yes.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nerrrrrds

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

groverhaus is technically functional, but inefficiently uses features and materials, to questionable ends

thus grovercode is: bogosort

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LordSaturn posted:

groverhaus is technically functional, but inefficiently uses features and materials, to questionable ends

thus grovercode is: bogosort

I was going to suggest Enterprise Fizzbuzz, but that works.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Grovercode is clearly written in QB64

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Munin posted:

I have been guilty of such creations and a couple of them were in fact business critical (thankfully only for a brief period).

Hey I'm using Powerquery to read a several Intranet pages to do my scheduling for me, so hell yeah I'll waste 3 hours into learning how to tell it what GODDAMN TIME IT IS.

You leave my endless IFS() alone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Munin posted:

Collateral Damage posted:

Ooh wow I've contributed to the thread without posting, look how efficient this VBA script has made me :smug:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was always of the opinion that VB script was specifically invented for email worms, much like how crawl spaces are for hiding the bodies.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I once had manage an embedded media controller (for like, digital signage) that ran Windows CE and could only run VBScript. It also spent the part of its life before I got my hands on it with a public IP address.

So yes, it’s entirely for writing email worms.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So the SA forums code?

Many years ago, the code credit at the bottom of every page on these forums used to read something like,

“Powered by vbulletin, although we did more work on the script than they did.”

If memory serves, the Jelsoft folks got really pissy about this and Lowtax finally had it restored to the canned credit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Many years ago, the code credit at the bottom of every page on these forums used to read something like,

“Powered by vbulletin, although we did more work on the script than they did.”

If memory serves, the Jelsoft folks got really pissy about this and Lowtax finally had it restored to the canned credit.

Correct.

Also changing the copyright dates on the bottom broke the forums.

Load bearing copyright dates.

Thus,

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So the SA forums code?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

turns out we were inside groverhaus, all along

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Leperflesh posted:

turns out we were inside groverhaus, all along

The groverhaus is the shitposts we made along the way.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The groverhaus is the shitposts we made along the way.

Plus a block of concrete

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

How big a block, exactly

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The four hundred pounds of concrete saga happened over five years ago.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Platystemon posted:

Goons have a long memory

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Platystemon posted:

A simpler time really, when we had nary a care in the world except how best to prevent motorcycle theft. :allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

Goons have a long memory

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Zil posted:

Goons have a long memory

It's the modern equivalent of an oral history, and it's fascinating.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cursed

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

SELL EVERYTHING indeed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’s like a timeline of when the drugs were kicking in.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This makes me want some kind of pressure sensing e-paper floor tile that I can rig up to generate random setups for Conway's game of life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
R.I.P.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This makes me want some kind of pressure sensing e-paper floor tile that I can rig up to generate random setups for Conway's game of life.

The obvious use for a switchable colour changing floor tiles technology is to recreate Tomb of the Necrodancer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Scanned that qr code, got goatse'd (thanks)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

If there’s not a groverhaus discord yet there needs to be one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

T-man posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Gunna miss this place guyiz