Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

How about this? If the images still don't update for you, try pressing Ctrl+Shift+R to flush your browser's cache.

Much better, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Arist posted:

I would reformat my table of contents so it only showed the screenshot links, and then put the video links at the start of every post.

Sounds great to me, I'll do that.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Hello, everyone. I've never tried this LP thing before, so I would appreciate it if someone could go over my OP and tell me if anything I plan on doing is unacceptably wrong in some way before I get to work on my first real update.

I would recommend making the portrait backgrounds the same colour. Most people will make them transparent, which would probably look good here too, but even just a single solid colour would be better than some of them having the bubbly background and some of them just being pure depression darkness.

I am also of the opinion that repeating the same portrait for every text box is redundant and doesn't look good. What i like to do when i have multiple boxes from one character (aside from not respecting the game's line breaks unless i feel they actually add something, so i'd have smashed a lot of those together into single lines) is to have a blank image like this () to indent the next line, like so:

quote:

“Much like with regular novels, the story is told through text, and the enjoyment comes from reading it.”

“If you are familiar with the party games ‘Werewolf’ and ‘Mafia’, this visual novel bears a close resemblance to those, but keep in mind it is just that: a resemblance.”

I feel that keeps the new paragraph effect pretty well despite only having the portrait once.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey, thanks for the encoding tips; I've been fiddling with my settings since it appears the game was taking up a whole bunch of GPU processing... for some reason, which didn't leave any overhead for the NVEC to run properly.

Dropping the game from very high to high (which I legit cannot tell apart) made the GPU% usage go from ~90 to ~45. Yeah, I don't know either.

Having said that, I'm still getting the ocassional "encoder overloaded" error which just completely ruins my recordings, so I've gone back to Shadowplay until I sort it out.

Now, quick question: My original (abandoned 4 updates in) thread is super dead (locked for archival). I'm planning to start a new one once I get a couple more updates stashed; should I just post all already published updates at once, or do I just start like nothing happened and post them as if they were regular updates?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How long ago was your original thread?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mraagvpeine posted:

How long ago was your original thread?

2 years almost to the day. :shobon:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In that case, I think starting fresh is fine.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

vilkacis posted:

I am also of the opinion that repeating the same portrait for every text box is redundant and doesn't look good. What i like to do when i have multiple boxes from one character (aside from not respecting the game's line breaks unless i feel they actually add something, so i'd have smashed a lot of those together into single lines) is to have a blank image like this () to indent the next line, like so:

I feel that keeps the new paragraph effect pretty well despite only having the portrait once.

Aha, I had been wondering how to do that myself! That's a very useful tip, thank you.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, with the recent events...
What are some emergency LP discords and poo poo? What's a discord?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

So, with the recent events...
What are some emergency LP discords and poo poo? What's a discord?

There's a link to this subforum's unofficial discord in the OP.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
Is there any other place where people post screenshot LPs? There are like a million and one video lps out there but sslps always seemed unique to SA. Quality ones anyway.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

LPzone exists. Its UI is a crime and every few months when I look at it I either saw lps crossposted from here or stuff that didn't interest me but it exists.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

FeyerbrandX posted:

LPzone exists. Its UI is a crime and every few months when I look at it I either saw lps crossposted from here or stuff that didn't interest me but it exists.
It's also terrible for SSLPs because of the infinite scrolling.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Maybe it could be used together with the SSLP test poster?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Doc M posted:

It's also terrible for SSLPs because of the infinite scrolling.

This.

I was thinking of cross-posting my LP back when LPzone was made, but the UI is just hell. The test poster might be a decent compromise, but how does Baldurk feel on using the test poster and LPix for it? I remember even the mods on LPzone weren't sure about how fair that'd be to him.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Baldurk and the lparchive is probably one of the few things that keeps this place relevant.

If he would be fine with using his hardware and data offsite it would be a big step in enabling an exodus.

But yeah, the infinite scrolling I was bundling in with the criminal UI. I think I only ever opened on thread, but just looking at the main forums gives you enough indication of something fundamentally wrong.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There are definitely more active parts of this forum than Let's Play, but yeah this is the place that's likely the hardest to replace in the way it exists at least while retaining any kind of decently-sized community.

Nothing to it but to wait and see now I suppose, fingers crossed for a solution that replaces the captain but keeps the ship sailing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just finished copying the raw text (because I made edits to the final versions not in my original word documents) of my active Disco Elysium LP and am about to move on to P5R in case we are forced to abandon this place. I don't know if I'll even have the ability to post it again but I'd like to have that security.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Note to thread: The Something Awful Forums owner is under credible accusations of being a serial family abuser, and is rapidly losing patreon supporters.

I would highly advise backing up anything you care about on the forums, and maybe finding a backup venue for your LPs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

thanks dad

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Crossposting here.

Yeah, I think we're done here given Lowtax is a huge piece of poo poo.

https://discord.gg/UdZ9nMZ

Feel free to join my Discord here. We've got a nice community of dinguses and we run a tight ship. There's movie streams and poo poo here.

https://www.patreon.com/thedarkid

Here's me Patreon. You want to throw in a buck that's cool. I'll continue the LP the Shadow Hearts 2 LP there. Sorry, I'm slow on updates lately. Big depression and feeling like poo poo will do that.

https://twitter.com/TheDarkId

And here's my Twitter if you want me to say stupid poo poo and also gently caress the police.

It's been nice and all be here we are in 2020.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just to be clear, there's no way to remove Lowtax from any association with these forums?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS is apparently trying to buy him out last I heard

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Xander77 posted:

Just to be clear, there's no way to remove Lowtax from any association with these forums?

He owns the place 100%, which makes that rather unlikely without him giving in to some sort of deal.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Goddamit. I was just about to (seriously consider giving thought to) start a Sorcery 3 LP. And looking forward to the gift train, which is probably going to be cancelled due to the exodus.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I backed up all my LP's posts but now I gotta figure out where to continue it. loving tumblr? Patreon as a 0 dollar content platform? Roll my own blog??

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

gonadic io posted:

I backed up all my LP's posts but now I gotta figure out where to continue it. loving tumblr? Patreon as a 0 dollar content platform? Roll my own blog??

There is some backstage stuff going on where some mods are trying to resolve this situation in some way that lets us preserve the forum while getting Lowtax out of the picture.

I feel like there's no real harm in just hanging tight for a few days and seeing how the situation develops. I think it's important we make sure we take every effort to keep the community together as much as possible, lest we go the way of the LP Zone.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

TheMcD posted:

I think it's important we make sure we take every effort to keep the community together as much as possible, lest we go the way of the LP Zone.
I was just about to say that people were bringing that up as an alternative.

What's wrong with it?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Don't go to the LP Zone bros ewww

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Xander77 posted:

What's wrong with it?

It's kinda dead, staffing is virtually non-existent, and it's horrible for SSLPs because it doesn't have pagination, just infinite scroll.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

gonadic io posted:

Yeah, all my stuff is backed up (raw text, screenshots, icons, etc.) even for the LPs I have archived, but I have no loving clue what to do with any of it should this site fall apart. My stuff sure as hell isn't good enough to draw in Patreon money, which I'd likely need for image hosting purposes should the Archive/LPix collapse in relation to this whole mess.

TheMcD posted:

I feel like there's no real harm in just hanging tight for a few days and seeing how the situation develops. I think it's important we make sure we take every effort to keep the community together as much as possible, lest we go the way of the LP Zone.

This is my current plan. Just sort of sit and wait to see what happens. Like, obviously stand next to the railing with one hand firmly on the rail, but wait to see if the massive hole that's sinking the ship can be patched before leaping off the side. If someone else manages to buy out the site or wrest control of it from Lowtax, then I'll hang around. Other than that, I'll have to follow everyone's lead and jump off.

Xander77 posted:

What's wrong with it?

The layout is not particularly good. People here have also said that it uses infinite scrolling, which would be a nightmare for a screenshot LP.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Xander77 posted:

What's wrong with it?

Last time I looked it was a ghost town, because the UI was a nightmare and it used dynamic, modern, javascript powered infinite scrolling! For LPs.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

See how this thread is 95 pages long and how it sort of ~16 pagedown presses from bottom to top?

That's not a thing at lpzone, one unending page that you reach the bottom and it loads more.

And this is 16 "pages" of short texts, not an SSLP where you're talking 16 "pages" per update.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
LPZone is apparently dead as poo poo. Most LP threads only have the OP chain posting updates. Also Discourse is the worst possible forums architecture to use for screenshot LPs because of infinite scroll. Even the people that started the site have largely abandoned it in favor of streaming or other stuff.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I don't know what that forum software is called, but it's shittier than anything radium's ever done.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Well poo poo. And here I was thinking of recommending LPZone.

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, I don't know what that forum software is called, but it's shittier than anything radium's ever done.

But does it have a load-bearing slur?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

StillFullyTerrible posted:

But does it have a load-bearing slur?

Probably multiple ones.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like to believe I do good work. I put a lot of effort into my LPs, and I think that it shows. That said, I can't afford to host my SSLPs myself, and I don't think I have enough of a built-in audience to really get away with setting up a Patreon even if I didn't have to solve hosting. The Dark Id managed to make it work, and I'm glad for him, but he's probably the most well-known SSLPer around and he's been doing this like, three times longer than I have. I'm not ragging on TDI, love that guy and love his work, but I hope we can put SA back in our own hands or at least find a new forum (hopefully one that uses BBcode, heh) because I'm pretty much doing this entirely because I like making jokes and I get the good brain chemicals when people say nice things to me on the internet, and while I'd love to be able to have people sending me tips like that I don't know that it's a viable solution for myself or anyone else. I also really just like the format of forum discussions, and I'd hate to lose that.

I think SSLPs might just kind of die if they don't have a proper home, and that would be a real shame.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

For what it's worth, seems there's a few LP subforum folk looking to make an alternative, but it'd require most of us on board to work (and to, y'know, not be terrible for SSLPs like LPzone). It's something to keep an eye on while keeping a close eye on what happens here. Either way, the community is going to be fractured especially if too many alternatives get recommended. That'll be the death of SSLP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Even in the absence of a mass solution, there's plenty of free markup posts plus comments hosting, and I'm pretty sure patreon even lets you make an account and public posts with no patreons. I'm probably going to at least investigate that one myself.