Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Glenn Danzig chilling with several Trans- Sailor Moon cosplayers in 1992 is pretty blessed and funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why do photos from the 80s/90s look like they're from 100 years ago

I distinctly remember new photos (and video on TV, etc) from that era looking sharp and crisp and colorful, and photos like the above were "from the 50s"'

It's not because the photos themselves are aging, because I have scans of college photos that I made at the time that now look super old and crappy

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Data Graham posted:

1) Why do photos from the 80s/90s look like they're from 100 years ago

2) I distinctly remember new photos (and video on TV, etc) from that era looking sharp and crisp and colorful, and photos like the above were "from the 50s"'

3) It's not because the photos themselves are aging, because I have scans of college photos that I made at the time that now look super old and crappy

Three answers for you, in reverse order:

3) Generally, it is because the photos are aging and the colours are fading.
You may have examples for crap photos from the time because it was harder to take good, vibrant photos at the time with the cheap camera/film that people tended to use.

2) Nostalgia is a hell of a filter: I've watched some high quality scans of TV from the time and it is barely watchable now (try it on YT - it surprised me)

1) 1980 was 40 years ago. You're old, dude.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For the record college was only like 25 years ago

... not that you're wrong

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Stuntman posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Ah an ethics lesson from a Kiwifarms poster. How ironic.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Grraarrgghh posted:

They are just reposting a cut and paste post. The optics of hand waving someone bringing abuse accusations to light are pretty bad my goon.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Grraarrgghh posted:

this is a pretty ugly post.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zetsubou-san posted:

the last fifty pages are all the classics

goatse
lemonparty
tubgirl
meatspin
ect.

Dare we... dare we bring back Ackbar?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
gently caress yeah we should

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I like to think that we just lived in that resolution and color pallet and you don’t realize it until you have been enlightened by a new invention a la The Giver. I think it was explained in a Calvin and Hobbes strip by the dad and, now that I am also a dad I would like to adopt this explanation.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Grraarrgghh posted:

Don't do this here or anywhere else in PYF.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If Lowtax is actually canceled, isn't the best thing to do:
1. Keep using the forums like normal
2. Don't do any dumb TOXX or buy new avatars

Use the same amount of bandwidth and give $0 additional dollars

why yes, this is the option that doesn't require me to lose my main daily social interaction, why do you ask?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

If Lowtax is actually canceled, isn't the best thing to do:
1. Keep using the forums like normal
2. Don't do any dumb TOXX or buy new avatars

Use the same amount of bandwidth and give $0 additional dollars

why yes, this is the option that doesn't require me to lose my main daily social interaction, why do you ask?
I mean there's a nonzero chance he's going to turn the forums off out of spite here.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Zereth posted:

I mean there's a nonzero chance he's going to turn the forums off out of spite here.

cutting out your spine to spite your poor impulse control

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I mean I'm 100% in favor of having a backup. I just joined the USPOL Discord but how do I find all the other channels? Dang kids and their new technologies :freep:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I mean I'm 100% in favor of having a backup. I just joined the USPOL Discord but how do I find all the other channels? Dang kids and their new technologies :freep:

https://goondiscordnetwork.com

I also had to just figure this out, and hate it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

fuckin A+, thanks friend!

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

IUG posted:

https://goondiscordnetwork.com

I also had to just figure this out, and hate it.

We have lots of techies on this board. Maybe one of the non-lovely ones will make a new board to replace this one.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

They are just reposting a cut and paste post. The optics of hand waving someone bringing abuse accusations to light are pretty bad my goon.

I take it 100% seriously and gently caress lowtax for being a massive piece of poo poo, but the animosity being formented against the community by offsite drama-mongers can get hosed.

The beef is with the guy who owns the hosting, not SA itself.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:captainpop:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

What am I missing, what is going on?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

The Demilich posted:

Lowtax was outed as a serial abuser. Forums on the whole want none of his poo poo. That’s the short of it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

The Demilich posted:

stickied thread in GBS

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ante posted:

stickied thread in GBS

cool big post on everyone's bookmarks too. and a front page article.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HPanda posted:

Lowtax was outed as a serial abuser. Forums on the whole want none of his poo poo. That’s the short of it.

Less "outed" and more "got accused by a third woman and now people are realizing it really is him."

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Less "outed" and more "got accused by a third woman and now people are realizing it really is him."

Genuine apologies. Thought that’s what that meant in this context. In retrospect, that word does have other connotations.

So anyway, Lowtax is lovely.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3M_wGfYewo

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Uwe Boll needs to open a Patreon to fund a rematch.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

A while ago, some presumed goon wrote a thread scraper for SA. It was a chrome extension supposed to turn an entire SA thread into a single HTML file so the browser user could save it to their HD. It wasn't working so 'Mojo asked me to see if it could fix it.

I forked the code and fixed the error messages, then did it again when chrome started hating on http connections or something. It's now the single thing I have available on github, because it would be rude not to let the orginal author know that somebody still loves his dead gay code:

https://github.com/Fumblemouse/SA-Archiving-Tool

To use:

Hit the big green Clone button and download it as a zip file.

Extract the zip file somewhere on your local hard drive.

In Chrome, go Settings -> More Tools -> Extensions and flick the Developer Mode switch on the top right.

There should now be an option to Load Unpacked on the left. Ignoring the untold comedy potential for that phrase, click the option and find the folder you extracted the zip to - by default, SA-Archiving-Tool-master. Select that folder and click the Open button.

All going well you should now have a hard-to-see SA icon on the chrome extension bar. If you visit a SA thread with a thread ID, eg https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903748 the icon should now be clickable with a single option...Archive.

Click that link, and your local PC will think for a while, depending on your local tubespeed, then display a single page with the entire thread on it. CTRL+S or Rightclick Save As and save it whereever you want. WebPage, Complete will save images also.

Because nothing in life is easy, the saved page's HTML CSS tags refers to something set up by the chrome extension, so it will look a bit crappy in another browser or if you remove the extension. This can be fixed by changing the CSS reference in the Saved As HTML file to the files in the /archive folder from the extracted zipfile - or you could copy the /archive css files into the HTML file's folder and just have the tags as direct links to files (no folder references)

Go crazy!

If you dl a thread, please host the zip and post a link, I think there's a thread for it in pyf.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sebmojo posted:

If you dl a thread, please host the zip and post a link, I think there's a thread for it in pyf.

I joked for years how bad it’d be if someone went back and found my history of shitposting, now I’m sadly wanting to preserve it, thanks!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sebmojo posted:

We talked about in the the quotes thread.

I don’t think there was an archive thread open, but I have since made one.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

:discourse:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If quarantine mutant ninja turtles is what we go out on, god bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.