Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I have purchased lentils. I do not know what goes well with lentils. Any suggestions for easy/tasty lentil dishes? I don't eat pork but am otherwise unrestricted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

DildenAnders posted:

I have purchased lentils. I do not know what goes well with lentils. Any suggestions for easy/tasty lentil dishes? I don't eat pork but am otherwise unrestricted.

What kind of lentils are they?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Lentils? I like them with olive oil and various curry spices. On it's own spiced up it's fine. Whatever Indian type foods and lentils is how I roll.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Helith posted:

What kind of lentils are they?

Just regular greenish/brownish, cheap rear end lentils

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like to make lentil soup, it's really good.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/278763/red-lentil-soup-with-lemon-mint-yogurt/

This is a recipe for red lentils but it works for other varieties too. It'll just look like baby puke but still taste good.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

DildenAnders posted:

Just regular greenish/brownish, cheap rear end lentils

OK, so the type that will break down during cooking.
Look at making dal and middle eastern lentil soups with those.
They will be delicious.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you want easy-but-not-quick, I found these phenomenal.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/zucchini-lentil-fritters-with-lemony-yogurt

Just note before you juice your lemons that it later in the ingredient list calls for lemon zest :negative:

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
If you don't eat pork, try a recipe for lentil soup with a ham hock, and substitute a smoked turkey leg or wings for the hock. Super tasty.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

prayer group posted:

The black label extra hot Valentina is an all-time great hot sauce.

absolute GOAT

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

At the beginnings of Covid I had my brother in law and his husband leave Brooklyn on St. Patricks and come stay at my rural RI house in the woods for 2 months. We bought a lot of staples to stock up on etc when groceries up here started going to poo poo with supplies for a bit. I ended up with a couple of 5lb cryopacks of 80/20 ground beef.

The brothers went back to Brooklyn at the end of May and I never got around to using the beef. Now it's just my wife and I and not really easy to have a big cookout and use up a ton of beef at once. So, how can I use a 5lb cryopack of frozen beef?

I need to figure out a way to defrost it and either refreeze stuff that has been cooked or in some intermediate preparation, or use the beef in a way that is going to last a long time. It's just 2 of us and neither of us eats tons of red meat. It was just super cheap and available at a time when almost no other meat was around so we stocked up on it just in case.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Not sure if ground beef is re-freezable or not. If it is then this solves itself pretty easily.

I had thought to defrost the whole thing, make 5lb of beef worth of meatballs, and then freeze most of the raw meatballs but idk if that's going to gently caress it up too much or not. WSY goons?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Make chilli and ragu Bolognese and freeze that in portions. You can use up your canned tomatoes that you surely are stocked up on as well.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/mejadra-from-jerusalem.html

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

For some reason I thought more thread ops had what I was looking for but a quick look showed me that only the tea thread had a bunch of links.

Is there any online sites that you guys like to use to order ingredients? I'm thinking mostly spices or sauces really but anything interesting might help. The only store I get to shop at is the wal-mart I work at due to lack of car(long term problem) and the deadly virus sweeping the world(a bit more recent) so I occasionally run into the not selling something or other I want or need for a recipe problem.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubG posted:

Take a bunch of habaneros, chop fine, cover with brine, ferment for a couple weeks, hit the mash with a stick bender until smooth, strain pure through fine mesh strainer, take the resulting liquid and add about half as much apple cider vinegar. That's my favourite (liquid/vinegar) hot sauce.

:hmmyes:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

For some reason I thought more thread ops had what I was looking for but a quick look showed me that only the tea thread had a bunch of links.

Is there any online sites that you guys like to use to order ingredients? I'm thinking mostly spices or sauces really but anything interesting might help. The only store I get to shop at is the wal-mart I work at due to lack of car(long term problem) and the deadly virus sweeping the world(a bit more recent) so I occasionally run into the not selling something or other I want or need for a recipe problem.
For spices? Penzeys.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That Works posted:

I need to figure out a way to defrost it and either refreeze stuff that has been cooked or in some intermediate preparation, or use the beef in a way that is going to last a long time.
Freezing the prepared chili/whatever is the way to go here, I wouldn't refreeze it raw. But also, can you just, I dunno, saw or chisel off just as much as you want to thaw and use?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That Works posted:

I had thought to defrost the whole thing, make 5lb of beef worth of meatballs, and then freeze most of the raw meatballs but idk if that's going to gently caress it up too much or not. WSY goons?

Option 1: hack it into more manageable portions while still frozen with some sort of long serrated knife you don't care about too much (an old bread knife, perhaps?)

Option 2: after thawing the whole portion, make meatballs as mentioned above but instead of re-freezing them, brown them all first (but don't cook them through), THEN re-freeze. Now you can pull meatballs from the freezer, drop them directly into your sauce and let them slow-cook up to temperature without having the texture of the meat too adversely impacted by repeated freezing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chicken raising question: once you have a group of chickens that you raised since they were chicks, say 5 of them, do they generally reject any new chickens you bring into the group? My friend added a new hen and... I think they're beating her up when nobody's looking

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Steve Yun posted:

Chicken raising question: once you have a group of chickens that you raised since they were chicks, say 5 of them, do they generally reject any new chickens you bring into the group? My friend added a new hen and... I think they're beating her up when nobody's looking

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601 might be more helpful than this thread.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Is there any online sites that you guys like to use to order ingredients? I'm thinking mostly spices or sauces really but anything interesting might help.

Walmart does pickup and delivery, but don't forget you can also order from their warehouse. It's kind of confusing, but ordering from the warehouse is distinct from getting delivery from your local store, with an entirely different selection. You can find most dry/canned goods there, and you get free delivery on orders over $35. It's been a lifesaver over the past few months. I'm almost always building up my cart to get over $35 for the next order, and the prices are basically identical to brick & mortar prices.

Since March, I've gotten applesauce, flour, chickpeas, yeast, spaghetti, dog food, falafel mix, dry milk, baking powder, honey, pie filling, pecans, tons of spices etc. It really helps supplement the pantry in between my regular pick-up orders.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Is there a GWS discord I can join for future food question related needs

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

Is there a GWS discord I can join for future food question related needs

Yes.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Could I have an invite please

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Short answer: It's tough to introduce full grown birds into a pre-existing flock. The phrase "pecking order" is literally talking about the social dynamics of chickens, where hens peck each other as a show of dominance in order to establish who gets first dibs on foood, prime roosting space, etc. If you just shove a new hen into the mix, all the rest of them are going to immediately move to establish that she's the lowest status. Since hens don't talk or debate, that means that she's just going to get the poo poo pecked and flogged out of her until she either goes away, or accepts that she's on the bottom rung of chicken society.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Could I have an invite please

Would like one as well!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

canoshiz posted:

Would like one as well!

Same, appears I'm going to have to find somewhere else to lurk.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
poke me an invite

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

canoshiz posted:

Would like one as well!

Same. I pretty much just lurk but it's very educational.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
please to invite

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Discord invite please

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

KitConstantine posted:

Same. I pretty much just lurk but it's very educational.

:same:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Samesies

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I've posted an announcement on the matter, which includes a Discord link.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929235

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bless you

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

DildenAnders posted:

This ragu is tasty.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Thanks for all the suggestions! That ragu in particular, if a bit involved, sounds amazing. So far I just boiled them in salted water until somewhat broken down, and ate them with sunny side up eggs and it was really good! Very nutty and earthy.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've had good luck in subbing cooked lentils for where ever you would use ground beef.
Sloppy Joes made with them were pretty good in a white trash way.

OnFire
Jun 2, 2008

Hello goonswithspoons

Going to braai today however been british, I keep messing up the timing and layout of the braai;

I use the following setup: briquettes at the bottom of the barbacue pit > charcoal midlayer > wood on top of the charcoal - note that I avoid spraying on instalight gel (Too many times I've seen f-ups with the stuff)

I noticed with the south africans that they put the meat on towards the end with the briquettes normally ash white however timing wise I haven't been lucky and found the meat undercooked compared to the tasty and juicy cooked meat that I ate in south africa.

Can any goons here guide me on what I am doing wrong?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I like this recipe for Moroccan-ish lentils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Any suggestions to make stir fry more interesting? I'm in a rut, I use ginger, scallion, garlic, garlic/chili paste, tamari, toasted sesame oil, and mushrooms. I have a CSA, so I am just beginning the 'drowning in veg' season. I'm a celiac, so many premade stir fry sauces I have seen have soy sauce (with wheat), and are not an option.